Apple's Snow Leopard to load printer drivers on demand

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But we saved England during WW II,so why bother?

Only on film.
  • Reply 62 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

One of the things that annoys me about an OS X install is it spends ages loading umpteen foreign languages which Im never going to needs yet it still doesnt support British English

I couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 63 of 88
    I did what Nutts (who is hardly that) suggested:

I opened System Preferences [this is Leopard]; clicked on 'International', and the 'Language' tab was foremost by default.

In the list on the left, it simply said 'English' at the top... but when I clicked the 'Edit List' button ~ my goodness: a long list which had a bunch of languages checked... and a larger number unchecked.

'English' comes third down, but it must be that thing called 'International English'... because, further down ~ unchecked on my machine ~ I found 'Australian English', 'British English', 'Canadian English' [I didn't know there was one] and 'U.S. English'.

Years on, I'm still discovering things on my Mac. \
  • Reply 64 of 88
    Why don't they just leave them on the install disc, but make it a separate process from the OS install?
  • Reply 65 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A super side effect of this will be the mega-quick Snowy Leo installation time.
  • Reply 66 of 88
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

Why don't they just leave them on the install disc, but make it a separate process from the OS install?

Because there's no need.
  • Reply 67 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But we saved England during WW II,so why bother?

Hmmm, well I suppose it could be argued that the Nazis would have developed weapons of mass destruction before the US without the British keeping them occupied long before the US showed up and history might have been slightly different.

Of course the British also kind of invented the first computer which I suppose caused this discussion in the first place, in a roundabout way!

Printer drivers for Colossus were probably a pain also!
  • Reply 68 of 88
    As someone who doesn't own a printer I have stripped all these print drivers already. But I have come across times when I've needed to print, if the printer is PostScript compatible (majority are) then OS X can print to it using the Generic PostScript driver.
  • Reply 69 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugh Hue Carroll View Post

I opened System Preferences [this is Leopard]; clicked on 'International', and the 'Language' tab was foremost by default.

In the list on the left, it simply said 'English' at the top... but when I clicked the 'Edit List' button ~ my goodness: a long list which had a bunch of languages checked... and a larger number unchecked.

'English' comes third down, but it must be that thing called 'International English'... because, further down ~ unchecked on my machine ~ I found 'Australian English', 'British English', 'Canadian English' [I didn't know there was one] and 'U.S. English'.

The options have been there basically from day one.

Unfortunately, most of the dumb asses here can't read or understand English or their home laguage.

Then there are those that think that Apple is going to introduce an install disk that only lets you install drivers for printers that are only currently connected or only 'official' languages in the country that you are residing in.

Worse yet, are those that think that Apple is going to press SL install disks customized by country to reduce the size a few MBs or even GBs. Just how stupid are they?

Cripes, the first option you can choose when you install Leopard or any Mac OS is your Language!
  • Reply 70 of 88
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    in a pinch - when traveling - if you do not have a needed print driver - you could print to PDF instead and then transfer that file to a computer which is connected to a print and print from PDF (transfer being via either USB stick or emailed to yourself - of course if you can email to yourself you can connect to the internet and get a device driver).
  • Reply 71 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have heard that too. The z's that Americans use are closer to what English originally was, whereas the s's used by the English are due to French influence. Americans also use English measurements and English use French ones (kilometer = fail).

As an American mechanical engineer, I'll take SI Units over English every damn time.
  • Reply 72 of 88
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

As an American mechanical engineer, I'll take SI Units over English every damn time.

In that case may I offer you this plate of snails for your personal enjoyment.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    This is why people should do a custom OSX installation, removing whatever foreign language fonts and printer drivers they don't need.

For languages, I just leave English.

For printers, I leave HP (I only buy HP printers) and the open source multi-printer drivers (CUPS or whatever it is now) in case I plug in something non-HP.

I always rip the extras out.
  • Reply 74 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Quote:

Well if you do want to be consistent then you should have all your prices in base 12
  • Reply 75 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abrooks View Post

As someone who doesn't own a printer I have stripped all these print drivers already. But I have come across times when I've needed to print, if the printer is PostScript compatible (majority are) then OS X can print to it using the Generic PostScript driver.

I suppose life would be a bit better without printers, though there's no way I can do that. Even if the only thing I printed were shipping labels, it's worth using.

I thought PostScript compatible printers are quite a bit more expensive than the ones that aren't I know two or three of my printers are PS printers, but I don't think the others are.

Quote:

I suppose you liked it when you knew there were two hogsheads to a fortnight, but SI units are more consistent. It's a good system, it doesn't make any sense reject it out of racism or whatever ugly -ism that would be because you can't separate an idea from the people and look at it objectively.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Of course, I think it was a mistake to make packages directories. The Java method of using the "zip" file format makes a lot more sense, and you could easily have applied compression. You could also easily transfer them on the network. Of course wasted unused languages and nibs are nice to eliminate, but more could be done...

The reason that packages aren't compressed in some way is two-fold:

1) In order to load executable content into memory it has to have a 1-to-1 mapping between memory and disk. This is so the virtual memory system can deal with it. This assumption in built into a lot of places in the kernel and so would take a lot of work to unwind. I am all in favor of this work being done, but with drive sizes increasing as fast as they have I can easily think of other places I would rather the kernel developer's time being used.

2) Bundles can contain Bundles, so you would wind up with a Russian doll problem of how you would compress all of that, and without some complicated machinery you would have to run multiple decompression rounds to get things buried a few levels deep.

Now all that being said: Apple seems to be looking in that direction since they have started putting data files into archives. The new "flat-file" pkg format was the first (the old style bundle stuffed into a XAR), and with the latest version of iWork the output is a ZIP-encoded bundle. However, the implementations have left me wanting.

I would have much rather that they fully used the XAR format in pkg's so that I could have used tools to go in and examine (and replace) individual files in the package format, and there are some very interesting things that could have been added to pkg's with that idea. I also wish that they had chosen XAR for iWork. I know ZIP is more widespread, but there is an open implementation of XAR, and you can just do so many more things with it.
  • Reply 77 of 88
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hugh Hue Carroll View Post

Here in the US Macs may soon start up in Spanish and we'll have to 'press one' for even US English let alone UK English
  • Reply 78 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Whatever disk space we might reclaim as a result of Apple's diligence will be used right up again when the next Adobe installer dumps its truckload of elephant shit. Oh well.

I for one would love Apple to bring out a Pro end rival suit for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign ... I dumped all M$ software next I'd love to dump all Adobe too. At one time Premiere ruled on Mac (the level below Avid and Matrox that is) and then came FCPro. Apple could do it.
  • Reply 79 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I suppose life would be a bit better without printers, though there's no way I can do that. ....

I can imagine one day not too far off, a material used by FedEx et al for label (just one example) that can form text and graphics sent wirelessly and then be digitally locked. Then unlocked with the right key and reused. Consumer versions would be close behind ... reusable 'paper' if you will. Oops ... I've got to stop reading Harry Potter books
  • Reply 80 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I for one would love Apple to bring out a Pro end rival suit for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign ... I dumped all M$ software next I'd love to dump all Adobe too. At one time Premiere ruled on Mac (the level below Avid and Matrox that is) and then came FCPro. Apple could do it.

I don't know about you, but the companies that I worked for or owned could have been replaced by another just as good or better.

In fact, a couple did. But I didn't like it, or think that it was a good thing then, or now.