Exploring Windows 7 on the Mac: the Taskbar

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonX View Post

Maybe I'm wrong, but how on earth do you move a file to a deeply nested folder in the Finder?

Here try this.

Open your folder in list view by either selecting the list icon at the top of the Finder window or hold down command and hit 2 (Command+1 - icon view, Command+2 - list view, Command+3 Column view). If you want to open all of the folders within that folder at the same time while in list view, hold down option while you click on the little arrow next to folder you want to open. It will open all folders within the that folder's hierarchy. You can then easily move files from folder to folder.

Also, this list view comes in handy for printing out to show a client exactly what is on their disk that I have sent to them. In Windows you cannot show every single file in every single folder that is in a folder hierarchy. At least not that I know of. And that's something I hate about Windows. I actually love list view and pretty much always use it. And it's been with us since Classic.

Hope that helps.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    Quote:

I'm really surprised to hear that so many people prefer the Finder to Windows Explorer. Maybe I'm wrong, but how on earth do you move a file to a deeply nested folder in the Finder? The way I've been doing it is dragging it over the top level folder (usually Documents), wait for that folder to open in the next column while still holding down the mouse button, drag the file over the next folder, wait for that to open, etc. etc. I just hate it. Any enlightenment as to an easier way would be greatly appreciated.

You don't have to wait for the folder to open. No wonder you hate it. Just hit the space bar, and the folder will open immediately.

click, hold - drag - space - space - space - space- space... POP.

It works far better than Windows in my opinion. I hate cutting and pasting with files.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

What? Okay so we agree that Finder is horrible. It's being horrible since the beginning of time. And we can only hope Apple fix it in the Snow Leopard.

But layout and functionality wise, it's waaaayyyy better the Windows Explorer. As a matter of fact, I find WE more and more annoying from 2000 to XP then to Vista, it gets slower increamentally, definately more crush prone, crazy shotcuts & most visited everywhere. I was so frustrated by Vista's Windows Explorer, finally decided to start to use the vastly visually unpleasing Total Commander instead. It took a while to get use to, but 2 days later I never intentionally opened a WE window ever since.

While I think Finder certainly has some weaker areas that need to be improved I'm overall fairly happy with it. As for Windows Explorer (my reason for posting), from a UI/UX standpoint is just terrible and confusing: Case & Point
  • Reply 44 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What exactly are we looking at for the finder for change? I think the modifications for my needs would be simple. Give me a two pane view and perhaps a shelf of some sort for easy cut n paste.

I certainly think there are better tools for "finding" files.

I like Finder much better than XP's Explorer. Vista is a big improvement, but not quite there. I really like the Cmd-Tab behavior in Mac- there's one icon for Finder instead of one icon for each Explorer Window. I eventually started using xplorer2 for Windows, which is a huge improvement and I'm playing with the Pathfinder demo right now. Two pane view is the way to go.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

DID NOT INVENT FINDER, DOCK and more...

Google YZ Dock or Konfabulator

...Are you implying the OS X dock was copied from Yz Dock? The Yz Dock that came out in 2002 and was made specifically to work and act like the OS X dock and so was sent a cease and desist?
  • Reply 46 of 93
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

By the way, the Mac Finder is horrible. That's definitely been the worst thing about switching to Mac, in my opinion. Can we please get something better? Windows Explorer is far better in my view.

Holy crap, I can't believe I just read that. Windows Explorer is so convoluted and a pain in my bum to use. The Mac Finder is awesome and simple. I can type in any document, application, anything, and it will be found easily. Windows never finds anything I'm looking for, and items are always scattered every which way it's so difficult to pinpoint anything.

I'm forced to use Windows every day at work, and I want to shoot myself. What gets me the most about Microsoft copying Apple is the fact that all those Windows users who don't know jack about OS X start thinking that Windows is *so* innovative and looks *so* awesome! What they will probably never know or care to realize, is OS X did it first, and also far better. Microsoft takes credit for things Apple has created, and the regular "PC" user will never know the difference.

Microsoft needs it's own shtick, and to shtick to it.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    mac31mac31 Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You don't have to wait for the folder to open. No wonder you hate it. Just hit the space bar, and the folder will open immediately.

click, hold - drag - space - space - space - space- space... POP.

It works far better than Windows in my opinion. I hate cutting and pasting with files.

