"Jesus Phone 3.0" touches diabetic blogger

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Na! You'd have been on the iPhone to tell your family as soon as it was over and never even noticed the style of the delivery. Come on, if the judge just told you the verdict was 'not guilty' would you want to debate his delivery?

He he, no, I would never argue with that delivery. But, it is rather short and he is not really selling anything. He has a captive audience - literally. But seriously, I may not have commented on the presentation if the news was overwhelmingly good or bad. But I have been in the 'presentation' business all my professional life and although I'd never slap my kid around for a bad presentation (there would be a LOT of slapping!) bad 'presentation' is unforgivable in a professional context.
  • Reply 82 of 109
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

I agree, Smule was COOL!

While I'm not really good, I blew away my relatives playing a few songs on the currently Smule. The best part was how much my wife's nephew loves Apple products. His mom works for Microsoft and he knows which one is better.

He is pissed that his mom won't let him by a Mac because he loves Garage Band and makes her very mad because he won't shut up about it after he's been to our house and created some ones using it and burns them to CD (as well as posting them on his website).

Another Microsoft tax - the cost of therapy that kid will have to go through because of his frustration with not being able to release his creativity.
  • Reply 83 of 109
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

He he, no, I would never argue with that delivery. But, it is rather short and he is not really selling anything. He has a captive audience - literally. But seriously, I may not have commented on the presentation if the news was overwhelmingly good or bad. But I have been in the 'presentation' business all my professional life and although I'd never slap my kid around for a bad presentation (there would be a LOT of slapping!) bad 'presentation' is unforgivable in a professional context.

Well I almost agree, especially about the captive audience:lol .... In fact I was on the internet immediately she finished sending info to a good friend with a daughter with diabetes, so come to think of it I did forget how bad it was.
  • Reply 84 of 109
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

The new US administration has a stated objective of reducing healthcare costs through

automation of medical records. Apple appears to be well positioned to profit from this

with the iPhone/iPod Touch.

2-3 years ago I remember reading reports of several hospitals in New England looking into using some form of PDA wireless system at least in areas like the ER and ICU where accuracy is key. The idea was that many problems with missed timings and dosage errors were caused by handwriting issues and using a computerized system removes that. plus a wi-fi system going right into the computers makes it easier to access prior treatments, order drugs from the pharmacy (where the computer there could pop up an immediate alert faster than someone could call, run back and forth), same for the blood bank and so on.

this would be an extension of such notions
  • Reply 85 of 109
    So, how exactly did iPhone OS 3.0 touch a diabetic blogger? Was there a piece of this "news" article that I missed? I don't see any quote from any blogger saying anything remotely similar to, "Thank you, Jesus phone!" It's not news. It's taking an old quote and putting it together with new news. Did the original blogger comment on the 3.0 software? Does he even know it exists? Does this site really have to try to invent "news" stories?

From what I read from various sites, 3.0 isn't going to magically turn the iPhone into blood glucose meter. You're still going to have to carry around whatever butt ugly meter your insurance pays for. It just means you'll have to carry around an iPod cable to make it communicate with the iPhone or hope it comes with Bluetooth to do it wireless. All it's going to be is monitoring software and that could well be a huge boon to diabetes patients. But again, it still doesn't solve the ugly designs of glucose meters. They could still look exactly like they do today.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darkestbeforedawn View Post

Once again a good piece from Prince McLean. It is odd how little has been made by other outlets on this part of the announcement. As I remember there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth when the SDK was announced and connecting peripherals was not permitted.

You must have a read a different article. Like most of Dilger's "news", it's 20% story and 80% filler where he goes on some tangent that has little to no connection to the original story. I'd imagine if I met him in person, he'd be one of those people you describe as "being in love with the sound of their own voice." This article wasn't even 20% story though. As far the article shows, the original blogger has made no response to the iPhone 3.0 software. So saying it "touched" him is complete and utter BS. But what more would you expect from Dilger?
  • Reply 87 of 109
    It's too bad that several of the comments criticize the presenter or discount this product, because it does not meet a need for them. My wife and I were very excited by this presentation. She has type two diabetes and has to monitor, track, and record blood glucose levels, carefully manage food intake, and get regular exercise to keep her disease in check. We have even discussed buying an iPhone or iPod Touch just because of this application and the Pedometer application.

