Apple introduces new iMacs with more affordable pricing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 322
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Just as expected. All you regulars whined and complained about no new Macs. Then they arrive, and all you can do is complain about them. Apple is not going to add better CPU's that would eat into Mac Pro sales. Double the hard drive, double the memory, and better graphics in the $1,799 model make them a fine upgrade. The previous 2.8 GHz model is now on clearance (not refurb) for $1,399. The average user will be satisfied with the 9400M graphics and a low $1,499 price tag for a 24" model, especially since MacBooks are selling like crazy. LED displays would have increased the price, and you fools would have complained about that too.
  • Reply 42 of 322
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    With the economy tanking all over the world, it is hard to make money if you drop the price in another country because it won't reflect the same revenue as the home front.
  • Reply 43 of 322
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Let's put the intangible value of OS X off the table. Let's just look at straight up hardware. Can somebody please configure a comparable machine from Dell, HP, or whoever? Make something comparable to the new iMacs, and post the specs right here. Don't talk about making your own box, I'm talking about commercially available consumer desktops. I guarantee you'll find comparable prices on hardware. THEN we can throw in the intangible value of the OS (and bundled software) and the hardware design Apple is known for.

I'm sick of people complaining about a lack of value and things being overpriced. You'd think people on this site actually knew a thing or two about Apple computers besides their sticker price.
  • Reply 44 of 322
    I guess the point is, it's a pretty lame update. A lot of people, including myself, have been waiting for a new computer from apple. For apple to expect people to fork out more money for specifications that are over a year old is an insult. Putting a Quadcore on a top end imac eat into mac pro sales? Hardly. What if it does? People who want a mac pro will still want a mac pro. 8 cores? Who wouldn't? People who can't afford a mac pro, but they may be willing to stretch their budget for a i7 quad core or something along those lines.

Furthermore, in a few months, having to upgrade to Snow Leopard, as most people will want, will add to the cost. So in this 'economic crisis' wouldn't it make some sense to bring out a real updated machine, so everybody who has been waiting will buy one? The demand seems to be there.

Not sure what I'll do now, I might just buy a Dell (and some noise canceling headphones). Never thought I would say that, I feel dirty, but then again, not as dirty as this update makes me feel.
  • Reply 45 of 322
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anonymous.Shyster View Post

I guess the point is, it's a pretty lame update. A lot of people, including myself, have been waiting for a new computer from apple. For apple to expect people to fork out more money for specifications that are over a year old is an insult. Putting a Quadcore on a top end imac eat into mac pro sales? Hardly. What if it does? People who want a mac pro will still want a mac pro.

Furthermore, in a few months, having to upgrade to Snow Leopard, as most people will want, will add to the cost. So in this 'economic crisis' wouldn't it make some sense to bring out a real updated machine, so everybody who has been waiting will buy one?

Not sure what I'll do now, I might just buy a Dell (and some noise canceling headphones). Never thought I would say that, I feel dirty, but then again, not as dirty as this update makes me feel.

Compare the all in one desktops out there. Put them against the iMac and see which is better and then complain about not liking the update.
  • Reply 46 of 322
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! PLEASE DONT BUY A DELL!!!!!

Good riddance to ya, pal. More macs for me.
  • Reply 47 of 322
    davebarnesdavebarnes Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No LED backlighting. Naughty on Apple's part.

I agree as this was their chance to "go all green". Color me disappointed.
  • Reply 48 of 322
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

NO JOBS = NO APPLES!

WHAT A HORRIBLE UPDATE!

NO LED? NO BLU RAY? WHAT IS APPLE DOING?

the price of 2199$ US is 2599$ CDN LOL

NO THANKS!

Ps The exchange rate difference is not 40%

APPLE WANTS TO HOSE CUSTOMERS!

I'd pay a 10 to 15% difference not 40% for these specs.

Umm, 2600/2200 isn't 40% - it's 18% and currently that 1.18 ratio is better than the USD vs CAD ratio of 1.286 so, technically speaking, you're getting a better deal than the US.

But yeah, they are really pushing the exchange rates with this update...
  • Reply 49 of 322
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:

I guess the point is, it's a pretty lame update. A lot of people, including myself, have been waiting for a new computer from apple. For apple to expect people to fork out more money for specifications that are over a year old is an insult. Putting a Quadcore on a top end imac eat into mac pro sales? Hardly. What if it does? People who want a mac pro will still want a mac pro. 8 cores? Who wouldn't? People who can't afford a mac pro, but they may be willing to stretch their budget for a i7 quad core or something along those lines.

