Apple seeks user feedback on Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 101 of 180
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Apple TV is a solution to access your digital files in the living room, as long as they are in an iTunes format which is the software that ATV is designed to work with, that has never been a secret.. If they are not, you can convert them..

Your mantra over and over is getting old. You just don't get it. Too bad.
  • Reply 102 of 180
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe you don't see it, but that platitude is dumb. By repeating it, you sound more like a clone than an individual, you're repeating someone else's propaganda.

It took six+ years for Apple to become the dominant music seller.

iPod serves different needs, it's a portable device, and a CD drive would make it less portable. Maybe you haven't noticed, AppleTV isn't meant to be portable, and it wouldn't really be any less portable with the drive. So portability really isn't the issue.

I'm not really saying that AppleTV should have a DVD drive, I'm just objecting to weak reasoning.

I can't say adding a DVD drive makes sense. Adding a DVD player would probably add another $50 to the device, maybe $10 in Apple's cost for the drive, and $20 for a DVD playback license, at least last I heard a couple years ago. The reason there are $30 DVD players is because those budget brands duck the licensing fee, that's not something Apple can do.

In my opinion, (I don't claim to know what goes on in the Cupertion offices,) It's not about portability or weak reasoning.. It's about creating a new product.. Apple tv is designed to be an alternative to the methods we are used to. Digital files will become a replacement for the physical discs we are used to today. I've never known Apple to jump into an existing market, they try to create new ones. That's what Apple tv is.. Apple's future entertainment stake lies in the iTunes store, not in Blu-ray, DVR's or current physical media. Apple tv is their way of accessing that content into the living room.
  • Reply 103 of 180
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Your mantra over and over is getting old. You just don't get it. Too bad.

It's not a mantra, it's the truth. You want Apple TV to be something other than it is.. I'm simply telling you that it's not those things.. Take it for what it is, if you don't like or want it, then don't use or purchase it.
  • Reply 104 of 180
    Quote:

It's not a mantra, it's the truth. You want Apple TV to be something other than it is.. I'm simply telling you that it's not those things.. Take it for what it is, if you don't like or want it, then don't use or purchase it.

You don't know what your talking about.

It was neither a rental nor buying machine when I purchased it.

Why am I wasting my time discussing with you? You just don't get it.
  • Reply 105 of 180
    Quote:

You don't know what your talking about.

It was neither a rental nor buying machine when I purchased it.

Why am I wasting my time discussing with you? You just don't get it.

Actually, I do know what I'm talking about.. Apple tv still does everything it did when you purchased it.. Access to the iTunes store was a feature added in V2, but it doesn't mean the ability to access your personal content was taken away.
  • Reply 106 of 180
    Quote:

In my opinion, (I don't claim to know what goes on in the Cupertion offices,) .

Then why do you keep claiming that you know what Apple's intentions are??
  • Reply 107 of 180
    Quote:

Then why do you keep claiming that you know what Apple's intentions are??

Im stating my opinion, just like I said.
  • Reply 108 of 180
    Quote:

Actually, I do know what I'm talking about.. Apple tv still does everything it did when you purchased it.. Access to the iTunes store was a feature added in V2, but it doesn't mean the ability to access your personal content was taken away.

Features you spew about that many of us don't want. It should now, 2 years later, be easier to access that content without the purchase of an iPhone. etc, etc, etc.
  • Reply 109 of 180
    Quote:

Features you spew about that many of us don't want. It should now, 2 years later, be easier to access that content without the purchase of an iPhone. etc, etc, etc.

Well again, this is my opinion, but, perhaps in the future you should not buy products based on what you think they may become and instead buy products based on what they are...
  • Reply 110 of 180
    Quote:

Well again, this is my opinion, but, perhaps in the future you should not buy products based on what you think they may become and instead buy products based on what they are...

In this case - that is failed reasoning. If so then what is the USB jack for? Wasn't that to become useful for something? Why else is it there? It was already there when I purchased it- at least I thought so.
  • Reply 111 of 180
    Quote:

In this case - that is failed reasoning. If so then what is the USB jack for? Wasn't that to become useful for something? Why else is it there? I was there when I purchased it- at least I thought so.

Yes, it was there when you purchased it, and it's still there today.. When will it become enabled, and what will it be used for? Lots of possibilities, your guess is as good as mine...
  • Reply 112 of 180
    Quote:

Yes, it was there when you purchased it, and it's still there today.. When will it become enabled, and what will it be used for? Lots of possibilities, your guess is as good as mine...

Are you afraid to speculate what it may become because if it doesn't then your whole house of cards collapses?
  • Reply 113 of 180
    Quote:

Are you afraid to speculate what it may become because if it doesn't then your whole house of cards collapses?

Don't fool yourself.. My house of cards is standing tall... Yours collapsed two comment pages ago!
  • Reply 114 of 180
    Quote:

Don't fool yourself.. My house of cards is standing tall... Yours collapsed two comment pages ago!

