Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter coming soon

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

What I don't understand is why Apple doesn't include HDMI in their computers as the PC market has been doing for the last couple years.

I come home, take my notebook and plug in the HDMI cable and switch to Video 7 on my TV and turn on my wireless keyboard and mouse and have everthing I need to stream Hulu, surf the web without the need for any additional hardware or software.

Chasing the puck with 1 adapter after another.

I don't know why they DIDN'T include HDMI, however Display port is where PC's are headed.. so they are playing catch up and fast forward here.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

I still don't understand...

I never said that it was pointless to watch streaming TV and movies for free. I said it is pointless, IMO, to hook up a computer monitor to a computer via an HDMI cable. I don't see how the two sentences equate. Besides, I watch streaming TV and movies for free with a DVI-D cable

There is a need for hooking up a computer to an HDMI monitor via a cable and that's to watch Blu-Ray. That's one reason we don't have Blu-Ray on the Mac because not only does it have to be supported in the depths of the OS for encoding and validation, but the hardware has to be HDMI complaint to handle the encryption. Display Port is HDMI compliant so when Apple fully implements this across their computers, they'll be ready (and Snow Leopard gets released). Thus, the reason for hooking a computer up to a monitor via HDMI is valid IF you want to watch BluRay.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kps84094 View Post

I purchased a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from monoprice.com... The DisplayPort to HDMI cable is incredible.... the HDMI part of the cable...I hooked an older MacBook with a Mini DisplayPort up to two different 42" Panasonic plasma TVs.... Anyway, the cable works great and I recommend using the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter much more than DVI or VGA if you are connecting to a device that supports HDMI.

Are you saying that you already have a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable (or adapter)?

What product ID at monoprice.com?
  • Reply 84 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Are you saying that you already have a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable (or adapter)?

Yes he is saying that; and he likely either works for them or is lying, or he's telling the truth. We'll never know I guess.
  • Reply 85 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

I am saying that I already have the cable/adapter. On monoprice.com, it is listed as a Mini-DVI to HDMI cable. Here is the link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
  • Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes he is saying that; and he likely either works for them or is lying, or he's telling the truth. We'll never know I guess.

Monoprice.com lists the cable/adapter as a Mini-DVI to HDMI cable. Here is the link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
  • Reply 87 of 102
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kps84094 View Post

Monoprice.com lists the cable/adapter as a Mini-DVI to HDMI cable. Here is the link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

That's the wrong cable.
  • Reply 88 of 102
  • Reply 89 of 102
  • Reply 90 of 102
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lifterus View Post

Keep telling yourself that. It's rapidly becoming more common than you think. Because of Netflix and Hulu I'm hearing of more and more normal people doing this.

That was in response to this

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer

I think the point is the average comsumer doesn't want to know a single word you typed.

They want to see a simple HDMI slot on their computer and one cable going to their TV for Sound and Video.

I simply do not think computers hooked up to HDTV is that prevalent yet nor do I really think they will become big items when you have Blu-ray players and HDTV themselves beginning to accept Netflix and other services as streaming content.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    Where's the Mini-Displayport -> regular Displayport adapter though? I'd be interested if that will fix the problems people have with the Dual-Link DVI adapter when using 30" screens.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    No one will ever convince me otherwise... Apple's decision to not include DVI, VGA, or even standard Displayport on their new monitor(s) was absolutely idiotic.. Why on earth would they want to reduce their potential market like that??
  • Reply 93 of 102
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

No one will ever convince me otherwise... Apple's decision to not include DVI, VGA, or even standard Displayport on their new monitor(s) was absolutely idiotic.. Why on earth would they want to reduce their potential market like that??

Well there's no need to convince you. Time will take care of that. Apple has skated to the puck ..they know that in a few years there will be plenty of DisplayPort options via many different vendors.
  • Reply 94 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Well there's no need to convince you. Time will take care of that. Apple has skated to the puck ..they know that in a few years there will be plenty of DisplayPort options via many different vendors.

Problem is that there is nothing right now - people are pretty much stuck to carrying around adapters, which Apple will gladly sell for $29 a pop. A 'standard' is only as good as its adaption rate, otherwise, it's just marketing BS.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

So in other words Apple is passing the cost onto its consumers requiring them to buy an Adapter rather than licensing it themselves to allow their computers to be hooked up to a TV.

