Apple says 17-inch MacBook Pros will see further delays

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    We went through this ballyhoo when the Mac Book Air was announced in 2008 and a blizzard hit China along with a National Chinese Holiday. It is over a year later and no one is complaining about that issue as they are contentedly using the product.

It gets here when it does. I remember when some of the new MacPro towers were announced. The fact that certain video cards did not show up for six months (shown as backordered at the store) did not preclude the option of purchasing a lesser machine.

The lesser machine in this time period is the 15" Mac Book Pro. The difference is speed between 2.80 Ghz and 2.93 Ghz cpus would probably be hard to detect without stop watches. The same hard drive options can be found for the 15" unit. So the extra USB port, supposedly battery life, screen size and weight are the big gains for the 17" unit.

My new BTO 15" MBP is hooked to the new 24" LCD display. I have all the screen area I need plus can see it without magnifiers. I have connected the necessary external devices I need now.

There is an old proverb floating around that goes:

Lower your expectations to zero and you will never be disappointed.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

That is what a forum is for, saying what you feel. Feel free to give your view, read others, but not thinking you should tell others to stop just because it offends your view.

Well, I guess that only leaves saying that we feel that you folks are complete wankers if we can't actually ask you guys to stop whining worse than my 3 year old daughter...sorry if that offends your view...well, okay, not so much.

Jeez, they're short some parts and there's a delay. At least your machine has been announced and is coming.

There's a good number of us waiting somewhat patiently on rumored machines. Ones that have probably been pushed back even further so YOUR machines ship in sufficient volume.

So quit whining like you have sand in your delicate female places.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switz View Post

...Lower your expectations to zero and you will never be disappointed.

Problem is Apple sets expectations for *itself* that are well above zero. Steve Jobs is not amused with this incident, for shure.

I think what is most frustrating for many inside and outside of Apple is that Apple has had at least Oct, Nov, Dec of 08, Jan 09, ... four months to get the 17" into Unibodyness.
  • Reply 64 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Don't worry, I'm sure one is in the works already. Delays on the 17". No iMac or Mac Mini updates seen in months and months. Nvidia driver issues.

This does not bode well for Apple. Steve Jobs has been such a force (of nature, if you will) for Apple. Now that he's out of the picture, some cracks are starting to appear.

I'm blowing things out of proportion? Maybe. It's just with the global economy the way it is... The pressure is really there on Apple not to make any mistakes.

I think you're blowing everything out of proportion. Its not like Apple is all of a sudden falling apart just because Steve Jobs isn't there. Him being there isn't going to make a problem with the lack of parts to build the 17" MBP any better. Simply put, if the parts aren't available, the parts aren't available and bitching and whining about it isn't going to get parts all of a sudden in the factory so it can be built.

All of these "cracks" would have happened regardless. Its not like Steve is totally out of the picture at Apple. A well organized company like Apple doesn't fall apart in a month and a half just because their CEO isn't at his desk. Plus this isn't the first time Apple has been without Steve Jobs. A couple of years ago the same thing happened and Apple ran just fine. Tim Cook is not by any means an incompetent person, or else he wouldn't be at Apple in the first place.
  • Reply 65 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Problem is Apple sets expectations for *itself* that are well above zero. Steve Jobs is not amused with this incident, for shure.

I think what is most frustrating for many inside and outside of Apple is that Apple has had at least Oct, Nov, Dec of 08, Jan 09, ... four months to get the 17" into Unibodyness.

Well if you're so god damn smart...why don't you go work for Apple and then you'll see what goes on in the day to day operation there. Its not like Apple engineers are sitting on their asses all day long. It so happens that the 17"MBP isn't exactly the same notebook as the 15" model. Ever think about that? Probably not because you're too busy bitching and whining.
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switz View Post

My new BTO 15" MBP is hooked to the new 24" LCD display. I have all the screen area I need plus can see it without magnifiers. I have connected the necessary external devices I need now.

Can you say more about the magnifiers? Have you seen the new screen, wondering if it will be too small to be usable.

I have been reading reviews, and have not found that folks have seen this as an issue, but also not finding anyone that has seen the unit except at the keynote. Our local apple store does not have a unit yet either, so really ordering blind here.
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Well, I guess that only leaves saying that we feel that you folks are complete wankers if we can't actually ask you guys to stop whining worse than my 3 year old daughter...sorry if that offends your view...well, okay, not so much.

