Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product

Comments

• Reply 221 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And why would that make you skeptical? That would be a reason to believe it. Going in to a store and seeing one of these, no matter the price, you'd walk out wanting and saving.

I'm skeptical that Apple would bother to launch a tablet that is OS X-oriented but has the touchscreen interface bolted on - they just don't do that me-too style of product development.

It's more likely they'll use iPhone OS, which, while really cool, is not scale-able up to a fully-featured tablet.

(The odds they'll have a 3rd OS for a tablet is nil.)

Hence, if (a big if) Apple is to get into the tablet game, it will be something bulked up from the iPhone, not slimmed down from a laptop. So, I don't expect to see a 10" device of any type at all. Something in the 5 - 7" screen, possibly. But even then, I'm skeptical.
  • Reply 222 of 243
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunchable Food Product View Post

I'm skeptical that Apple would bother to launch a tablet that is OS X-oriented but has the touchscreen interface bolted on - they just don't do that me-too style of product development.

What are you smoking? Sounds like you're repeating someone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunchable Food Product

It's more likely they'll use iPhone OS, which, while really cool, is not scale-able up to a fully-featured tablet.

Where did you get this from?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lunchable Food Product

Huh?
  • Reply 223 of 243
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Now I haven't seen a ten inch Apple tablet but for the most part I'd have to agree that it won't do as a notebook replacement. Or for that matter run Mac OS/X that well.

Quote:

I'm not sure where this thought comes from. Touch in Mac OS/X could be very useful. That is in the right context, it however can't replace traditional interfaces.

Besides Apple is leading the way with Touch so it wouldn't be a me to product.

Quote:

Where did this scalability thing come from? IPhone OS can easily transfer to devices with alternative screen sizes. Spend a little time with the SDK and you will quickly realize that iPhone OS is incredible rich and was obviously designed for more than iPhones.

Quote:

That is certainly true. However they could easily expose additional capabilities, such as multitasking for user apps.

Quote:

Hence, if (a big if) Apple is to get into the tablet game, it will be something bulked up from the iPhone, not slimmed down from a laptop. So, I don't expect to see a 10" device of any type at all. Something in the 5 - 7" screen, possibly. But even then, I'm skeptical.

Well at least our desires are the same. At ten inches you might as well make a clam shell notebook. Something in that 5 to 7 inch range though would be in a unique category. Unique however isn't as important as portability, something a ten inch device would fail miserably at.

Dave
  • Reply 224 of 243
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Now I haven't seen a ten inch Apple tablet but for the most part I'd have to agree that it won't do as a notebook replacement. Or for that matter run Mac OS/X that well.

I agree it wouldn't be a great size for a full notebook replacement. But a machine that size cold handle A LOT of previously notebook was the only option tasks for a mere fraction of the weight/footprint. I don't agree that O X wouldn't run well though. That is far more of a memory and drive architecture issue than a size issue given Intel and ARMs latest offerings.
  • Reply 225 of 243
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

To be fair both devices will serve different purposes. And the Kindle will have about 4x times the battery-life of this thing.

And has a free wireless network. Can't see that from Cupertino.
  • Reply 226 of 243
    In reply to various questions:

There are already 2 OS's - iPhone OS and OS X. Apple is unlikely to develop a 'tablet OS'. Hence this alleged tablet will run either OS X or iPhone OS.

iPhone OS is specifically designed to the small screen. Merely blowing up the OS X to a 10" screen will not 'scale' as a user interface. And since most people expect a full-OS (or near-full) experience with a tablet, it's likely they would choose OS X. Except OS X, in it's current form, is still a keyboard and mouse OS. A touch interface is an interesting idea and of course, it's likely that the world is moving in that direction over time, but for now, a computer with OS X is a keyboard and mouse computer, and I doubt that Apple will jump on a netbook-style implementation, or even a flip-over screen tablet style implementation.

