Apple intros new Mac Pro with "Nehalem" Xeon processors

Comments

• Reply 301 of 506
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Here is a benchmark I found while looking up turbo on these chips.

http://it.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=532

The new Xeon 5570 outperforms the "old" 5450 by 119%!!!

Screw! I didn't get to your post, and didn't see this. I wrote about turbo mode in mine too.

Yeah. I read that a while ago. Good article.
  • Reply 302 of 506
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

He's right. Apple could do with an ego-reality-check right now.

Why? Give me one material reason why. The industry trend is away from internal expansion cards; away from desktops; away from large machines. Laptops are now capable professional machines for many jobs that used to require top-end desktops. which means iMacs are, which means that the market for a machine that actually requires a large case is shrinking inexorably. As a product's market shrink, the profit per unit has to go up to justify continued production. But the cost of production has come down, so you can get a Mac Pro for much less in 2009 dollars than a PowerMac 9600 cost, or a PowerMac 8600, or for that matter a Mac IIfx.

If you want them to be punished for not making your cheap, headless Mac then you are going to be yelling at clouds for the next while. Right now I dare you to point to one actual metric the executives can look at and measure against industry trends that should cause them to put on sackcloth and ashes and repent their sins to Lemon Bon Bon. Because I honestly don't see any.

Quote:

A few bad quarters of slowing sales may cause them to rethink the path they are going down.

They will deserve a few bad quarters of slowing sales when they actually earn them.

By corollary, the relatively good quarters that they have actually been enjoying may cause them to affirm their current course (although I hope they're checking to make sure that there are sound and sustainable reasons for those good quarters unlike the idiots on Wall Street, but that's for another forum).

Quote:

We can postulate about what Apple deserve. But if they were complaining about Mac Pro sales before this update...then they'll have to jack the prices up even more to compenstate as their market for them shrinks.

Actually, I'm not postulating about what they "deserve." I'm looking at where they actually are (profitable, thriving, sitting on a mountain of cash), how they're doing relative to the industry (very well and improving), and concluding from there that they feel pretty comfortable with their position and feel no need to do anything radical. It's a matter of observation, not judgment.

I agree that the price for the Mac Pro will go up as the market shrinks. I agree that the market for the Mac Pro is shrinking. Apple have already solved that problem: They're shipping the machines that an increasing number of people would rather have, and people have responded by buying them in record (for Apple) quantities, even through a recession.
  • Reply 303 of 506
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    It's really going to come down to

Mac Pro Quad w/Xeon 3500 pricing

compared to

HP, Dell and other Tier1 Workstations with similar configs. I'm not too sure they're going to be at 2499 for a similar config.

Apple's used the same case for 5 years and the mobo doesn't appear to have a lot of customization.

We'll see if their pricing cuts muster or not.
  • Reply 304 of 506
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Directly spoken: I want Apple to fail to prove that I am right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon.

A few bad quarters of slowing sales may cause them to rethink the path they are going down.

• Reply 305 of 506
    mcpheemcphee Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Keep in mind these new cpu's have hyperthreading. So if you get a 2.26 you are getting 16 virtual cores. If I were you, I'd go with the new 8 core 2.26... it is going to last you much longer with snow leopard's GCD and OpenCL. Also the new cpu's offer virtualization... so better compatibility with VMWare running windows if that is a factor to you. It is to me because I have to test ie6 against web apps.

Did you retract this recommendation? 2.26, 2.66, 2.8 are the options on the table. 2.8 is too pricey right now. 2.66 represents a little increase and 2.26 is a 1K savings. What is the practical difference in performance and are there any long term (oxymoron I know) considerations for shelf life.

Thanks!
  • Reply 306 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McPHEE View Post

Did you retract this recommendation? 2.26, 2.66, 2.8 are the options on the table. 2.8 is too pricey right now. 2.66 represents a little increase and 2.26 is a 1K savings. What is the practical difference in performance and are there any long term (oxymoron I know) considerations for shelf life.

Thanks!

2.66 single cpu vs dual for the others?
  • Reply 307 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

2.66 single cpu vs dual for the others?