Or you can just change the view of the window... I'm not on my Mac right now so I can't specifically explain myself, but it's the one with columns... Just click down to the folder you want, then drag the item you want into it.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwarf420 View Post

While I think Finder certainly has some weaker areas that need to be improved I'm overall fairly happy with it. As for Windows Explorer (my reason for posting), from a UI/UX standpoint is just terrible and confusing: Case & Point

Hilarious!

I don't see how anyone can argue that Microsoft knows what it's doing "design-wise" when you see stuff like this. And this in Windows 7, after years and years of polishing the turd. Absolutely incredible.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac31 View Post

Or you can just change the view of the window... I'm not on my Mac right now so I can't specifically explain myself, but it's the one with columns... Just click down to the folder you want, then drag the item you want into it.

The other way is to open two Finder windows, navigate to the file on one, and to the destination on the other, then a single drag. This is the best way when you're moving more than one item to or from slightly different places. Again, works better than the Windows Explorer equivalent.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Must be early responders so far as most mac users, especially those who are POST INTEL and Post PPC, are those that demand faster products, know about overclocking, registry edit, are more likely to build a hack and use BBEdit to edit the .plist and .kext files, et-cetera, and most will know Apple

DID NOT INVENT FINDER, DOCK and more...

Google YZ Dock or Konfabulator

Then look here: for articles about Widgets.

http://wincustomize.com/articles.aspx?aid=318845&c=1

Then of course there is the truth that FINDER was created by Windows and they never got it out for XP, it

was then released first by Apple, then Microsoft finally got it with it's current VISTA release.

Of course, if you want to see 3d and glass effects and things like spaces, expose, look at Sun Micro systems "looking glass project" This BLOWS away any OS and is almost 10 years old.....click BELOW, select "WATCH PRESENTATION" and go in about 1:53 minutes.

PS. LOOKING GLASS was/is LEAPS and BOUNDS ahead of OS X - (at the time, many ideas from Sun made it to Leopard),

so ask yourself WHO copied who.

HECK, the DOCK on LOOKING GLASS is a DIRECT COPY from APPLE TO OS X Leopard .

Go in 5:10 to see how Apple got the idea of QUICK LOOK - (No wonder my cousin who wrote 3 books so far for Java doesn't partically like Apple -

I just re-watched the video - and when I first watched it YEARS ago, Apple had not come out with the QUICK LOOK - hmmmmm, interesting.

Project

LOOKING GLASS - go in about 1:53 minutes and you will see how Apple LEOPARD copied Sun - years ago.

http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/

I find it hillarious how Mac Zealots say MSFT copied Apple when it simply isn't true, plus anything that MSFT has vs Apple you can add another zero, example, Jobs woth (e.g.) 3 billion, Gates 30 billion, market share Apple 9%, MSFT 90%.

Personally, I think the more similar they are the better - as I use both and would rather have command C copy on both, or have interchangeable widgets. Also, in theory, since Apple machines (Asus motherboards), and Intel CPU's, Micron memory, run Microsoft OS, if I were Microsoft I would challenge Apple and create machines that could RUN OS X and make them go to court. Basically all the parts are NON APPLE with the exception of EFI vs BIOS but since BIOS is somehow emulated on the MAC to run WINDOWS, as Microsoft, I would make the argument that it's only fair to emulate EFI, all Microsoft would have to do (besides purchase Apple, which they could, even though they would end up in court), is purchase the patent to the Bios.

I also think that Microsoft could purchase Red Hat, or Ubutu (Linux) and release an 2nd OS and you would see developers jump all over it - for arguments sake, I'll say it again, I would much rather have two OS's close rather than a departure as it makes things easier to do. However, when one looks at Looking glass, just one point of view from 2003, it's easy to see that Apple copied Sun for many of their ideas, yet Fan boyz think its Apples idea.

Peace

Please go elsewhere with your vile, no one here is claiming Apple came up with everything it does. The difference is that Apple typically either buys the company doing what it wants to integrate or it licenses the technology. Microsoft on the other hand copies the idea outright just enough to not legally violate copyright/patent laws and acts as if it invented the idea. Steve Jobs has mentioned many companies during keynotes that he derived ideas from (even Microsoft once). The entire conversation here is about how ridiculous it is that Microsoft claimed for years that a dock was an inefficient and unworkable solution and now it's adopting it in full.

And who cares about Bill Gates net worth? He made the money by stealing other people's ideas and screwing over fifteen business partners royally in the years leading up to Windows 3.1. And as to market share, who cares? Do you know how many millions of people 9% of American users amounts to? Apple is a company having its best financial returns ever during the worst recession since the Great Depression because people want quality and the any hardware goes approach Windows takes simply doesn't produce that (especially if that hardware is made by Dell).

