Apple near ready with release of Mac OS X 10.5.7 Juno

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple as early as this week could announce the release of Mac OS X 10.5.7, a seventh maintenance and security update to its Leopard operating system scheduled to deliver over a 100 minor tweaks and bug fixes.

After providing developers with weekly betas of the software for nearly two months, the Mac maker in recent days cranked up the frequency of the pre-release distributions, which is more often than not a telltale sign of an imminent release.

In particular, developers on Friday received Mac OS X 10.5.7 build 9J47, which arrived just four days after build 9J44. Late Tuesday evening developers were informed that build 9J50 was available for download, again coming just four days after the previous distribution.

People familiar with the beta test say the former build added three code-corrections to a laundry list of bug fixes, including a fix for Ethernet performance on Mac Pro systems and a correction to Mac OS X's handling of login item preferences. Meanwhile, the latter build arriving less than 24 hours ago reportedly addresses a single issue involving Bluetooth personal area networks.

Now in its seventh week of widespread testing, Mac OS X 10.5.7 includes 108 documented code corrections and is expected to arrive as an approximately 443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7. A separate distribution capable of updating earlier versions of the Leopard OS reportedly weighs in around 730 megabytes.

Further evidencing an imminent release are claims from some Apple Store customers who say Apple recently bumped up their orders for iMacs equipped with ATI's Radeon HD 4850 graphics card for shipment this week. At least one of these customers was led to believe his order was previously being held up due to the graphics card's requirement of 10.5.7, though that much is up for debate. Alternatively, Apple could include the necessary software drivers in a custom milestone of 10.5.6.

Nevertheless, it was revealed early in the beta test process that Mac OS X 10.5.7 would deliver a broad range of syncing improvements. It was later reported that the release, internally code-named Juno, would also include an updated speech dictionary.

In total, the update is expected to address issues with over 20 core system components including AirPort, graphics, iCal, iDisk Syncing, Mail, MobileMe syncing, networking, parental controls, printing, Safari, screen sharing, sound, and Time Machine. It should also improve compatibility with certain USB and Flash drives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    Bring it on! I am always happy to update the most stable desktop OS I have ever used
  • Reply 2 of 114
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Why does this one have a code name? Do point releases usually have one?
  • Reply 3 of 114
    I REALLY REALLY hope that they fixed that very annoying SMB permissions bug. There are posts all over the place about it. Share as SMB, create file or folder from windows, all seems okay. Try to access from local Mac, no dice as you can't access the file. Try again from the windows machine, forget about it. You have to Sudo Chmod the folder from the terminal to get it working again. FAIL!

This is something that should have been fixed in 10.5.1... but nope.

"Works with Windows" Right now, that's just false advertising. FIX IT!

(Can you tell I'm irate on this problem? And don't go telling me its a windows error... because it isn't. Look around for SMB issues on line and you'll find a good number of issues, most of which come and go as they please.)

In posting about this a long time ago in the Apple responder app thingy, nothing changed. Ugh.
  • Reply 4 of 114
    berw6berw6 Posts: 3member
    Guys, am I right to suspect a typo?

"443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7"

shouldn't that be "443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.6"?

B
  • Reply 5 of 114
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Hope they did some serious work on Safari (4 beta). I had to stop using it, it was crashing so much. Lots of hangs and just not responding.

On a positive note, the new Firefox is awesome, no problems at all. Seems to work with all the sites Safari has problems with, and the new update has made it just as fast, if not faster.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berw6 View Post

Guys, am I right to suspect a typo?

"443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.7"

shouldn't that be "443 megabyte delta update for Mac users running Mac OS X 10.5.6"?

B

Wow, there is a 5 character requirement for messages. It would not let me say, YES for the response.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    I hope they fixed the GMA3100 drivers for last generation macbooks. OpenGL simply sucks with crashes, kernel panics and whatnot, when using certain 3D apps.
  • Reply 8 of 114
    Don't know what to say, rain, but I've been using Safari 4 beta since day one and haven't had one crash or hang. So whose track record is to be believed here? Of course, I don't load up any of my three browsers with add-ons and plug-ins, the source of almost all such conflicts.