Dream on!
  • Reply 115 of 180
    Quote:

Steve Jobs : "AppleTV is a hobby."

Read "I'm just not that into you."

Or "since I don't really watch TV, I really don't have a clue what you people want in this device."
  • Reply 116 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

Add an inexpensive subscription plan ($20 or less a month) and I'm there.

and/or

Add hulu streaming support and I'm there.

That's all it would take.

You're looking for a Comcast killer, and I'm totally on board with that.

I would like to see Apple TV add:

* Blu-Ray DVD capability. Ripping DVDs, putting them on your network, blah blah blah is a hobbyist pursuit. The more practical option for most consumers is a set-top device that plays DVDs but makes downloading the same content just as easy. Playing DVDs is not a unique feature, but it would motivate people who are Blu-Ray shopping or want to get rid of a box under the TV if they're going to add a new one.

* A TV content subscription plan with a critical mass of content. That's going to mean live content -- cable news, Academy Awards, college and pro sports, etc. I don't think a subscription plan will get mass adoption unless it is either cheap enough to add to cable to comprehensive enough to replace it.

I would even be OK with tiered and/or a la carte plans if that's what it takes to make the licensing work with the content producers.

A DVR is just a stop-gap, and it would wreck Apple's ability to move content through the Apple Store. And you wouldn't need it if all the same content was available anyway.
  • Reply 117 of 180
    Quote:

Do you even own an AppleTV? If you had been burnt, you'd too would complain and whine yourself.

Yes, I own one. I mentioned it in the second paragraph of my post and it's also in my signature. It's not perfect but for the most part I'm very happy with it - so much so that I bought one for my brother for Christmas.
  • Reply 118 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Porchland View Post

You're looking for a Comcast killer, and I'm totally on board with that.

I would like to see Apple TV add:

* Blu-Ray DVD capability. Ripping DVDs, putting them on your network, blah blah blah is a hobbyist pursuit. The more practical option for most consumers is a set-top device that plays DVDs but makes downloading the same content just as easy. Playing DVDs is not a unique feature, but it would motivate people who are Blu-Ray shopping or want to get rid of a box under the TV if they're going to add a new one.

* A TV content subscription plan with a critical mass of content. That's going to mean live content -- cable news, Academy Awards, college and pro sports, etc. I don't think a subscription plan will get mass adoption unless it is either cheap enough to add to cable to comprehensive enough to replace it.

I would even be OK with tiered and/or a la carte plans if that's what it takes to make the licensing work with the content producers.

A DVR is just a stop-gap, and it would wreck Apple's ability to move content through the Apple Store. And you wouldn't need it if all the same content was available anyway.

I agree with the idea of adding a small BluRay drive...it would be nice but it's not going to happen. I disagree with the DVR being a stop-gap though. I think being able to use it as a DVR would be fantastic AND lead to people buying the more expensive model with the larger hard drive. Besides, Apple writes great software where as the maker of my current DVR does not.
  • Reply 119 of 180
    I like how a bunch of people who do not own AppleTVs comment about how dumb this is. Your problem is that you don't own one and you do not realize how many hacks are available for it.

I think they just want to know what people are doing with them so they can make a better product that doesn't require a bunch of hacks to make useful.

A lot of people install a full version of OSX on it, others (like me) just copy over a bunch of kext from a 10.4 combo update to enable things like the USB port (and the USB port is supposed to be for diagnostic purposes only, its not a end user thing).

My ATV has a 1TB external HD with movies and TV shows connected to it, it is also sharing that drive over the network via SSHFS (Its possible to do it via standard apple protocols, but I didn't bother enabling that). I have also installed Perian and Sapphire that allow me to watch all my media on my external though the standard ATV interface. I also have boxee on there, which I like a lot, particularly Hulu.

And I am just one person, there are a boat load of hacks and 3rd party plugins that you can download and install. If you are not afraid of the terminal the possibilities are endless. I think Apple is just trying to find out what every one is doing with the AppleTV and maybe release a product that more closely resembles the uses.

Too bad the damn survey is down...

Jim
  • Reply 120 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I can't believe how many of you are complaining that Apple has put a survey out there to get some feedback from their customers. Since when is that a bad thing? Sure, this one is for current owners but that doesn't mean there will never be one for those who don't own one. Besides, if you knew the first thing about marketing you'd know nothing sells a product better than word of mouth. One way you build that is by exciting your current customers so that they sing the products praises.

Some of us do understand the subtleties behind Apple's "recent" product developments, and the AppleTV has never followed their SOP. The very fact that they find a need to create a survey indicates they have not been listening already and are rudderless as to the direction of this product. This is atypical Apple behavior and it is a clear indicator (as I mentioned before) that they are splashing around in the water right now, and this will soon become de rigueur for the various divisions... there is no Steve Jobs/Saddam Hussein around to keep the insurgents in place.