Apple seeks user feedback on Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 41 of 180
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I believe I recall you being one of the die hard supporters of HD DVD so I really can't put much stock in your current Blu-Ray opinions. My apologies if I remember that bit incorrectly.

Regardless, what beneficial things does Blu-Ray offer consumers? How about better audio and video quality then what downloads can provide (and will be able to provide for the foreseeable future, especially in the U.S.)?

I guess I don't understand the appeal of managed/digital copies either. I've experimented using Handbrake on a couple of DVDs using my 2.16GHz C2D iMac and it takes nearly as long as it would to just watch the movie. Having all my movies available on demand has a definite geek appeal to me, but for the literal months it would take to rip my collection, my time seems like it would be better spend simply putting the disc in the DVD player instead. I guess as you hinted, it might have more appeal if you had kids that were prone to messing up the discs. But at the same time, I'd have to ask why you let them mess with them in the first place. Moving into the Blu-Ray realm, having digital copies just seems a bit impractical. Blu-Ray quality would quickly eat up hard drive space.

I also can't imagine the studios allowing the ripping of DVDs or Blu-Rays. There's already issues with the Netflix rip/copy and return crowd pirating content; I know 3 people who are big into that. I can't imagine the studios would want to exacerbate that problem by having it built into a program as widely known and used as iTunes. The only way I could see it being allowed is the way digital copies work today, with the inclusion of a one-time use code, though I guess once it was linked to your iTunes account they could allow you re-rip it in the future.

Yes please don't put any stock into my Blu-ray opinion because i'm still bitter (hey at least I honest about it). Though I will admit I don't think HD DVD would have pulled off Managed Copy as well. I think the group behind AACS just wanted to make it sound like MC was a consumer friendly feature of AACS encryption and they quietly mothballed MC. Blu-Ray is great for those classic movies with fantastic audio and video but we're on the precipice of 2010 and we still cannot deliver movies safely without a plastic disc/dongle?

I'm at the point where I realize that HDD space is becoming the least limiting factor to my media experience. With 2TB drives available soon it'll be only a scant few years before the typical enthusiast has an 8GB media collection.

Yes Blu-ray holds a lot of data but it's been shown (on HD DVD) that a movie can be delivered with fantastic sound and video at under 15GB of data. Once you strip out the unecessary soundtracks and other junk you have a movie that's pretty svelte.

The studios won't legally allow it but it's a genie that they cannot put back in the bottle. Why they continue to buck the trend (moving from physical to digital) is beyond me. They contantly whine about piracy but it's their own fault. I have an entertainment center loaded up with my 60 HD DVD movies and 60 DVD movies and frankly what as once like a badge of media honor is now an eyesore to me. I don't want my living space encroached with snapper cases and stacks and stacks of movies anymore.

"Burn Hollywood Burn"
  • Reply 42 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is basically what I agree with. Apple TV has never been a well-thought out product from the beginning. Asking people what they want instead of simply using common sense and engineering it to be the best they could make it has been why Jobs never got behind this product. It wasn't "his" idea, so it's languished instead of flourished.

Take a survey? Jobs always said (I'm paraphrasing) 'people don't know what they want until you give it to them'....

I don't think you're on the right side of this time dependency, these are people that already got what Apple "gave them", why not ask them if it really lives up to its billing?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes Blu-ray holds a lot of data but it's been shown (on HD DVD) that a movie can be delivered with fantastic sound and video at under 15GB of data. Once you strip out the unecessary soundtracks and other junk you have a movie that's pretty svelte.

As I recall, quite a few HD DVDs, were dual layer, but if we take 15GB as the cut-down size if you don't like foreign languages, commentaries or behind the scenes type of extras, how long does it take to download that on a typical broadband connection? I already don't like downloading Apple's marginal quality HD because it hogs the connection, and no tools are provided to prevent it from taking the whole connection, nor is there a way that I've seen to tell it to download at specific times of the day (or night) when the connection isn't being used.
  • Reply 43 of 180
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    NOw they ask? 2 years later- after it's released? Isn't this the kind of thing you ask before you release a product?

I'd expect Microsoft to ask this kind of thing of Zune users- not Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

This is one of the dumbest surveys i've ever seen.

