Apple's Safari 4 UI changes hint at plans for Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    There is a Growl HTML email incompatibility with Safari 4 (see the Growl forum discussion Safari 4 Beta broke GrowlMail). This can be circumvented by turning off the Growl email support (in the Growl preference pane) and deleting the Growl email plugin manually (delete "Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/" and/or "/User/You/Library/Mail/Bundles/GrowlMail.mailbundle/").
  • Reply 62 of 144
    I like Safari 4.0 beta a lot so far and it works as if it's a final version with no problem at all, well probably except that I can't delete mails from Hotmail which I don't use.

While it takes some time to get use to the "tab on top" and I have to be more accurate when I wanna drag a tab instead of the window, I am liking this change. But I think it would be applaudable to add an option in preference for users to enable it or turn it back to where it was.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

You might consider taking this opportunity to learn the keyboard shortcut: ⌘R

Keyboard shortcuts are always faster than mousing to buttons!

I use keyboard shortcuts for EVERYTHING (so, yes, I do know that one). except when I'm eating. that's when I use the mouse.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    I'm sorry to bring this up, but on seeing those pics, I hear the voice of Steve Jobs in my head.

"Tabs on Top look UGLY"

Steve can't be too well

--

Get Better Soon Steve.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Zoom In, "command-+" works better on this site in particular.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

Select "History>Search Results SnapBack..."

Thank you kindly - I'd like my button back though....
  • Reply 67 of 144
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

Also, worth a note: that moving of the "refresh" button is gonna kill me. I mean, I like it and all... but my brain needs rewiring.

cmd-R (it becomes automatic, like cmd-s etc) , or right click / reload (within any web page except on images or on the tab itself)

Generally speaking I think people are VERY quick to judge it. Live with it for a week and see.

I like the tabs on top though I have to agree it looks messy. But then I didn't like the look of tabs below either. Flipping through the tabs using ctrl-tab is good but it would be even better if it worked like cmd-tab (bar appears listing current apps open)
  • Reply 68 of 144
    I couldn't take it anymore - I've put the Tabs back to where they were.

The Refresh button can be returned to the tool bar if you turn off the new 'loading' display.

0 (zero) will get you back to default magnification, just like the Adobe apps and Preview etc.

The zoom is an outstanding feature IMHO
  • Reply 69 of 144
    SnapBack seems to be borked under Tiger
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Are you clueless because you're a windows user, or a windows user because you're clueless? hmmmm.....

The removal of menu bar in Windows is part of the "looks like Windows" "feature," it's following the new MS paradigm as you can see in Media Player, IE8, the new Office, Vista's explorer, etc. Chrome has also adopted this.

Obviously, the other reason you'd be clicking in the tab bar is to move the window around- oh wait, I'm guessing you probably like to use things in "Maximize" mode. :'/ Hence, the need for the corner in this new implementation.

Umm, wow. Where to start. First off - quit being a prick... I've been a Mac user my whole life and own one to this day. However, I can't use a mac for work because engineering applications aren't on the Mac...

We don't have any of the new MS software here at work (just like most major companies) because it's crap so I didn't know MS went to that.

Being able to drag the tabs isn't some kind of moving the window stuff it's a FF feature that's been there since version 2.x. You can click anywhere on the tab and move it around - you don't have to pick some corner.

Also, I do use most things in maximize mode - I actually find I use it more on my Mac than anything since I've got Spaces and Expose to show me all the windows. (Note, I almost never move the windows but yeah, I guess that'd be an issue when trying to move the whole thing rather than just a tab). I guess my beef is with this windows on windows crap. No need to be an @ss about it...

People like you are the reason people think Apple users are @$$holes...
  • Reply 71 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

1) The feature has indeed been in Opera for a while, so?

The point is that it's presented as a new feature for browsers: "Rather than only bumping up the size of text and destroying the layout of the page, as web browsers have historically offered to do".

In the history of the browsers we know, it may be that a majority of the time, it was only text zooming that took place. But saying that anything has historically been the case within the short period in which browsers have existed implies that the change is (almost) brand new, or that its occurrences are very far and in between, and short-lived.

This feature, to the best of my knowledge, does not meet those criteria.

Quote:

2) To call it 'resolution independent' (in quotes) is merely correct, and is not necessarily "tying" it to the concept of resolution independence as an OS level feature AFAICS.

The only instances where I've read about resolution independence regarding anything OS X-related were linked to the potential move of the whole OS to resolution independence.

As the previous paragraph in the article mentions features likely to come to OS X in the future, I naturally assumed the author implied that a link between "resolution independent Safari" and "resolution independence in OS X".

By the way, in my previous post, I meant "and" instead of "so", hence the juxtaposition of two ideas that do not seem to be cause and effect.
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Zoom In, "command-+" works better on this site in particular.

Actually, AppleInsider is the very first site I have come across with Safari 4 that *doesn't* re-size properly. '

I guess the table widths are hard-coded in some way because all I end up with is a column a couple of hundred pixels wide with gigantic text in it.

• Reply 73 of 144
    As someone who has always avoided using tabs in web browsers because the tab bar wastes precious vertical screen real estate... I love the tabs on top concept!

Jim
  • Reply 74 of 144
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Actually, AppleInsider is the very first site I have come across with Safari 4 that *doesn't* re-size properly. '

I guess the table widths are hard-coded in some way because all I end up with is a column a couple of hundred pixels wide with gigantic text in it.

I can zoom in and out and re-size, no problem. Having said that, I was amazed to see that this page has more than 100 tables in it. The HTML also uses attributes such as cellspacing and padding. Legacy cms, I suppose.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    Can someone points out what font it is on the title bar? Thanks!
  • Reply 76 of 144
    I don't like the Tabs on Top. It's ugly, cluttered, and makes the ergonomics slightly worse... a lose, lose, lose situation.

By ergonomics I mean that now you have to "reach" further with the mouse pointer to get up to the tab bar than you do in Safari 3. If they would make the keyboard shortcuts for "next tab" and "previous tab" something reasonable the ergonomics might be forgivable. (In Safari 3 switching tabs requires not only hitting 3 keys at once --- command, shift and left- or right-bracket, but also doing so with your right hand that's presumably on the mouse, or at least looking down and repositioning your left hand to the right side of the keyboard -- talk about an inelegant solution.)
  • Reply 77 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I can zoom in and out and re-size, no problem. Having said that, I was amazed to see that this page has more than 100 tables in it. The HTML also uses attributes such as cellspacing and padding. Legacy cms, I suppose.

This forum doesn't support images but hopefully this cross-posting will work.

that's what I see when i use Cmd +
  • Reply 78 of 144
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Tabs on top don't bother me.

If we're to take the metaphor of tabs directly from a physical filing system we'd see that all relevant files would be in their own tab at the very top for easy viewing. I think the argument for/against tabs is simply one of preference and has little bearing beyond.

I certainly think Safari 4 certainly is a bit more space efficient and even with the avg sized monitor moving to over 20" it's still nice to have efficient UI even if that means a wee bit more clutter.
  • Reply 79 of 144
    But the default action of opening a link in a new window is driving me crazy. My default action in FF is to open links in a new tab...

Love the zippiness of S4
  • Reply 80 of 144
    And it still won't open tabs in the existing window. Why does safari continue to have this option if it doesn't work?