Apple orders 10-inch touchscreens for mystery product

Comments

• Reply 161 of 243
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'm not hinting. I'm saying you did it in the past. You posted a mockup without attribution for "discussion" and I called you on it with a link to the original mockup. It was no different than your other mockups you put up for "discussion" except it was a much better job.

You'll have to explain this to me better, with links perhaps; when did I steal someone's idea? And since when it posting a mockup someone else made stealing? Please find me this thread. I'm interested in following this up.
  • Reply 162 of 243
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

That mockup shows an innate lack of ergonomics. Who in the hell wants a glide pad above their keyboard knowing damn well the wrist will displaced vertically and compress the keys below the pad?

Moronic design.

Is that a glidepad or a LCD? I guess it's a glidepad and yes, it's a dumb place for it. The point however, is that a REAL mockup (even a bad one) is more than a single view of a enlarged iPhone with a desktop photoshopped in.

Quote:

Secondly, what's the point of reversing the lid [> 180 degrees of kinematic rotation] just to have the place where the keyboard is normally embedded be replaced and now the basic bottom for this system to rest?

Probably because the remaining weight of the base is too low to keep it from tipping over at that angle.

Quote:

Buy a laptop. It's compact, all-in-one.

Or a convertible tablet.

Quote:

The point of a Tablet would be to have an ability to dock into a stand and use an external keyboard/mouse when you are at a station/table and then remove from the dock with a touch screen approach when you are holding it in your hand/inside a day planner.

Except that this fails when you are on travel. A tablet like the one from Always Innovating is better and one I've described before. Having a C2D in the keyboard/base and a ARM in the LCD might work out.

Otherwise a convertible tablet is fine because, heck, it's not like a keyboard is THAT heavy or that thick.
  • Reply 163 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You'll have to explain this to me better, with links perhaps; when did I steal someone's idea? And since when it posting a mockup someone else made stealing? Please find me this thread. I'm interested in following this up.

My search-fu failed me however I did find this:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79557

I mentioned your other prior postings of other's mockups without attribution* in this old thread but didn't provide links. However, in this case, you started a new thread to hide the prior discussion (and mockup) on yet another thread you started in order to get your mockup on digg without the benefit of showing how someone else made the original mockup that you re-did slightly.

As shown, this other poster was first to discuss the "use iTunes look and feel" meme that you picked up on and then cut him out of the picture entirely. No link to the prior thread. No mention of the other mockup or discussions. Just "Hey, here's my idea...Digg me".

--

* from memory it was along the lines of picture of pretty mockup followed by a one liner "Discuss!" thing without a link to the original source or mention that it wasn't yours. From what I write, however, I guess I didn't call you on it then and misremember that part. Perhaps only in this thread where it was more blatant do I mention it to you.
  • Reply 164 of 243
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    I'm surprised you guys didn't pick up on this article yet. If true it would be just as I suspected.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Of...blets/N7G3R8C9

*whispers* Mactouch.......we await thee.
  • Reply 165 of 243
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

I'm surprised you guys didn't pick up on this article yet. If true it would be just as I suspected.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home_Of...blets/N7G3R8C9

*whispers* Mactouch.......we await thee.

That would be classic Apple.

A $2000 netbook.
  • Reply 166 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That would be classic Apple.

A $2000 netbook.

Isn't that the MBA?

Alas a 10" purely touch device is not all that interesting for me. Too big to fit in a big pocket. Too limited to want to carry around to replace a netbook with keyboard.
  • Reply 167 of 243
    Quote:

Isn't that the MBA?

Alas a 10" purely touch device is not all that interesting for me. Too big to fit in a big pocket. Too limited to want to carry around to replace a netbook with keyboard.

Lord you gave them eyes but yet they do not see!

Did you not read the article from my link? OLED flexible display!!!!!!!! Now do I have to imagine the possibilities for you or do you think you can do that yourself?
  • Reply 168 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Lord you gave them eyes but yet they do not see!

Did you not read the article from my link? OLED flexible display!!!!!!!! Now do I have to imagine the possibilities for you or do you think you can do that yourself?

Ah yes, I glossed over that since...well...I don't believe it will be a flexible oled in 2009 and the 10" panels in the rumors weren't them if I recall correctly. Didn't think it was worth the mention given that the prototypes for folding OLEDs only just appeared at FPD 2008 and Sony's CES one is much smaller than 10".

If they had said that Apple were in discussions with samsung you might have a vague hope. Sony sure as hell aren't going to sell any of theirs to Apple before they use them in their own high-end competing product.

