Benchmarks of 2009 iMacs, Mac minis show negligible speed-ups

1789101113»

Comments

• Reply 241 of 246
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It works faster in a number of apps besides Motion. From my own experience, it's faster in Archicad as well.

Since many pro apps use Core Image, yes, poor performance is important. As many 3D pro apps use Core Image, its important for them.

Even after the patch, it was still no better. Worse in some tests still. Not a good buy for pro users.

We have one set of tests here:

http://www.barefeats.com/harper10.html

The later ones here.

http://www.barefeats.com/imp04.html

As Barefeats said, it would be better to buy the 3870 than the 8800GT for faster performance, and the 2600 Pro would still be equal.

That was 10.5.3. We're at 10.5.6 and the Motion 3 performance for the 9400M is 1.4x as fast as with the 2400XT so nVidia OSX drivers appear good now. And as noted above, ATI just hosed up their OpenGL 3.0 support in their latest drivers.

Quote:

A more modern ATI card such as the 4870 still is much better than the currently best Nvidia for this purpose. Far better than a mid Nvidia.

Unless you have current benchmarks for the 4870 1GB vs GTX 260/216 you can't say that for sure. Especially with the current state of the Catalyst drivers.
  • Reply 242 of 246
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

That was 10.5.3. We're at 10.5.6 and the Motion 3 performance for the 9400M is 1.4x as fast as with the 2400XT so nVidia OSX drivers appear good now. And as noted above, ATI just hosed up their OpenGL 3.0 support in their latest drivers.

Unless you have current benchmarks for the 4870 1GB vs GTX 260/216 you can't say that for sure. Especially with the current state of the Catalyst drivers.

I agree that driver support gets screwed u with everyone. but, as you have shown, thats a temporary situation, and can't be used to evaluate the boards themselves over the long term.

I don't have any tests for the 260/216 yet. I'm just going by what I've read on the sites that check these boards. I'm sure we'll see tests soon.
  • Reply 243 of 246
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Macworld: Benchmarks: New Mac minis http://www.macworld.com/article/1392...mini_2009.html

Thanks for posting this. I'm betting the iMacs and new Mac Pros will see a similar improvement (for similarly priced models) when MacWorld posts their benchmarks.

Not that that will shut any of the doom-and-gloomers who want to bitch about clock speed.
  • Reply 244 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Thanks for posting this. I'm betting the iMacs and new Mac Pros will see a similar improvement (for similarly priced models) when MacWorld posts their benchmarks.

Not that that will shut any of the doom-and-gloomers who want to bitch about clock speed.

I'm hoping for a bigger improvement from my Mac Pro, which Apple has JUST informed me has been shipped!
  • Reply 245 of 246
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Mostly we're bitching about the pricing with regards to the Mac Mini and iMacs
  • Reply 246 of 246
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Mostly we're bitching about the pricing with regards to the Mac Mini and iMacs

People are also bitching about the Mac Pro price.