Apple announces Cross Border ordering to 20 countries

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday quietly introduced its new Cross Border campaign, which allows US-based customers to make purchases for recipients located in Mexico, 15 countries across Europe, and 4 countries in Southeast Asia.

The move means, for example, that parents in the US can now purchase a new Mac for their son or daughter who may be studying abroad in the UK or France. Prior to this week, it was not possible for customers to purchase Apple products -- either online or by phone -- for delivery to a different country.

The Cupertino-based company is currently guaranteeing door-to-door delivery of products ordered in the US to 20 countries including: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.

Canada remains conspicuously absent from the list.

"Now it's easy to give iPod and Mac gifts to friends and family in Mexico, Europe, and Southeast Asia. Simply visit the Apple Online Store of the destination country," Apple says. "If you don't speak the language, no problem. Just place your order with an Apple Online Store expert."

All cross border orders will be billed in the currency of the destination country at an exchange rate that will be determined by the purcheser's bank at the time the order is settled. Credit cards -- Visa, MasterCard, and American Express -- are the only payment types eligible for international billing. Debit cards and other forms of payment are not eligible.

Additional details on Apple's Cross Border international gift-giving campaign are available here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Yawn....

If they allowed buying from another country's iTunes store, now that would be something.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

If they allowed buying from another country's iTunes store, now that would be something.

That's not Apple's decision to make; it's the content providers'.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    Just send the kid the money....and hope they buy the computer.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    i swear steve jobs hates canada.

we waited forever for the iphone, the canadian itunes store still sucks, we never get access to the same 'special deals' in the online store, despite the fact that orders ship from california anyway, the list goes on...

on behalf of other canadians, i sincerely apologize to our vegan 'dear leader' for canadian bacon. what else could it be?

• Reply 5 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

i swear steve jobs hates canada.

we waited forever for the iphone, the canadian itunes store still sucks, we never get access to the same 'special deals' in the online store, despite the fact that orders ship from california anyway, the list goes on...

on behalf of other canadians, i sincerely apologize to our vegan 'dear leader' for canadian bacon. what else could it be?

Different countries have different economies with different laws governing how they operate. The iTunes Store situation is about copyrights, not a CEO's disdain for his Northern neighbors. The lack of 'special deals' is probably because you burned down our White House once. Canadians = Terrorists.
  • Reply 6 of 71
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Different countries have different economies with different laws governing how they operate. The iTunes Store situation is about copyrights, not a CEO's disdain for his Northern neighbors. The lack of 'special deals' is probably because you burned down our White House once. Canadians = Terrorists.

At least we are the only country that can say they handed the USA it's ass on a plate in an all out war.

Seriously though, the poster has a point. There are more Apple stores in some European countries (that weren't even countries a while ago) than there are in Canada. We have huge cities with double and triple the amount of customers in some of the tiny Southern USA cities that have multiple Apple stores as well.

Apple's service to Canada really does suck relative to other countries. Never really sure why, and I know that Steve Jobs has nothing to do with it, but it's true.
  • Reply 7 of 71
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member
    I assume Canada is left out because we can just get our American friends to purchase at American prices and pay less tax for an overall cheaper price that we would pay going through the Canadian Apple store?
  • Reply 8 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I assume Canada is left out because we can just get our American friends to purchase at American prices and pay less tax for an overall cheaper price that we would pay going through the Canadian Apple store?

This is the obvious and sane explanation.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post

This is the obvious and sane explanation.

Sanity, who needs it?
  • Reply 10 of 71
    htoellehtoelle Posts: 89member
    I am a Canadian Apple user. Unfortunately it does not surprise me that Canada is not in on this. The Rule goes something like this. " If it will benefit anyone in Canada and Canada does not get the dollars (deserved or undeserved) then Canada will not sign on. That is why we are always going across the border to buy major items or find some way of getting it here. Ashamed to say we have some narrow minded leaders in so many areas. Have you heard of "Free Trade" it is just fine as long as Canada comes out ahead.

Just 2 cents worth.

HT
  • Reply 11 of 71
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

That's not Apple's decision to make; it's the content providers'.

I know.. Just sayin' is all.
  • Reply 12 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Tuesday quietly introduced its new Cross Border campaign, which allows US-based customers to make purchases for recipients located in Mexico, 15 countries across Europe, and 4 countries in Southeast Asia.