But sure, Apple is exploring flexible OLED just like all the other big players. If we see such a product in 2009 from Apple I will publicly bow down to you. Heck, from anyone. I don't think anyone has a product (for consumers and not military users) slated to launch in 2009.
  • Reply 169 of 243
    Quote:

Ah yes, I glossed over that since...well...I don't believe it will be a flexible oled in 2009 and the 10" panels in the rumors weren't them if I recall correctly. Didn't think it was worth the mention given that the prototypes for folding OLEDs only just appeared at FPD 2008 and Sony's CES one is much smaller than 10".

If they had said that Apple were in discussions with samsung you might have a vague hope. Sony sure as hell aren't going to sell any of theirs to Apple before they use them in their own high-end competing product.

But sure, Apple is exploring flexible OLED just like all the other big players. If we see such a product in 2009 from Apple I will publicly bow down to you. Heck, from anyone. I don't think anyone has a product (for consumers and not military users) slated to launch in 2009.

Oh, I'm not saying that it is going to happen for sure of course. But at the same time I think the atmosphere now is almost just like it was months before the 2007 iphone debut. In 2006 would you had believed it if someone described what the iphone was going to be like? I bet you would have given it a slim chance too.
  • Reply 170 of 243
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

…tablet like the one from Always Innovating…

…C2D in the keyboard/base and a ARM in the LCD…

I love the Always Innovating concept, but I don't like the way the screen & keyboard connect…

I would think Apple could do better!

And I think the idea of of an ARM CPU in the LCD portion and an Intel C2D in the keyboard portion might be a viable one. Might be a way to bring the tablet to the masses at a reasonable price point, yet allow more horsepower/storage/battery (oh, and a physical keyboard…) as an add-on module; those who can afford it would purchase alongside with the tablet, and those who cannot might add the keyboard module down the road…
  • Reply 171 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I love the Always Innovating concept, but I don't like the way the screen & keyboard connect?

It looks ridged enough to not feel flimsy in notebook mode. I dunno, how would you do it?

It is more elegant than the motion computing desktop dock and a heck of a LOT more stable than their mobile keyboard connection.
  • Reply 172 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

I mentioned your other prior postings of other's mockups without attribution* in this old thread but didn't provide links. However, in this case, you started a new thread to hide the prior discussion (and mockup) on yet another thread you started in order to get your mockup on digg without the benefit of showing how someone else made the original mockup that you re-did slightly.

Subjective. And slightly paranoid, "to hide the prior thread"? That's simply your view, and very doubtful I'd ever try to start a new thread to *hide* another thread. No way, I'm sorry you're way off base there. Perhaps I thought his design was all wrong, I can't recall. Jesus man, you went way back there to try to prove a point. You may need a hobby or something.

Quote:

As shown, this other poster was first to discuss the "use iTunes look and feel" meme that you picked up on and then cut him out of the picture entirely. No link to the prior thread. No mention of the other mockup or discussions. Just "Hey, here's my idea...Digg me".

Ok.

Quote:

from memory it was along the lines of picture of pretty mockup followed by a one liner "Discuss!" thing without a link to the original source or mention that it wasn't yours. From what I write, however, I guess I didn't call you on it then and misremember that part. Perhaps only in this thread where it was more blatant do I mention it to you.

What is blatant? What?
  • Reply 173 of 243
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Isn't that the MBA?

You got me there.
  • Reply 174 of 243
    mrjoec writes:

I'm still trying to figure out what problem the netbook solves, anyway. can't run Photoshop or Final Cut effectively? What does this give me that I don't already have?

I will be using one of these guys for coding. I am excited about what ever multitouch screen technology they come up with because it will give me a more fluid interface with the tools that I use. I am imagining a keyboard where the keys respond to different syntax environments. I guess it would be like setting up custom keymaps but with a device with no boundaries on the position and size of the keys it seems like this process would be more intuitive.

I thought they were doing this in the iPhone/iTouch. I heard something about their predictive text being really good, something about picking up which mistakes you make most...but then I remembered I bought the thing when I was stoned.

People are calling these things netbooks - so it is something that is tailored for web browsing. That may seem like a trivial statement, but the web is evolving so quickly in terms of what is going online and what people are doing online, it makes sense to have a device that is specialized for web browsing. Its function will be to help people navigate the virtually endless supply of information available online. This information is largly unstructured, I'd say most people only take the structure that Google gives them Maybe a specialized device will help to structure the individual experience of online information foraging.

Think about it, what if we could 'touch the internet'? What if the search engine showed little strands of information feeds tailored to your search history and query? They would be floating on the screen looking like one of those static orbs. You would just flick the un-interesting ones out of the way and stick on the good ones. The ones that you singled out would become the full pages that we are used to.

Maybe it would be like looking at a bunch of nerve endings.

Anyway, I think pushing the interface domain is a good idea... just as long as we don't have to plug anything in ala Matrix.
  • Reply 175 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sameb112 View Post

mrjoec writes:

I'm still trying to figure out what problem the netbook solves, anyway. can't run Photoshop or Final Cut effectively? What does this give me that I don't already have?

