iPhone 3.0 MMS, tethering rumored; Sirius XM iPhone app enroute

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now, the list of feature that I might make use of? That's a longer list. Still curious why AI hasn't liked to this site in this report yet. It's a brilliant website, and I'm glad it exists.

I am glad to see the request for full Arabic support to be one of the top ten. The iPhone supports languages for countries without official iPhone availability but lacks Arabic support (the fifth most spoken language in the world) even with four Arab countries officially selling the iPhone!! Friends and family back home loved the iPhone but were disappointed that it cannot read nor write Arabic.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My biggest issue with SMS and MMS is that it's crappy technology that exorbitant rates. I think the whole thing is a scam and is a result of the cellular cartel price gouging the customer. If the cost is virtually zero why do they charge so much for 160 characters and the price keeps going up? It's considerably more than the cost of receiving data from the Hubble telescope.

Excellent points. I am amazed that no one is stepping up to take on these rip-off artists.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I am glad to see the request for full Arabic support to be one of the top ten. The iPhone support languages for countries without official iPhone availability but lacks Arabic support (the fifth most spoken language in the world) even with four Arab countries officially selling the iPhone!! Friends and family back home loved the iPhone but were disappointed that it cannot read nor write Arabic.

Interesting. Of those 4 countries that speak Arabic, what is the potential iPhone purchase numbers if you add up the carriers numbers for those countries. This, of course, does not account for the profusion of native Arabic speakers around the world where the iPhone is sold. I wonder if it's not included yet because the number of speakers that Apple assumes would buy the iPhone are less than other languages, though I don't know all the languages that Apple supports. I may be wrong but I think a very common language, like Spanish, wasn't supported right away.

Here is the list, in short:
    1) Background 3rd-party apps (Still will be problematic even with faster CPU and more RAM, so I say no)

2) MMS (I think it's coming)

3) C&P (I think it's coming)

4) Wireless syncing (Hell no!)

5) landscape typing for email/SMS (I say offer it, but I find typing in landscape mode to be more difficult)

6) Flash (Not until Abode can makeFlash 9 or 10 viable for ARM)

7) Arabic (If it's popular then I'm sure they will offer it)

8) Video recording (If they use Tegra or have SL use OpenCL then I think it will finally be viable, it isn't now)

9) Full screen click for camera (This makes so much sense I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet)
  • Reply 24 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Because, it's a losing battle. Ever try to email using T9? Riiiight. That form factor (dial pad format) will NEVER go away.

It's about d*mn time that MMS is coming. About d*mn time. I'm so freaking sick of going to that buggy site just to look at a pict. I just hope this rumor is true.

Why not get all those MMS you no doubt receive sent to your email address, most phone's which are capable of sending MMS also have the capability of saving an email address under a contacts details.

This would remove the need to type an email address using damn T9 for those who can figure out how to send an MMS but can't figure out how to switch off T9 (or similar implementations of this copyrighted technology).
  • Reply 25 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Spooky!

"Great minds think." - Al Ike
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Excellent points. I am amazed that no one is stepping up to take on these rip-off artists.

There was one I read about last year, Wisconsin senator Herb Kohl of the Kohl department stores, but I can find no follow up on it. He seems like a good guy and doesn't need hush money (though having money doesn't seem to be a deterrent for wanting more of it).
  • Reply 27 of 90
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

I'm sure you've had this debate before, but I'll put it this way... since you believe what you believe (i.e. everyone should just go to email) then why did Apple add in SMS? Doesn't Email do things better then?

I believe SMS was a concession to AT&T and other carriers, as it is a huge profit center for them. Note Apple put no pressure on AT&T to make SMS a part of the unlimited data plan.

By the way, more people use SMS than any other service (of any kind) in the world, and MMS is rapidly growing - it's by way more people than email.

