Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter coming soon

Comments

• Reply 61 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I'd consider myself an "average consumer" and I have my computer connected to an HDMI monitor. I think the proper thing to say is the average consumer is not hooking their computer up to an HDTV. HDMI is first and foremost a solution to the home entertainment/media center market, where video and especially audio quality are demanding. HDMI was never intended for the wider computer market, much less to replace DVI in said market. It has, however, became an interim alternative to DVI by various manufacturers.

This is not without a caveat: although HDMI monitors are relatively plentiful, HDMI is still mostly relegated to high-end motherboards and especially graphics cards (and any true computer buff will tell you that you connect your monitor to your graphics card, not your motherboard). As such, nVIDIA has been pretty conservative in rolling out the red carpet to HDMI with its graphics cards (ATI has been a bit more welcoming in respect to both HDMI and DP). In all, DVI still remains the defacto standard on said computer parts for now. Furthermore, VESA did not create the DP standard to compete against or replace HDMI, since technically they are aimed at catering to two distinct markets which overlap in some areas.

As it stands right now, hooking up your computer to a computer monitor with HDMI is pointless, IMO. The only benefit would be if your monitor has speakers, but who listens to music etc through their monitor's speakers anyway? \

I have a Netflix membership so I can watch streaming Netflix, Hulu is free and most popular TV shows are shown the next day for free.

I find that to be a great "benefit".

I paid a total $1,049 for my XPS 1530 notebook with Nvidia 8600 GT 256mb ram and 4gb RAM, wireless keyboard and mouse.

In the Mac World that would barely scrape you by with last years powerbook with 1mb of RAM
  • Reply 62 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

I have a Netflix membership so I can watch streaming Netflix, Hulu is free and most popular TV shows are shown the next day for free.

I paid a total $1,049 for my XPS 1530 with Nvidia 8600 GT 256mb ram and 4gb RAM, wireless keyboard and mouse.

In the Mac World that would barely scrape you by with last years powerbook with 1mb of RAM

No disrespect MOT, but I don't see how any of that relates to what I said in my post.
  • Reply 63 of 102
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I paid a total $1,049 for my XPS 1530 notebook with Nvidia 8600 GT 256mb ram and 4gb RAM, wireless keyboard and mouse.

Yes but the OS you're running isn't too hot chief.

Thankfully that extra RAM enables faster connections to Redmon's Genuine Advantage servers to authenticate your next template download.

MOT - I'm not saying that HDMI sucks but there are clear reasons why the computing industry is moving to DisplayPort. Just a few

1. Flexiblity and extensibility through a unified internal/external interface and packet based protocol

2. LOCKING connectors standard

3. Up to 16bpp graphics

4. Royalty and license free.

5. Backward compatibility

May both HDMI and DP live long healthy lives.
  • Reply 64 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes but the OS you're running isn't too hot chief.

Thankfully that extra RAM enables faster connections to Redmon's Genuine Advantage servers to authenticate your next template download.

MOT - I'm not saying that HDMI sucks but there are clear reasons why the computing industry is moving to DisplayPort. Just a few

1. Flexiblity and extensibility through a unified internal/external interface and packet based protocol

2. LOCKING connectors standard

3. Up to 16bbp graphics

4. Royalty and license free.

5. Backward compatibility

May both HDMI and DP live long healthy lives.

Vista with Service Pack 1 is solid and Win 7 is just around the corner. I have no complaints about Vista after Service Pack 1.

Face it, I'm more than happy with my solution and you are happy with yours.

I just seem to be able to watch my computer on my TV and record to my computer for viewing later.
  • Reply 65 of 102
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Vista with Service Pack 1 is solid and Win 7 is just around the corner. I have no complaints about Vista after Service Pack 1.

Face it, I'm more than happy with my solution and you are happy with yours.

I just seem to be able to watch my computer on my TV and record to my computer for viewing later.

Me too
  • Reply 66 of 102
    Quote:

No disrespect MOT, but I don't see how any of that relates to what I said in my post.

No desrespect either but your last line was.

"As it stands right now, hooking up your computer to a computer monitor with HDMI is pointless, IMO. The only benefit would be if your monitor has speakers, but who listens to music etc through their monitor's speakers anyway? "

I don't find it pointless to watch streaming TV and movies for free.

Pay Apple for an extra box and the great quality of AppleTV. My solution is free and the quality is great with Netflix and average with Hulu.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:

No desrespect either but your last line was.

"As it stands right now, hooking up your computer to a computer monitor with HDMI is pointless, IMO. The only benefit would be if your monitor has speakers, but who listens to music etc through their monitor's speakers anyway? "

I don't find it pointless to watch streaming TV and movies for free.

Pay Apple for an extra box and the great quality of AppleTV. My solution is free and the quality is great with Netflix and average with Hulu.

I still don't understand...

I never said that it was pointless to watch streaming TV and movies for free. I said it is pointless, IMO, to hook up a computer monitor to a computer via an HDMI cable. I don't see how the two sentences equate. Besides, I watch streaming TV and movies for free with a DVI-D cable
  • Reply 68 of 102
    halvrihalvri Posts: 146member
    Quote:

HDMI 1.3 and above supports a max resolution of 2560x1600. DisplayPort has a similar spec, I believe.

I haven't yet seen a spec sheet verifying that, but I'll take your word for it for now. The one tangible benefit I know of on HDMI 1.3 is that it can display a substantially larger range of color (most of which the human eye can't even see).
  • Reply 69 of 102
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbw87 View Post

No, the connector on the LED Cinema Display is Mini-DP male, the one on the Macbook is female...