To make matters worse DP doesn't even pass along audio to the TV so even if you Mickey Moused it you still can't watch Hulu or Netflix. OK, you can watch it you just can't listent to it.

I'll stick with my PC. I've been able to connect it to my TV for years.

You're so full of shit. I've been connecting my MBP to my HDTV for years with just one cable for audio and one for video. Yay, you can do it with one. I'm only half as awesome as you. Stop acting like you've discovered some gaping deficiency in the Mac.
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Problem is that there is nothing right now - people are pretty much stuck to carrying around adapters, which Apple will gladly sell for $29 a pop. A 'standard' is only as good as its adaption rate, otherwise, it's just marketing BS.

There is a very important distinction in the DisplayPort issue that you and many others keep missing... The Mini-DisplayPort situation on the Macbook/Pro is not that big of deal.. You indeed can use a simple adapter to connect to a DVI display. However, the new 24" LED-lit Cinema Display ONLY HAS A MINI-DISPLAYPORT CONNECTOR.. There is NOT AN ADAPTER to convert from a DVI-output on a laptop to a mini-displayport input on the Display (nor is it even POSSIBLE without a very complex "active" aka powered adapter -- it is NOT a matter of simply moving wires around, it would have to actually use signal processing to convert the DVI signal to a displayport signal), Not to mention I believe the mini-displayport on the Cinema display is a MALE plug that goes INTO the Macbook, so even if you had some type of active adapter from DVI->Displayport, it would have to have a "female" displayport receiver... Very strange and rather ridiculous..
  • Reply 97 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordyoupeoplearedense View Post

You're so full of shit. I've been connecting my MBP to my HDTV for years with just one cable for audio and one for video. Yay, you can do it with one. I'm only half as awesome as you. Stop acting like you've discovered some gaping deficiency in the Mac.

And your MBPro that you've been connecting for "years" has solely a displayport output?
  • Reply 98 of 102
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    An article that I'm sure will settle this once and for all... just as soon as unicorns fly through my window.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6594089.html

(Still an excellent comparison.)
  • Reply 99 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

An article that I'm sure will settle this once and for all... just as soon as unicorns fly through my window.

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6594089.html

(Still an excellent comparison.)

Yes a very good article with some interesting info

Quote:

For LVDS to handle 1920×1200-pixel resolution and 8 bits per color, it needs 10 high-speed differential-signal pairs, or 20 wires. For the same function, DisplayPort reduces this requirement to only two pairs, or four wires. An LVDS implementation requires at least 3.3 or 2.5V, so it?s becoming increasingly difficult at 45-nm and smaller process geometries.

Because DisplayPort is ac-coupled, instead of dc-coupled like HDMI, it has a lower voltage swing and a different termination scheme. You must terminate HDMI only at the receiver and pull it up to 3.3V, says Pericom?s Raouf. But you can terminate DisplayPort at both the source and the receiver, and it can never exceed 2V

This to me is quite interesting seeing as how Westermere 32nm is due this year and Intel's integrating many items that were typically managed by the North Bridge into the CPU itself. Voltage would seem to be very important at this level of integration.

Right now DisplayPort parts are more expensive because their are thousands of manufacturers making LVDS products but DisplayPort wins with Apple and Dell are going to help its visibility. The growing pains won't be that significant since there is backwards compatibilty (despite the whining about adapters)
  • Reply 100 of 102
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I particularly liked how the DisplayPort spec *IS* intelligent enough to hook up to HDMI, because it's adapting to the sensed HDMI adapter. Very slick. I was under the impression that the signals were compatible, but no, it's actually modifying the signal to match on the fly. Ditto with DVI. Much more brains in there than most suspect.

The distinction between internal and external display standards is an important one, and one that I wasn't aware of until recently. DP unifies the two, simplifies the mobo, simplifies the wiring to the display, and provides a single port that can do the duty of many. Gotta love it. Once this hits even reasonable economies of scale, it will reduce manufacturing costs nicely. As you point out, with Apple and Dell behind it, that scale won't take long.

Too bad the spec didn't come with User Whining Detection to toss up a Cone of Silence.