Jeez, they're short some parts and there's a delay. At least your machine has been announced and is coming.

There's a good number of us waiting somewhat patiently on rumored machines. Ones that have probably been pushed back even further so YOUR machines ship in sufficient volume.

So quit whining like you have sand in your delicate female places.

It cracks me up to read you whine about our whining.
  • Reply 68 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I pity the wives of any of you guys, what you gonna do when she goes past her due date? sue? ask for a couple of hundred dollars in software?

As long as you don't have to pay when your kid comes 15 weeks early...
  • Reply 69 of 72
    I just called and was very polite but disappointed and they were so ready to give me some compensation. They immediately said they can give me $50 off. So I said how about some new "twin driver - in -ear headphones" and they said, "Sure!" Just call them and let do what they are already prepared to do and that is compensate you in some way that says, 'we're sorry and we mean it'.

It puts the fan boy back in step.....
  • Reply 70 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

I just called and was very polite but disappointed and they were so ready to give me some compensation. They immediately said they can give me $50 off. So I said how about some new "twin driver - in -ear headphones" and they said, "Sure!" Just call them and let do what they are already prepared to do and that is compensate you in some way that says, 'we're sorry and we mean it'.

It puts the fan boy back in step.....

Mine was supposed to ship on the 4th. Was obsessively refreshing the status page when I got the email about the delay. I was frustrated because, as some observed, it seems unlikely Apple didn't know until the day mine was supposed to ship that it wasn't going to make it out the door.

With that said Apple gave me $75 off and an upgrade to express shipping. Seems very fair all things considered.
  • Reply 71 of 72
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I take dibs on 17-inch LED panel.

Battery issues--- new problems maybe?
  • Reply 72 of 72
    Don't get me wrong, my main concern is what this means for Apple. My personal bitching and whining is actually more regarding the Mac Mini and iMac. I have no personal stake in the 17", like I said, I wonder what it means for Apple.

I'm not saying the rest of Apple is incompetent. It is just that, IMO, Steve Jobs is such a Tour de Force on a daily basis. No parts? He eats those problems for breakfast. One "I'm going to F*K YOU UP" call to China in between a few meditative breaths. Sorted. The strength of a Zen Warrior like Steve is not to be underestimated.

A good leader is one thing, an extremely good leader is so effective that even five minutes of his time gets what others take weeks to do.

Again, I'm not dissin' Tim Cook. And I'm not so god damn smart. My concern is for Steve and Apple. And I'm somewhat concerned. Leaving 17" customers/ potential customers without any options for months now is very unlike the Apple of the past few years. In terms of desktop replacement/ bigger screens above 15", basically Apple has had nothing to sell in that space for 1 to 2 months. That's a distinct amount of lost sales, since AFAIK the previous generation 17" is not being actively sold in the meantime. That *is* strange.

And like I said, the margins for error are very much thinner at this stage of the global recession.

I am probably over sensitive to many issues. Like I said, maybe the RDF from Macworld's iLife'09 and iWork'09 was supposed to have lasted longer. Just a month on, and, hmm... just iLife and iWork updates feel kinda "Meh".

Great software is definitely key but it should not be forgotten that it has to work in tandem with hardware lust ie. the extreme desirability of Apple products before even touching it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Well if you're so god damn smart...why don't you go work for Apple and then you'll see what goes on in the day to day operation there. Its not like Apple engineers are sitting on their asses all day long. It so happens that the 17"MBP isn't exactly the same notebook as the 15" model. Ever think about that? Probably not because you're too busy bitching and whining.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think you're blowing everything out of proportion. Its not like Apple is all of a sudden falling apart just because Steve Jobs isn't there. Him being there isn't going to make a problem with the lack of parts to build the 17" MBP any better. Simply put, if the parts aren't available, the parts aren't available and bitching and whining about it isn't going to get parts all of a sudden in the factory so it can be built.

All of these "cracks" would have happened regardless. Its not like Steve is totally out of the picture at Apple. A well organized company like Apple doesn't fall apart in a month and a half just because their CEO isn't at his desk. Plus this isn't the first time Apple has been without Steve Jobs. A couple of years ago the same thing happened and Apple ran just fine. Tim Cook is not by any means an incompetent person, or else he wouldn't be at Apple in the first place.