Apple unveils redesigned iPod shuffle with speech technology

Comments

• Reply 101 of 341
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

let me get this right- You have a playlist that you made and still need to know what song you're listening too?

Nope. Not when I am at the gym or bike riding. I have a playlist for the Shuffle so I don't need to know the name of the song playing. Remember, Apple did this with the Nano to add "Universal" access.
  • Reply 102 of 341
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgbfoundry View Post

Thanks to really crappy headphones that hurt to wear, people will flock to buy third party headphones with integrated controls on them.

Or buy adapters and use their existing headphones?

But iPods have always been like that: they've always included crap headphones. And, really, since when have you ever bought a portable CD player that had a set of GREAT headphones with them? I've never, ever, ever used the stock headphones that came with a portable music player.
  • Reply 103 of 341
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    The 2nd Gen Shuffle was great in my car with a cassette adapter. And now?
  • Reply 104 of 341
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Nope. Not when I am at the gym or bike riding. I have a playlist for the Shuffle so I don't need to know the name of the song playing. Remember, Apple did this with the Nano to add "Universal" access.

So again- this is an unecessary update. Improve the sound quality back to where it was on the 1G shuffle. That's all that's was needed, if anything.
  • Reply 105 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Buy new ones! Keep the economy rolling!!
  • Reply 106 of 341
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:

let me get this right- You have a playlist that you made and still need to know what song you're listening too?

I think it will be more useful for knowing which of the multiple playlists you're selecting. That's the one enticing feature about this thing to me: multiple playlists.

Navigating 1GB of music on my old Shuffle (since bequeathed to my girlfriend) was enough of a pain; I can't imagine dealing with up to 4GB of music without multiple playlists.
  • Reply 107 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgbfoundry View Post

Thanks to really crappy headphones that hurt to wear, people will flock to buy third party headphones with integrated controls on them. Since those will, of course, be made for the iPod, the manufacturer has to pay Apple's "Made for iPod" accessory marketing fees.

No we'll have at least 30 headphone makers paying into a fee system to replace apple's poor accessory. Now THAT's a business model!

are you a hurt headphone maker?

you know, if anything, this gives more 3rd parties incentive to make adapters... bet on that

they'll make MORE money by selling adapters for their headphones, or just NEW headphones with the controls.

everything has licensing fees... get over it.

if you were Apple, you'd want to make money - hence capitalism - and if you were a headphone maker, you'd probably make sure your stuff would work on an iPod before spending money on said fee. QC

and have you read ANY of the posts after mine, or do you get so far and make a comment.
  • Reply 108 of 341
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I think it will be more useful for knowing which of the multiple playlists you're selecting. That's the one enticing feature about this thing to me: multiple playlists.

Navigating 1GB of music on my old Shuffle (since bequeathed to my girlfriend) was enough of a pain; I can't imagine dealing with up to 4GB of music without multiple playlists.

I'd like it for the names of podcast episodes. That can be a pain on the old shuffle.
  • Reply 109 of 341
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Keep it - no change - still great.

Are AI forum frequenters having a bad morning? I have never read so much bitching about nothing for a long time. Or are you guys just genetically pre-disposed to see the negative with any given situation?
  • Reply 110 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's a shuffle. - that's what the shuffle feature is for.

Multiple playlists in a gym device would be great if you're:

1.) Training for a marathon- and in that case headphones would probably start to annoy anyway.

2.) You have ADD.
  • Reply 111 of 341
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They did the raise the price by $10.

It's only $10 more in the US? Shit, it doubled in price here.
  • Reply 112 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Are AI forum frequenters having a bad morning? I have never read so much bitching about nothing for a long time. Or are you guys just genetically pre-disposed to see the negative with any given situation?

Not necessarily- but it would be nice if you had added what's so positve about this unecessary shuffle update.
  • Reply 113 of 341
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I don't understand all the negative nellies bitching about the fact that you can't use non-Apple headphones with the new shuffle.

In the first case you probably can, it just won't have any volume and track controls as those are patented by Apple. Secondly, any headphones you can get that aren't Apple headphones, especially those that are of the same quality or higher, are going to cost you double the cost of the player itself.

What the heck are you buying the cheapest, lowest capacity player on the market for if you are some kind of audiophile that is too good to wear standard earbuds? Are you serious? And why should Apple twist themselves double trying to make such a tiny tiny fragment of an already tiny market segment happy?

Your kidding about the cost thing right? Audiophiles would definately pay through the nose for the best headphones available period without apology.
  • Reply 114 of 341
    Quote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's a shuffle. - that's what the shuffle feature is for.

Multiple playlists in a gym device would be great if you're:

1.) Training for a marathon- and in that case headphones would probably start to annoy anyway.

2.) You have ATD.

Or you're like me if you like several genre's of music and like to switch it up on different workout days.

None of my hip hop sounds good with my rock, or my jazz, or my trance/dance

I have SEVERAL playlists dedicated to specific genres, not including the Genius PLs
  • Reply 115 of 341
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

The increase in whining is in direct proportion to Apple making some seriously stupid product decisions of late.
  • Reply 116 of 341
    Well, I've decided that this is not for me.

Even with an adapter, that only means increased cord length or a clumsy connection. One of the reasons I love my third party headphones (besides the fact that I can't stand non-in ear buds) is the short cable. Even if an adapter comes on to the market without a cable, once you've added an adapter to the Shuffle, it's no longer so small or elegant.

I'll stick with my 2nd Gen.
  • Reply 117 of 341
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, I've decided that this is not for me.

Even with an adapter, that only means increased cord length or a clumsy connection. One of the reasons I love my third party headphones (besides the fact that I can't stand non-in ear buds) is the short cable. Even if an adapter comes on to the market without a cable, once you've added an adapter to the Shuffle, it's no longer so small or elegant.

I'll stick with my 2nd Gen.

Then lets hope they come out with more Headphones with Volume control + Playback control and avoid the adapter option

I need a new set of headphones anyways... I can wait
  • Reply 118 of 341
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    I don't think anyone needs "audiophile" quality at the GYM, especially when most were happy when all you had was a Sony Walkman playing tapes at the gym in the past. It is a $79 player, use it for what it is, and then enjoy your high end stereo at home.
  • Reply 119 of 341
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

I don't think anyone needs "audiophile" quality at the GYM, especially when most were happy when all you had was a Sony Walkman playing tapes at the gym in the past. It is a $79 player, use it for what it is, and then enjoy your high end stereo at home.

Well I'm not wearing stupid "look at me" white earbuds period. I guess the product is not for me unless 3rd parties come out with compatible earphones. And even if they do we are still talking about a limited selection here.

The talk back feature is nice.....but not that nice.
  • Reply 120 of 341
    Quote:

Good point

But I assume these people already have these 3rd-party headphones (whether great quality or not) and don't like the std apple headphone b/c of the fit, not the quality

I don't understand using expensive Headphones at the gym, either...

wouldn't sweat mess them up? You know how many times my g/f's headphone cord got caught on an elliptical machine arm? That's dangerous for a $80+ set of headphones.

I understand the problem, but like I said earlier, I am not a "headphone" guy, so I don't understand the comfort problem with the std ones. I used them before, and didn't feel anything painful.