Apple's Snow Leopard to load printer drivers on demand

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Probably better than M$'s plan:

"Insert install DVD to install necessary drivers?!?!? But, Clippy, I'm out of town on a business trip right now."
  • Reply 82 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Probably better than M$'s plan:

"Insert install DVD to install necessary drivers?!?!? But, Clippy, I'm out of town on a business trip right now."

It can be worse than that, if you plug a USB device to a different port, often Windows asks for the drivers. Nevermind that the drivers were already installed when it was connected to the other port, just that Windows was too stupid to look in its own index before making me point out where to look.
  • Reply 83 of 88
    cookiemecookieme Posts: 1member
    Is it possible to achieve Snow Leopard's behaviour with 10.5.7? I have an HP LaserJet 4050t which I am currently using with the Generic Postscript Driver. However, I am missing the option to select which tray I want to use. I have spent hours trying to search for a reasonable solution to just installing this printer's specific driver from HP, but it is just a mess!!! I really hope that they solve this with 10.6 because it shouldn't be this difficult to just install the driver you want and the latest for that matter.

At the moment I see two options:

- Install the driver from HP's website, but get a lot of HP crap.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&mode=4&idx=0

- Install Apple's HP Printer Driver 1.1.1 and get lots of unnecessary drivers as I would have from the Leopard Install DVD.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/H...r_Driver_1_1_1

Anyone have a suggestions because although I have read about many complaints both here and on Apple's forum, I can't find any sensible solution apart from sticking with the Generic Postscript Driver.

Thanks
  • Reply 84 of 88
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    how about a "how to" to get rid of this stuff now?

i could use the space

software solution to do this??
  • Reply 85 of 88
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I turn off Bonjour on my 100+ LAN printers. All my printers are HP b/w and color models from the last few years.All are modern printers that use IPP. Hope I can still add a HP printer package with all the major recent models as an option when building deployment master images for DeployStudio or NetRestore.
  • Reply 86 of 88
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    It does have variants of English dictionaries. If you go to the International pane in System Preferences and click Languages then "show all" you should find British English, among several others such as Australian. This won't solve American spellings in the Finder itself or Americanisms such as "Trash" but it will stop saying that you've misspelt "colour" in any app that uses the default OS dictionary!

I remember in OS 9 when you set the Finder to Australian English it would rename the Trash as "Garbage" and have the correct spellings throughout the Finder, so in that sense OS X hasn't fully caught up. It doesn't really bother me however, I'm just glad they have international dictionaries.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

One of the things that annoys me about an OS X install is it spends ages loading umpteen foreign languages which Im never going to needs yet it still doesnt support British English

• Reply 87 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I still remember going to help someone with their Mac many years ago and seeing the Wastebasket on their desktop.

I sympathize with all those who would like a more localized Mac experience and understand the market in the UK is larger than Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland put together. However, whether they like it or not, the people of the UK can understand how to use a computer running US English.

If Apple wants to be the leader of the 21st century they really need system-wide support for Arabic plus the major languages of southern Asia and eastern Europe.

I wholeheartedly agree, but on a keyboard that you have to be an advanced user or a contortionist to find the hash key....??
  • Reply 88 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I still remember going to help someone with their Mac many years ago and seeing the Wastebasket on their desktop.

I sympathize with all those who would like a more localized Mac experience and understand the market in the UK is larger than Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland put together. However, whether they like it or not, the people of the UK can understand how to use a computer running US English.

If Apple wants to be the leader of the 21st century they really need system-wide support for Arabic plus the major languages of southern Asia and eastern Europe.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I left the UK twenty years ago to live in the US. When I flew back last year landing at Manchester I couldn't understand a word anyone said anymore. I think it must have drifted a lot faster recently!

Yes, this is true. I am English and you only have to read Shakespeare to understand that. Words such as 'color' were always without the u before the r. But it makes sense...we moved a shipload of our guys to your shores and they carried on speaking the language of the day...and modern English is so ubiquitous (in the west) that it has been influenced by somany cultural derivatives of words...particularly when we made peace with France and it became a republic, it was cool to take on a French mantle.....sorry, we were talking about Apple Printer Drivers.....