Well, that's just dumb. One more check mark against Display Port.
  • Reply 70 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's sounds great if you're into silent gaming.

You can select a different sound output on the PS3 [e.g. Video over HDMI, Audio Toslink]
  • Reply 71 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmuter View Post

You can select a different sound output on the PS3 [e.g. Video over HDMI, Audio Toslink]

Precisely. I use Toslink audio for my PS3...

It's unfortunate that Apple don't offer this functionality when the comparable Dell does. I think Apple may have consciously decided not to have anything other than Macs running on their new display for the mean time... Shame though, they're missing out on a fair market among students who like to have a monitor that can do both notebook and games console. Hoping an adaptor will solve this, anyway.
  • Reply 72 of 102
    So... Can anyone clarify. Will this adapter let me run an Xbox 360 into the LED Cinema Display (using either VGA or HDMI out of the X360)?
  • Reply 73 of 102
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Can't you just turn the cable around? DVI to HDMI adapters work both ways.

I don't think so. The mini DisplayPort jack seems to be emulating DVI when you connect a DVI adapter.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So explain how the new Cinema Displays receive audio from any new MacBook?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The USB cable is needed for the integrated 3-port hub on the display. I don't think it being there proves one way or another whether Mini-DP can do audio,

It's in the documentation, it says that you don't get audio until you connect the USB plug. The USB is also necessary if, for some reason, you want to use the screen's camera or microphone. All that except the hub could have been done through the DisplayPort jack, but that's how Apple chose to do it, I guess.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by T-rex View Post

So... Can anyone clarify. Will this adapter let me run an Xbox 360 into the LED Cinema Display (using either VGA or HDMI out of the X360)?

It won't work. You would need a special converter. I suggest buying a Dell Ultrasharp if you want to use a computer monitor as a game display.
  • Reply 74 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

DisplayPort will carry up to 8 channels of audio at up to 96khz.

It also has a 1mbps bi-direction auxiliary link which can be used for a varity of

signals (webcam, control signal etc)

The thing that makes DisplayPort the ideal solution to computing is that integrating it into chipsets is much easier because it never exceeds 2 volts. Plus it's not a raster based technology ..it uses up to 4 lanes so that if you have say a Netbook with that doesn't need 4 full links you can design it with say 2 lanes (links) reducing cost.

Most people don't know but HDMI has stringent demands for how it's routed through the computer. Vendors have to be careful in how they pass the cables through hinges and AIO computer are supposedly prohibited from having HDMI (I'll have to verify this through a web search )

In the end the bandwidth and unificatio of internal and external interfaces is largely going ot eradicate HDMI on the computer and those that need to bridge the two technologies will simply get the appropriate adapter.

Wow thank you so much dot that explanation. Very informative-excellent.
  • Reply 75 of 102
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

if you are so happy with your set up, why are you here whining about an apple product that you aren't going to buy anyway? very strange.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Some people like to pee in other peoples corn flakes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

if you are so happy with your set up, why are you here whining about an apple product that you aren't going to buy anyway? very strange.

• Reply 77 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

So because Apple didn't invent HDMI and doesn't receive the license fee we should therefor be denied a simplified solution?

Hey TechStud... you ever read anything besides your own drivel... or even that, based upon the anal-leakage spewing from your keyboard most of the time(?)

From Wikipedia: On November 27, 2008, Apple announced that it would license the Mini DisplayPort connector with no fee. Repeat: NO FEE!

PS: sorry I was late to the party!
  • Reply 78 of 102
    ikirikir Posts: 127member
    Quote:

What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't include HDMI in their computers as the PC market has been doing for the last couple years.

I come home, take my notebook and plug in the HDMI cable and switch to Video 7 on my TV and turn on my wireless keyboard and mouse and have everthing I need to stream Hulu, surf the web without the need for any additional hardware or software.

Chasing the puck with 1 adapter after another.

HDMI should be used in home electronics things, DVI and now Display ports are for computer world and have specific computer specific.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    I purchased a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from monoprice.com on January 8th. I paid $29 for the cable at that time. Monoprice is now selling the same cable for $9.88. I ordered the cable because I also pre-ordered a new 17" MacBook Pro and wanted the best possible option to hook up my laptop to a plasma or LCD TV. I received the cable within three days (but I am still waiting for Apple to send my laptop.) The DisplayPort to HDMI cable is incredible. The cable is much better quality than I expected. It looks very similar to the display adapter cables that you can purchase from Apple with the exception of the HDMI part of the cable being light gray and not having the same smooth white plastic coating (like the white MacBooks) that the Mini DisplayPort part has. However, the cable still looks great.

I hooked an older MacBook with a Mini DisplayPort up to two different 42" Panasonic plasma TVs. The first TV supported 1080p and the image on the TV was nearly as clear as on the laptop's LCD. The second TV only supported 1080i/720p and the image on the TV looked great except for when it came to displaying text. Text was slightly fuzzy, but still far more readable than with any other adapter I have tried. My only complaint about the adapter is that it does not transfer audio signals to my TV (or at least I could not get any sound -- maybe there is a setting that can be changed somewhere?) Anyway, the cable works great and I recommend using the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter much more than DVI or VGA if you are connecting to a device that supports HDMI.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Halvri View Post

DisplayPort carries sound, just not advanced codecs covering things like TrueHD 7.1. It's limited, but sound is there.

Who cares, you'll decode the sound to LPCM before sending it to the reciever/amp anyway. It's not like many amplifiers support bitstreaming of TrueHD or DTS HD MA yet.