Apple's iPhone may have outsold Android nearly 6-to-1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UralBas View Post

Once all final numbers are in we shall see.

Fact is, 1 million G1's were sold in 3 days less then the iphone (71 to 74 days). Which goes to prove that the G1 was a success,

http://www.googleandblog.com/android...n-iphone/3564/

Yes, when the numbers are all in, we SHALL see.

Funny how your "fact" is garbage. Just keep clicking back to the source of the 1M figure. It's a reputed manufacturer estimate of how many G1s would be made by the end of 2008, back in November. Hardly a number to hang one's hat on as a "fact".

The fact is, there was no way the G1 would ever sell as quickly as the original iPhone. The iPhone could be used all over the US, wherever EDGE was available. T-Mo's 3G network was only up and running in 15 cities when the G1 launched. No matter how good the G1 is/was, it was not going to sell 1M when the launch was so small.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    What I really love about cellphone ads is that ALL of the screenshots are "SIMULATED"! Just look at the fine print when the ads start. Yes, the Blackberry Storm = simulated. The HTC G1 = simulated. The BB Bold = simulated. Etc., etc., etc. Of course the only cellphone ad where there is no need for a disclaimer are iPhone ads.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    When is Apple's quarterly financial call? All of these speculated numbers but aren't we a day or week away from knowing the actuals?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    I sold my 3G iPhone as well. I really liked it. But I love the G1 much more. The iPhone certainly has a slicker more consistent UI, but the physical keyboard on the G1 alone is enough. The G1 is as responsive, has plenty of cool free apps (although they need to do something about the comment section of the Android Market), is open (I installed a friend's software from a file he sent me by mail) and highly extensible. The hardware is okay. But the Android IMO is superior to the iPhone and Apple had better watch out. In my group at work, in October, about 10 or so of us had iPhones. Today two of us have switched to the G1 and four more have bought the G1. So the iPhones still outnumber the G1s, but it doesn't bode well in the long term for Apple, unless they change some policies (the phone is fine).
  • Reply 25 of 51
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Just face it, Android - although welcomed - has only one thing going for it and that is a high-geek factor. Their current v1 iteration is quite fugly hardware-wise so it comes to no surprise that it is not a big player yet. Don't get me wrong, a lot a geeks have iPhones too but it is also a more consumer-popular product which is what Apple had the advantage in terms of getting mass-acceptance.

I think Android will be a niche player in the long run only because the phone manufacturers will not play well with the software developers and it will become too fragmented. It has been shown in the past and I believe the companies will go down kicking and screaming before they hand over the keys to everything in their products.

Like it or not, Apple does well because it has total control over the hardware and software and they really do stand out among smart phones. I wonder what was Google thinking when their first phone was introduced. It was nowhere near prime time on both the hardware and software front.

The argument that it was Google's first attempt doesn't hold water here. I mean honestly, put Apple's v1.0 iPhone next to Google's v1.0 phone and just on the complete user experience, looks, quality, etc., Apple had a much more polished first-time product.

And don't even start with the 1.x firmware problems the iPhone had. That's a different subject. How many phones were sold by Apple in its first quarter of introduction compared to Google even with the buggy iPhone firmware and no App Store?
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Well, the iPhone has had a marketing campain for more than a year, and the Android has had how much? I don't think these statistics say anything about how good the phones are.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    I love my iPhone 3G but still, no cut and paste and turn by turn. I have given up on the bugs or when browsing, it just closes. Still, nothing comes close.

To be fair though, Android has not been out long and Palm Pre rumored to be $119 looks like the bomb.

I think Apple will be playing catch up sooner rather than later - note the rumored iPhone price cuts. Unlike OS X and Mac hardware, developers are going to use Android and software like the palms in droves. You watch. I've never been wrong. Apple can loose market share in this business fast, especially since companies like Palm will price very agressivly as will Android developers. In addition, there are many PEEVED Apple app store developers who got shunned or told NO by Apple and are gladly developing for the open sourced platforms.

We think the iPhone is all that and a bag of chips and it is, for now anyway, but the problem is, it's Apple and everything about them is CLOSE ENDED and in the end, as TV transitions into mobile devices, companies are going to stream video, create HD phones, GPS turn by turn and offer devices that record TV and closed ended systems, App Store and Apple TV (and to some respect mac computers) will lose marketshare and some will go the way of the doo doo bird, ala Apple TV. One of the biggest failures since the Cube.

Just telling you like it is as its unfair to compare an Android OS that hasn't really seen the light of day. IMHO, Palm is going to come out like a hurricane and it looks to be really great.

Remember, whomever creates the OS with streaming TV, real time, high end content towers, ends up the winner and in Apples circle of NON FREE, CLOSE ENDED, DEVELOPERS CANNOT TALK TO DEVELOPERS, I see them going back down to 3-5%. Only if Jobs stays away and the marketing "GETS IT" will Apple do well.

Right now is not the time for high end, close minded, proprietary hardware and displays that have DRM built in just won't cut it.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    when g1 will become a real phone... then loose infrastructure and non-working applications will ruin g1...
  • Reply 29 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

when g1 will become a real phone...

Oh and for those that think Android won't have sleek phones, one simply has to google Android, actually, no, you wouldn't get this story, you would have to have heard it on a TECH pod cast but believe you me, Android is in its infacy as is Web streaming TV/Movies/Entertainment and Apples solutions for this are all proprietary/closed ended.

