Inside Apple's new third-gen iPod shuffle (teardown photos)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That certainly a valid argument and refreshing point of concern from the typical complaining for the sake of complaining, .

Please, people have been posting valid reasons up and down at AI, iLounge and other sites why this new iPod sucks for the last 3 days. Refreshing- HA!
  • Reply 62 of 81
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

WOAH - now you are digging deep!

No, personal experience. I've already replaced a set of fairly expensive earphones because the insulation at the point where the wire met the earbud split and eventually lost connection. I taped it up and kept using it as long as it worked. I didn't abuse the thing; the only real wear on it at that location was from winding up the cord to put it back in the case.
  • Reply 63 of 81
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Please, people have been posting valid reasons up and down at AI, iLounge and other sites why this new iPod sucks for the last 3 days. Refreshing- HA!

I implore you to compare the differences between GMHut's post and the typical "concerns" being posted.
  • Reply 64 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

No, personal experience. I've already replaced a set of fairly expensive earphones because the insulation at the point where the wire met the earbud split and eventually lost connection. I taped it up and kept using it as long as it worked. I didn't abuse the thing; the only real wear on it at that location was from winding up the cord to put it back in the case.

OK, in terms of flimsy headphones in general I agree, but that this is a major design problem with the new Shuffle just seems a little far fetched. The ones you busted, were they Apple or 3rd party? I have had a couple of sets of headphones go, not because of the cable but because the ones that came with my g3 iPod and iPod mini just gave in eventually. They are CHEAP items so I never expected anything more. I don't know if a pair of expensive 3rd Party units would have lasted any longer. Possibly, but I only once bought a pair of expensive Sony's and they were so crappy I gave them away.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Solipsism - what do you mean by

Quote:

e1618978: "...everything I know about the UK comes from Top Gear."

? To me it is funny but I wonder...
  • Reply 66 of 81
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:

I have had a couple of sets of headphones go, not because of the cable but because the ones that came with my g3 iPod and iPod mini just gave in eventually. They are CHEAP items so I never expected anything more.

I replaced the Apple earphones with better earphones because the Apple earphones "went" for me as well. I decided to step up to better sound quality while I was at it (3rd party, didn't know what I was missing, but was SO glad I did for that reason alone). I don't think I would be happy with listening to music if I went back to lesser sound quality. The fact the ones that came with it are cheap is the point. Even more expensive earphones are subject to the fact thin wire which flexes and bends constantly by nature wears out?nature of the beast. They are what they are, only now they have double duty as the controller?just sayin'
  • Reply 67 of 81
    Quote:

I implore you to compare the differences between GMHut's post and the typical "concerns" being posted.

I respectfully defer to you to not to be so biased in your readings of most posts which are critical and labeling them as "complainings".
  • Reply 68 of 81
    Quote:

Solipsism - what do you mean by

Quote:

e1618978: "...everything I know about the UK comes from Top Gear."

? To me it is funny but I wonder...

e1618978 posted that several days back. I found it very funny. Especially considering that despite my many travels to the UK, basic knowledge of British history and watching of many British TV shows over 2 decades I have probably learned more about the UK from watching Top Gear.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    Quote:

e1618978 posted that several days back. I found it very funny. Especially considering that despite my many travels to the UK, basic knowledge of British history and watching of many British TV shows over 2 decades I have probably learned more about the UK from watching Top Gear.

Very funny. I lived in the UK for many years and the statement is so utterly absurd and preposterous yet I completely get it.
  • Reply 70 of 81

• Reply 71 of 81
    It's finally here and just as I predicted- so sad

from the iLounge:

Pros: Apple’s smallest, lightest iPod yet, and first iPod shuffle with remote control functionality. Offers modestly better transfer speeds and audio quality than prior shuffle, replaces prior dock with simpler USB sync and charge cable. Adds VoiceOver feature to let you switch playlists, identify certain tracks, determine battery levels.

Cons: Needlessly and seriously complicates controls by switching to a buttonless body, which cannot be controlled without Apple headphones or not-yet-manufactured third-party proprietary remote control solutions; presently next to useless with car or home stereos. Confusing interface will be hard for many users to totally grasp and use. Poor value as either a 4GB media player or 4GB flash drive. Very slow at file transfers by current iPod standards. Battery power diminished considerably from prior model. Boring design.

For the complete 9 page review:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...rd-generation/

I expect to now be attacked for "trolling" and /or "complaining".
  • Reply 72 of 81
    Quote:

It's finally here and just as I predicted- so sad:no

Nice review from iLounge as usual, but what exactly did you predict that wasn't known before.