The potential to make life easier for diabetics is promising with this application. The only question I have is, does it work with meters other than the OneTouch? Hopefully, this will have a broader-base of appeal and help diabetics communicate more easily with there health care providers.

So, when is this going to be available? We want to be the first in line.
  • Reply 88 of 109
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Is it really necessary to use Christian language and imagery like this in a story on a new iPhone feature?

Get over it, I'm so sick of PC! (that would be Politically Correct, though I'm sick of both).
  • Reply 89 of 109
    Quote:

I think you will find the article was about debunking the use if that 'Christian language'. I agree with separation of church and technology! If not we'd still be in the dark ages!

Hate to burst your bubble but churches are among some of the fastest adopters Macs & OS X.

Religion is not to blame for lack of progress, stupid people are. Before you go spouting off something about the battle between the church & science (probably spouting something off about Darwin) remember that some of the greatest scientific minds have been deeply religious.

By the way, Hitler used Darwinian theory to justify the killing of the Jews. That doesn't make Darwin's theory evil, just Hitler.
  • Reply 90 of 109
    Quote:

You know we all expect such high standards at all Apple presentations, the bar is so amazingly high. Even a presentation that would be considered OK or even good at most such events appear as poor to us. We are spoiled

Ha, no joke, anyone ever seen a Microsoft event? Watching Balmer speak, talk about painful!
  • Reply 91 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daytonnaz View Post

It's too bad that several of the comments criticize the presenter or discount this product, because it does not meet a need for them. My wife and I were very excited by this presentation. She has type two diabetes ...

Criticizing the presentation is valid regardless. In fact, I'd argue that if you were excited by this product you'd have all the more reason to criticize the presentation.

As for discounting the product - did anyone do that or did they just say it was not for them? I can't be bothered to read back through the thread but I tend to feel that if they discounted the product because of the presentation it reflects worse on the presentation than on the ones discounting the product. If they discounted the product because they are not diabetic they are just being narrow minded and juvenile. But I wouldn't expect a non diabetic to be terribly excited by this, regardless. Unless of course, the presentation was brilliant.
  • Reply 92 of 109
    I'm an out-of-work programmer trying to learn Objective-C and Xcode so that I can produce an app for the App Store. I was very interested in what Apple would demonstrate for the upcoming release. When I saw the presentation for a new use of the dock connector using Diabetes as an example, I was blown away. I immediately saw that anything today that can send information from a machine to a display screen is open for this use. Plugging into car computers to email the results to your mechanic. Data from home appliances can be saved and later emailed to whomever it may concern. The medical industry will eat this up for all the uses it can have.

There have been many positive comments about this change. But there has also been many comments hung up on presentation, religion or anything else to help stray from the topic. I normally just read the comments and just ignore all the negative babble that people seem to enjoy spouting that has anything to do with Apple. I've never seen a company generate so much envy or out and out hatred as Apple seems to generate. Nothing they do seems to be enough. They are a company trying to bring the best products to market that will help to make a profit for them. But they also are a company that seems to establish new frontiers that can move the system in a positive light. Let's for once give them credit for coming up with a good idea that can move the computer industry forward in a positive way.

This is my first post to Apple Insider. I couldn't let the detractors go on and on about trivial things when the important point to realize is the communication of information has been opened up to new and exciting possibilities. Please remember that.
  • Reply 93 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Hate to burst your bubble but churches are among some of the fastest adopters Macs & OS X.

Religion is not to blame for lack of progress, stupid people are. Before you go spouting off something about the battle between the church & science (probably spouting something off about Darwin) remember that some of the greatest scientific minds have been deeply religious.

