Apple seeks user feedback on Apple TV

Comments

• Reply 81 of 180
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Hopefully Apple are finally going to take the hint!

This slot could be used to play users existing DVD collections, which is very important. It also gives people the opportunity to ditch their bulky DVD player and have a neater setup than they had prior to buying Apple TV. The last thing people want it *another* box under their TV. Apple then can add a subscription TV Show service so users can even ditch their cable/digital TV box from under their TV also. Apple then make a TV with this box and DVD drive built-in, and user could have *zero* boxes under their TV. If necessasary people can then plug in their super sound system, but that would be it!

One more thing; widgets for weather, TV guide etc., and live sports and news as an optional extra.

My job is done here

For the DVD drive, forget that, this is the past. It's like asking Apple to put a floppy drive in the iMac

You did not read my post at 12:55 today??
  • Reply 82 of 180
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

And it's also been shown that trying to compress a movie into that small a space has required downgrading video and/or audio quality (for example, the inability to fit a lossless audio track on the Transformers HD DVD even using a 30GB disc). And it seems like most HD DVD's came on 30GB discs so I'm not really sure how much stock I put in your 15GB comment.

And it's also been shown that the film rent on the Apple TV in HD is about 4 to 5 GB and I see no difference in quality with a Blue Ray film.

I mean the film in HD rent from the ATV not on your computer in iTunes brcause there is no HD in iTunes from the computer. You need to order on the Apple TV to get the real HD version.

And believe me, I made the test with the same film on the same TV (batman), one from a blue Ray and one from the Apple TV and I see no difference.
  • Reply 83 of 180
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Any removal of the horrid stack of mismatched electronics and wiring next to my TV set would sell me.

Add DVR, large storage and slingbox like streaming to my iphone and ill take 2.
  • Reply 84 of 180
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

For the DVD drive, forget that, this is the past. It's like asking Apple to put a floppy drive in the iMac

You did not read my post at 12:55 today??

Why should anyone? DVD is still a bigger industry than Apple is, at least it was last year, Apple is still growing, but it is definitely far bigger than Apple's iTunes video/movie business.
  • Reply 85 of 180
    Well as of Tuesday morning at 7:30am Central US time, the survey is closed. Wonder if it was ever supposed to be there!
  • Reply 86 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

And believe me, I made the test with the same film on the same TV (batman), one from a blue Ray and one from the Apple TV and I see no difference.

Maybe there is something wrong with your tv then. I can definitely tell the difference between appletv HD rented movie and the blu-ray version. The rented version from Apple looks as good as a DVD... but no better.
  • Reply 87 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

You're 100% wrong about Hollywood, they absolutely WANT digital downloads as their distribution medium.

1. Costs are a fraction of Blu-ray and DVD distribution.

Sometimes I wonder if that's a really big deal. Replication costs aren't that much, and when discs are stored and shipped, that is in bulk quantities. I don't know anything about the expenses with respect to bandwidth costs for moving a couple gigabytes per customer using a content distribution network, last I heard a figure, it was surprisingly high for internet data. I've since forgotten that figure.

Quote:

2. No extras necessary (some of the extras on a special edition DVD can cost well into six figures)

I don't know if that really flies. The thing is that they generally charge a higher price for the movies with extras than the version without the extra disc, and those extras in the standard edition are supposed to be something to entice people to buy. Movie-only is $15, with extras might be $20-25. It seems to me that it has to be worth the expense if they're still doing it.

I'm usually not that into the extras, though I do like them in some cases. Maybe I would be more interested if they included the subs or closed caption tracks, sometimes I just can't make out a word or line that's spoken in haste or has a lot of chaos in the mix. I don't think any download service offers them like they are on DVD.
  • Reply 88 of 180
    I own an AppleTV, didn't get the survey invite. I have bought video from iTMS but not rented it.

What I think they need mirrors a lot of people here, mostly to get some form of content that is advertising driven for free or a low monthly cost, and premium content for a reasonable subscription fee. It would be great if they could partner with HULU, Joost, and BBC to get more content or just go to the Networks directly. If they supported a plug-in architecture so that NetFlix, Amazon, and BlockBuster could add their services to it that would be great as well offering more choice to their customers.

One thing that I did not see mentioned was the interface, it needs revised. The iTMS should be an option, but not top of the list like it is. Navigation is getting easier with "Folders" but needs to be worked on for large collections of audio and video as well.

I don't see the need for DVR personally, but I could see it as a selling point. The main reason I don't see the need for it is the model that would work best for content would be closer to the on-demand services which would allow you to watch what you want when you want, and not be restricted to the schedule of the broadcasters. If you take this into account then there is no need for a DVR, if you want to watch something once watch it while it is on the servers or rent the movie from iTMS, if you want have a copy of it for multiple viewing then buy it.
  • Reply 89 of 180
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    What kid of survey asks you: "What % of your digital music is purchased online?" with an option answer of: 1.) "I prefer to buy DVDs in a record store."?? 2.) "I prefer to buy my DVDs online."?

This just verifies that Apple is clueless when it comes to home entertainment. What an embarassment.
  • Reply 90 of 180
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Why should anyone? DVD is still a bigger industry than Apple is, at least it was last year, Apple is still growing, but it is definitely far bigger than Apple's iTunes video/movie business.

Yeah, DVD's are still a big industry, but what Apple is doing is trying to create the next gen product, and digital formats are the next gen, not physical discs... It's much like CD's were still huge when the iPod was introduced, but Apple never put a cd slot on an iPod.
  • Reply 91 of 180
    How about a survey for non-owners why they haven't bought one and what features you think should be added to make it more attractive? For me, what it comes down to is both the device and the movies are far too restrictive. Things I would like to see.

