Source: Apple's next-gen iPhone has video camera

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

... My Nokia 6500 Slide has a 3.2MP camera with better than average lens, and that's a cheapy phone and a year old. ....

The megapixel rating is almost useless though.

The latest Nokia for instance takes 15 megapixel images, but the ones published so far are grainy, high contrast and definitely of a lower quality than the current iphone snaps. they are just bigger low quality images is all.

As you say yourself, it's the lens that makes the difference, and I would add the post processing as well.
  • Reply 22 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iChat AV on a phone, so fucking useless. I can see the lawsuits now!

Why is it fucking useless and where are the lawsuits? Video chatting on a phone is very popular.

http://www.qik.com/

http://www.stickam.com/mobile.do
  • Reply 23 of 128
    gabesgabes Posts: 1member
  • Reply 24 of 128
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:

It's not only about the camera, you need more RAM and a faster proc to compress the video. New hardware is needed.

I don't know if you're aware of the fact that jail-broken iPhones already capture video with sound, I've tried it myself the quality is more than adequate.
  • Reply 25 of 128
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troyallen23 View Post

Why is it fucking useless and where are the lawsuits?

It only takes one person walking down the road making a video call who gets knocked down by a moving vehicle for the first lawsuit, and it will happen. That much is plainly obvious. Generally speaking people don't want to look at the other person when talking to them on the phone, no matter how Apple tries to market the feature. There are no real benefits at all. If you really want to look at the other person, you have a computer. Video calling is stupid.
  • Reply 26 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I don't know if you're aware of the fact that jail-broken iPhones already capture video with sound, I've tried it myself the quality is more than adequate.

Adequate? Not on your nelly. I tried to Record Leonard Cohen from the 10th Row at a seated concert using all of them, the results were useless. Having a feature is one thing, doing it right is a whole 'nother game. Technically speaking the nano can play movies, but the experience is crap, so no one uses them for video.
  • Reply 27 of 128
    Quote:

It only takes one person walking down the road making a video call who gets knocked down by a moving vehicle for the first lawsuit, and it will happen. That much is plainly obvious. Generally speaking people don't want to look at the other person when talking to them on the phone, no matter how Apple tries to market the feature. There are no real benefits at all. If you really want to look at the other person, you have a computer. Video calling is stupid.

Sorry, people including Lep Laporte, Sarah Austin, Justin ( from Justin.tv) and IJustine has been video blogging on laptops for years. Mobile lifecasting And now it will be on the iPhone. Plus, Now there is an App for Ustream chatting on the Apple store. Alot of people are waiting for flash too on the iPhone for video broadcasting. Again, video lifecasting, chat and blogging is getting popular

Accidents and lawsuits can happen even if someone lights up a cigarette and doesn't look. And who says you have to drive. But, you have a right to your own opinion.
  • Reply 28 of 128
    Quote:

Sorry, people including Lep Laporte, Justin and IJustine has been video blogging on laptops for years. And now it will be on the iPhone.

Good God please don't bring them on us like that. You think we could handle that?

Thanks for telling me my rights btw. Welcome to the forums.
  • Reply 29 of 128
    Quote:

Good God please don't bring them on us like that. You think we could handle that?

Thanks for telling me my rights btw. Welcome to the forums.

Sorry, I don't understand why you are attacking me. I just replied to your comment that people want it and gave you examples how people are using it and showing you websites. You don't want video chatting on your iPhone, move on.
  • Reply 30 of 128
    Quote:

Sorry, I don't understand why you are attacking me. I just replied to your comment that people want it and gave you examples. You don't want video chatting on the iPhone, move on.

You'll get used to it round here. Wasn't attacking you. It's a useless feature though. If they add it it will be for nonsense marketing reasons, which everyone will go crazy for, but when the dust settles very few will use the feature.
  • Reply 31 of 128
    I hope it's 5 megapixels. I fear it won't be.

Video will probably be 640x480.

I expect a feature to send directly to youtube/flickr/facebook.

People will complain that it won't have manual controls like brightness, contrast, iso settings etc.
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silicon_dioxide View Post

I hope it's 5 megapixels. I fear it won't be.

Video will probably be 640x480.

I expect a feature to send directly to youtube/flickr/facebook.

People will complain that it won't have manual controls like brightness, contrast, iso settings etc.

If the camera is good and does video and takes great stills people can get an app for color and stuff. Good hardware is what we want.
  • Reply 33 of 128
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Video chatting on a phone is very popular.

http://www.qik.com/

http://www.stickam.com/mobile.do

Do we know it's popular by people other than the technologically plugged-in internet stars?