And if you honestly think your scheme for Microsoft to force Apple to open its OS would work, you lack an understanding of the American legal system at large and precedent law in specific (you also lack knowledge of who owns some of things you speak of).
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What exactly are we looking at for the finder for change? I think the modifications for my needs would be simple. Give me a two pane view and perhaps a shelf of some sort for easy cut n paste.

I certainly think there are better tools for "finding" files.

I think there should be some kind of Advanced Search. Currently, the finder uses Spotlight, which only indexes the Applications & Home folders AFAIK, so I cannot easily search for a file located in the Library/Application Support folder for example. For most files normally in the User folders this is great but there should be the option to dig deeper. Last time I had to do a full search I ended up having to use Terminal and the BSD find command which seems to take forever (especially if you don't narrow the search down with multiple flags). BTW does PathFinder do any better with this aspect?
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions on moving files around the Finder. I don't really agree that most of these suggestions are as simple or intuitive as the dual pane view of Windows Explorer. The Path Finder application for Mac, which is kind of a Finder replacement, touts its dual pane view on its home page, so I don't think I'm alone in my love of the dual pane view.

That said, one suggestion caught my attention: open two Finder windows! Duh! So I did that, and resized them so that they are side by side in a semi-dual-pane format (with the left side in list view and the right side in column view). This is a very close approximation of what I was looking for, and it works great. Thanks again, this is going to make my life much easier.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

Please go elsewhere with your vile, no one here is claiming Apple came up with everything it does. The difference is that Apple typically either buys the company doing what it wants to integrate or it licenses the technology. Microsoft on the other hand copies the idea outright just enough to not legally violate copyright/patent laws and acts as if it invented the idea. Steve Jobs has mentioned many companies during keynotes that he derived ideas from (even Microsoft once). The entire conversation here is about how ridiculous it is that Microsoft claimed for years that a dock was an inefficient and unworkable solution and now it's adopting it in full.

And who cares about Bill Gates net worth? He made the money by stealing other people's ideas and screwing over fifteen business partners royally in the years leading up to Windows 3.1. And as to market share, who cares? Do you know how many millions of people 9% of American users amounts to? Apple is a company having its best financial returns ever during the worst recession since the Great Depression because people want quality and the any hardware goes approach Windows takes simply doesn't produce that (especially if that hardware is made by Dell).

And if you honestly think your scheme for Microsoft to force Apple to open its OS would work, you lack an understanding of the American legal system at large and precedent law in specific (you also lack knowledge of who owns some of things you speak of).

He's a troll... Don't bother arguing
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Open the folder you want and just put your stuff in. If you want to use that folder a lot then create an alias of that folder and put it somewhere convenient and drag and drop.

Or: Drag the folder's icon to the left bit - forgot what it's called - of any open folder window and it will appear there in all open folder windows and you can drag and drop from anywhere or any folder onto it.

Or: Drag the folder's icon to the dock and do the same.

When you're done just drag them back out and they're gone. Keeps your workspace tidy.

If you really love burrowing down into folders speed it up by hitting the spacebar to open a folder immediately or change the timing of springing open in the system prefs.

Even easier yet, just put the alias of your important folders into the sidebar of the finder (something I don't think you can do in windows) and then dragging important files to your often used important folders is a simple drag and drop to the left on the sidebar. Simple and easy. But I can't figure out how to put an alias of a folder on the sidebar of windows XP, don't think you can? I have aliases of my important deeply nested folders right on the side bar, makes it real easy to navigate. As usual the easiest and most elegant way is so hard to see for some people.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webhead View Post

Even easier yet, just put the alias of your important folders into the sidebar of the finder

I think the person you responded to was saying the same thing when he suggested "Drag the folder's icon to the left bit ... of any open folder window." This is a great suggestion if you have just a small number of folders that you are going to be dragging items to. It doesn't work so well for me, as I drag stuff to tons of different folders. I'm going to stick with my earlier idea: arrange two finder windows side-by-side to simulate a dual-pane view.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    Note: You = author of article

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new Taskbar in Windows 7 is so greatly improved that Microsoft’s more vocal proponents have begun calling it the Ultrabar, just as Apple fans began calling the new Dock in Leopard the UltraDock.