What is gives folks is a 7 - 10" screen to browse the web and read their e-mail. What's bad it that it gives it to them pretty slowly, and if you take a 7" screen some of the dialog boxes (if you want text to be a readable size) cannot fit on the screen, at least in my experiences. So in that sense you end up with something that's good in theory (for most people), but in practice fails the test.

PS and FC would not be an a-typical computer user.
  • Reply 176 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sameb112 View Post

mrjoec writes:

I will be using one of these guys for coding.

And it runs ms office just fine. Along with quicken and taxcut. Heck it even runs photoshop okay so an Atom/Ion based netbook should handle iLife okay.

A 10" netbook is an effective notebook replacement for many folks. Perhaps too effective from Apple's point of view.
  • Reply 177 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What is gives folks is a 7 - 10" screen to browse the web and read their e-mail. What's bad it that it gives it to them pretty slowly, and if you take a 7" screen some of the dialog boxes (if you want text to be a readable size) cannot fit on the screen, at least in my experiences. So in that sense you end up with something that's good in theory (for most people), but in practice fails the test.

Do you have a netbook? No? Because frankly it surfs and does outlook just fine. A 10" netbook is currently a little short but that will be solved when the higher rez panels becomes more common on the 10" netbooks. These should be common by summer/fall of this year (the Dell Mini 10" and a couple other 10" models will get their higer rez versions out by then).

Next rev, most of the 10" netbooks should have keyboards comparable to the current Samsung keyboard which is best in class at the moment. And with Ion and a speed bump the graphics performance is a little better.
  • Reply 178 of 243
    Quote:

Do you have a netbook? No?

Having one for about 2 weeks is having one. So you can take you "no?" and shove it.

Yes, YMMV, and not all netbooks are the same. Don't expect a netbook to be regular machine, useless speed is important to you.
  • Reply 179 of 243
    p_fernp_fern Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I might start making teleportation machines, then in 20 years when apple 'copies' my idea, I can tell everyone Apple never innovates and stole my idea.

Does it matter that my teleportation machine consists of nothing more than a cardboard box? No, according to some on this forum.

Go away, Mr. Troll.
  • Reply 180 of 243
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Yes, it's true that Steve might not do this because of design reasons. On the other hand, a 10" multitouch tablet is kind of a so-so device. Too big to be handy as a MID, too small for tablet use. Especially without a stylus for drawing or writing.

I would expect that the smaller 7-8" size to be better and that was the earlier rumor.

That depends on how the 10" is implemented, which drove my later argument.

Quote:

This [Fitt's Law doesn't apply to touch interfaces] is incorrect.

You're right, I got sloppy and grossly overstated. What I meant was, there are no infinitely large surfaces on a touch interface, the way the menu bar is infinite on a Mac.

Quote:

Both are technically OSX with Cocoa. What you're asking is whether the MAC WIMP UI will be used in a tablet device or the iPhone's limited multitouch UI will be used.

No, actually, I'm asking about the platforms and the expectations that go along with them. If it's a Mac you expect to run Mac software on it. There's a long legacy there and a set of expectations that drive both the operating system and, more important to my argument here, the hardware it runs on. The interface is another concern, because Mac applications don't expect to be poked with fingers, but I consider that a solvable problem. The iPhone also has a legacy and a set of expectations, but they're much easier to satisfy in a tablet.

My argument is that it's easier to scale the iPhone platform up than to scale the Mac platform down, and the main reason for that is that there is a minimum level of resource availability expected of Mac hardware that becomes extremely hard to satisfy when you're building a handheld device.

Quote:

The answer is probably a combination of both. MS's tablet edition with onenote is an example of a so-so hybrid implementation. Desktop with tablet support.

This, along with a further fragmentation of application development, is why I'm somewhat leery of a hybrid implementation. But again, if we're expanding out a platform, the iPhone is a simpler proposition: It's already resolution independent, simple and uncluttered, and 100% Cocoa, which it makes it easy for Apple to add behaviors and for developers to incorporate them when necessary.

Quote:

Perhaps. But I put the odds of a 10" slate tablet to be low and a 10" convertible to be low but slightly higher than a slate.

I'm not sure why you think a convertible has better odds, but I'll agree that the odds are low.

This is really not an easy decision to make. The smaller the device is the handier it is, literally, but the more it must be restricted to consuming rather than creating.I don't see the value in creating an iPhone, only 20% or 30% larger, but I've been wrong before. A 10" would yield enough of a surface for a more flexible interface, more gesture support, less eyestrain, and so on, but at the cost of pocketability.

If this is a real project, I wonder how much hair the project manager has lost.