Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 101 of 278
    It's faster than Safari 3 for me at least. I like the quick page building now.

What annoys me is that when you have the a page open and take a look at the Top Sites with the help of the icon in the bookmark bar, you can only go back by going back (arrow or Cmd + <). Then it has to rebuild the page again. Which is fast of course.

Not even ESC helped, or pressing the icon again.
  • Reply 102 of 278
    What's not to like about Safari 4?

Work great.

Hey, anyone else think it's snappier too?
  • Reply 103 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tpf1952 View Post

What's not to like about Safari 4?

Work great.

Hey, anyone else think it's snappier too?

Definitely snappier for me too and I like getting more vertical space back. I've got eons of horizontal space (well 24" to be exact) so compressing vertically makes sense to me functionally even if the UI looks a bit strange at first blush.
  • Reply 104 of 278
    Top Sites is, so far, a great new feature and I like the cover flow browser history as well. Speed is definitely improved!
  • Reply 105 of 278
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    1) coverflow history doesn't show 'thumbnail' of SSL sites... just grey page with lock icon. If you use a lot of ssl pages, it makes the feature pretty ugly/useless.

2) ok, I know I'm just blind, but where is the 'home' icon anywhere on the page?

3) don't understand the griping about the tabs in the title bar. Seems like a better use of lost space, and dragging works fine, even with tons of tabs open.

4) can't find a way to import my Firefox favorites... if I could do that, I'd probably switch now.

Any change in in interface, no matter how trivial, takes a bit to get used to. The question always becomes, can I devote a day to just get used to it?

I can't get my wife to switch from Thunderbird to Mail because she doesn't see the learningCurve/benefits ratio as being worth if. Others of us just switch to keep things interesting.
  • Reply 106 of 278
    The "Top Sites" display on first launch with an iMac G5 2.1 GHz with 2.5 GB of RAM is PAINFULLY SLOW. I can't imagine how painful it would be on a G3 or G4. Will have to turn off that feature. I don't need to see 12 webpages at one time.
  • Reply 107 of 278
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The "Top Sites" display on first launch with an iMac G5 2.1 GHz with 2.5 GB of RAM is PAINFULLY SLOW. I can't imagine how painful it would be on a G3 or G4. Will have to turn off that feature. I don't need to see 12 webpages at one time.

Just guessing but probly has more to do with your weak graphics card
  • Reply 108 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Wow...Apple has really gone out of its way to fuck up all HI guidelines with Safari 4.

In you want to move a Safari window and you like tabs, good luck clicking part of the titlebar that isn't a "rip a tab out" grab-handle widget or a close widget.

Although the concept is interesting, in practice, this tab UI is horrendous.

Everything else about Safari 4 is excellent though...nice use of Cover Flow and Core Animation for the top sites preview wall. Great history and bookmark search. And full page zoom is finally enabled for the unwashed masses. Google search suggestions. Overall, this version of Safari is the biggest update since version 1.0...too bad about the unconventional tab UI.

What are you talking about - click and hold the mouse and move. It's not gonna close the tab if you hold the button pressed.
  • Reply 109 of 278
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Agreed. Even more awful is that I have to hit the ribbed part to reorder the tabs?

What where they thinking?

Remember folks, people like you and I "Beta Test" most applications - BEFORE they get to this stage. So it would seems folks like you and me, are to blame when issues are what they are.

Yes I know that sometimes we make suggestions, and they don't get into the current version, but none the less, we the beta testers provide the feedback for companies, so they may or may not change or fixed things. They WILL NOT make all of us happy. Most decisions are based on the number of comments, good or bad, and from there it's anyone guess what happens.

I haven't downloaded this application yet, but it's safe to say they have a button or link for "Feedback" - let them know what you think, what you like, what you dislike, it's the only way things will change.

Skip
  • Reply 110 of 278
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

For the record, Safari AdBlock still works perfectly and since that's the only plug-in I use I'm a happy camper.

Thanks! I was about to ask about that before going through the whole installation rigmarole. Heading for the download now. FAB, Virgil.

Wait, on second thought, anyone know if it breaks 1Password?
  • Reply 111 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Remember folks, people like you and I "Beta Test" most applications - BEFORE they get to this stage. So it would seems folks like you and me, are to blame when issues are what they are.