And--no--Firefox is NOT as fast as Safari 4 beta in my tests. So, again, I guess our experience and opinions must agree to disagree.
  • Reply 9 of 114
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wow, there is a 5 character requirement for messages. It would not let me say, YES for the response.

No?
  • Reply 10 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

Don't know what to say, rain, but I've been using Safari 4 beta since day one and haven't had one crash or hang. So whose track record is to be believed here? Of course, I don't load up any of my three browsers with add-ons and plug-ins, the source of almost all such conflicts.

And--no--Firefox is NOT as fast as Safari 4 beta in my tests. So, again, I guess our experience and opinions must agree to disagree.

I've seen safari 4 beta hang a bit myself on a few computers, but it is rare. Though when it happens, it can last up to 10 seconds and be incredibly annoying.

But overall, safari 4 beta rocks... and I cant wait until it comes out of beta
  • Reply 11 of 114
    fuzbrfuzbr Posts: 1member
    We long-time, rural-based Apple fans are a bit discouraged by the dramatic increase in update sizes. Many of us still have relatively slow DSL or satellite links, and worse yet, they have very restrictive limits. Our typical account in this area has a 2GB up/down limit/month, with 128k speed. Overage is $30/GB. I'd hazard a guess that there are more than a few of us who are cringing at this update size. We're to the point where one of us downloads a combo update then shares with everyone. It's more than a little time-wasting. I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...
  • Reply 12 of 114
    I really hope this fixes the unibody MBP screenshot freezing issue. It's driving me bonkers.
  • Reply 13 of 114
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why does this one have a code name? Do point releases usually have one?

I would suspect that the vast majority of them do - but that not many of them become public knowledge. I would think having a code name is the easiest way for everyone to keep track of who is working on what and what projects need to come in before a deadline - without giving any info away to those who do not need it and to help keep secrets hidden better in regards to projects currently in the works but which will not be released for many months or even years - also leaves them the option of changing the official shipping name pretty late in the game if that becomes necessary for any reason. for example - if 10.5.7 does not ship - or if we jump straight to 10.6 they can say that the code name Juno was never meant to be pegged to a given point release (hmm but then I just changed my answer and the code name is not the same as a version) point is that any development group may come up with their own internal code name even if the company at large does not recognize the code name - as it is easier (and perhaps cooler) in conversation to talk about working on the latest Juno build instead of hey how's 10.5.7 build xj9 coming along?

Maybe Juno is shorthand for June or July - as in hey when will the next OS update be ready to ship - I dunno, June or July - or even I REALLY don't know June or..... which then get's shortened to Juno.
  • Reply 14 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fuzbr View Post

I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...

but.... what? You're all for bug fixes as long as they don't go over a certain size? Thats hilarious.
  • Reply 15 of 114
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Indeed.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

We long-time, rural-based Apple fans are a bit discouraged by the dramatic increase in update sizes. Many of us still have relatively slow DSL or satellite links, and worse yet, they have very restrictive limits. Our typical account in this area has a 2GB up/down limit/month, with 128k speed. Overage is $30/GB. I'd hazard a guess that there are more than a few of us who are cringing at this update size. We're to the point where one of us downloads a combo update then shares with everyone. It's more than a little time-wasting. I hope 10.7's code cleanup also trends toward smaller updates. I'm all for code fixes, but...

could you not go to a library or other public place with higher download speed - and or get someone to burn it to a CD or put in on a USB stick for you?
  • Reply 17 of 114
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Maybe this is the last update to Leopard? That's why they are packing everything into it.
  • Reply 18 of 114
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Juno, eh? We're pregnant with anticipation.
  • Reply 19 of 114
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Juno, eh? We're pregnant with anticipation.

That was on TV last night, ironic much?
  • Reply 20 of 114
    Quote:

Is it that bad in US? In Sweden we get 60DL/20-10UL for 45 dollar per month without any limits.