I know that Apple will include video at some time. I am skeptical that it will be anything other than a novelty for a good while.
  • Reply 34 of 128
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    People complain about the 3G network now? Wait until people start clogging it up trying to transfer video files. That's a brilliant idea.
  • Reply 35 of 128
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

I completely agree that video calling is a non-feature. But it doesn't get lawsuits. It's been available on about 50% of all phones in the UK since ~2004, and nobody's sued any of the phone companies for it.

Of course, that may be because nobody uses it...

Amorya
  • Reply 36 of 128
    Quote:

Most people would prefer a camera that's better at taking stills. Video is a marketing thing as far as I'm concerned. Aside from the obvious YouTube benefits.

I agree.

Some video would be nice, but I think the cam should be aimed at stills. It is difficult for even much larger, more expensive, dedicated cameras to do both well: Canon's HFS10 (played with one yesterday for a few hours) takes excellent video, OK stills; Canon's G10 takes excellent stills, OK video.

Stills are much easier to work with, from actually taking the photo to looking at it. Sure, video has its great points (part of my job is working with video), but if I had to choose between two cameras, I would get a good still camera.
  • Reply 37 of 128
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    for me

i'd trade video capability for VOICE DIALING and better bluetooth support for a keyboard

i would use voice dialing every hour, video once a month or two
  • Reply 38 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

for me

i'd trade video capability for VOICE DIALING and better bluetooth support for a keyboard

i would use voice dialing every hour, video once a month or two

How could they implement voice dialing. They would need another physical button or add an additional role to a curent physical buttons. Making it a SW button defeats the purpose.

The sleep and home buttons aren't well positioned for this feature, IMO. The volume buttons are but holding down the volume buttons for an extended period is already in use. I've tried to hold both buttons at once in the middle and this wouldn't work unless the button was altered.

There is also the lock toggle switch. I think it would be just about ideal if it were made into a button that not only toggles lock/unlock but could be depressed. The position is great for a right-handed person as it's near the index finger when holding the device in portrait mode. If it's in your pocket that button would be near the top and easy to feel for.

I think a much better solution is video dialing. Screw voice dialing! You click the camera app and make a certain face that is interrupted to mean you wish to call a certain person. The way that iPhoto '09 works.
  • Reply 39 of 128
    My present Treo 700p does video. I use it sometimes, and it's OK as is, low quality. So, if the next iPhone does as good, or better then that, I'd be happy! And, if it can post to YouTube on the go, even happier.

For me, a True Spotlight Global Search on iPhone is a bigger PRIORITY, and it's supposedly is coming as such.

Cut-Copy-Paste is finally coming too, but the MOST important for me is to be able to Sync my Text back and forth! That's how it is my my present Treo 700p - Memos Sync between Treo and my Powerbook G4/Palm Desktop. So, if iPhone could do that, and I could take my Treo/Palm Desktop Memos to iPhone, I'D BE SO HAPPY!!!!

Back to Video -- there are sometimes little precious moments in life, where it's not the quality, but the event/content that I'd love to capture on video. So, for me, ANY VIDEO on iPhone would be great! But, first I want the ability to Sync Memos. And, if those Memos could be attached to Contacts on iPhone, as it's possible to do on Palm Desktop + Entourage, among other PIM's on Mac, that would be FANTASTIC! To me, that TEXT SYNCING - Free standing Memos, not the Note Field of a Contact, Word Docs etc - that's THE BIGGEST PRIORITY!

BTW, one more off topic thing: if iPhone is lost, one should be able to call the phone company and have them wipe it, to protect personal data. Is that feature available? If not, it should be, cause Security-Privacy should be IMPORTANT to all!

Other than that, these Forums are GREAT! For the most part people are respectful, and that's nice to see... THANKS EVERYONE! I also hope that Apple is monitoring these discussions...
  • Reply 40 of 128
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

BTW, one more off topic thing: if iPhone is lost, one should be able to call the phone company and have them wipe it, to protect personal data. Is that feature available? If not, it should be, cause Security-Privacy should be IMPORTANT to all!

I think that will become commonplace with phones in the future. Simply because we'll have so much personal data on them and are more likely to misplace them than a PC. I believe you can wipe if you are tied to an Exchange server.

I was surprised that it wasn't part of the new MobileMe service that allows you to geo-locate your iPhone if you have misplaced it. I had been hoping for both of these features and suggested that MM be the place that Apple could put them to help make their online service more attractive. Secure wipe is more important to me than the geo-locating, but I am still glad to be getting it.