Apple says 17-inch MacBook Pros will see further delays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 72
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, I ordered the 17" with the anti-glare option, 256GB SSD and the 2.93 GHz CPU one day after the announcement (and already got two 4 GB DIMMs from a third party)... until now I have never received a confirmed shipping date, and just today the information in the store changed from a "2-3 weeks" to a "4-5 weeks" estimate.

I am not really that angry about it though. My present 17" MBP is still doing fine and I can enjoy having a good (non-black) keyboard a bit longer, unfortunately this is no longer an option.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    Not sure I would be first in line for a machine that is still having issues this close to release !

Good luck to all who are waiting though....
  • Reply 23 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordyoupeoplearedense View Post

Phil says "end of January." I order two hours later. Ship date: Feb 4. Wait a month. Now wait two more weeks. Pathetic. If they couldn't get the computers ready until mid-February, they shouldn't have announced the things until mid-February.

That's just dumb sour grapes. I rather know about a product ASAP so I am a more informed shopper than buy right before the new model comes out. I'd be more pissed now not knowing there would be a 17" than I am that I'm not getting it on time.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark 2000 View Post

That's just dumb sour grapes. I rather know about a product ASAP so I am a more informed shopper than buy right before the new model comes out. I'd be more pissed now not knowing there would be a 17" than I am that I'm not getting it on time.

I agree with the basics of the above, but would like Apple to be a bit more honest about time frames. Standing up and saying that the new project will be released soon, or in a month, etc, is better than giving a date and then missing it by 6 weeks.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I agree with the basics of the above, but would like Apple to be a bit more honest about time frames. ...

Why do people assume that just because it's late, Apple was being dishonest about the first release date?
  • Reply 26 of 72
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    This way they can suck up more cash on component price drops over the extra couple of months! Brilliant!
  • Reply 27 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revs View Post

I'm holding out until the next revision and cant help thinking that the more these are delayed, the more the next revision will be delayed.

My thoughts exactly. And I feel this is an already delayed product, as it was expected at the same time as the 15" MBP release in late 2008.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

This is exactly why Apple isn't doing MacWorlds anymore. They weren't ready to ship this, but knew they had to release something at the keynote and this was the closest thing they could get out. If you've noticed everything they release when they call an Apple Event ships that day (or they give a confirmed shipping date). Its hard to predict when a product is going to ship when its not ready to ship the day its announced.

BTW...I don't believe Apple owes you squat! Sorry Charlie, I've had to wait for many things in life, longer than I was told. Its just one of those things where you say "shit happens". Its not like Apple is purposely delaying this shipment. It hurts Apple as much as it does you. They aren't making any money off it until it ships, mean while they're still pouring money into this product.

Finally, someone with a little common sense.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    Agony!

I ordered the 17" back in early January along with the 24" LED Display which I received 2 days later. I looked at 24" display everyday and the empty space next to it on my desk for a few weeks, before putting 24" back in the box and hiding it in the closet so it would torture me..... I can't even power up the LED without a mini-display port machine..... Rant, Grumble....

BTW did everyone receive this email:
    Quote:

As a result, we will be unable to ship your 17-inch MacBook Pro

until February 19, 2009.

That sounds like one big fed ex pick up
  • Reply 30 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordyoupeoplearedense View Post

Phil says "end of January." I order two hours later. Ship date: Feb 4. Wait a month. Now wait two more weeks. Pathetic. If they couldn't get the computers ready until mid-February, they shouldn't have announced the things until mid-February.

Duh, now you know why Apple hates the Macworld Expo. They don't really have much control over their suppliers either.
  • Reply 31 of 72
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Why do people assume that just because it's late, Apple was being dishonest about the first release date?

Good point, it would either be dishonest, incompetent or just overly optimistic. If I give you a date on a piece of software being due, and it slips (not saying that it never happens), it is because I didn't speck it correctly, or I under estimated the time it would take to complete. That close to the release and a 3 week delay means that they were not finished with supply chain provisioning, there was still risk in the estimate, which they could have disclosed. Even a "Should be shipping . . ." would be more forthcoming.

I love apple, probably one of the fan boys people talk about. The danger here is that when Apple gives a date and misses it, there credibility is diminished.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    What a bunch of whining crybabies. Apparently no one knows how to read either. It is not a quality control problem, it is not a technical problem, it is a parts issue. Can't ship a computer missing a part. Apple doesn't owe anyone shit. You pre-ordered it, so wait for it. If you don't want to bitch and complain about waiting for a new product, wait until they are readily available and pick one up in person.

I like the guy complaining about having to contine to work on his existing 17" MacBook Pro! Give me a break! I am interested to know why someone needs to replace a perfectly good MacBook Pro with another MacBook Pro. I guess you are able to waste your money on a lot of things that aren't really necessary.
  • Reply 33 of 72
    hbghbg Posts: 8member
    I've said it before- they're trying to fix the mess they have with the new mini display port and it not working right with external displays. It is a real mess right now with the 15" unibody for this same issue. I'd bet money this is the reason.
  • Reply 34 of 72
    ahmlcoahmlco Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

I have only been following Apple for about 3 and 1/2 years, but it seems to me that they are really struggling with their quality control in light of their market share growth.

How do you translate a component shortage or delay (which the article implies) with "really struggling with their quality control"?

If we hear about problems AFTER they ship it then you can complain about QC issues. Until then...
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

.... it is because I didn't speck it correctly, or I under estimated the time it would take to complete....

Or because someone else that YOU were depending on failed to meet THEIR delivery date.

In which case you suck it up, walk into your boss's office, and tell him it's going to miss.
  • Reply 36 of 72
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Well, if this is yet another in the long line of recent Apple QC issues at least they caught it before the product shipped.

How many other companies end up deciding to ship products early that aren't ready? I look at this as Apple being proactive and preventing a future problem. Apple gets ripped-on for delaying a product to make sure it's of the standards that the consumer has grown to expect from Apple.

In five minutes of receiving your MBP, you'll have forgotten the drama and find an excuse to complain about something else.

People's remarks just cements the notion of a me-me, instant-gratification, "I want now" mentality.

Thank you Apple for preferring to wait a few more weeks to make sure it is working just the way you want it to and not succumbing to the whims of people that think they know how to run a company better than you.
  • Reply 37 of 72
    I pity the wives of any of you guys, what you gonna do when she goes past her due date? sue? ask for a couple of hundred dollars in software?

GROW UP!
  • Reply 38 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I pity the wives of any of you guys, what you gonna do when she goes past her due date? sue? ask for a couple of hundred dollars in software?

Wait... you can do that?????
  • Reply 39 of 72
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "Apple has told at least one customer that it is waiting on certain components specific to the 17-inch MacBook Pro from its supply chain before it can begin shipping the notebooks."

Must be the flux capacitor.
  • Reply 40 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Must be the flux capacitor.

HAHA! Good one!