10.2.2 out in three weeks.

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I have to agree that 10.3 will likely be a paid upgrade and probably won't be here until the end of the summer of 2003 or fall 2003. 10.1 was really a special case, in which Apple had to get a significant update for 10.0 out becasue it was so unuseable. 10.1 being a free update was kind of a thank you for all of those people that bought and used 10.0, like myself. It would have been really bad PR on Apple's part if they released a deathly unfeature complete 10.0, and then asked people to pay again for 10.1 only 6 months later.

And if the updates are coming out once a year, that's the same upgrade cycle as Mac OS Classic and nobody complained about paying then.

Back to 10.2.2:

I thought it would have been released already. I really want to get my hands on that journaling feature. It will be nice piece of mind knowing that I probably don't have to worry about file system corruption anymore. With a journaling file system and fsck, the reasons for buying a disk utility keep become more a more insignificant. (I don't have a disk utility, since I upgrade to Jaguar and Drive 10 was broken).

I'm actually not all that suprised that journaling is coming out now. After the 10.2 I wondered if they would do journaling in a 10.2.x update since they did HFS+ in 8.1, and the 8.x,9.x updates are really similar to the 10.X.x updates.

Now if only we could get iChat 1.5 with ICQ intergration through the AOL/ICQ merger. Would be sweet.

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: Quarem ]</p>
  • Reply 42 of 55
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Question: Once resouce forks are completely eliminated, and Carbon becomes a low-level api instead of transitionary, will Mac OS X switch to UFS as default?

I'd sure like negligable fragmentation, how about you?

Barto
  • Reply 43 of 55
    Yeah I sure would like negligible fragmentation. But I'm sure if UFS is going to the file-system that Apple is going to transition to. I wouldn't be surprised if they came up with somethings themselves that is really sweet.

This new file system might go hand and hand with better meta-data handling in X. Who knows? Only time will tell.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>I thought it would have been released already.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I'm almost sure that today is the day.

[quote]Originally posted by Quarem:

<strong>I really want to get my hands on that journaling feature. It will be nice piece of mind knowing that I probably don't have to worry about file system corruption anymore. With a journaling file system and fsck, the reasons for buying a disk utility keep become more a more insignificant. (I don't have a disk utility, since I upgrade to Jaguar and Drive 10 was broken).</strong><hr></blockquote>

HFS+J is only in Mac OS X Server 10.2.2.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Elvis is only in the server!?
  • Reply 46 of 55
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatic:

<strong>Elvis is only in the server!?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, Elvis is in the server.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>

Yes, Elvis is in the server. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you, thank-you-very-much.

An odd decision. I can imagine the developers thinking the feature is only necessary for servers. But not losing your data is a Good Thing for everyone.

Maybe Elvis will play to the masses in a late revision.

Screed

[ 11-08-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>
  • Reply 48 of 55
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    [quote]Originally posted by sCreeD:

<strong>But not losing your data is a Good Thing for everyone.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Journaling doesn't equal never losing any data. It keeps track of data changes and can help a lot with power outages, but will you really suffer much from them with a computer that's only on a third a day (typical home computer)?
  • Reply 49 of 55
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I believe Elvis is available in both - but only in the GUI for the server. BUt that's just my belief.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    I'd imagine the fact that server costs much more than the regular version of OS X is one reason to put it in server only...
  • Reply 51 of 55
    I have confirmed that the early release of X client do in fact have journaling. But it must be enabled from the command-line. Let's hope it stays in there until the release.

It doesn't look like 10.2.2 is going to be out today. Maybe this weekend, but probably next week.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Only via CLI would suck.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    My first Apple computer, a new Powerbook will ship in 3 weeks. Do you think I will get 10.2.2 when it ships?

Thanks,

-Chris
  • Reply 54 of 55
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    [quote]Originally posted by sunkist:

<strong>My first Apple computer, a new Powerbook will ship in 3 weeks. Do you think I will get 10.2.2 when it ships?

Thanks,

-Chris</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. As of this week some computers in the Apple Store may be running 10.2.2

A@ron
  • Reply 55 of 55
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    word is its done and out in 2-3 days...