Apple releases public beta of Safari 4 browser

Comments

• Reply 121 of 278
    I am a graphics person and I hate navigating website histories and favorites manually by trying to read incomprehensible lines of gibberish like ?showthread.php?t=95519&page=3?. I need to see graphical elements so the top sites UI and history coverflow UI are welcome additions for me. This will definitely improve my user experience! Thanks Apple!
  • Reply 122 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

1) coverflow history doesn't show 'thumbnail' of SSL sites... just grey page with lock icon. If you use a lot of ssl pages, it makes the feature pretty ugly/useless.

2) ok, I know I'm just blind, but where is the 'home' icon anywhere on the page?

3) don't understand the griping about the tabs in the title bar. Seems like a better use of lost space, and dragging works fine, even with tons of tabs open.

4) can't find a way to import my Firefox favorites... if I could do that, I'd probably switch now.

Any change in in interface, no matter how trivial, takes a bit to get used to. The question always becomes, can I devote a day to just get used to it?

I can't get my wife to switch from Thunderbird to Mail because she doesn't see the learningCurve/benefits ratio as being worth if. Others of us just switch to keep things interesting.

1) It will once you've visited those sites - once you do, then there will be a snapshot of the page instead of the lock icon

2) Go to VIEW > CUSTOMIZE TOOLBAR... then insert the home icon into the toolbar...

3) I agree - I like it much better

4) Download Foxmarks for Firefox, create account, upload them to the cloud then download Foxmarks for Safari and pull them from the cloud - or at least that's how I get my bookmarks synced between the two. Not sure if you mean the same thing when you're saying favorites...
  • Reply 123 of 278
    [QUOTE=kim kap sol;1380457In you want to move a Safari window and you like tabs, good luck clicking part of the titlebar that isn't a "rip a tab out" grab-handle widget or a close widget.[/QUOTE]

Really? I got it on the first try. Are you using common sense and grabbing near the top?
  • Reply 124 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Thanks! I was about to ask about that before going through the whole installation rigmarole. Heading for the download now. FAB, Virgil.

Just keep staking those vampires through the heart! (and don't listen to your editor)

1Password requires an input hack so it's broken right now I think (I don't use it).
  • Reply 125 of 278
    Quote:

Safari 4 looks effing amazing but breaks 1Password. Fail.

For 1Password and PithHelmet you have to edit their respective plist files to include the latest version of Safari. After doing that both work fine.

1Password: Control-click on 1Password, select Show Package Contents, go to Contents/Resources/SupportedBrowsers.plist, open it with Text Edit and in the Safari entry change MaxBundleVersion to 5528.16

PithHelmet: Go to Library/Application Support/SIMBL/Plugins/PithHelmet.bundle, control-click on it, select Show Package Contents, go to Contents/Info.plist, open it with Text Edit and change MaxBundleVersion to 5528.16
  • Reply 126 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Where did the "Merge all windows" option go?

As others have mentioned, I like Chrome's ability to drag and drop and merge and pull out and put back tabs a lot better.

I will also be waiting for plug-ins and the ability to disable them individually rather than all or none

I also liked the ability to close tabs that I'm not currently viewing, can't do that anymore

Not sure what you mean here.

"Merge all Windows" is still there in the Windows menu.

Tabs behave exactly the same in Safari as Chrome (except the separate process thing I guess). Pulling out a tab results in a new window, putting it back in merges the windows, clicking on non-active Tabs closes them just as you want. None of the behaviour you are saying is missing is actually missing AFAICS.
  • Reply 127 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UTisNUM1 View Post

I thought i would give it another try but to no avail.

I reset my disk permissions thinking that, that was the problem, reset Safari 3 before i did the install of Safari 4 and BOOM! Unexpected Error message and i never get to see the Safari window.

If anybody can give me an explanation as to why this is happening to me, i would greatly appreciate it. I've deleted the .plist in hoping it would fix it but i got nothing.

If you don't have the latest security updates this would happen. I would make sure that you use Software Update before trying again just to eliminate that as a possible reason.
  • Reply 128 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

No way to disable Google suggestions? So every key I press Google has to know about it now, it's not enough that they know the final search.

I don't understand you people with privacy paranoia. Are *you* so important that you think that Google is specifically interested in determining what sites *you* are visiting? Do you really believe that when you type something or click something, your name, address, and blood type are attached to the search results, and someone at Google is saying, "wow, look at the sites ascii's browsing"?
  • Reply 129 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

2) ok, I know I'm just blind, but where is the 'home' icon anywhere on the page?

Click on the Sprocket icon and then choose Customize Toolbar... to add the Homepage button.

Your other concerns are valid, but I imagine that Apple will be working on those as they seem like a natural step. I also think that Apple will follow Google's Chrome by making each tab a separate process but that such a low level redesign just wasn't possible for this release.
  • Reply 130 of 278
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Assuming he’s right and 1Password indeed doesn’t (yet) work in Safari 4, let’s just get things straight. 1Password’s Safari integration is an input manager hack. There are no supported plugin APIs to enable what 1Password does. Apple can’t “break” something they never supported in the first place.

