iPhone 3.0 MMS, tethering rumored; Sirius XM iPhone app enroute

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are these other MMS features widely supported between other phones? If I were Apple, reluctantly wanting to support this lowgrade yet expensive feature, I would only support the basic picture sending.

I believe so. I only really know about Nokia, but they're supported on any Nokia phone that supports MMS.

I believe at least the slideshow stuff is common, as I've seen carriers use it for advertising: I doubt they'd do that if not everything supported it.

Personally, I doubt I'd care if it was pictures only, although the long text messages could be useful.

Amorya
  • Reply 82 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If they charged for it, wouldn't that cut income from the App store?

The iPhone/iPhone 3G have basically the same hardware.

They do, and the Touch also has the same core components but requires a fee for point releases due to a very silly SOx law (or so I'm told). If the update comes out before the Jhnd 27th(?) two-year anniversary of the original iPhone then it will not need to be charged. After that I have no idea how the accounting model will work. My previous post listed a bunch of my questions and concerns so I won't repret them. I welcome any educated guesses.
  • Reply 83 of 90
    ttupperttupper Posts: 39member
    123 delete me
  • Reply 84 of 90
    And the biggest announcement will be: EV-DO iPhone! lol... we all wish, right?
  • Reply 85 of 90
  • Reply 86 of 90
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMason09 View Post

My hopes and predictions:

http://masoniblog.blogspot.com/2009/...-wishlist.html

1. MMS: welcome to the 20th century, iPhone!

2. Camera shoots video

3. Copy and paste: this would really put the iPhone leagues ahead of many other handsets, and, unfortunately, catch it up to some of the more advanced ones.

4. Background apps; notifications: these exist for built-in iPhone apps, but make it available to applications not purchased from the App Store like you said you would with iPhone 2.0!

5. Tethering: means the ability to use your iPhone as a wireless router, allowing your laptop to use the phone's 3G network. AT&T said this was coming soon...

6. Real Bluetooth functionality: file synchronization, etc.

7. iTunes wireless syncing: now this is wishful thinking, but just imagine that!

Numbers 1, 3 and 5 ound reasonable and I fully expect them. Though number 6 will need AT&T's support before it will happen, it shouldn't require much in terms of coding.

Numbers 4 and 6 are partially fine if it's the notification service, not background apps, and if it's A2DP and vCard sending, not iPhone syncing. Background apps won't be possible without more RAm and a faster CPU, but even then I doubt the battery usage will be efficient enough to make it viable. Syncing a 16GB iPhone over BT makes even less sense than WiFi syncing.

Numbers 2 and 7 don't make any sense to me at this point. The issue with the iPhone's video camera seems to be more of a HW issue than SW issue. If v3.0 is SL based then it will be more efficient, but I doubt it will be enough to make video recording practical at a decent framerate. WiFi syncing seems like a great idea but it's just going to drain the battery while going considerably slower than USB2.0.
  • Reply 87 of 90
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

Sirius supposedly stopped including free Internet streaming with their satellite subscriptions as of yesterday. So, I'd expect anything they offer to be at least $2.99/month ($12.95/month without a sat radio subscription). Mostly music and talk radio. It was nice when it was included with their radio subscriptions, but I doubt I'd pay extra for it.

This is the only comment that I found that covered the radio services. I guess that probably means that satellite radio is on its way out.

Someone I know said he used Pandora for radio on his cross-country drive. Satellite radio is a neat idea, but its value seems to be diminishing, and it didn't help that they mismanaged their way into they hole they're in.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by strikestrike View Post

Is this true? Or an exaggeration? For a SMS message, we pay P0.60 (USD 1 = PHP 49)... And, we don't get billed when we receive SMS message, hehe. I hear that in some places, receiving SMS messages cost something too.

In the US, we get slammed with the charge when coming and going. And we are charged a lot more than that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

An extra 5 bucks- unlimited @ Verizon.

For sending a picture, it's no extra charge if you send it as an attachment to email using the data plan. Not that it's any consolation for those whose friends don't have a phone that can email photos.
  • Reply 88 of 90
    Anyone that says that MMS is an old technology and shouldn't be on the iPhone is, to put it nicely, either from the US or has no idea the advantages MMS has over email.