The only thing you list that I recall you predicting was that the audio was going to be worse quality, while iLounge states that it is better than the 2G Shuffle. Personally, I think using $1,200 headphones with an $80 player is foolish. Fine for testing purposes, but don't kid yourself into thinking that such a setup is the norm and don't try to defend such a pairing in the real world.

I wouldn't say that the battery "diminished considerably" when we are talking about 17% reduction is stated duration, which was "increased considerably" in ral use according to iLounge's testing: "Even with occasional VoiceOver interactions to check their batteries, one ran for 11 hours and 45 minutes, the other 13 hours and 5 minutes, for an average run time of 12 hours and 25 minutes." Not bad for a battery half the size than the previous models and probably not a concern for people buying the product.

I see no cavets here, but them again I requested these updates before the product was announced so I'm not in the small category that were looking for a larger model with pointlessly long battery times and a single line monochrome display.

I'm also in the category that asked for Apple Lossless. Despite the number of people that constantly seem to be saying that iTtunes Store audio sucks because they don't use ALAC at the ridiculously high ~1MB/sec that is about 55% of an AiFF file, this review seems to make no mention of this new (and important) inclusion. I'm curious how long the battery would last running ALAC files; I suspect it would be dramatically decreased. In fact, I'd like to see how different file types last and if the chapters built into my 200MB+ audiobooks will be recognized and if it will remember my place.

Besides this being a very solid product I don't buy extraneous things if that don't serve a particular purpose and I am quite happy with my 2G Shuffle. I think you might get your hopes up by expecting too much from this tech company so you et al. can't help but be disappointed when the impossible and improbably doesn't materialize.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

You missed the point of BeaverbookG4's comment. He wants the ability to skip forward or back a few seconds at a time, rather than one track at a time:

I personally think that this feature is almost completely useless on my 1Gen Shuffle, but apparently not everyone feels the same.

Quote:

On a long music selection, let's say over 8 minutes, it's great.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Podcasts and audio books too.

On a two hour podcast with technical info or a ten hour book - being able to fast forward and rewind is a virtual necessity - especially if you lose the bookmark part way through, which is easy to do on my G2 Shuffle. And some music cuts are considerably longer than eight minutes.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I think this shuffle is going to have the same fate as the fat nano and pastel colored shuffles. A year from now Apple will take a step back and restore the previous designs with some slight tweaks. Basically, it will be the design that they should have used in the first place. Of course, they won't say they are restoring what they foolishly took away, and they won't do it sooner than a year, because that would be like admitting they made a mistake.

So bookmark this post. About a year from now there will be an updated shuffle. It will still have the controls on the headphones, that's here to stay. But Apple will find a way to put at least some basic controls back on the body of the shuffle. It won't be the classic Apple controller (again, that would be like admitting they made a mistake), but they will come up with something.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism;1390210[QUOTE

Nice review from iLounge as usual, but what exactly did you predict that wasn't known before.

You must be joking. Everything that I wrote as well as anybody else who thought this was a sucky update you lambasted as a "complainer". I said a simplified product had been made too complex just for starters as well as many other items that i simply just don't feel like repeating. Perhaps you should go through and re-read my posts and not the ones that were a response to a Kool-aid attack.

Quote:

The only thing you list that I recall you predicting was that the audio was going to be worse quality, while iLounge states that it is better than the 2G Shuffle. Personally, I think using $1,200 headphones with an $80 player is foolish. Fine for testing purposes, but don't kid yourself into thinking that such a setup is the norm and don't try to defend such a pairing in the real world.

Add that to what I just stated above- so far 2 things - keep reading my prior posts. And again you're twisting it- how many times did I say that it remains to be seen until it's tested what the sound is like. I never, ever predicted that the sound would be worsed-. How could I? Why and how would I know that/ You twist again! I repeatedly said that unless the sound quality was restored back to the 1G it would be a failure. And now that it has been concluded that it is in fact worse than the 1G - it fails! How can you keep twisting it to make it seem like it's not?? And FYI- my $15 SONY headphones sound better than Apple's - not $1,200 of which I or others on here just don't own.

Quote:

I wouldn't say that the battery "diminished considerably" when we are talking about 17% reduction is stated duration, which was "increased considerably" in ral use according to iLounge's testing: "Even with occasional VoiceOver interactions to check their batteries, one ran for 11 hours and 45 minutes, the other 13 hours and 5 minutes, for an average run time of 12 hours and 25 minutes." Not bad for a battery half the size than the previous models and probably not a concern for people buying the product.