How about a survey for the 99.9999% who didn't buy an Apple TV for one reason or another. Wouldn't that make more sense?

This Survey does nothing for Apple. It's completely ridiculous.

I'd also like to see the question on there:

Have you hacked your Apple TV so it actually functions like a useful devise?

The Apple TV reminds me of this...

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...tupid_piece_of

The survey isn't worthless. I don't think the survey was aimed at letting us design the next version of ATV, I think it was a survey to determine how much of the content that we have on our ATV is actually bought through iTunes. I think that is why it asked questions like, (1) how often do you rent movies on the ATV and (2) how often do you watch movies on your ATV. Obviously, if you answer the 2nd question more often than the first, you are watching movies you didn't rent/purchase on ATV.
  • Reply 45 of 180
    I have 50Gs of music- let me search one of my songs in less than a minute and a half.
  • Reply 46 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

The survey isn't worthless. I don't think the survey was aimed at letting us design the next version of ATV, I think it was a survey to determine how much of the content that we have on our ATV is actually bought through iTunes. I think that is why it asked questions like, (1) how often do you rent movies on the ATV and (2) how often do you watch movies on your ATV. Obviously, if you answer the 2nd question more often than the first, you are watching movies you didn't rent/purchase on ATV.

Then this survey confirms my theory that AppleTV was built to be basically an iTunes Jukebox. Are there any questions related to functionality based around your own files?
  • Reply 47 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple should kill it if they can't turn it into a performer that competes on it's own merits, otherwise it will very quickly turn into a committee-designed Microsoft-like monstrosity.

Zune meet AppleTV.
  • Reply 48 of 180
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nace33 View Post

Exactly...

It is a customer satisfaction survey.

In my opinion, people read far too much into what the device is.. All it is intended to be is an iPod for your tv. Bringing iTunes content into the living room.. THAT it does very well.
  • Reply 49 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

In my opinion, people read far too much into what the device is.. All it is intended to be is an iPod for your tv. Bringing iTunes content into the living room.. THAT it does very well.

NO it doesn't. You cannot search your files as fast as you can on your iPod or computer. In fact you cannot even quick search any of your songs- only scroll through the alphabet. You can't repeat videos, etc, etc, - all things you can do on your ipod.

It is however an excellent buying, rental device for iTunes material.

It appears to be a survey geared toward your utilization of it towards iTunes rentals and purchases.
  • Reply 50 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The pricing makes me believe that the studios are just not serious about digital downloads.

Let's see i'm paying a monthly fee for my bandwidth which they get damn near a free ride.

You're implying that the bandwidth is free for the server you download from?
  • Reply 51 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO it doesn't. You cannot search your files as fast as you can on your iPod or computer. In fact you cannot even quick search any of your songs- only scroll through the alphabet. You can't repeat videos, etc, etc, - all things you can do on your ipod.

It is however an excellent buying, rental device for iTunes material.

It appears to be a survey geared toward your utilization of it towards iTunes rentals and purchases.

I use the "Remote" app from my iPhone, so yes you can scroll and search as fast as an iPod. (If not faster.)
  • Reply 52 of 180
    I can't believe how many of you are complaining that Apple has put a survey out there to get some feedback from their customers. Since when is that a bad thing? Sure, this one is for current owners but that doesn't mean there will never be one for those who don't own one. Besides, if you knew the first thing about marketing you'd know nothing sells a product better than word of mouth. One way you build that is by exciting your current customers so that they sing the products praises. If you guys/gals are going to whine about a company trying to interact with its customers then you are going to whine about anything and everything. In fact, I think that is the only reason some of you post here.

Now that I've got that out of the way I'd like to address the idea that the PS3 is a better device for renting movies. I own one and while they have made great strides in their user interface they are still nowhere close to the ATV and the way it integrates with your A/V system. Heck, most universal remotes can't even turn the thing on b/c it uses bluetooth. I have a Harmony remote and the ATV works beautifully with it - PS3, not at all. There a couple things I'd like to see changed in the ATV - better HD quality, the ability to use ATV as a data backup to iTunes, lower movie prices and iTunes letting you download your purchases again should there be a system failure. But the main thing is that I'm excited to see Apple taking the ATV seriously with this survey, which, in case you haven't noticed must be pretty popular since the server has been busy all night.
  • Reply 53 of 180
    Quote:

I use the "Remote" app from my iPhone, so yes you can scroll and search as fast as an iPod. (If not faster.)

