iPhone 3.0 MMS, tethering rumored; Sirius XM iPhone app enroute

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't know if I agree with that taking time bit, but I do think when they add MMS, they will add a "camera" icon in the SMS app. Tap the icon: "choose a photo", "take a photo" or "cancel".

If the patent referenced is in the offering, it certainly didn't come about overnight.

Note: I seem to remember that AT&T does not include this service in their Unlimited Data Plan. And unless you opt for the additional service, you are charged not only for sending the message, but any that are sent to you; even if you don't open them.

If so, "Cancel" may become the norm.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

If the patent referenced is in the offering, it certainly didn't come about overnight.

Note: I seem to remember that AT&T does not include this service in their Unlimited Data Plan. And unless you opt for the additional service, you are charged not only for sending the message, but any that are sent to you; even if you don't open them.

If so, "Cancel" may become the norm.

I keep hearing this AT&T, what is it?
  • Reply 43 of 90
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

Because, it's a losing battle. Ever try to email using T9? Riiiight. That form factor (dial pad format) will NEVER go away.

It's about d*mn time that MMS is coming. About d*mn time. I'm so freaking sick of going to that buggy site just to look at a pict. I just hope this rumor is true.

I've never been able to get that stupid site to work.
  • Reply 44 of 90
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

I believe SMS was a concession to AT&T and other carriers, as it is a huge profit center for them. Note Apple put no pressure on AT&T to make SMS a part of the unlimited data plan.

I'm sure you have a really good source to show that Apple didn't try to get SMS included for free again.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w1n78 View Post

wow, if this ends up being true, the only thing i can complain about my iphone 3g is the garbage coverage at&t has

Yeah, shame really. I got pretty much no hope. I got Verizon, but even if iPhone opens up to other carriers Verizon would most likely disable the wifi like they do on their other smart phones.

Thought about getting a Blackberry Touch, but Verizon disabled wifi. Doesn't surprise me that Apple couldn't come to an agreement with them, they got the best network & know it so they feel at liberty to be greedy.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Yehaahaaaa! MMS. I enjoy getting raped in the butt by carriers charging me 10 dollars per MMS messages sent.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Sirius supposedly stopped including free Internet streaming with their satellite subscriptions as of yesterday. So, I'd expect anything they offer to be at least $2.99/month ($12.95/month without a sat radio subscription). Mostly music and talk radio. It was nice when it was included with their radio subscriptions, but I doubt I'd pay extra for it.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    Copy+Paste - is the Biggest mystery to me! How can iPhone be called a Platform without that?

Memo Syncing, or Syncing of Text Documents, with 2 way Edit/Sync -- Palm had that since before 1999, that's PREVIOUS CENTURY!!!

Spotlight - how are we supposed to find stuff on iPhone? -- Palm had that since before 1999, that's PREVIOUS CENTURY!!!

Video Recording -- Palm had that since before 1999, that's PREVIOUS CENTURY!!!

Tethering - Palm had that since 2006!!! Verizon charged extra $15 per month for it. Hope ATT doesn't charge extra!

But, I want iPhone, not Palm Treo 700p

Flash - a lot of Internet is Flash, so when is iPhone going to support Flash???

If Palm Treo 700p Crashes while I am not home, I can Restore it from CF Card, but iPhone doesn't have that, so what's the Solution?

No replaceable battery - would be nice to have one, but I guess external bricks would do...

Those are my biggest complaints, which is why I didn't by one yet!

CAN YOU HEAR ME APPLE?!
  • Reply 49 of 90
    imantaimanta Posts: 29member
    macologist... some points to your post, I agree somewhat, but overall I wonder why you even want an iPhone?

Copy+Paste - Seriously I whined about it at first, but I honestly have gotten used to not having it. And in terms of a "platform", there are lots of "platforms" that don't support copy/paste.

Memo Syncing - Yes, stupid they don't have this.

Spotlight - What do you really need to find on there? Open contacts, find. I think its a simple add for them on the app front, but its not missing for 90% of the community out there.

Video Recording - Agreed, this is a big miss. The camera sucks in general though.

Tethering - AT&T will charge, just like they do for the Crackberry and all other tethering devices.

Flash - Not an Apple issue, Flash has become a bloated plug-in (I'm a Flash dev, so I speak from experience). It makes the desktop experience better, but it forces handheld devices to be more powerful than they probably need to be. Plus its going to suuuuuuck battery.

If Palm Treo 700p Crashes while I am not home, I can Restore it from CF Card, but iPhone doesn't have that, so what's the Solution? - Never going to happen, such an edge case from a consumer perspective.

No replaceable battery - Again, no big deal for most people. Devices with battery doors always seem to break (in the battery door area). The add on bricks work pretty well if you really need more juice.

Seriously it sounds like you need to stick with Palm, I have gone through 650s, 680s, 700s, and a Centro. If you find a device that does everything you want, then why are you begging Apple to change theirs? I love my iPhone and will probably buy the next version, but I will definitely look at the Pre when it releases. No reason to be 100% Apple all the time if better products exist for what you need.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My biggest issue with SMS and MMS is that it's crappy technology that exorbitant rates. I think the whole thing is a scam and is a result of the cellular cartel price gouging the customer. If the cost is virtually zero why do they charge so much for 160 characters and the price keeps going up? It's considerably more than the cost of receiving data from the Hubble telescope.

