Apple absent from universal phone charger push

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple is not at all in the same situation as other mobile handset makers. The 30 pin dock connector is ubiquitous across all Apple's handheld devices, including 3rd party devices.

Other handset makers use entirely different connectors and voltage across different lines of their own phones. Its a complete quandary with them. I don't see the need to pull Apple into the need to clean up their mess. Apple has settled on an elegant solution that its used for years now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I hope Apple will adopt micro-USB for charging iPhones and iPods.

• Reply 42 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The article forgot to mention that the universal charging method would be Micro-USB.

I'm not sure which article you read...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

The GSMA and 17 mobile operators plan to develop a universal charging solution that would appear by January 1, 2012. Micro-USB will be the common charging interface.

• Reply 43 of 115
    Apple will be on to wireless chargers by 2012.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    The problem with micro-usb is that it is a new "standard" after mini-usb, and more importantly it is a single voltage solution. While 5VDC works well for a lot of things, it would be nice to have something closer to firewire where a higher voltage can be requested.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    While we are standardizing on our charging interfaces, why not standardize on how we plug in to our power grid at the same time?

3-prong plugs are bulky and ugly and a pain in the butt to wire. If I were king, I'd start there. Then I'd let Apple design a really cool MagSafe style of universal connector for electronics.

The goals would be:

Easy insertion without even looking at the device

As close to zero friction as possible

As small as possible to perform all the functions needed yet fit on small devices

Durable & Efficient

Like USB, there may need to be a few iterations of the standard to fit special case or fulfill unusual requirements.

I've played with the MagSafe adapter and it's so cool and easy and functional that I can't believe someone isn't looking into this for other applications like the iPod. Plugging the 30-pin into an iPod touch is a little tricky. No margin for error. And it's even worse if you have a protective case for your touch.
  • Reply 46 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jinx101 View Post

The only other beef I have is having to have my iPod Touch tethered to iTunes (which, can barely handle the load of music I have.. while every other program I use runs peppy, iTunes crawls at a snails pace). It would be much easier if you could dock, and then just copy music to it like a drive (like most other MP3 players). That, would be simplistic. Not having to use a bloated mandatory software package.

I've used iTunes on slow computers without issue. The problem with just copying files over is that it's harder to put automatic smarts into that. With iTunes, I have it set up such that each time I plug the device in, all the tracks that were played get swapped out for new ones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

While we are standardizing on our charging interfaces, why not standardize on how we plug in to our power grid at the same time?

3-prong plugs are bulky and ugly and a pain in the butt to wire. If I were king, I'd start there.

Making them less bulky isn't going to make it any easier for the electrician to wire. It's not even that hard, it's a one-time five minute install and it's usually good for several decades. The prongs are spaced that far apart for good reason.
  • Reply 47 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I hope Apple will adopt micro-USB for charging iPhones and iPods.

Extremely doubtful- it would cut into their own charger sales.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple is not at all in the same situation as other mobile handset makers. The 30 pin dock connector is ubiquitous across all Apple's handheld devices, including 3rd party devices.

Other handset makers use entirely different connectors and voltage across different lines of their own phones. Its a complete quandary with them. I don't see the need to pull Apple into the need to clean up their mess. Apple has settled on an elegant solution that its used for years now.

Apple wil change it sooner than you think to an even different configuration just to make us buy new connectors/cable. It's already happened to the iPod and Macbooks like how many times now?
  • Reply 49 of 115
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Has everyone seen the size of the Palm Pre wireless charger? It's not something I'd like to carry around on a regular basis.
  • Reply 50 of 115
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boer View Post

European Union is expected to make compatibility with a standard charger mandatory in few years. This makes perfect sense for customers, makers and the environment. This is also notably something a free market could never achieve.

Yes and everyone in the world shall now speak only French just so we can all communicate with each other more clearly.
  • Reply 51 of 115
    We have a couple Nokia phones in the house and we use one universal (Nokia) charger for them all.
  • Reply 52 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GT500Shlby View Post

It's funny to see Motorola there. They were usually the worst offenders, even with micro-usb if you plugged a non-Motorola charger into the plug it would complain with a message and not charge, yet the Motorola charger would work in the other phone. Both were same voltage and amperage.

omg i thot i was the only one experiencing that! grr i hate how motorola has done that.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    i suppose if you are into conspiracy you can look at it this way. It can also be asked, are connectors never supposed to change?

The iPod changed from the original firewire port to the dock connector. The dock connector may not have been feasible until 2003. Yes its likely with the introduction of USB 3 that the dock connector will have some changes.

The notebook power connection has only changed once in the past 10 years. Is it supposed to remain the same and not change with newer technology?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple wil change it sooner than you think to an even different configuration just to make us buy new connectors/cable. It's already happened to the iPod and Macbooks like how many times now?

• Reply 54 of 115
    There are lots of options for chargers outside of Apple. Apple doesn't own USB charging, and they license out the male dock connection.

Quote:

Extremely doubtful- it would cut into their own charger sales.

• Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:

Apple have changed the 30 pin connector on the iPod ?? when did that happen?
  • Reply 56 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I agree! Why let software handle the hard work. I want my next iPod/iPhone to have front panel switches and lights so I can manually set the bits in memory.

sarcasm is the highest form of intellect, and your post is the reason there is spit on my screen.

FUNNY!
  • Reply 57 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes and everyone in the world shall now speak only French just so we can all communicate with each other more clearly.

England is part of the European union, what language do you speak? is it English?

there is irony somewhere in there, but i doubt if you see it
  • Reply 58 of 115
    The original iPod in 2001 did not use the 30 pin dock connector. But that's like complaining that a PowerBook in 1998 did not have FireWire. It wasn't available yet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Apple have changed the 30 pin connector on the iPod ?? when did that happen?

• Reply 59 of 115
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Making them less bulky isn't going to make it any easier for the electrician to wire. It's not even that hard, it's a one-time five minute install and it's usually good for several decades. The prongs are spaced that far apart for good reason.

You literally have to think outside the box on this one. Wiring is not even close to elegant or efficient.

Take apart an outlet in your kitchen and look at the mash of wires back there. It's cumbersome, clumsy, inelegant and likely a safety hazard. There is much room for improvement.

I know it won't be done any time soon, but these are the things I ponder all the time.
  • Reply 60 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

You literally have to think outside the box on this one. Wiring is not even close to elegant or efficient.

Take apart an outlet in your kitchen and look at the mash of wires back there. It's cumbersome, clumsy, inelegant and likely a safety hazard. There is much room for improvement.

I know it won't be done any time soon, but these are the things I ponder all the time.

So, you're actually thinking inside the box, not the face plate.

I've done some wiring. Have you seen the new outlet fixtures? They're not even that new, they've been around for a few years, insert straight, stripped wire, tighten screw. They're really quick, clean and easy. Installers can do it sloppily too, but there's not much good trying to escape that with better design. The old ones really were a pain where they expected you to make a loop out of the wire and screw the loop on.

I think part of your problem is the electrical code, you have to have the wiring stapled within a certain distance of the electrical box, and that's for safety so the weight of the wire doesn't work itself out. That doesn't leave much room for flexing so you can have enough cable to wire the outlet.

I suppose it could be done differently where you wire to a special box with special connectors, and the outlets are on a plate that snap-in. That's going to cost more though, and it seems pretty silly as extra wire in the box really isn't unsafe and almost nobody goes back into those boxes often after it's installed.