Apple announces Cross Border ordering to 20 countries

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can't find any reliable looking source on the history of the White House that confirms that. Do you have a link so we can read up on it.

I know how much that stings but I can't help but laugh at your pain.

hahahaha
  • Reply 42 of 71
    Oh really? No, they do not really ship across the border, they just 'allow' you to send some one in let?s say the Netherlands an iPod Nano or so. Well thank you for that Apple! You would have to speak Dutch though, since you are linked to the Dutch Apple website.

The cross-border statement really is false. If Europeans want to buy from the US Apple site to take advantage of the weak dollar, it is still only a service like US Unlocked that will enable that. Truthfully, the dollar is not weak enough at this point to be an advantage. Analysts, however foresee a new big dip in the dollar value soon. When that happens count on US Unlocked for the cross-border purchase and not on Apple!
  • Reply 43 of 71
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Malaysia is on that list! w00t. That's where I am now. Now doing the math to see if I get someone from the US to send it over... Hmm... nope not that much better a deal from buying direct from Apple Store Malaysia. Ah well. F**K Apple. I hear Samsung, LG and Dell make a mean 22" screen. That's probably my next "Tech" purchase. Possibly.

Canadians, don't worry, I'm not Muslim but living in a Muslim-majority country so we're all terrorists too.

You f*king burned down the White House once? I didn't know that. Tsk Tsk. Send more bacon over to Washington DC for reparations. Say, over the next 20 years. Then maybe Apple will treat you better. Edit: send Vegan Canadian Bacon.

(Argh! The bacon joke is way overdone in general!)
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindavs View Post

Oh really? No, they do not really ship across the border, they just 'allow' you to send some one in let?s say the Netherlands an iPod Nano or so. Well thank you for that Apple! You would have to speak Dutch though, since you are linked to the Dutch Apple website.

The cross-border statement really is false. If Europeans want to buy from the US Apple site to take advantage of the weak dollar, it is still only a service like US Unlocked that will enable that. Truthfully, the dollar is not weak enough at this point to be an advantage. Analysts, however foresee a new big dip in the dollar value soon. When that happens count on US Unlocked for the cross-border purchase and not on Apple!

American Express in several countries has a service for those outside the US to purchase from Apple USA. But yeah, US currency is too strong now so you get whacked on the currency conversions anyway.

APPLE YOU SHOULD CONSIDER DROPPING PRICES JUST SLIGHTLY. IN THE US AND INTERNATIONALLY. THANK YOU.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Just blame the British for everything! Simple solution. Darn' British Empire ~ messed up (yet brought "progress"???) to large parts of the world. Sometimes it is hard to imagine, after just several centuries, *billions* of people can speak a language that originated in a relatively very, very small country. Nowadays, England is... for me, I'm wasn't *too* impressed, if nothing else the weather is totally horrible. Very good British-produced meat, vegetables and food products though. BTW London is a depressing, super-crowded city. IMHO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Also, the idea of "we" vs. "they" is usually silly for most people on any time scale. Even sillier when it's many generations ago. My ancestors certainly had nothing to do with that, their families immigrated early in the last century.

Someone thinking about it probably could have realized this given how viral smear emails had gotten major traction during the campaigns. Still, hindsight is 20-20.

• Reply 46 of 71
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Dear Canada,

We'll gladly give you all our Apple stores and perks in exchange for your banking system.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Dear Canada,

We'll gladly give you all our Apple stores and perks in exchange for your banking system.

Why would we want your Apple stores? Macs are cheaper here.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

Dear Canada,

Don't do us any favours!

Why would we want your Apple stores? Macs are cheaper here. Way cheaper!

For example, a Macbook Pro 15' lists for $1999 in the US or $1743 (US) in Canada.

But I sure wished you had our banking system too.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Too bad Japan isn't on this list. Apple products are overpriced here going strictly by exchange rates.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Shoot - looks like it was an urban myth, the white house was white as early as 1798...

Maybe it was just a warm glow.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Let me get this straight. You live in the European Union and get all the social perks of it; and somehow magically thought you could bypass the VAT?

Amazing.

Norway is not part of EU, sir.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Just blame the British for everything! Simple solution. Darn' British Empire ~ messed up (yet brought "progress"???) to large parts of the world. Sometimes it is hard to imagine, after just several centuries, *billions* of people can speak a language that originated in a relatively very, very small country. Nowadays, England is... for me, I'm wasn't *too* impressed, if nothing else the weather is totally horrible. Very good British-produced meat, vegetables and food products though. BTW London is a depressing, super-crowded city. IMHO.

England does not equal Britain. England is not a country, it is part of of the UK. Just as individual US states are not countries.

And yes, our food is better than american homone injected meat and GM crops
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subversive_element View Post

England does not equal Britain. England is not a country, it is part of of the UK. Just as individual US states are not countries.

According to this UK government website, the UK is a single sovereign state, but it is composed of four constituent "countries": England, Scotland, Wales, (all mostly located on the Island of Great Britain) and Northern Ireland.

link
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by subversive_element View Post

I hope that you are joking. If not, then you are obviously missinformed.

I'm in the last year of a PhD in animal nutrition and I can assure you that the tales of hormone use in American animal production are greatly exagerated.

1. The most wide spread use of hormones is for synchronizing estrous (Breeding animals, not destined for your dinner plate any time soon) and is equivalent to the Pill for cows.

2. Second is probably rBST which is a hormone normally found in the cow and increases milk production. Levels of BST in milk are unchaged due to the increase in volume of milk production (direct injection of rBST into humans has no effect at any dose). When used you can actually produce more milk/cow you end up with less environmental impact overall (it's more Green than putting Corn Ethanol in your gas tank).