1. For the time being at-least, trade profit margins for adoption.

2. Work with the MPAA on a way to import your DVDs into iTunes. An option to export a copy of a digital movie to DVD (possibly with a fee) would also be nice

3. New Remote. What the simple Apple remote lacks in the amount of buttons, it makes up for in the number of times you have to press them to get anywhere. Give me something full featured, yet still smaller and elegant.

4. Work with Hulu and/or the TV networks on ways to view online editions of TV shows.

5. More configurations than just a set top box. For an Apple product, its ironically a cable mess. Your DVD player, your PVR, and your Apple TV all need to plug into different inputs and different wall plugs. Why not combine them into a single device? Better yet, why not combine all of it into a TV.

6. License the technology. iTunes digital movies aren't going anywhere as long as they're bound to Apple branded equipment. The home movie business is too diverse for a single company.
  • Reply 92 of 180
    I wonder if Apple is taking this survey seriously at all, I've been trying to take it since yesterday but couldn't due to errors, and now it's offline.
  • Reply 93 of 180
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post

Yeah, DVD's are still a big industry, but what Apple is doing is trying to create the next gen product, and digital formats are the next gen, not physical discs... It's much like CD's were still huge when the iPod was introduced, but Apple never put a cd slot on an iPod.

Sure, but the computer you used iTunes on to get the content to your iPod has an optical drive, and iTunes directly accesses that optical drive both for importing and just playing the content. You sit at that computer, load the iPod, them leave the house. The aTV stays home with you, and absolutely should be equipped to do the things you do with video at home. Without them, it's a completely useless device. People who are happy with their aTV's just aren't discerning enough to understand why this useless piece of crap can't do half of what it should for what it costs.
  • Reply 94 of 180
    Steve Jobs : "AppleTV is a hobby."

Read "I'm just not that into you."
  • Reply 95 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Sure, but the computer you used iTunes on to get the content to your iPod has an optical drive, and iTunes directly accesses that optical drive both for importing and just playing the content. You sit at that computer, load the iPod, them leave the house. The aTV stays home with you, and absolutely should be equipped to do the things you do with video at home. Without them, it's a completely useless device. People who are happy with their aTV's just aren't discerning enough to understand why this useless piece of crap can't do half of what it should for what it costs.

And unless you have a MacBook Air, the computer you use to get the content to your Apple TV has an optical drive.. Unfortunately, the ripping of DVD's is an illegal practice.. Fortunately, it can be still be done with software like Handbrake.

People who are un-happy with their atv's just aren't discerning enough to understand that technology is shifting, little plastic discs will become obsolete, Apple knows this and is "skating to where the puck will be."
  • Reply 96 of 180
    Quote:

People who are un-happy with their atv's just aren't discerning enough to understand that technology is shifting, little plastic discs will become obsolete, Apple knows this and is "skating to where the puck will be."

Oh is that the reason that I am un-happy with my AppleTV? All this time I thought it was totally something else like usability of my own files, no visualizer for my music, no recording, no safari, etc, etc.
  • Reply 97 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh is that the reason that I am un-happy with my AppleTV? All this time I thought it was totally something else like usability of my own files, no visualizer for my music, no recording, no safari, etc, etc.

Then maybe you should not have purchased a product that did not do the things you wanted? Just a thought..
  • Reply 98 of 180
    Quote:

Then maybe you should not have purchased a product that did not do the things you wanted? Just a thought..

FYI- When I purchased AppleTV back in May 2007 it was with the intention that Apple was offering and developing a solution to access my digital files in my living room. But what has happened its that it has been morphed by Apple into an iTunes Digital Jukebox with the sole intention of putting more $$ into Apple's pockets by either rental or purchases.

-Just so you know.

That shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend.
  • Reply 99 of 180
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

FYI- When I purchased AppleTV back in May 2007 it was with the intention that Apple was offering and developing a solution to access my digital files in my living room. But what has happened its that it has been morphed by Apple into an iTunes Digital Jukebox with the sole intention of putting more $$ into Apple's pockets by either rental or purchases.

-Just so you know.

That shouldn't be that difficult to comprehend.

Apple TV is a solution to access your digital files in the living room, as long as they are in an iTunes format which is the software that ATV is designed to work with, that has never been a secret.. If they are not, you can convert them..
  • Reply 100 of 180
    Quote:

And unless you have a MacBook Air, the computer you use to get the content to your Apple TV has an optical drive.. Unfortunately, the ripping of DVD's is an illegal practice.. Fortunately, it can be still be done with software like Handbrake.

Maybe you don't see it, but that platitude is dumb. By repeating it, you sound more like a clone than an individual, you're repeating someone else's propaganda.

Quote:

It took six+ years for Apple to become the dominant music seller, and Apple's uptake in videos seem to be going at a bit of a slower pace when compared to their music division.

iPod serves different needs, it's a portable device, and a CD drive would make it less portable. Maybe you haven't noticed, AppleTV isn't meant to be portable, and even if it were, it wouldn't really be any less portable with the drive. So portability really isn't the issue.

I'm not really saying that AppleTV should have a DVD drive, I'm just objecting to weak reasoning.

I can't say adding a DVD drive makes sense. Adding a DVD player would probably add another $50 to the device, maybe $10 in Apple's cost for the drive, and $20 for a DVD playback license, at least last I heard a couple years ago. The reason there are $30 DVD players is because those budget brands manage to duck the licensing fee, that's not something Apple can do. Also, those cheap brands try to slap together something that will barely last 100 days so the 90 day warranty is up. Given that so many other devices include a player, it's another duplication of capabilities.