Yes I know that sometimes we make suggestions, and they don't get into the current version, but none the less, we the beta testers provide the feedback for companies, so they may or may not change or fixed things. They WILL NOT make all of us happy. Most decisions are based on the number of comments, good or bad, and from there it's anyone guess what happens.

I haven't downloaded this application yet, but it's safe to say they have a button or link for "Feedback" - let them know what you think, what you like, what you dislike, it's the only way things will change. Skip

"Bug" at the top right side.

Love the tabs at the top

Now they are more like my filing cabinet. Easier to read and faster, particularly if use Tabs a lot, which I do. And more room for the content. As Apple states, "In its new efficient and compact design, Safari integrates tabs at the top of your browser window, giving you more room to enjoy your favorite sites."

Now that I have been running it for a couple of hours, I just went and clicked Cover Flow: wow.
  • Reply 112 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Just guessing but probly has more to do with your weak graphics card

No, it is more like trying to load 12 different web pages at one time. No matter how fast your connection may be, or your graphics card may be, internet traffic will slow that process down.
  • Reply 113 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Wow...Apple has really gone out of its way to fuck up all HI guidelines with Safari 4.

In you want to move a Safari window and you like tabs, good luck clicking part of the titlebar that isn't a "rip a tab out" grab-handle widget or a close widget.

Although the concept is interesting, in practice, this tab UI is horrendous.

Everything else about Safari 4 is excellent though...nice use of Cover Flow and Core Animation for the top sites preview wall. Great history and bookmark search. And full page zoom is finally enabled for the unwashed masses. Google search suggestions. Overall, this version of Safari is the biggest update since version 1.0...too bad about the unconventional tab UI.

I have no problem moving the window. Stop being a drama queen!
  • Reply 114 of 278
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

No, it is more like trying to load 12 different web pages at one time. No matter how fast your connection may be, or your graphics card may be, internet traffic will slow that process down.

It doesn't load all the pages when you click on top sites. It loads the page you select
  • Reply 115 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Thanks! I was about to ask about that before going through the whole installation rigmarole. Heading for the download now. FAB, Virgil.

Wait, on second thought, anyone know if it breaks 1Password?

From Daring Fireball...

Joe Messina tweets:

Safari 4 looks effing amazing but breaks 1Password. Fail.

Assuming he?s right and 1Password indeed doesn?t (yet) work in Safari 4, let?s just get things straight. 1Password?s Safari integration is an input manager hack. There are no supported plugin APIs to enable what 1Password does. Apple can?t ?break? something they never supported in the first place.
  • Reply 116 of 278
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I love it!
  • Reply 117 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Unbelievably fast!

Make sure your computer meets the specs:

Macintosh Requirements
    • Any Mac running Security Update 2009-001 and Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.6 or Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.11

• Mac with an Intel processor or a Power PC G5, G4, or G3 processor and built-in FireWire®

• 256MB of RAM

• Top Sites and Cover Flow on Mac OS X Tiger require a Quartz-Extreme compatible video card.

Click More details while you are on the page (http://www.apple.com/safari/download/)

And it wouldn't be a bad idea to review the 150 Features (http://www.apple.com/safari/features.html) before asking dumb questions or making stupid assumptions.

Interesting that Apple mentioned "built-in Firewire" since there is no FW included on the new MB. I don't think FW is required for Safari... but who does use FW for Safari? I think PR need to be more careful what to say. :P
  • Reply 118 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Gmail works fine for me in Safari 4.

Gmail works on my PC running Safari 4, but it does not work on my Mac.
  • Reply 119 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by supremedesigner View Post

Interesting that Apple mentioned "built-in Firewire" since there is no FW included on the new MB. I don't think FW is required for Safari... but who does use FW for Safari? I think PR need to be more careful what to say. :P

'Clipboard Inheritance' error.
  • Reply 120 of 278
    I thought i would give it another try but to no avail.

I reset my disk permissions thinking that, that was the problem, reset Safari 3 before i did the install of Safari 4 and BOOM! Unexpected Error message and i never get to see the Safari window.

If anybody can give me an explanation as to why this is happening to me, i would greatly appreciate it. I've deleted the .plist in hoping it would fix it but i got nothing.