3. Poultry are never injected with hormones, contrary to widespread FUD comming from ALF, PETA, and the rest. (Who in their right mind would want to individually inject 100,000 birds in the average midwest broiler barn.)

4. Swine are also never injected with hormones because they have such a short gestation period and produce so many offspring per litter (10-15 depending on the quality of the genetics/management) unlike cattle with 1 offspring/year.

5. I have less direct experience with the grain industry, but I have seen some of the research involved in getting approval for GM crops and it is pretty extensive. If GM were the devil everyone makes it out to be, I'm sure someone would have actually found a disease caused by it in the last several decades.

Ultimately these GM and Hormone arguments break down to FUD created by those trying to protect their market from outside competition (I'm looking at You EU). Just because something has the potential to be dangerous doesn't mean that the potential cannot be evaluated and managed. We do it all the time with cars, planes, prescription drugs, etc. However, by outlawing practices common somewhere else based on fear, you can keep your production costs high due to a lack of competition no matter what the data actually says.

IMHO, the anti-GM lobby in the EU is the equivalent of the anti-evolution lobby here in the US. Both proceed from the absolut conviction that they are correct based on an emotional decision and refuse to be swayed by any data that contradicts their firmly held emotional beliefs.

On another note, the white house was originally red brick IIRC, but after they british by way of Canada torched it, it was painted white to cover the scorch marks on the brick. Before the paint job it was called the presidential pallace, but no one liked that name because it smacked too much of royalty. That's why people started calling it the White House, post painting. It made it sound more like a normal home, and less like the residence of royalty.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

According to this UK government website, the UK is a single sovereign state, but it is composed of four constituent "countries": England, Scotland, Wales, (all mostly located on the Island of Great Britain) and Northern Ireland.

link

By country I refer to sovereign state. My point was the terms Britain/British are not interchangable with England/English. They are not the same thing.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

American Express in several countries has a service for those outside the US to purchase from Apple USA. But yeah, US currency is too strong now so you get whacked on the currency conversions anyway.

Except that Apple has a policy of not shipping to address forwarding services because of "fraud."
  • Reply 57 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sreehemanth View Post

All:

I am writing this piece of information to mention that I have actually had a problem with this cross border online purchasing.

the problem was that you were probably asking to do it before the various tax, customs etc laws and deals were worked out. so at that point there was nothing they could do.

thanks to people like you trying they put forth the effort to start such a program. it's not perfect cause some country are harder to play with but at least Apple is trying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post

I know Apple definitely aren't stupid - but for some reason I got my hopes up, for a fraction of a second, that I could get somebody in the U.S. to buy me a Mac Pro and have it delivered to me here in Norway and that it would be billed in U.S. dollars.

it will be charged the same as if it was bought in the country it is being shipped to. including any taxes.

what they will likely do is have the order fulfilled as if it was ordered in Norway so they can avoid any customs and part of the shipping costs, but that's all they can cut out of the deal.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sreehemanth View Post

my happiness with this offer does not last a few seconds... damn! they "STILL" don't support this offer with Australia!!!!.:

which may have more to do with Australia than with Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lindavs View Post

If Europeans want to buy from the US Apple site to take advantage of the weak dollar, it is still only a service like US Unlocked that will enable that. Truthfully, the dollar is not weak enough at this point to be an advantage. Analysts, however foresee a new big dip in the dollar value soon. When that happens count on US Unlocked for the cross-border purchase and not on Apple!

Except that Apple has a policy of not shipping to address forwarding services because of "fraud."
  • Reply 59 of 71
    jarmanjarman Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

on behalf of other canadians, i sincerely apologize to our vegan 'dear leader' for canadian bacon. what else could it be?

You forget that Glenn Gould used to cancel concerts in the US at the last minute
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crmarvin42 View Post

I hope that you are joking. If not, then you are obviously missinformed.

I'm in the last year of a PhD in animal nutrition and I can assure you that the tales of hormone use in American animal production are greatly exagerated.

Ultimately these GM and Hormone arguments break down to FUD created by those trying to protect their market from outside competition (I'm looking at You EU). Just because something has the potential to be dangerous doesn't mean that the potential cannot be evaluated and managed. We do it all the time with cars, planes, prescription drugs, etc. However, by outlawing practices common somewhere else based on fear, you can keep your production costs high due to a lack of competition no matter what the data actually says.

IMHO, the anti-GM lobby in the EU is the equivalent of the anti-evolution lobby here in the US. Both proceed from the absolut conviction that they are correct based on an emotional decision and refuse to be swayed by any data that contradicts their firmly held emotional beliefs...

Don't be too confident of Science. Have you done much Genetics subjects? Not meaning to sound insulting, I'm only a holder of a Bachelor's degree in Science, nothing more, but the literature continues to evolve on the process of GM. I'm far from the academic world but there are papers that show that random insertion of genes into a particular crop genome is not always reliable,etc. What I'm saying is yes emotion is driving anti-GM but the science of genetics (remember when they said most of DNA is junk DNA?) is continually evolving. Today's FUD may be FUD but several years of research may prove otherwise, possibly too late. First it was "w00t we can sequence an entire genome", then it was, "oh but *protein expression* is the thing that's important, not just genetics"... then "oh, but what controls protein expression, hmm... some other stuff in the DNA...".

Yes, emotion tells me big corporations with unclear intentions and promises of "super crops" and so on... well, emotion tells me since when did humans know WTF we're doing anyways. W00t for antibiotics but look at MRSA (resistant strains etc.) and so on.

I've perhaps said too much, and won't normally support such thread derailing... Next after my environmental beliefs, well, you probably wouldn't want to know my spiritual beliefs, on "all this is not really real anyway..."