SMS and MMS is much more convenient for ordinary, day to day messages. And as I said in the other thread, we have very cheap (almost free) sms. Email is such a pain for simple messages like, "Where do we eat?".. And yes, SMS and MMS gets to be auto-pushed, if you know what I mean.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    iPhone's battery will drain in 4 hours, if I watch mobile TV, having been subscribed to that by a MMS message. Yet I hoped iPhone supported Mobile TV, I wanted it, it was another reason to buy iPhone... And I was setback so mercilessly right at the Orange's counter in the shop...
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Yehaahaaaa! MMS. I enjoy getting raped in the butt by carriers charging me 10 dollars per MMS messages sent.

Is this true? Or an exaggeration? For a SMS message, we pay P0.60 (USD 1 = PHP 49)... And, we don't get billed when we receive SMS message, hehe. I hear that in some places, receiving SMS messages cost something too.
  • Reply 53 of 90
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:

History is the best yard stick. We went from iPod to iPod photo, and after that we had iPod again.

I'm guessing the next iPhone will be called "iPhone", with no second word in the name at all.

I think it will be called "iPhone 3G (2009)" or something like that. Of course it will only say "iPhone" on it.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strikestrike View Post

Is this true? Or an exaggeration? For a SMS message, we pay P0.60 (USD 1 = PHP 49)... And, we don't get billed when we receive SMS message, hehe. I hear that in some places, receiving SMS messages cost something too.

Regarding AT&T in the US... The original iPhone had a $20/month unlimited data plan that came with 200 SMS. The iPhone 3G had a $30/month data plan and didn't come with any SMS. For $5/month more you could add 200, for $15/month you could add 1,500. They are tallied for sending and receiving.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I don't know if I agree with that taking time bit, but I do think when they add MMS, they will add a "camera" icon in the SMS app. Tap the icon: "choose a photo", "take a photo" or "cancel".

Don't forget MMS isn't just pictures. It also supports video, some useless slideshow type thing, and long text messages (a much much larger character limit).

Personally, I don't miss it that much: I miss bluetooth image transfer more, and the ability to send and receive business cards (vcards) via SMS. Also delivery reports -- they could do those by changing the background colour of the text bubble when the message was delivered.

Amorya
  • Reply 56 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Don't forget MMS isn't just pictures. It also supports video, some useless slideshow type thing, and long text messages (a much much larger character limit).

Personally, I don't miss it that much: I miss bluetooth image transfer more, and the ability to send and receive business cards (vcards) via SMS. Also delivery reports -- they could do those by changing the background colour of the text bubble when the message was delivered.

Amorya

Are these other MMS features widely supported between other phones? If I were Apple, reluctantly wanting to support this lowgrade yet expensive feature, I would only support the basic picture sending.

I do find it odd that the iPhone can't send or receive vCards from (at the very least) email.

How big is MMS in China? Could this potential inclusion of MMS be due to a market Apple wishes to secure, the way it added Emoji to Japanese iPhones.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    to the people who say they don't want iphone to support MMS. this kind of attitude is so obnoxious, there is no reason for it.

#1 i have dozens and dozens of friends, with simple T9 phones and no email or data plan support. they have no interest in getting a smartphone like me.

#2 it'll probably be another 3-5 years before phones with data plans become the norm, and even then you'll still have people walking around with on razers.

#3 if i happen to stumble across something and take a picture, MMS let's me share it with everyone, not just certain people.

i understand saying you want people to support email over MMS, and i get the fact that phone companies take advantage SMS and MMS charges. but saying you hope a phone doesn't support something, that wouldn't hurt you at all. that's just ridiculous. for those of us who have friends and family with older phones, i'll send/receive their media anyway i can. tell your friends not to send you MMS if you don't like it so much... but don't spoil it for the rest of us.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    MMS--as a feature--should have been there from day one. I'll welcome the option--though, I'll probably not use it. No word on A2DP .
  • Reply 59 of 90
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imanta View Post

macologist... some points to your post, I agree somewhat, but overall I wonder why you even want an iPhone?

Copy+Paste - Seriously I whined about it at first, but I honestly have gotten used to not having it. And in terms of a "platform", there are lots of "platforms" that don't support copy/paste.

I like my iPhone 3G but it's lacking a bit in features required to do volume communications for business (I use copy/paste 20-30X a day on my BlackBerry). I guess I'm not willing to get "used to not having" something key, especially when I'm paying $3,000 a year to those boneheads at AT&T for a phone I can only use for an occasional call between my wife & I. Maybe I'm the bonehead here.

Doesn't Apple claim OS X is the "world's most advanced operating system"? Doesn't the iPhone run on a mobile version of OS X?

Isn't copy & paste an original, base functionality of prehistoric computers?

I know I could copy & paste on my old CP/M Kaypro via a simple keystroke. But not 27 years later on my iPhone.

So much for marketing claims.

I would also like to see in iPhone 3.0 the ability to export v-cards from iPhone Address Book & attach to an MMS or email or transfer by BT. Calendar events as well. Import/export of v-cards would be extremely handy. This would vault iPhone way above BlackBerry. However, that might loosen iTunes' dictatorial grip, so regardless of how convenient it might be for a businessman or woman, I really doubt we'll see it anytime soon.

The biggest improvement (for me) would be the ability of the virtual keyboard to rotate horizontally to get larger, increasing the space between characters. My huge fingers have a difficult time on the iPhone's neonatal keyboard and constant errors make typing very frustrating.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by w00master View Post

I don't think anyone is claiming that MMS/tethering is "going to be the star" of the iPhone OS 3.0. This article was just a possible tidbit of what is coming.

two things. One the win mobile is used on ezpay at apple store

Maybe the new OS will support retail service?

2nd millions of iPhone users contracts expire soon and with the palm pre with flash ALS July, and good street price, maybe they want to make sure they offer thses new things and turn by turn gps. My tech phone has voice turn by turn. No reason voice in new shuffle can't do this.