Everyone calls it the Superbar, not the Ultrabar as you tried very hard to link to the UltraDock. Try google "Microsoft new ultrabar windows 7" and "Microsoft new superbar Windows 7". The only link to the Ultrabar reference to Windows 7 is THIS review. What's your motive for this?

Quote:

...the Windows 7 version (which may yet still change before its release) must be manually "unlocked” before resizing it, and then can only be resized in half inch-sized increments.

What does half inch-sized increment means on a monitor? Maybe what you wanted to say was "in increments of xyz pixels," or maybe "double the original height," but I guess half inch-sized sounds "better."

Quote:

Even so, resizing the Taskbar ... nor provides more vertical room for organizing Taskbar items (as Windows users might expect). You can’t organize icons in vertical rows, making it fairly useless to change the vertical height of the Taskbar.

Unless my interpretation for this is wrong, what you said is completely wrong (except for icon resize, where you can only choose between "small" or "large" icons). The Superbar can incremented to be double-height so that you have more room to pin items onto the bar. Heck, you can have 4 rows of icons if you want, and you can move icons around to your liking. Is this intentional misinformation?

Double-height Superbar with icons on both rows: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/298/d...uperbardi6.jpg

Quote:

The Dock comes to Windows

For over ten years, nothing significant happened to the Windows Taskbar apart from the application of new themes. After the release of Vista, Microsoft set out to develop conceptual ideas of how to rethink the Taskbar for the next major version of Windows. The ideas experimented with different types of round dial controls and busy box information panels to replace the standard Taskbar (below).

I thought all of those concepts were FAKE, in that they were never from Microsoft in the first place, in that they were all created by enthusiasts. Since you're the author, where can I read more on these concepts originated from Microsoft? Heck, one of the screenshot here is exactly the one you showed: Concept Seven

Suggestion: (you = all readers)

Read this review: Paradigms lost: The Windows 7 Taskbar versus the OS X Dock

Now, compare to what this author wrote. What are the differences? Which one do you learn more from? Which one is more objective?

You can see detailed screenshot of all the possible configurations of the taskbar: Detailed screenshots of Superbar
  • Reply 57 of 93
    "Having said that, some features, such as the Dock?s zooming magnification effect, are far more fun than they are useful, resulting in many users turning it off after the novelty subsides. "

The above may be true for some, but for the elderly and the visually impaired, zooming magnification is a godsend --or is that Job-send.
  • Reply 58 of 93
    There is a huge difference between Mac OS dock and the Windows taskbar... Microsoft seems to have a different perspective on the taskbar ; they are trying to transform it into a really powerful tool that will allow users to get as many things done as possible. A quick look into the right click menu available for the apps which are in fact on that Taskbar clearly shows that. On the other hand Apple is not walking the same path with the Dock. Dock is used more as a Quick Launch tool and really nothing more than that. For more in depth interaction with the running applications Apple has other tools [ expose,spaces,spotlight - which is far superior than the equivalent of Windows - to name some ] .

Now about the Windows 7 Taskbar,or the so called "Superbar" : I must say that if it wasn't for the right click menu on the applications,then i would consider it completely useless,not really that much of a power user tool and to be honest not even a decent productivity tool for regular users. The "Hover & Preview" feature is nothing more than eye candy and to be honest a simple key stroke for expose seems not only to be faster [ since you don't have to actually take your hands of the keyboard ] but also more intuitive. Even on a laptop a 4 finger swap is far superior in both speed and nature. The right click menu although useful still lacks functionality. As far as i know there are really no keyboard shortcuts to it which makes it a bit of a hustle for power users. Being able to preview multiple tabs of the web browser is cool but you still have to use the mouse hover technique...

Overall i think MS failed with that one again...not that it's not better than the previous version of the Taskbar but because they failed to give it the extra "push" which would transform that from just another useless thing to a real productivity tool.

ps: I would love for you guys though to give a review on the Record Problems App which comes with Windows 7 That one looks cool and imho can really make a difference,starting with Help forums
  • Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

And you are as biased for Apple as he is for Microsoft so please don't pull the same BS.

And for a guy that made his money stealing it from so many companies and people he sure is a generous man that has saved millions of lives using billions of his own dollars.

You're right Gates is an ass.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    I just find it humoring that there are so many zealots that claim MS stole ideas from Apple when if you look at Project Looking Glass, its easy to spot where many of the ideas came from.

I love Apple products and use them daily, however, ever since Apple put out these bogus technical charts and benchmarks that said the G4 was a STUDIO in a BOX, I never believe anything they say and especially anything a zealot has to say.