Furthermore, in a few months, having to upgrade to Snow Leopard, as most people will want, will add to the cost. So in this 'economic crisis' wouldn't it make some sense to bring out a real updated machine, so everybody who has been waiting will buy one? The demand seems to be there.

the update would have been okay if they included LED displays.

I am hoping Apple fixed the gradient displays or backlighting issues.... if not they are a joke.
  • Reply 50 of 322
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Umm, 2600/2200 isn't 40% - it's 18% and currently that 1.18 ratio is better than the USD vs CAD ratio of 1.286 so, technically speaking, you're getting a better deal than the US.

But yeah, they are really pushing the exchange rates with this update...

even at 19% its a rip off.

not for these specs
  • Reply 51 of 322
    All in one desktops? Didn't know they existed, but then again, I don't know PC's.

I see a Dell with an i7 processor and a 24" display (tower) for $2000AU. I guess that's about what the new powermacs are, without a display for about $4500AU +

You want to compare, go ahead, I'm all ears....
  • Reply 52 of 322
    Quote:

not for these specs

Look at other all in one desktops then say the iMac is a rip off.
  • Reply 53 of 322
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And that is Apple's fault? Any answer but NO is asinine.

Not Apples fault at all. A company based in the US can't just go to another country and conduct business and not expect to be tax by their local government for doing business there, if they where to sell the product at the same price as the US the company will lose more money than what they make which is not a good strategy, your government tax the hell out of them and they are more than happy to pass that on to you
  • Reply 54 of 322
    plokoonpmaplokoonpma Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Listen pal, when you shell out premium money on a premium product it would be nice to have premium spec's to go with it!

I love MAC OS X, but I also enjoy games, video encoding and have a large (126gb) music library, so perhaps I do whine, however taking into consideration the almost extortionate pricing I think that we as customer have the right to complain.

So yes simply put, I expect a high performance system for my £1200, you may not, you may be happy for £500's worth of hardware in a fancy case bumped up to £1200, as for me I feel cheated, especially as I genuinely love the company and it's operating system.

You are such hypocrite, got get your AMD based clone and deal with vista, xp or hackingtosh.

LMAO, genuine Apple lover.... hahaha

This comments get better and better, this is sometimes like Star Wars Fans that only think the first 3 movies (originals) are the real thing.. and hammered George Lucas cause he made the prequels.

At the end he does as Apple what he/they think is they want.

Get over it!
  • Reply 55 of 322
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Yeah, nothing "wow" about this upgrade. The smaller keyboard is a huge drawback if you live in the AZERTY-part of the world, and I'm not sure if the 9400M is an upgrade over the Radeon HD 2600 Pro.

You can swap out the mini wired keyboard for the extended wired keyboard as a no-cost BTO change. I'd miss the full-sized arrow keys (and occasionally the keypad), so I'd go with the larger keyboard. Presumably that won't be an option if you buy at Amazon or some other reseller.
  • Reply 56 of 322
    Quote:

All in one desktops? Didn't know they existed, but then again, I don't know PC's.

I see a Dell with an i7 processor and a 24" display (tower) for $2000AU. I guess that's about what the new powermacs are, without a display for about $4500AU +

You want to compare, go ahead, I'm all ears....

All in one desktops are computer like the iMac where everything is built in one piece of the computer. Look at the HP Touchsmart, look at the Sony Vaio they don't even compare to the iMac in terms of specs.

No other desktop has the same design inside as a Mac Pro. You are paying for a server class machine with the best build in the industry. You can't find that with Dell and you aren't getting the same quality hardware. Also, the i7's are over rated and until Intel opens up support for NIVIDIA, the i7's will fail.
  • Reply 57 of 322
    So, just for the record, you are agreeing that the new star wars films sucked or not?
  • Reply 58 of 322
    Quote:

not for these specs

As I said, that's a better deal than the current exchange rate. The 19% isn't a ripoff - the $2200 is a rip off (IMO).
  • Reply 59 of 322
    Quote:

So, just for the record, you are agreeing that the new star wars films sucked or not?

The special effects were better...
  • Reply 60 of 322
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Geez...for the iMac it was a speed bump and Apple knows it.

Go to the site and who is getting equal time with the iMac? The mini. How's that for a change? (50-50 you get the new iMac banner and the new Mini banner...I haven't gotten the Mac Pro one yet).

The new mini doesn't suck any more in comparison with the iMac for most things. The iMac will get another bump when the Nahalem Clarksfield mobile quads appear. For whatever reasons Apple decided to skip the Penryn quads.