Here is a story from the iPhone LEAD developer working on a touchscreen HOME phone:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/01/ni..._engineer.html

Apple had better wake up and stop worry about petty things such as the <1% of the market = PRO users wanting to use a Macbook for Pro Apps therefore removing firewire or changing on-board GMA on the last model to one that went from 171% to 70% simply due to websites like barefeats reporting you could run motion/shake (still no games) so Apple onlt crippled it to hit the PRO users and force them to buy high end. Sorry Apple but times are tough, others are catching up and you iPhone developers and App developers you shunned, not to mention the billions in TV crossnet internet programming coming, does not bode well.

They have to start thinking outside the box -Apple is becoming STALE and are reaching a plateau.

More products had better come and probably will before Jobs returns (highly unlikey as we will hear the truth that he is not doing well), giving the impression Apple is fine when in fact, it was Jobs that planned this ever since the bailing of Mac World. All the rumors sites were 100% dead wrong, yet the OS showed updated hardware. This is due to Apple pulling the products with plans on releasing down the road while Steve is gone.

C'mon Apple, start to bring back the "Think Different" and in order to compete, they will have to price aggressive- watch, as many investors will say this in about 1~1.5 years. Look for Apple to get to $55.00 unless new products come out.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Android is in its infacy

so, no headphones right now... i see...

Quote:

believe you me,

sorry for my english... pray stay patient
  • Reply 31 of 51
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

...Apples circle of NON FREE, CLOSE ENDED, DEVELOPERS CANNOT TALK TO DEVELOPERS...

Developers who blog about freedom, you're in Room A.

Developers who want to make big chunks of cash, you're in Room B.

OK OK, Room B is getting really crowded. Standing room only guys.

Room A please read this:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/01/a...ps-iphone-nda/

Please guys, don't all rush into Room B.

C.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

What I really love about cellphone ads is that ALL of the screenshots are "SIMULATED"! Just look at the fine print when the ads start. Yes, the Blackberry Storm = simulated. The HTC G1 = simulated. The BB Bold = simulated. Etc., etc., etc. Of course the only cellphone ad where there is no need for a disclaimer are iPhone ads.

Except in the UK, where Apple have had several ads banned and the rest have big disclaimers at the bottom.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Horescrap. It has to be considered a success when T-Mobile USA reveals the sales for the phones it actually sells. Let's see how it faired against the Blackberry and Windows Mobile phones.

If T-Mobile USA sold iPhones the gap of total G1 phones sold in the US would be even greater.

PigsAss..... if AT&T sold G1s being the much bigger network...what then??? have a think about it...

At 6 to 1 the the G1 has done very well. The G1 is just not there, from a hardware / usability point of view, with new devices being released this year i can only see sales going up. Also the G1 is going to be bought by people with 1/2 a brain while the Iphone is fad right now. If a new phone comes out that appeals to the Fad crowd, the iphone will be the big looser, while people buying G1s are not buying cause it hip and cool....as can be seen by the current G1.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

Thank god my 3g iphone is twice as fast as my original iphone.... Now if only the rest of the industry was as honest as Apple marketing the world would be a much happier place..
  • Reply 35 of 51
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    I might have a hazy memory but...doesnt this analyst have the WORST track record for predicting AAPL results of any of them out there? Take what she says with a block of salt.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

If that's true, and the ratio is only 6 to 1, it has to be considered a incredible success for the Android phone.

I was thinking the same thing. Anywhere near 6 to 1 is a huge success for the Android phone...
  • Reply 37 of 51
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Apple has brand.

Android has geek fetish.

Does anything else need to be said?

Until Google gets a name for hardware, they will not be a competitor. Most consumers are not looking at 'software' first. They want the hardware, they pay for the shinny. Software is the nice after thought. This trend is changing, and Apple is leading the way, by offering both.

There is a changing trend among us geeks, but main stream consumerism is looking at hardware and brand first over fringe products.

I believe the HDD vs Blu war cemented the 'consumer watch' to pick a strong brand. They don't want to 'invest' in a loser.

Apple has finally broken into mainstream conciseness.

It took Apple decades to develop a brand name that people trust... you can't expect a "search engine" company to deliver a phone.

I think Google's largest competitor is RIM. Apple is in a class of it's own because of it's brand.

Obama pack's a RIM product. He won't give it up.

That is marketing that companies dream of.

The iPhone is a glorified iPod that makes phone calls. How Apple takes on RIM in the next year will decide the future of the company without SJ.

My thoughts may be broken as i've discovered the Nectar D'or by Glenmorangie.

My god, this single malt Scotch is kicking my ass.

Happy new year... can we still say that?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Apple has brand.

Android has geek fetish.

Apples [sic] and oranges.

Apple is a company, Android is a mobile OS.

Apple has a brand. Google has a brand.

Only geeks care/know that the iPhone runs Mobile OSX. Only geeks care/know that the G1 runs Android.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfabulous View Post

"We will extend an open hand to all those who will unclench their fists" - Go Obama!!!

Bring that iPhone of yours to the White House...

"O" uses a crackberry.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Yea my memory wasnt crazy Dont pay the slightest bit of attention to the data comming from this particular analcyst. Her past performance:

"But even that paled next to the nosedive Apple (AAPL) took after Morgan Stanley?s Kathryn Huberty, citing slowing global consumer demand, cut her price target to $115 from $178 and her recommendation on Apple from ?overweight? to ?equal-weight.? (see Apple bruised in downgrades)

In a survey of eight leading Apple analysts last September, Huberty was rated the ?worst? based on her ability to estimate the company?s quarterly sales (see chart at right). For fiscal Q2, for example, she predicted that Apple would sell only 1 million iPhones. Actual iPhone sales that quarter were 1.7 million. "