By the way, Hitler used Darwinian theory to justify the killing of the Jews. That doesn't make Darwin's theory evil, just Hitler.

God created Mac but OSX is Darwinian. Really. The world began in 1984.
  • Reply 94 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Fair point but learn what "ignoble" means - the opposite of what you think.

I think #2 would apply in this case (thank you spotlight dictionary). Can an idea, ideal be ignoble... sure why not?

1 not honorable in character or purpose : ignoble feelings of intense jealousy.

2 of humble origin or social status : ignoble savages.

DERIVATIVES

ignobility |ˌignōˈbilitē| |ɪgˈnoʊˈbɪlədi| |-nəˈbɪlɪti| noun

ignobly |-blē| |ɪgˈnoʊbli| adverb

ORIGIN late Middle English (sense 2) : from French, or from Latin ignobilis, from in- ‘not’ + gnobilis, older form of nobilis ‘noble.’
  • Reply 95 of 109
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Too late - I already invoked Godwin back at # 72.

And for the record, Hitler was a Christian.

(Man, I can't wait until an article shows up here using the word 'Allah'.)
  • Reply 96 of 109
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MeCourious View Post

I'm an out-of-work programmer trying to learn Objective-C and Xcode so that I can produce an app for the App Store. ... When I saw [this], I was blown away. I immediately saw that anything today that can send information from a machine to a display screen is open for this use...

This is my first post to Apple Insider. I couldn't let the detractors go on and on about trivial things when the important point to realize is the communication of information has been opened up to new and exciting possibilities. Please remember that.

Hey, it's people like yourself who make me glad to read and comment on AI articles.
  • Reply 97 of 109
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daytonnaz View Post

It's too bad that several of the comments criticize the presenter or discount this product, because it does not meet a need for them. My wife and I were very excited by this presentation. She has type two diabetes and has to monitor, track, and record blood glucose levels, carefully manage food intake, and get regular exercise to keep her disease in check. We have even discussed buying an iPhone or iPod Touch just because of this application and the Pedometer application.

The potential to make life easier for diabetics is promising with this application. The only question I have is, does it work with meters other than the OneTouch? Hopefully, this will have a broader-base of appeal and help diabetics communicate more easily with there health care providers.

So, when is this going to be available? We want to be the first in line.

Who knows. FDA approval takes forever and a day. Presumably J&J can work through approval but don't expect your average app store dev to be able to do so.
  • Reply 98 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Who knows. FDA approval takes forever and a day. Presumably J&J can work through approval but don't expect your average app store dev to be able to do so.

1)"Your average app store dev" won't make apps for such specialized devices. J&J will code software specially for its devices.

2) FDA approval is needed for new devices. iPhone is not medical equipment.

3)iPhone is just a peripheral for reading medical data. J&J only need to re-manufacture existing devices with a 30 pin and code a new app for the iPhone.
  • Reply 99 of 109
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

1)"Your average app store dev" won't make apps for such specialized devices. J&J will code software specially for its devices.

2) FDA approval is needed for new devices. iPhone is not medical equipment.

3)iPhone is just a peripheral for reading medical data. J&J only need to re-manufacture existing devices with a 30 pin and code a new app for the iPhone.

Quote:

FDA Clears Accu-Chek Palm OS Diabetes Care Software

By PDAStreet.com Staff

June 17, 2002

Roche Diagnostics recently announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has cleared its new Accu-Chek Pocket Compass Diabetes Care software. The application is designed to help people with diabetes and their healthcare providers better manage the disease, tracks trends in blood glucose (or "sugar") levels by storing and analyzing up to 1,000 blood glucose readings from a Palm OS device.

Because Accu-Chek Pocket Compass works on a handheld computer, the company said users can record information on the spot, taking the information with them anywhere, including their physicians' offices. Those who have the Accu-Chek Compact or Accu-Chek Active blood glucose monitoring systems can use built-in infrared technology to "beam" data directly to their handheld computers.