Believe it or not, the iPhone is sold all over the world and MMS is BIG in Europe. MMS is pretty much included in all plans because nearly every phone (smart or non) has MMS and it requires no setting up unlike email. If you didn't know most people don't have smartphones and its far easier and quicker to simply enter a phone number (to send the MMS) than enter an email address on a standard keypad.

There are 2 big reasons MMS can be better than email:

1. most European plans have a number of inclusive MMS messages per month and they generally don't include a decent data plan by default, so it would cost extra to send via email anyway. It is also free for anyone to receive an MMS (unlike email if you don't have a plan).

2. the receiving phone doesn't need a web browser to view it (as nearly every phone supports MMS anyway) and with MMS you don't need to worry if the person you sending it to has one or has a data plan to view it

On a side note, unlike the US, we don't get raped by our carriers for extra phone features. So nearly every phone supports tethering (over bluetooth or USB) and we don't need to pay extra for it. So Apple finally adding it will be great, it's about damn time. Same goes for copy and paste.

In other words Apple adding MMS might not be big for the US, but it certainly is for the rest of the world.
  • Reply 89 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's just confirmed iPhone 3.0 firmware is already rumored to add MMS picture messaging and data tethering. Also, Sirius XM has said it plans to give its radio subscribers an iPhone app, and Maine is negotiating a major deal to lease 100,000 MacBooks for its schools.

Possible iPhone 3.0 features leaked

While Apple has only just said it will introduce iPhone 3.0 at a special event next week, rumors have already surfaced of what the major refresh of the mobile OS will bring.

Well-known technology insider Boy Genius said he has been told of two new features so far. Notably, iPhones would get Multimedia Messaging Service support, or MMS. The standard is used to send photos and videos in a form similar to text-only SMS and has long been popular for trading content between phones for several years. Apple is one of the few phone manufacturers to leave out MMS.

iPhones would also purportedly get data tethering, or the ability to serve as the Internet connection for a computer, for both a direct USB connection as well as over Bluetooth. The update would put iPhones on a par with the data options for most smartphones.

Both claims haven't received additional support and should, for now, be seen as potentially inaccurate. However, AT&T has already said that tethering would come soon to iPhones.

Sirius XM building iPhone radio app

Hoping to diversify where and how users get its satellite radio stations, Sirius XM on Thursday mentioned in a financial results conference call that it will have an iPhone app ready sometime during the spring.

The software would let the iPhone and iPod touch stream Sirius or XM stations over the devices' respective Internet connections. Existing subscribers could keep listening to programming away from their normal satellite radios, while new customers could subscribe without having to link it to a dedicated radio, according to Sirius XM chief Mel Karmazin.

Unlike most existing Internet radio apps for the iPhone, the app would likely require the same $13 monthly subscription as needed for Sirius XM's conventional radios or for online-only listening.

The company has been struggling to add subscribers in recent months and has been particularly hard-hit in the automotive industry, where plunging car sales mean fewer satellite radios being sold.

Maine may grow MacBook school program

Even though the economic crisis has been tightening educational budgets, Apple is nearing a coup that would see it deliver 100,000 MacBooks to Maine high school students.

The northeastern state's Education Department declared on Wednesday that it was talking with Apple to expand the range of its current agreement -- which began in 2006 -- to more than double the current tally of about 47,000 MacBooks as part of a four-year leasing deal.

As with the original program, the goal would be to close the gap between rich and poor students by ensuring that every student has access to the same computing resources. A 2007 study showed that the writing skills of students had increased after the portables were introduced to classes.

And to deflect likely criticisms regarding wasteful spending, state Governor John Baldacci has stressed that the MacBooks won't add to any existing spending deficit.

Did you guys see this- pocket tune for sirius radio

http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/55/292/article/

Can I play Sirius Satellite Radio on Pocket Tunes Radio? Yes!
  • Reply 90 of 90
    Did you guys see this- pocket tune for sirius radio

http://www.normsoft.com/kb/idx/55/292/article/

Can I play Sirius Satellite Radio on Pocket Tunes Radio? Yes!