Can you expound? Your question leaves me questioning...
  • Reply 308 of 506
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Directly spoken: I want Apple to fail to prove that I am right.

You really think that the Mac Pro is such a big seller that they will get worried about low sales? The last generation had low sales as well.

Most people who buy the Mac Pro for business reasons, which is the bulk of the people who buy the Mac Pro, probably want Apple to go even further into the high end with the product - with SLI graphics cards, huge numbers of memory slots, faster/more expensive processors (like the xeon 5580), etc.
  • Reply 309 of 506
    Quote:

Can you expound? Your question leaves me questioning...

I followed some of the line of your questions, but I don't remember exactly right now.

Are you comparing a dual cpu 2.26 machine, and a dual cpu 2.8 machine (old), to a single cpu 2.66 machine?

Or am I missing something here?
  • Reply 310 of 506
    Quote:

I followed some of the line of your questions, but I don't remember exactly right now.

Are you comparing a dual cpu 2.26 machine, and a dual cpu 2.8 machine (old), to a single cpu 2.66 machine?

Or am I missing something here?

I currently have on order a 8-Core Mac Pro with two 3.0GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon and this is not available if I go with the state of the art. If I upgrade to 2.66 it increases my price by about $400 or if I go with the 2.26 I save $1K. Graphics card in my order is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 and this is no longer available if I upgrade. Everything else is a plus (memory drive speed, etc.) (eventually I will run 2 monitors.)

Current Apple base price offering below:

8-core Mac Pro ($3,299):

two 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processors with 8MB of shared L3 cache

6GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory, expandable up to 32GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm

18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)

Mini DisplayPort and DVI (dual-link) for video output (adapters sold separately)

four PCI Express 2.0 slots

five USB 2.0 ports and four FireWire 800 ports

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

Ships with Apple Keyboard with numerical keypad and Mighty Mouse
  • Reply 311 of 506
    Quote:

I currently have on order a 8-Core Mac Pro with two 3.0GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon and this is not available if I go with the state of the art. If I upgrade to 2.66 it increases my price by about $400 or if I go with the 2.26 I save $1K. Graphics card in my order is NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512 and this is no longer available if I upgrade. Everything else is a plus (memory drive speed, etc.) (eventually I will run 2 monitors.)

Current Apple base price offering below:

8-core Mac Pro ($3,299):

two 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 5500 series processors with 8MB of shared L3 cache

6GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM memory, expandable up to 32GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 graphics with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

640GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive running at 7200 rpm

18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+/-R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW)

Mini DisplayPort and DVI (dual-link) for video output (adapters sold separately)

four PCI Express 2.0 slots

five USB 2.0 ports and four FireWire 800 ports

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR

Ships with Apple Keyboard with numerical keypad and Mighty Mouse

Ok. I get it now.

For me, the sweet spot is the dual 2.66 model with the 4870 card, which is a pretty damn good card, and much better than the 8800 series from Nvidia, which is why I ordered that.

I don't know what you're doing with the machine, so it's difficult to know what's most important to you.

If you're not doing much 3D graphics work on big models, then the 120 card will be fine. Of course, OS 10.6 will leverage that graphics card more than ever before, so the best card will get you more processing power. A slower machine may even, on certain apps, be more powerful than a faster machine, because those apps may better leverage that faster board in 10.6 and beyond. he older 3.0 GHz machine could also use that 4870 board. It would then help its performance later on. You can add this board later, and still use the 120 in another slot.

My feeling though is that Nehalem offers much upside as time goes on.

One area that's interesting is that being at the very beginning of the curve, the chips, which likely will be replaceable, as they are in the older machines, are the slowest that Intel will be offering during the current "Tock". When 32 nm arrives next year, they can be popped out (more easily hopefully, than in the older machines, as it appears), and newer, faster 6 core (and possibly 8 core as some hints from Intel lately have been giving us (no, not Becton) chips can be put in.

Also, the older machines have two Express bus 2 slots and two Express 1 slots. The new machine has four Express 2 slots. Two of those are 16 electrical lanes. The older only had one 16 lane slot.