Accu-Chek Pocket Compass Diabetes Care Software provides 15 customizable and easy-to-understand reports, graphs and charts. Besides blood glucose data, the software allows users to collect insulin, meal and exercise information and track A1c, ketones and blood pressure.

Accu-Chek Pocket Compass Diabetes Care Software is available now.

http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/20...ears-Accu.html

Quote:

MINNEAPOLIS -- Medtronic, Inc. (NYSE: MDT) today announced that the FDA has cleared the OneTouch([R]) UltraLink[TM] Meter as the new wireless meter exclusively certified by Medtronic to wirelessly communicate with Medtronic diabetes management products in the United States. This new meter uses Medtronic-certified wireless technology to transmit glucose readings directly to MiniMed Paradigm([R]) insulin pumps and the Guardian([R]) REAL-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring System. This makes bolus dosing more accurate and easier for patients compared to the manual entry of blood glucose readings.

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-...0181204-1.html

Quote:

Medical Decisions Network (MDN) announces Food and Drug Administration 510(k) clearance for the company's MDN-CGS IV Insulin Dosing Software. The MDN-CGS software is used by hospital nurses to quickly and accurately calculate the dosage of intravenous insulin administered to patients with elevated levels of blood glucose, the simple form of sugar the body converts to energy for survival.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86043.php

1) This kind of software capbility is not new.

2) FDA approval is needed.

3) FDA approval is time consuming, expensive and a real pain in the ass. If folks are wondering why some programs never got ported to the Mac, this is why.

Here's are a sample of a few companies that will "help" you. It's not cheap.

http://www.klocwork.com/solutions/fd...FQrAGgodCzif7g

Quote:

Because of staff overload, FDA sometimes takes many months to review a 510(k); this can result in lost sales. FDA has authorized a small number of outside organizations (called "Accredited Persons" or third parties) to serve as alternative primary reviewers of many 510(k)s. These third-party reviewers have shown that they can usually do the job faster than their FDA counterparts—our record is 22 days, including the final FDA decision time!

http://www.citechtest.com/510(k).html

In other words...pay us $$$ or wait freaking months as your 510K paperwork sits in some pile on some desk somewhere.

This is an example of how much of a pain in the ass it can be if you have to meet Part 11 compliance:

Hardware Development: 15 man weeks

Software Specification: 1 man week.

System validation protocols: 101 man weeks.

16 weeks to build the damn thing. 101 weeks (of effort...not time although I bet it took a freaking long time too) to get through the FDA wickets.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/AC/...07_Hammond.ppt

Recertifying an insulin device to talk to the iPhone may take a lot longer than you think.

Fortunately I don't work in the medical software field and I stay the hell away for a good reason.
  • Reply 100 of 109
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/20...ears-Accu.html

http://www.allbusiness.com/medicine-...0181204-1.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/86043.php

1) This kind of software capbility is not new.

2) FDA approval is needed.

3) FDA approval is time consuming, expensive and a real pain in the ass. If folks are wondering why some programs never got ported to the Mac, this is why.

Here's are a sample of a few companies that will "help" you. It's not cheap.

http://www.klocwork.com/solutions/fd...FQrAGgodCzif7g

http://www.citechtest.com/510(k).html

In other words...pay us $$$ or wait freaking months as your 510K paperwork sits in some pile on some desk somewhere.

This is an example of how much of a pain in the ass it can be if you have to meet Part 11 compliance:

Hardware Development: 15 man weeks

Software Specification: 1 man week.

System validation protocols: 101 man weeks.

16 weeks to build the damn thing. 101 weeks (of effort...not time although I bet it took a freaking long time too) to get through the FDA wickets.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/AC/...07_Hammond.ppt

Recertifying an insulin device to talk to the iPhone may take a lot longer than you think.

Fortunately I don't work in the medical software field and I stay the hell away for a good reason.

Thanks for the interesting post. I'm sure I will think of it the next time I hear some

politician blathering about the desirability of shrinking the size of government.