"Diminished considerably" means exactly that- why do you keep twisting information to your advantage and not let the test speak for itself.

Quote:

I see no cavets here, but them again I requested these updates before the product was announced so I'm not in the small category that were looking for a larger model with pointlessly long battery times and a single line monochrome display.

IF THAT'S NOT A WHINE AND A COMPLAINT- THEN WHAT IS?

Quote:

I'm also in the category that asked for Apple Lossless. Despite the number of people that constantly seem to be saying that iTtunes Store audio sucks because they don't use ALAC at the ridiculously high ~1MB/sec that is about 55% of an AiFF file, this review seems to make no mention of this new (and important) inclusion. I'm curious how long the battery would last running ALAC files; I suspect it would be dramatically decreased. In fact, I'd like to see how different file types last and if the chapters built into my 200MB+ audiobooks will be recognized and if it will remember my place.

Because lossless obviously doesn't matter if your outputting crap, that's why.

Quote:

Besides this being a very solid product I don't buy extraneous things if that don't serve a particular purpose and I am quite happy with my 2G Shuffle. I think you might get your hopes up by expecting too much from this tech company so you et al. can't help but be disappointed when the impossible and improbably doesn't materialize.

NO- I just don't want Apple wasting R&D on ridiculous unnecessary dreck such as this instead of concentrating on more important matters- that's all. Who's been craving to have their song titles spoken to them????WHo needs and wants this gimmick??? Who??? Besides you??? you???
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I think this shuffle is going to have the same fate as the fat nano and pastel colored shuffles. A year from now Apple will take a step back and restore the previous designs with some slight tweaks. Basically, it will be the design that they should have used in the first place. Of course, they won't say they are restoring what they foolishly took away, and they won't do it sooner than a year, because that would be like admitting they made a mistake.

So bookmark this post. About a year from now there will be an updated shuffle. It will still have the controls on the headphones, that's here to stay. But Apple will find a way to put at least some basic controls back on the body of the shuffle. It won't be the classic Apple controller (again, that would be like admitting they made a mistake), but they will come up with something.

One step forward - two steps back.

You're probably right. But did we really need all of this effort expended on a shuffle? It's seems a trifle misguided.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    I think Apple should have used a different name for the new Shuffle, and kept the old one as is, maybe just a 2GB model at $49 or $59.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    On a lighter note- for those that can't get enough from their iPods:

http://i.gizmodo.com/5169847/for-5-y...s-with-an-ipod
  • Reply 79 of 81
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

...read the Apple Manual.

To go back to the beginning of the track or go back to the previous track if you're already at the beginning, you triple click.

To fast rewind, you triple-click and hold.

To skip to the next track, you double click.

To fast forward through the track, you double click and hold.

And to hear the voice you....

And to get your playlists you....

And to get to the next track, or the previous one you...

And.....

Too many combos for something I use occasionally for me. Whatever happened to "intuitive" and "it just works"?

But I guess it would totally appeal to buyers of the Macbook Wheel. (An LoL if you haven't watched it!)

Plus a nerdy looking ...thing... hanging from my neck. Plus every inline headphone or mic control I've ever had has shorted out long before anything else went wrong.

Plus as another poster noted, useless with your stereo, car stereo (my main use), friend's stereo, existing premium buds and for multiple earbud sessions. And IMHO a featureless chunk of metal totally lacking in the oooh and ahhh department.

Next......
  • Reply 80 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

And to hear the voice you....

And to get your playlists you....

And to get to the next track, or the previous one you...

And.....

Too many combos for something I use occasionally for me. Whatever happened to "intuitive" and "it just works"?

But I guess it would totally appeal to buyers of the Macbook Wheel. (An LoL if you haven't watched it!)

Plus a nerdy looking ...thing... hanging from my neck. Plus every inline headphone or mic control I've ever had has shorted out long before anything else went wrong.

Plus as another poster noted, useless with your stereo, car stereo (my main use), friend's stereo, existing premium buds and for multiple earbud sessions. And IMHO a featureless chunk of metal totally lacking in the oooh and ahhh department.

Next......

I understand if the device isn't a fit for you and the instruction do seem somewhat complex, but I found them to be natural on the iPhone. Natural enough that I was immediately wanting more options, which have finally come albiet only in the Shuffle at this point.