Apple's iPhone may have outsold Android nearly 6-to-1

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Android is just another toy product in a long line of Google "eternal beta" crapola products.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Cell provider's networks aren't public infrastructures.

Just because the android OS is open source doesn't mean that developers will be able to create anything.

Yeah....it's open<sarcasm>

You can put the binary to an app up on your own website. Others can download and install it outside of the Android Market.

Yes. It's open.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Your whole post is a pretty nasty piece of work, but the implication that Apple "charges" you to develop for the iPhone is particularly misleading nonsense.

Can I write an app and run it on the iPhone free of charge?

Then, can I give you the app and have you run it on your iPhone, still free of charge?
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

so, no headphones right now... i see...

sorry for my english... pray stay patient

Interestingly enough, after posting this, I ran across the following news.

Of course, Apple fell to its lowest in years, slipped by 4+ dollars.

You have Android in just a few markets as I type, however,

T-Moblie says G1 will ship to Austria, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic and more and state today that the G1 is the most successful phone T-Mobile. A slow start but its partners are gearing up for many more types of phones and the Android has been out for a short time compared to the iPhone. The iPhone also had a 24% drop in sales in the last quarter.

Additionally, a bloomberg piece is looking into about Jobs leave of absence, additionally,

analysts are sizing up apple shares and are reporting(Zachs, example), is reporting that they remain concerned of slowing iPOd sales as the category matures, and don't believe recent launches will be enough to drive a meaningful upgrade cycles, add a terrible economy and that is bad for Apple. Fortunes Bernstein and Gene Munster thinks Apple should do okay but others like Sackanogy report lowered their earnings and see's a decline in sales.

I think Apple has their work cut out for them as some users upset with the AT&T only, lack of firewire that affected thousands of musicians, mom and pop video camcorder users and many who used target mode, combined with copy protection displays and the rumored mini with the atom = a recipe for diaster.

Apple needs some mid range products and needs to step away from the AT&T deal.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

Then, can I give you the app and have you run it on your iPhone, still free of charge?

Can I get a virus on my iPhone? Not very easy! Can it easily get hacked into because of some malicious app? Not very easy! Why, because there is a gatekeeper. It don't see this as a big issue and developers don't either or else they would be bitching up a storm in droves. Sure you have a few complaining, but you can't make everyone happy. Not matter what you do you're gonna make someone very happy, and piss off someone else.

Also, judging by the number of apps on the iPhone store (over 15,000 and growing strong), I don't think thats a real issue. You're making something out of nothing here. Developers have already stated that they're are unsure if they want to develop and support multiple platforms. The great thing about the iPhone too is there is only 1 phone, not 20 different phones running the iPhone OS. This is what the Android OS will become eventually. So now you have to develop for a platform and make you apps adaptable for different phones with different screen sizes, different buttons, etc. Its a model that may or may not work, but my money is on the side of it not working in the long run.

If Apple would just make a damn Verizon based iPhone it would be an absolute killer in the US. I guarantee you it would be untouchable. Apple binding itself to AT&T is its worst enemy.....
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Welcome to AI, UralBas and os2baba!

Now, who do you work for.........?
  • Reply 47 of 51
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Interestingly enough, after posting this, I ran across the following news.

Of course, Apple fell to its lowest in years, slipped by 4+ dollars.

You have Android in just a few markets as I type, however,

T-Moblie says G1 will ship to Austria, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic and more and state today that the G1 is the most successful phone T-Mobile. A slow start but its partners are gearing up for many more types of phones and the Android has been out for a short time compared to the iPhone. The iPhone also had a 24% drop in sales in the last quarter.

Additionally, a bloomberg piece is looking into about Jobs leave of absence, additionally,

analysts are sizing up apple shares and are reporting(Zachs, example), is reporting that they remain concerned of slowing iPOd sales as the category matures, and don't believe recent launches will be enough to drive a meaningful upgrade cycles, add a terrible economy and that is bad for Apple. Fortunes Bernstein and Gene Munster thinks Apple should do okay but others like Sackanogy report lowered their earnings and see's a decline in sales.

I think Apple has their work cut out for them as some users upset with the AT&T only, lack of firewire that affected thousands of musicians, mom and pop video camcorder users and many who used target mode, combined with copy protection displays and the rumored mini with the atom = a recipe for diaster.

Apple needs some mid range products and needs to step away from the AT&T deal.

Time will tell.

GOOG lost 400, not 4. Did I miss something about that?

Oh, analysts... Tomorrow they will put it in another way, then they will do a nice run touching all bases.. That's hilarious and should imminently do some good to the economy...