If MMS is included in iPhone 3.0, I think it will be another concession because MMS is also a huge profit center to the carriers. I only wonder what additional "control" Apple gained because of it.
  • Reply 28 of 90
    Two things I want, which I never really hear being mentioned. Is a proper YouTube app; where you can login to your account, rate and comment on videos. The second is over-the-air podcast integration in "the iPod app", i.e. so you don't have to leave the iPod app, at all. A button down the bottom, when you scroll down the Podcast tab, similar to "Get more episodes..." but when you tap it it checks for new ones, and then present you a list of "all" the new episodes so you can select them, or "all" and they go straight into the app, removing iTunes.ipa from this equation altogether.
  • Reply 29 of 90
    Quote:

"Great minds think." - Al Ike

Not to nitpick, but I find that simple minds are more likely to think alike as they conceive less variables and therefore have less of chance in deviating their thoughts. I'm not passive-aggressively making a statement about you and hittrj01, I'm just pointing out one of those locutions that don't actually make sense what you think about them. Okay, time for bed.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Quote:

Two things I want, which I never really hear being mentioned. Is a proper YouTube app; where you can login to your account, rate and comment on videos. The second is over-the-air podcast integration in "the iPod app", i.e. so you don't have to leave the iPod app, at all. A button down the bottom, when you scroll down the Podcast tab, similar to "Get more episodes..." but when you tap it it checks for new ones, and then present you a list of "all" the new episodes so you can select them, or "all" and they go straight into the app, removing iTunes.ipa from this equation altogether.

That is a great idea! Aren't there videos that require you to be logged in to verify your age? Can those be viewed on the iPhone? Does logging into the website via Safari and then clicking on the video bypass the age check for the 18+ videos?
  • Reply 31 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:

History is the best yard stick. We went from iPod to iPod photo, and after that we had iPod again.

I'm guessing the next iPhone will be called "iPhone", with no second word in the name at all.

There's a lot of marketing and $$ behind the term "iPhone" as well as "OSX". Everyone know what it is so there is no real incentive for Apple to give it a new brand name. Arguably, Snow Leopard could be a v.11 release but they are not going to go out and call it OSXI now will they?
  • Reply 32 of 90
    Quote:

Not to nitpick, but I find that simple minds are more likely to think alike as they conceive less variables and therefore have less of chance in deviating their thoughts. I'm not passive-aggressively making a statement about you and hittrj01, I'm just pointing out one of those locutions that don't actually make sense what you think about them. Okay, time for bed.

Yeah, bed time
  • Reply 33 of 90
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

It's a pain in the butt that it took this look (if true) to get MMS, as for a quite a few people it would be "handy to have". And it should be added. Having said that I personally don't use it.

Now, the list of feature that I might make use of? That's a longer list. Still curious why AI hasn't liked to this site in this report yet. It's a brilliant website, and I'm glad it exists.

What a useless site, I guess it's the only iphone that's missing features.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

What a useless site, I guess it's the only iphone that's missing features.

Was that comment supposed to make sense? Cause it didn't. If it had made sense like you intended it to, you're missing the point. Sites like this are setup, because the iPhone is "nearly there". 800,000 votes later you can bet your bottom dollar Apple know the site exists, and have read it. A lot of features Apple added to the phone so far was because of requests. Exchange support was added because there was a huge demand for it, for example. Flush headphone jack, ability to disable auto-correct, the list goes on.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

LOL, Agreed! Great minds may think alike, but simple ones do as well! Hopefully Ireland and I are part of the former rather than the latter!
  • Reply 36 of 90
    How did Apple manage to keep this under wraps, no leaked rumours, seems they are getting good at it, same with the shuffle, hit everyone with a surprise.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    Quote:

Was that comment supposed to make sense? Cause it didn't. If it had made sense like you intended it to, you're missing the point. Sites like this are setup, because the iPhone is "nearly there". 800,000 votes later you can bet your bottom dollar Apple know the site exists, and have read it. A lot of features Apple added to the phone so far was because of requests. Exchange support was added because there was a huge demand for it, for example.

LOL, so I guess Apple is adding features because of that useless site?
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

LOL, so I guess Apple is adding features because of that useless site?

Well sites like this are giving the feedback they keep telling us they want, and are getting. Every drop counts buddy. You're wrong if you think it's not having an impact. Rearranging the home-screen was a big one, so they added it. Even Apple can clear the wax out now and then.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is one of the few phone manufacturers to leave out MMS.

Maybe it just took a little time. After all their patent filing only appeared a year ago. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/04/ip..._module-2.html
  • Reply 40 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Maybe it just took a little time. After all their patent filing only appeared a year ago. http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/04/ip..._module-2.html

I don't know if I agree with that taking time bit, but I do think when they add MMS, they will add a "camera" icon in the SMS app. Tap the icon: "choose a photo", "take a photo" or "cancel".