Hyperthreading, for well threaded apps, has been shown to give a 10 to 30% boost in processing.

Money can be tight right now, so it's a tough decision I know.
  • Reply 312 of 506
    Quote:

For me, the sweet spot is the dual 2.66 model with the 4870 card, which is a pretty damn good card, and much better than the 8800 series from Nvidia, which is why I ordered that.

I ordered the 4870 upgrade card for my last-gen mac pro. I think it will be quite nice - do you know if the 8800 and 4870 can both be in there at the same time?
  • Reply 313 of 506
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's really going to come down to

Mac Pro Quad w/Xeon 3500 pricing

compared to

HP, Dell and other Tier1 Workstations with similar configs. I'm not too sure they're going to be at 2499 for a similar config.

Apple's used the same case for 5 years and the mobo doesn't appear to have a lot of customization.

We'll see if their pricing cuts muster or not.

Current single CPU workstations from HP and Dell based around a core 2 duo and the x38/48 aren't priced much higher than desktop systems, so I would expect the Quad core Mac Pro to be significantly more expensive than the competition.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

You really think that the Mac Pro is such a big seller that they will get worried about low sales? The last generation had low sales as well.

Not too long ago the PowerMac was one of Apple's better selling models. Then again, you could afford one without a Hollywood budget.
  • Reply 314 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Current single CPU workstations from HP and Dell based around a core 2 duo and the x38/48 aren't priced much higher than desktop systems, so I would expect the Quad core Mac Pro to be significantly more expensive than the competition.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...c=MLB141&s=biz

are you looking at some different page than I am? These last-gen xeon prices look higher than Apple's last-gen Mac Pro prices.
  • Reply 315 of 506
    Quote:

I ordered the 4870 upgrade card for my last-gen mac pro. I think it will be quite nice - do you know if the 8800 and 4870 can both be in there at the same time?

If the card is from the 2008 model, I don't see why not. Earlier models, likely not, but maybe. Yeah, I know, that's not me, being so equivocal and all.
  • Reply 316 of 506
    Quote:

If the card is from the 2008 model, I don't see why not. Earlier models, likely not, but maybe. Yeah, I know, that's not me, being so equivocal and all.

Yeah - my machine/card is the same as the one McPhee is ordering - the 8x3GHz from last summer.
  • Reply 317 of 506
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...c=MLB141&s=biz

are you looking at some different page than I am? These last-gen xeon prices look higher than Apple's last-gen Mac Pro prices.

Those are the 5000-series dual socket machines, the same class as the 8-core. Price the Precision T3400.
  • Reply 318 of 506
    Quote:

Ok. I get it now.

I don't know what you're doing with the machine, so it's difficult to know what's most important to you.

If you're not doing much 3D graphics work on big models, then the 120 card will be fine. Of course, OS 10.6 will leverage that graphics card more than ever before, so the best card will get you more processing power. A slower machine may even, on certain apps, be more powerful than a faster machine, because those apps may better leverage that faster board in 10.6 and beyond. he older 3.0 GHz machine could also use that 4870 board. It would then help its performance later on. You can add this board later, and still use the 120 in another slot.

Thank you for your perspective. I talked with the Apple store rep that helped me spec the machine. He does the same kind of work I do so his perspective on the contrast of systems was valuable to me. Given the cost savings ($1000) I went with the 2.26 processor confident it will outperform the one I had on order. I will be doing a ton of Photoshop, Flash, AfterEffects Final Cut, InDesign, etc. and some 3D sculpting/character development but not likely fully rendered modeling. I up my graphics card to 4870 and will be up my ram to 8G after it arrives. Everything else is a plus and I saved $700 on my original order. This should be a better foundation than the one I first ordered.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 319 of 506
    Quote:

Yeah - my machine/card is the same as the one McPhee is ordering - the 8x3GHz from last summer.

Then it should be fine.
  • Reply 320 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Those are the 5000-series dual socket machines, the same class as the 8-core. Price the Precision T3400.

The Precision T3400 is a Core2Duo machine. Why do you care that it is less expensive than a Xeon machine? If Apple made a machine like the T3400, it would also be cheaper than the Mac Pro.