Oh- Has the iPhone been added to the purchase price of the Apple TV? Somehow I either misplaced the one that was included in my AppleTV box or it was missing.

You are using an iPhone not the AppleTV or its remote so your point is totally bogus.
  • Reply 54 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I can't believe how many of you are complaining that Apple has put a survey out there to get some feedback from their customers. Since when is that a bad thing? Sure, this one is for current owners but that doesn't mean there will never be one for those who don't own one. Besides, if you knew the first thing about marketing you'd know nothing sells a product better than word of mouth. One way you build that is by exciting your current customers so that they sing the products praises. If you guys/gals are going to whine about a company trying to interact with its customers then you are going to whine about anything and everything. In fact, I think that is the only reason some of you post here.

t.[/I]

Do you even own an AppleTV? If you had been burnt, you'd too would complain and whine yourself.
  • Reply 55 of 180
    Quote:

Oh has the iPhone been added to the purchase price of the Apple TV? Somehow I either misplaced the one that was included in my AppleTV box or it was missing.

You are using an iPhone not the AppleTV or its remote so your point is totally bogus.

No, I'm using Apple TV.. I'm just controlling it from my iPhone using the free Apple app... It's certainly not required, but it does make navigation much easier.. I'd also be willing to go on a limb and suggest that most people who've bought an Apple TV also already have an iPhone or iPod touch..
  • Reply 56 of 180
    Quote:

No, I'm using Apple TV.. I'm just controlling it from my iPhone using the free Apple app... It's certainly not required, but it does make navigation much easier.. I'd also be willing to go on a limb and suggest that most people who've bought an Apple TV also already have an iPhone or iPod touch..

So then you're suggesting that you need to purchase either of the 2 to make it fully functional??
  • Reply 57 of 180
    Quote:

So then you're suggesting that you need to purchase either of the 2 to make it functional??

No, my point was simple, you're making it complicated..

I said in my opinion, Apple tv was designed to bring iTunes content into the living room.. And that it does very well.. It works just fine with the included Apple remote..

As an added bonus, if you own an iPhone or iPod Touch the free "Remote" app allows you to navigate and control faster.. That's all I'm saying.
  • Reply 58 of 180
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

This is one of the dumbest surveys i've ever seen.

How about a survey for the 99.9999% who didn't buy an Apple TV for one reason or another. Wouldn't that make more sense?

You beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing!

Actually I agree with xwiredtva on the Boxee software. I have it running on my MacBook Pro and it is pretty awesome. I have an HD set in mind with a PC input, I plan on hooking the laptop up to it and using it as my "Apple TV". It does everything and I get the bonus of a DVD drive, all I have to do is spend money on a cable!
  • Reply 59 of 180
    Quote:

No, my point was simple, you're making it complicated..

I said in my opinion, Apple tv was designed to bring iTunes content into the living room.. And that it does very well.. It works just fine with the included Apple remote..

As an added bonus, if you own an iPhone or iPod Touch the free "Remote" app allows you to navigate and control faster.. That's all I'm saying.

NO- you said:
    Quote:

All it is intended to be is an iPod for your tv. Bringing iTunes content into the living room.. THAT it does very well.

and I said simply that it doesn't. Your iPod or computer does it better. That's all.
  • Reply 60 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

You beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing!

Actually I agree with xwiredtva on the Boxee software. I have it running on my MacBook Pro and it is pretty awesome. I have an HD set in mind with a PC input, I plan on hooking the laptop up to it and using it as my "Apple TV". It does everything and I get the bonus of a DVD drive, all I have to do is spend money on a cable!

Excellent. I've always said with the money I spent on it I should have spent it on a MacMini instead and have it all- DVD drive, plus a browser ,etc,etc.

The last thing I wanted was yet another add-on. A rental iTunes JukeBox.