Apple on iPhone tethering, Flash support, and Copy & Paste

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    I still haven't upgraded my original iPhone but I've read numerous times about how the 3G version strained ATT's networks even without tethering, so it's not difficult to understand why Apple hasn't tried to push tethering on top of the already heavy usage.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

I have used a couple of them.. there is just a great convenience to me when I don't have to download any software or run anything on the phone. Just plug and play.

The ability to load extra software is one of the greatest features of the iPhone! Do you really want to go back to the pre 2.0 days when you were limited to stock iPhone features??

• Reply 43 of 86
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steven R Wilson View Post

The ability to load extra software is one of the greatest features of the iPhone! Do you really want to go back to the pre 2.0 days when you were limited to stock iPhone features??

It is great that apps are available from third parties, both for extra functionality and to fill holes in the stock feature set. However, some 'features' are better when they are integrated into the device.
  • Reply 44 of 86
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

It is great that apps are available from third parties, both for extra functionality and to fill holes in the stock feature set. However, some 'features' are better when they are integrated into the device.

x2..

but more specifically I meant some of the solutions for remote file access actually wanted me to download an app to my PC to utilize the sharing process. I have no issue with downloading an app to the phone itself.
  • Reply 45 of 86
    Quote:

depending on 'how' the tethering is initiated it shouldn't have much of an impact on the battery... on the phones I've mentioned it's been done with the data (USB) cable plugged in so the phone has power from the device you're tethering with. If done via bluetooth or wireless (which I don't know if that is even an option) then you would have battery life to worry about.

I read somewhere yesterday that it would be over USB and/or BT. macrumors seems to have confirmed this (maybe) as some dev claims to have exposed the hidden prefs pane and that once the pane was enabled he tested USB tethering successfully.
  • Reply 46 of 86
    Tethering is a function included in most phone, and that's like several years ago.

You see before tethering via cable, and then moved to Bluetooth, I've used both in Asia and Europe.

After moving to the US, I've notice AT&T and most other T-Mobile, etc. are charging customer for tethering?

What the heck?

I didn't pay for it, and using tethering whenever I'm on biz trip, with my Nokia E61, BTW, I have iPhone 2G AT&T plan but using no iPhone. I know it's slow, but when I was in Europe and Asia I've done it through 3G service on the same phone.

And have been doing tethering for almost 2 years now, here in the US.

I believe tethering charge is just another excuse most US Mobile carrier are trying to cash $$$$.

PEOPLE please wake up, you don't need to pay tethering.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

PEOPLE please wake up, you don't need to pay tethering.

It's not PEOPLE that have to wake up, just the one IDIOT who thinks everything that drips from the official Apple mouthpiece is gospel.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

The security issue is bull. You don't reveal what's in the clipboard unless the user explicitly pastes into your application. What's the issue?

I can definitely imagine a malicious application being able to read the clipboard, although I don't know why it's any more a security risk than it would be on OS X. After all, third party clipboard apps abound for the Mac. Worst case, malware could execute a fake "paste" command to get the contents.

Quote:

The point is that the iPhone is not exactly overpowered, it has a very tight power budget and it gets away with displaying video efficiently by using hardware decoding, in specific, standard encodings. Flash video is not one of them. Flash is very inefficient in any number of ways and the way people use it is very inefficient. The bottom line is it will run down the battery or be unusuably slow on the iPhone. Apple are very touchy about their battery specs.

You're conflating two related yet separate things: Flash animations and the Flash video container. And even Flash video can use the H.264 codec that the iPhone already supports.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

You're conflating two related yet separate things: Flash animations and the Flash video container. And even Flash video can use the H.264 codec that the iPhone already supports.

Do people really care about not being able to watch Flash animations on their iPhones?

I mean apart from Adobe?

So sites that limit their video output to a single proprietary source will be left out of all the vast, and rapidly growing number of iPhones out there. Their loss. Any sites that matter will have standard output, which will be a win-win for everyone except Adobe.

When the iPhone was released, YouTube announced they'd reconfigure their content to be compatible with the iPhone, BBC has also added itself to the list along with ESPN, and numerous other sources. Others will follow.

So why are we still discussing this issue?

Is Flash really still that relevant?

Why?
  • Reply 50 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by georgetang View Post

After moving to the US, I've notice AT&T and most other T-Mobile, etc. are charging customer for tethering?

T-Mobile doesn't charge for tethering.

I have had their $19.99 UNLIMITED data plan for my voice account for over 4 years now and I have always used it tethered to my laptop. (Sony Ericsson P802, P910 & P990 phones for anyone who cares)

ATT just likes to charge extra and tightly controls it.
  • Reply 51 of 86
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalMacRat View Post

T-Mobile doesn't charge for tethering.

I have had their $19.99 UNLIMITED data plan for my voice account for over 4 years now and I have always used it tethered to my laptop. (Sony Ericsson P802, P910 & P990 phones for anyone who cares)

ATT just likes to charge extra and tightly controls it.

Is it something like this plan? http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/c...for-Data-Cards

If not, could you supple link?
  • Reply 52 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Is it something like this plan? http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/c...for-Data-Cards

If not, could you supple link?

I can't find a direct link. The info shows when I log into my account as a voice add on service, and shows in a javascript window:

• Reply 53 of 86
    Quote:

I can't find a direct link. The info shows when I log into my account as a voice add on service, and shows in a javascript window:

Just as I suspected.

Your "$19.99 UNLIMITED data plan for my voice account for over 4 years now and I have always used it tethered to my laptop" only works via Wi-Fi.

As the plan clearly states, "Unlimited access available only on a T-Mobile HotSpot locations. All plans require a service agreement?Wi-Fi enabled device required."