People may like AT&T's challengers or France Telecom's ones. They all keep saying there was no honest offer. This is not the whole truth. They weren't up to the deal. Lack of notoriety alone was enough to influence Apple's judgment, and frankly it was far worse than that.

Yet I'd call firewire more exotic than headphones when it's a kind of walkman....
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Article says the number of iPhones sold is based on _predictions_. However, Apple just released actual numbers for the last quarter (No idea why they call it the first quarter; it's the one ending in December, anyway): http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009...sr=hotnews.rss

"Unit sales of iPhone 3G continued to be significant in the quarter ended December 27, 2008, with 4.4 million iPhones sold."

Which means that, during the last quarter, the ratio was 14:1, not 6:1.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trasz View Post

Article says the number of iPhones sold is based on _predictions_. However, Apple just released actual numbers for the last quarter (No idea why they call it the first quarter; it's the one ending in December, anyway): http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009...sr=hotnews.rss

"Unit sales of iPhone 3G continued to be significant in the quarter ended December 27, 2008, with 4.4 million iPhones sold."

Which means that, during the last quarter, the ratio was 14:1, not 6:1.

4.4 million iphones ---- is for WORLDWIDE.

The 6:1 ratio was US only --- which means with lowered iphone sales in the SEC filing, the actual ratio is lowered as well.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:

I think Apple will be playing catch up sooner rather than later - note the rumored iPhone price cuts. Unlike OS X and Mac hardware, developers are going to use Android and software like the palms in droves. You watch. I've never been wrong. Apple can loose market share in this business fast, especially since companies like Palm will price very agressivly as will Android developers. In addition, there are many PEEVED Apple app store developers who got shunned or told NO by Apple and are gladly developing for the open sourced platforms.

Wow, someone who's "never been wrong"! What a hoot. Palm, yeah, they can't even get anyone to sell their Treo Pro. And, the Pre, whenever it comes out in June or July is going to be sold thru Sprint. Their 3rd among 4 wireless carriers, and losing share. I'm sure all those "PEEVED Apple app store developers", all 5 or 6 are going to make a big splash developing for someone else. There are already 15,000+ apps in the iPhone AppStore. Who cares about a few unhappy developers?

Quote:

We think the iPhone is all that and a bag of chips and it is, for now anyway, but the problem is, it's Apple and everything about them is CLOSE ENDED and in the end, as TV transitions into mobile devices, companies are going to stream video, create HD phones, GPS turn by turn and offer devices that record TV and closed ended systems, App Store and Apple TV (and to some respect mac computers) will lose marketshare and some will go the way of the doo doo bird, ala Apple TV. One of the biggest failures since the Cube.

Okay, so now you're predicting the future, and you have no way of knowing who will get there first, but since you're never wrong... By the way, you do realize that the "CLOSE ENDED" Apple is the one who developed WebKit and GAVE it to the open-source community. Yep, Apple. And, who is using it? Google's Android. Palm's Nova. Adobe AIR. Nokia's S60. Crap, that's all of Apple's competitors!!! Thanks Apple for being so "CLOSE ENDED"! <sarcasm>

Quote:

Just telling you like it is as its unfair to compare an Android OS that hasn't really seen the light of day. IMHO, Palm is going to come out like a hurricane and it looks to be really great.

I have no doubt that Android will replace WinMo in the marketplace; however, criticising the G1 does not mean one is criticising Android. You obviously like the canned demo of the Palm Pre. Let's just wait and see how you like them web-based apps. When Apple did web-based apps, all those developers you talked about were screaming foul. Now that Palm is doing web-based apps, aka widgets, it's all hurricaney lovey-dovey.

Quote:

Remember, whomever creates the OS with streaming TV, real time, high end content towers, ends up the winner and in Apples circle of NON FREE, CLOSE ENDED, DEVELOPERS CANNOT TALK TO DEVELOPERS, I see them going back down to 3-5%. Only if Jobs stays away and the marketing "GETS IT" will Apple do well.

Dude, you do know that Slingbox is working on their Slingplayer beta for the iPhone right now. I'm signed up for the beta. They showed it off at CES. There's your streaming TV. I'll be able to stream my cable service to my iPhone in China.

There's so much wrong in your SHOUTING, it's laughable.

Quote:

Right now is not the time for high end, close minded, proprietary hardware and displays that have DRM built in just won't cut it.

Wow, you are really brain-washed. All new, GOOD, LCD displays being sold today, are either DVI-HDCP or HDMI or MiniDisplay-HDCP compliant. They ALL have DRM built in to allow you to play HD content. Are you that stupid?
  • Reply 51 of 51
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

This is why Apple has an approval process...

Android App Destroys memory, and installs adware

Apple doesn't look so stupid now does it?