Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

Comments

• Reply 161 of 487
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

That being said, offering iLife and iWork to windows users in a huge "F- you" to microsoft office would be fun. I don't think it would be a great move by apple, and I don't see why they'd do it, but I would like to see Balmer's head explode.

If iLife/iWork (more iLife) was available for Windows, I think it would reverse the trend of people switching to the Mac platform (or at least slow it down). I would bet that for a large percentage of current Mac users, iLife remains one of the reasons why Mac users stay Mac users...
  • Reply 162 of 487
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

Apple will release the pro apps on windows, along with ilife, and iwork. They are getting deeper into corporate with a vmView like desktop virtualzation software. Then 3D displays replace the current displays haha.. Cats and Dogs living together... Snow Leopard will be a free release for 10.5 owners.. They release iSteve and ioBama..

Home cloning software, make your own human in a box. They make a 4k display, 12 core Mac pros. Blu ray comes to mac, home media library software for dvd, etc.

Wait, 4k display, 12 core Mac pros and Blu ray come after home cloning software?

• Reply 163 of 487
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Straws are there to be grasped, I guess.
  • Reply 164 of 487
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

If iLife/iWork (more iLife) was available for Windows, I think it would reverse the trend of people switching to the Mac platform (or at least slow it down). I would bet that for a large percentage of current Mac users, iLife remains one of the reasons why Mac users stay Mac users...

Oh, I agree 100% with that. The fact that it comes on your computer when you buy it is a huge bonus, and a good "apple tax" response. Now if iWork was also preinstalled at no additional cost, that really might bring the switchers.
  • Reply 165 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Straws are there to be grasped, I guess.

Says the guy who's pushing the rest of us into the lake. \
  • Reply 166 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Oh, I agree 100% with that. The fact that it comes on your computer when you buy it is a huge bonus, and a good "apple tax" response. Now if iWork was also preinstalled at no additional cost, that really might bring the switchers.

It would also persuade me to start using it, as opposed to MS for Mac which I already own.

If i buy a new computer that has iWork, and I like it, i'm likely to shell out the 80 dollar upgrade for the next iteration. I'm less likely to switch to iWork blindly.

So, personally, I think it makes sense to include iWork for free: but I suppose it all depends on how well it is selling now, market share, etc., stuff that i'm in no means qualified to even hazard a guess at.
  • Reply 167 of 487
    You read it here first:

The main products to appear until mid-February 2009:

- An updated Mac Mini in reduced form factor;

- An iPhone Nano;

- a 25th Ann. Mac with a 30-inch display and FrogDesign-like lines.
  • Reply 168 of 487
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

You read it here first:

The main products to appear until mid-February 2009:

- An updated Mac Mini in reduced form factor;

- An iPhone Nano;

- a 25th Ann. Mac with a 30-inch display and FrogDesign-like lines.

Off to the asylum with you.

Next.
  • Reply 169 of 487
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Ireland, dude, you can tell me? I'll keep it on the dl?!
  • Reply 170 of 487
    You should post it online somewhere, and we all *promise* not to look until after the announcement. That way we'll know if you really knew anything.
  • Reply 171 of 487
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

You should post it online somewhere, and we all *promise* not to look until after the announcement. That way we'll know if you really knew anything.

He just sent all the details in a private message to my AI account. As you suggested, I have promised not to read it until after the event. Can't wait to see if he was correct.
  • Reply 172 of 487
    Windows API's built into snow leopard?
  • Reply 173 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

This is it!!

It matches all the clues. Weather, software related but not exactly, not a buyout or merger...
  • Reply 174 of 487
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

This is it!!

It matches all the clues. Weather, software related but not exactly, not a buyout or merger...

The only windows apps I care about anymore are PC games.....thats it. If the mac OS could run certain windows apps natively then I would no longer have a reason to have a windows machine in the house.
  • Reply 175 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

The only windows apps I care about anymore are PC games.....thats it. If the mac OS could run certain windows apps natively then I would no longer have a reason to have a windows machine in the house.

Apple has a history of adopting open-source stuff and taking the lead, so it would be very likely that they take up the WINE-ish project if they made this move, possibly building on CrossOver, Cider, or one of the other such projects. Question is, how much of an advantage does Apple have over those groups, which haven't gotten very far towards a general purpose, works-with-anything-you-throw-at-it set of Windows APIs.

I don't see Windows ever licensing Apple to do this, so if they were to do something like that, Apple would still have to reverse-engineer the API's. Even with the advantage of legions of professional, paid programmers, I question how much more successful they'd be than the purely open-source efforts.
  • Reply 176 of 487
    Assuming this is the big news (alright, alright, I know I'm getting away from myself here), it would definitely be as big, or bigger, of a game changer as the Intel transtion.

And worthy of Andy Ihnatko's (and Ireland's) reactions.

That would be BIG.

(And bad for Parallels and VMWare Fusion, at least as far as there desktop divisions are concerned.)
  • Reply 177 of 487
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

As someone who uses AutoCAD via Parallels on a daily basis, I would definitely welcome this, although I would rather see Autodesk stop being stubborn and put out a mac version. The last one was 12 (early 90s), and getting them to put out a new Mac version of their software is like getting Apple to update their desktops (and, I might add, both have lead people to look elsewhere).
  • Reply 178 of 487
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philbot View Post

Death of OS X - no-one has any reason to write Mac-specific software any more.
  • Reply 179 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Death of OS X - no-one has any reason to write Mac-specific software any more.

Nonsense. People don't buy OS X for the 3rd-party software that's available. It may decrease OS X 3rd party development, but as long as people are still buying the operating system, that's neither here nor there, except that it puts a huge onus on Apple to keep the API's working.

Also, even though it may be "seamless" and so on, there presumably would still be advantages to writing native software, for example, performance.

If Apple were really after market share gains, it would be a good way to do it. Later on when they have 30-40% market share (**pie-in-the-sky**) they could slow the release of Windows API's to encourage developers to develop specifically for mac.
  • Reply 180 of 487
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I can't believe you guys are still going along with this.

There will be no compatibility layer because the WINE team who reverse engineer Microsoft's APIs have been doing this sort of thing for a while now and the compatibility is very poor. Oh but Apple have a magical license to recreate the Windows OS from the original source and it still won't bloat up the OS they are trying to reduce the footprint on?

It opens up security risks and it adds a support headache when users try to install software that just doesn't work. Lots of games require drivers now for content protection and they won't work.

Every time Apple don't do something for a while, the same old laundry lists of really great things Apple could do get dusted off only to be put back when Apple actually do something and it's completely underwhelming.

The rules to satisfaction are simple: believe no-one, hope for nothing. It's not as if they pay attention to what users are asking for.

The software we know is coming includes Snow Leopard and that alone is worth waiting for. The hardware we can be pretty sure is coming include Gainestown Mac Pros and at worst updated iMacs and Minis with the latest Core 2 Duos and Nvidia chipsets. I don't see that there needs to be a fictional holy grail when those things sound pretty good to me. They just need to get a move on and release them.