Briefly: iWork '09 reference appears at Apple.com

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With just over an hour to go before Apple kicks off Macworld Expo 2009 with an inaugural keynote presentation from its marketing chief, references to a new version of the company's iWork productivity have appeared at Apple.com.

The Mac maker's software download page lists "iWork '09" as the fourth most popular download. However the associated link, which can be seen on the left-hand side of the page, still takes visitors to the iWork '08 trial download page.

There have been some late rumors that Apple was preparing to announce a radical change in the way it distributes iWork, namely that the suite would be going completely web-based, abandoning the need for native Mac OS X-based iWork applications.

Though largely speculative at this time based on the limited evidence, the one-off reference on the Cupertino-based company's download page suggests that a native version of iWork will remain. It's possible that an Web-based version could supplement that offering.

Apple's Macworld keynote presented by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller will begin at 9:00 a.m. Pacific Time. AppleInsider will provide live coverage of all the happenings at Macworld throughout the week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I love iWork, it's overhauled the way I work, can't wait to see what the new version offers!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Wait. Let's think this through. Isn't this revelation firmly ensconced in the "Most Downloaded" strand? How in the heck can it be #4 in that list (even above the 10.5.6 update) when nobody knows it exists? Have any of YOU downloaded it yet? Has anyone you know?

Something fishy here.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Wait. Let's think this through. Isn't this revelation firmly ensconced in the "Most Downloaded" strand? How in the heck can it be #4 in that list (even above the 10.5.6 update) when nobody knows it exists? Have any of YOU downloaded it yet? Has anyone you know?

Something fishy here.

Perhaps certain developers and beta testers have been downloading it.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I hope some of the iMovie features that were removed for the '08 version will be restored.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... There have been some late rumors that Apple was preparing to announce a radical change in the way it distributes iWork, namely that the suite would be going completely web-based, abandoning the need for native Mac OS X-based iWork applications .... the one-off reference on the Cupertino-based company's download page suggests that a native version of iWork will remain. It's possible that an Web-based version could supplement that offering. ...

I like how even though no-one ever has had any indication that iWork was going "full web-only" that now we can safely disprove this rumour.

You guys manufacture a story, and now you can prove it's wrong. Wow. Brilliant work.

The only rumour that ever existed was merely that there would be a web-based version of iWork (or some of it, or maybe iLife). The part about them dropping the desktop version not only never made any sense, it was never even suggested except in some folks minds.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Perhaps certain developers and beta testers have been downloading it.

Guys,

It's likely the existing ranking for iWork '08. Apple simply changed the text in anticipation of today's new version.

K
  • Reply 7 of 25
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Something fishy here.

The downloads for iWork 08 count as well probably.

They just replaced 08 with 09 in their database, but didn't clear the number of downloads methinks.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    40 minutes to go, right? -8 hours from British time (4.20pm now)?

A new iWork would be nice, always interesting to see this product develop into a worthwhile office suite from basic but nice applications (I bought '05 and had '06 at work, but missed the last one).
  • Reply 9 of 25
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Maybe it's time for me to upgrade my '06 copy, hopefully it will have certain formatting features to make it easier to format to guidelines.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I like how even though no-one ever has had any indication that iWork was going "full web-only" that now we can safely disprove this rumour.

You guys manufacture a story, and now you can prove it's wrong. Wow. Brilliant work.

The only rumour that ever existed was merely that there would be a web-based version of iWork (or some of it, or maybe iLife). The part about them dropping the desktop version not only never made any sense, it was never even suggested except in some folks minds.

I agree. Why the hell would Apple scrap iWork that they've been working on for 4+ years as an Office competitor (for the inevitable time when Microsoft do a runner), and replace it with a load of slow, buggy web apps that require an internet connection all the time.

I can see a use for both, but if you (AppleInsider) even thought that a web only iWork was remotely feasible you need to actually think before you post...
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Doh!

No fixes here for you. Move along.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Dude, it wasn't our report. It was 9 to 5's. Jeeze. We simply covered it like several other publications. Chill OUT. It's unfortunate that I'm realizing some people cannot decipher between our calls and those of another publication... I guess I need to make some changes in the way things are presented going forward.

Kasper
  • Reply 13 of 25
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'd like to use this at work but unfortunately work in a Windows world. \

Do you ever think we'll get Numbers09 for Windows?

Afterall we've been getting Excel for Mac for decades.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I hope some of the iMovie features that were removed for the '08 version will be restored.

Doh!

No fixes here for you. Move along, please.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Doh!

No fixes here for you. Move along, please.

hehe

• Reply 16 of 25
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I wonder if the rumors about web-based iWork might be about Apple developing an online (JavaScript-based) reader for iWork files. That would allow you to email an iWork file to anyone and if they didn't have iWork they could still open and view your file. Maybe even make annotations to it or something simple like that. That would make iWork a little more attractive of an alternative to MS Office because you wouldn't have to worry if the recipient could open your file. And by making it online you wouldn't have to download a new reader application everytime iWork was updated.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Well it's 3.38am Wednesday EPT here so if you want to know what actually was anounced 17.5 hrs ago, I could tell you.

But I've been sworn to secrecy.

So you'll just have to wait half an hour to hear for yourselves.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gastroboy View Post

Well it's 3.38am Wednesday EPT here so if you want to know what actually was anounced 17.5 hrs ago, I could tell you.

But I've been sworn to secrecy.

So you'll just have to wait half an hour to hear for yourselves.

Ok, but could you at least pass on a few good stock tips.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    It is 11:45 EST and the Store is down
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Seems to me this iPhoto '09 is a copy of Picasa