If you want to use Edge or GPRS, you can add another $10 -$30/month plus 20¢ per minutes air time.

Again, there is no tethering plan that is free. It may appear so, but the services are either add-ons and prices openly charged or included in "Total" services plans where the up-charge is not itemized.

Ref: http://www.t-mobile.com/templates/fa...set=devicecomp
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Quote:

Just as I suspected.

Your "$19.99 UNLIMITED data plan for my voice account for over 4 years now and I have always used it tethered to my laptop" only works via Wi-Fi.

As the plan clearly states, "Unlimited access available only on a T-Mobile HotSpot locations. All plans require a service agreement?Wi-Fi enabled device required."

If you want to use Edge or GPRS, you can add another $10 -$30/month plus 20¢ per minutes air time.

Again, there is no tethering plan that is free. It may appear so, but the services are either add-ons and prices openly charged or included in "Total" services plans where the up-charge is not itemized.

Ref: http://www.t-mobile.com/templates/fa...set=devicecomp

Intentionally or otherwise, this is completely wrong. Your quote from the TMobile FAQ "Unlimited access available only on a T-Mobile HotSpot locations. All plans require a service agreement?Wi-Fi enabled device required." very clearly refers to their HotSpot Add-on Plan. Since it is called HotSpot Add-on Plan, it makes sense this plan applies to Hotspots. His plan, called T-Mobile Internet Add-On Plan, says the following "Unlimited access available only in the T-Mobile USA digital coverage area. All plans require a service agreement. Rates do not include taxes and fees. GPRS or EDGE device required." An honest reading of this obviously shows this refers to their digital coverage area and makes no mention of wifi. The only difference is that his bill says his T-Mobile Internet Add-On Plan is $19.99 and the page you linked to shows it as $29.99.

And of course there is no tethering plan that is free. The discussion is whether it is and whether it should be a part of a subscribed data plan. I would argue that of course it should be. If you pay for data, you should be allowed to use that data. You phone company doesn't tell you whom you are allowed to call. Does the carrier have the right to deny tethering? Of course they do. Is this justified? Not in my mind, since I am already paying for data. I pay for the city to provide water to my home. I would not accept them charging me extra if use it in a manner they felt they could gouge me a little extra for...it is already paid for.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    Quote:

Just as I suspected.

If you want to use Edge or GPRS, you can add another $10 -$30/month plus 20¢ per minutes air time

You suspect wrong.

As I have already stated. This is my GPRS/3G internet access. The Hotspot WiFi is bundled into it for free.

There are no extra fees or per minute connections. It is a flat fee. I use the data connection daily and there have never been any extra charges.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    Quote:

I pay for the city to provide water to my home. I would not accept them charging me extra if use it in a manner they felt they could gouge me a little extra for...it is already paid for.

I've seen this example happen though... try filling a swimming pool up in some cities around the country and they try to drag you over the coals.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    Quote:

You suspect wrong.

As I have already stated. This is my GPRS/3G internet access. The Hotspot WiFi is bundled into it for free.

There are no extra fees or per minute connections. It is a flat fee. I use the data connection daily and there have never been any extra charges.

Post all the rest of your Service Plan.
  • Reply 58 of 86
    Quote:

I've seen this example happen though... try filling a swimming pool up in some cities around the country and they try to drag you over the coals.

Then you would probably be going over some allotment. In my city they also imposed a watering ban for lawns during a particularly dry spell. They have since decided to make it permanent, allowing lawn watering only 1 day per week. I can accept this. This is a blanket limitation on usage, in this case to try to make the city more environmentally friendly. Fine. If they then said we could water our lawns for some extra fee, that would simply be gouging, as it would go against the initial premise of being green and would only be in place to grab extra revenue.

Similarly, if a carrier bans all tethering, that is their right. Perhaps because they are afraid their network infrastructure cannot support the load. If they then say, ok, everyone can tether as much as they want, within their data plan limits, but they want an extra $30 for this, this is again simply gouging.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    Quote:

Then you would probably be going over some allotment. In my city they also imposed a watering ban for lawns during a particularly dry spell. They have since decided to make it permanent, allowing lawn watering only 1 day per week. I can accept this. This is a blanket limitation on usage, in this case to try to make the city more environmentally friendly. Fine. If they then said we could water our lawns for some extra fee, that would simply be gouging, as it would go against the initial premise of being green and would only be in place to grab extra revenue.

Similarly, if a carrier bans all tethering, that is their right. Perhaps because they are afraid their network infrastructure cannot support the load. If they then say, ok, everyone can tether as much as they want, within their data plan limits, but they want an extra $30 for this, this is again simply gouging.

Well put.
  • Reply 60 of 86
    Quote:

You suspect wrong.

We may be talking the same thing. It could be that you maybe 'Grandfathered", i.e., the price you are paying, is contracted at the old amount. My evening and weekend rates, for example, starts at 6 pm and not the current 9 pm time now being offered, because of the 'grandfather clause'.

As such, for a new customer, T-Mobile's Internet Add-On Plan is $29.00 and does not include Wi-Fi which is another $20, over for every thing, i.e., unlimited internet, personal email and Wi-Fi is covered in the T-Mobile Total Internet plan.

In any event T-Mobile charges for tethering. One way or another, as do every wireless provider in the world charges everybody, either directly or indirectly.

P.S. There is a perception that tethering, instant messaging, etc., should be free. Keep in mind that both these services cause a significant drain on the wireless platform and require major resources. For example, instant messages nears the 100 billion mark/day today. It is costly because of the translations required to breach the different system structures out there, the massive amount of storing , licensing and terminal relaying that has to be in place to make the service 'instant'.