Oh, for crying out loud. Ask a simple question and get a pedantic lesson on what "officially supported" means. Let's get something else straight. Safari can't fill in user names and passwords on all sites. If I want to use very strong and thus difficult to remember passwords, Safari's autofill won't work on those sites and I'm forced to go look up the passwords. Hence, 1Password. Once Safari autofill works everywhere, then you can talk about how Safari doesn't need to support this or that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Londor View Post

For 1Password and PithHelmet you have to edit their respective plist files to include the latest version of Safari. After doing that both work fine.

1Password: Control-click on 1Password, select Show Package Contents, go to Contents/Resources/SupportedBrowsers.plist, open it with Text Edit and in the Safari entry change MaxBundleVersion to 5528.16

Thank you. Just what I needed.
  • Reply 131 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I also liked the ability to close tabs that I'm not currently viewing, can't do that anymore

Yes, you can. Have you moused over any tabs, yet? :-)
  • Reply 132 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

If you don't have the latest security updates this would happen. I would make sure that you use Software Update before trying again just to eliminate that as a possible reason.

It is installed. I really want to use it too.
  • Reply 133 of 278
    mysticmystic Posts: 514member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cordisco View Post

Gmail works on my PC running Safari 4, but it does not work on my Mac.

G Mail was down

Gmail problems
  • Reply 134 of 278
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Not sure what you mean here.

"Merge all Windows" is still there in the Windows menu.

Thanks, I thought that was oddly gone too. I think that I, like many others think that the Menu bar was removed in favour of only the Sprocket icon. You have to Show Menu Bar before you can see the Windows drop down menu to see Merge All Windows. Frankly, I like not having the Menu Bar so having the option to Merge All Windows within the Sprocket icon of even as a right-click on the Tab Bar would be ideal.
  • Reply 135 of 278
    Trying it out on 2.5 Ghz 17" Macbook Pro (made just before the unibodies).

So far:

\The track pad zooming could be a little more accurate. It is far easier to just use the command -/+

The fact that when you zoom, it zooms the page, not just the text. This is excellent for people who have the 17" laptop screens, are at the highest display settings, and can't see the tiny text. Usually I would have to zoom the text and it would mess up the format of some pages. Now everything works out great!

\Going forward and back using multi-touch works out the same way as it did before

\Doesn't really seem to load pages any faster; could be my connection though.

LOVE the Top Sites viewer

LOVE the Coverflow Bookmark/History bar.

DO NOT like the above tabs; I wish they went back to the old style. This would be more of a problem if I didn't know the keyboard shortcuts. It's also kind of weird to move around now; but that's just something that I could acclimate to.

Did I mention that Coverflow is really slick and smooth?

Overall interfacing is smooth and quick.

Summation

I was pretty happy with Safari 3 and it seems like I'll love this new one, I'll just need to adjust to the tabs thing.

Note:

Starting it out was kind of slow because I guess it had to take all the information about my browsing habits, afterwards it worked pretty fast.
  • Reply 136 of 278
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    One "feature" that's still missing, is that when you click a link that opens in a new tab, and then close that new tab, you don't get sent back to the tab you were on when you clicked the link, but just to the next tab in the list.

Camino (and I suppose FF as well) sends you back to the tab you were last on, which is much much more logical if you ask me.
  • Reply 137 of 278
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Assuming he?s right and 1Password indeed doesn?t (yet) work in Safari 4, let?s just get things straight. 1Password?s Safari integration is an input manager hack. There are no supported plugin APIs to enable what 1Password does. Apple can?t ?break? something they never supported in the first place.

There will be an update imminently, I am sure. Those guys update frequently and are quick to respond

Love the new S4 and I prefer the tabs on top - people just don't like change, I think. A lot of complaining at minor issues.
  • Reply 138 of 278
    Okay i finally got it to work! I had the Glims plugin installed and had to get rid of it ( i turned most of the stuff off anyway ). It works great. It's snippy and renders pages way faster than Safari 3. Any clue as to when this will be out?
  • Reply 139 of 278
    I've already backdated to 3. Can't stand the tabs on top plus you can't close inactive tabs without first switching to it. I may have to move to firefox as much as i hate it.
  • Reply 140 of 278
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple has adopted the tab-in-menu-bar layout of Google's Chrome, but did they adopt the most important aspect of Chrome, the sandboxed processes of each tab?

It would seem not, but (humorously) no one seems to notice and a lot are talking about how Safari 4 is now "better than chrome."

I guess moving the tabs to the menu bar and inverting them copied the appearance of chrome which now means "chrome sucks!" or something of that sort?? This shows why you should never take a comment in an internet forum seriously I guess.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There were also two other issues with Opera passing. One was that it was only in an internal build,not a public one when it claimed to have passed. The second was that there was discovered an error with Hickson's test that pushed Opera back to 99/100. WebKit was the first to get real 100/100 with perfect pixel matching.

Interesting details.

I found this quote on the Apple web page describing the "150 features":

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple

Acid 3 Compliance:

Safari is the first ? and only ? web browser to pass Acid 3.

Is this true?

I immediately went to Operas web site and there is nothing I can find that mentions Acid 3. A search of their site fails to do anything. I would have assumed Opera passes Acid 3 in it's shipping version by now.