I just don't see how utilzing Apple's existing resources and their aversion to follow-the-bandwagon product development, how the likelihood of anything in the range of a 10" tablet or netbook is anything higher than "darn unlikely."
  • Reply 227 of 243
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    You are assuming that the fill in the whole screen aspect of the iPhone is a hard requirement, rather than a single window limitation where the window IS the screen in iPhone OS. Thus you could do iPhone like multi-touch gestures on a per-window basis if you scale the OS up. Or add multi touch in a much more direct manner to existing OS X windows if you scale down.

There is a happy medium which does require some effort to implement, but I don't see that level of effort as a deal breaker.
  • Reply 228 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

You are assuming that the fill in the whole screen aspect of the iPhone is a hard requirement, rather than a single window limitation where the window IS the screen in iPhone OS. Thus you could do iPhone like multi-touch gestures on a per-window basis if you scale the OS up. Or add multi touch in a much more direct manner to existing OS X windows if you scale down.

There is a happy medium which does require some effort to implement, but I don't see that level of effort as a deal breaker.

I don't think the effort is insurmountable, only that it is unlikely for some mythical 10" Apple product.
  • Reply 229 of 243
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

In reply to various questions:

There are already 2 OS's - iPhone OS and OS X. Apple is unlikely to develop a 'tablet OS'. Hence this alleged tablet will run either OS X or iPhone OS.

Apple will develop a tablet OS, hence an Apple tablet the competition cannot dare to match. No half measures here. It's about redesigning the whole of OS X, rethinking it for the finger - not the middle one. The core will be OS X, but the whole user-interface will be completely rethought from the ground up. S'obvious.
  • Reply 230 of 243
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    can anyone give an estimation as to iphone w/ oled vs current iphone battery life

but aren't the oled screen susceptible to moiture or have they fixed that

also i see the life span of the screen for a phone (iphone) not as big as a concern as for a "netbook" since a phone is kept shorter period of time

it would allow thinner, but right now i'd go for same thickness and MORE BATTERY life.

is there a way to test this, say with nokia , samsung similar phone with and without oled??
  • Reply 231 of 243
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

can anyone give an estimation as to iphone w/ oled vs current iphone battery life

but aren't the oled screen susceptible to moiture or have they fixed that

also i see the life span of the screen for a phone (iphone) not as big as a concern as for a "netbook" since a phone is kept shorter period of time

it would allow thinner, but right now i'd go for same thickness and MORE BATTERY life.

is there a way to test this, say with nokia , samsung similar phone with and without oled??

I dunno I would like to know too. I would like to know the battery life differences between regular lcd vs an oled for real.

As for moisture and such I believe the plastic of oled should be very much durable.

Look, all I know is I do NOT want that macbook mini mockup that has been making the rounds.
  • Reply 232 of 243
    I think a turbo charged iPhone 10 inch netbook/tablet will do just fine.

After using an iPhone and iPod Touch? I can definitely see the need for it if you are browsing the net on your sofa.

On the move? Then a Touch or iPhone makes more sense.

Netbook 10 inch or turbo iPod/iPhone? (An iPhone tablet for business?)

We'll see. We may even get both?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 233 of 243
    For me, it's when. Not if.

I know it's not going to have Nehalem in it.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 234 of 243
    I just got a mac book from this website. I really thought it was a scam but i got it. All u have to do is complete one free offer. I suggest the jamster one (type in cell get text put in pin). Then refer 18 friend or how ever many you need for that laptop. [url]http://www.notebooks4free.com/default.aspx?r=1333136:smok ey::
  • Reply 235 of 243
  • Reply 236 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodballer View Post

http://www.notebooks4free.com/default.aspx?r=1333136

link for free macbook

What the hell does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

Please stop spamming.
  • Reply 237 of 243
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    2 posts and how many are spam

ban him
  • Reply 238 of 243

This is a little off topic but Yeah, sorry if its a little big
  • Reply 239 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomasthetug View Post

This is a little off topic but Yeah, sorry if its a little big

Thats not bad actually.

Did you make it? If so try making it about 10" and try to make it suggest at least that it can fold in half because of a flexible screen.
  • Reply 240 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Thats not bad actually.

Did you make it? If so try making it about 10" and try to make it suggest at least that it can fold in half because of a flexible screen.

i got it from somewhere special No one would believe me if i said