The move means, for example, that parents in the US can now purchase a new Mac for their son or daughter who may be studying abroad in the UK or France. Prior to this week, it was not possible for customers to purchase Apple products -- either online or by phone -- for delivery to a different country.

The Cupertino-based company is currently guaranteeing door-to-door delivery of products ordered in the US to 20 countries including: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Philippines, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.

Canada remains conspicuously absent from the list.

"Now it's easy to give iPod and Mac gifts to friends and family in Mexico, Europe, and Southeast Asia. Simply visit the Apple Online Store of the destination country," Apple says. "If you don't speak the language, no problem. Just place your order with an Apple Online Store expert."

All cross border orders will be billed in the currency of the destination country at an exchange rate that will be determined by the purcheser's bank at the time the order is settled. Credit cards -- Visa, MasterCard, and American Express -- are the only payment types eligible for international billing. Debit cards and other forms of payment are not eligible.

Additional details on Apple's Cross Border international gift-giving campaign are available here.

All:

I am writing this piece of information to mention that I have actually had a problem with this cross border online purchasing.

When I had spoken to several Apple associates and/or admins on this regard, the answer was, too reclusive, "that is the policy".

I had quite long discussions with these people and explained them the simple logic behind this requirement and how it would help people if that service is offered.

I have also posted my experiences with this situation previously.

I am happy now, this is the "EXACT" answer that I have been looking for... a long long time!!

BTW, I am thinking I am one of the reasons that this, finally finally, happened!

way to go Apple!!
  • Reply 13 of 71
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

Yawn....

True, but doing so is still very easy to accomplish.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    I know Apple definitely aren't stupid - but for some reason I got my hopes up, for a fraction of a second, that I could get somebody in the U.S. to buy me a Mac Pro and have it delivered to me here in Norway and that it would be billed in U.S. dollars.

That would be cool - because an 8-core Mac Pro (2.26GHz) with 16GB RAM and the ATI graphics card costs (with today's exchange rate) $5,460 here in Norway, while in the American Apple Store it costs $4,049. Though, I'm not sure if VAT is included in the American price. The Norwegian price includes 25% VAT.

I'm saving to get one of those - and it would have been so cool if I could have saved over a thousand bucks on that monster. Oh well, I might as well wish I'd win the lottery...
  • Reply 15 of 71
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

It wasn't "The White House" when we burned it, it was painted pink. No lie.
  • Reply 16 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sreehemanth View Post

All:

I am writing this piece of information to mention that I have actually had a problem with this cross border online purchasing.

When I had spoken to several Apple associates and/or admins on this regard, the answer was, too reclusive, "that is the policy".

I had quite long discussions with these people and explained them the simple logic behind this requirement and how it would help people if that service is offered.

I have also posted my experiences with this situation previously.

I am happy now, this is the "EXACT" answer that I have been looking for... a long long time!!

BTW, I am thinking I am one of the reasons that this, finally finally, happened!

way to go Apple!!

my happiness with this offer does not last a few seconds... damn! they "STILL" don't support this offer with Australia!!!!............

I am so hating this "vague" approach by Apple...
  • Reply 17 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

I am a Canadian Apple user. Unfortunately it does not surprise me that Canada is not in on this. The Rule goes something like this. " If it will benefit anyone in Canada and Canada does not get the dollars (deserved or undeserved) then Canada will not sign on. That is why we are always going across the border to buy major items or find some way of getting it here. Ashamed to say we have some narrow minded leaders in so many areas. Have you heard of "Free Trade" it is just fine as long as Canada comes out ahead.

Just 2 cents worth.

HT

Bloody Canucks! Just kidding, of course.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    Cause us Europeans can't buy from the US store..
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDyndale View Post

I know Apple definitely aren't stupid - but for some reason I got my hopes up, for a fraction of a second, that I could get somebody in the U.S. to buy me a Mac Pro and have it delivered to me here in Norway and that it would be billed in U.S. dollars.

That would be cool - because an 8-core Mac Pro (2.26GHz) with 16GB RAM and the ATI graphics card costs (with today's exchange rate) $5,460 here in Norway, while in the American Apple Store it costs $4,049. Though, I'm not sure if VAT is included in the American price. The Norwegian price includes 25% VAT.

I'm saving to get one of those - and it would have been so cool if I could have saved over a thousand bucks on that monster. Oh well, I might as well wish I'd win the lottery...

Wow, for that much you could take a vacation to the US, buy it here, and still have money left over.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:

I was skimming through the replies and your comment made my diet pepsi come out my nose!