New discoveries turn up in betas of Apple's iPhone 3.0 software

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm also more interested in the hardware myself, but I suspect it's just because we haven't heard so much about it as we have the software.

In my case it drives what is possible with software. Right now thatlittle ARM is running to the limit of it's capability.

Quote:

Interestingly, there are "leaks" about on the net these last few days about the new Zune hardware which would put the current iPhone to shame in a couple of categories, but the first thing one thinks of when reading them is that even though the hardware sounds good, it will still be running Windows Mobile and will still probably suck big time as a result.

Maybe the OS or supplied software but that doesn't mean a lone developer off in Nome AL can't leverage that hardware in a way that is innovative and leading edge. Hardware very much limits what is possible on these handheld devices.

Quote:

It just proves that the software really *is* the main driver of these kinds of devices regardless of how juicy the next iPhone hardware revision might end up being.

Software can only be useful on a platform capable of running it well. In this respect software is extremely limited on Apples handheld devices. If anything current Touch hardware limits software morethan enabling it.

Think of it this way, Apple could port Mobile OS to a 286 but that isn't likely to compete well against the current handheld device. In many ways the Touch devices have hardly moved past generation one hardware, this the world has barely started to explore what is possible software wise on a portable device.

Quote:

As for Safari, I am hoping for a complete revision of the UI although nothing so far indicates Apple is thinking of that.

This I agree with 100%, Safari needs work.

Quote:

I do find it ironic that Apple was willing to get so radical with the Safari 4.0 beta for the desktop just to reduce the excess pixel space, but not much has been done much in that regard for mobile Safari which arguably needs it more. They recently combined the Google bar with the address bar to save a bit of space, but the whole arrangement still takes up way too much space and there is no full-screen view either. The information in the address/search/title bar at the top of the screen takes up aproximately 13/100ths of an inch, but the space used to display it is just over 30/100ths. If you further assume that having the page title hanging at the top of the screen 24/7 is a waste of space, then the ratio is precisely 3 to 1 which is a bit ridiculous.

Yep, Safari is the one app that I almost always want more screen realestate with.

Quote:

Additionally, since the entire Palm WebOS is basically a copy of the way in which mobile Safari handles web pages, I'd like to see Apple make Safari more of a centrepiece app in the same way and handle the transitions in a similar fashion. Knowing more explicitly what "cards" (webpages) you have open and easily switching between them (without having to re-load each time) would go a long way towards making mobile Safari less painful and perhaps even useful.

Not this guy. Apps are one of iPhone's best features. Given that Apple can supply a debugged and featureful library it provides for a speedy and robust platform. Of course web apps will always be there but that isnot a unique product. Nor is it a versatile product as much is given up in a web app.

Quote:

At the moment, I find that I use iPhone apps like Google, Wikipanion etc. almost exclusively, just so as to avoid having to open the browser unless I absolutely have to. It's slow, and it's very difficult to tell what is actually happening when you are using it. Are you loading the page you originally clicked on? Or is it now loading some link that you inadvertently touched while trying to zoom in on a page while it slowly, slowly loads? Who knows? I sure don't half the time.

That is undeniable, Safari does have interface issues. In part this could be solved by multitasking and in part by more native apps. I almost never use web apps preferring native. Often the preference is due to the better interfaces.

Quote:

Having used a lot of Palms in my life I would never buy one again, but the way in which the Palm pre handles the web looks to be a far superior experience IMO to mobile Safari. The pre should be considered a serious competitor to the coming "3.0" version of the iPhone and if Apple doesn't get out in front of it they will look pretty foolish. I expect the new iPhone to be a lot faster than the pre, but speed doesn't cover off the (apparently) increased usability of pre's Web browser and the deep integration it has in the OS (it basically *is* the OS).

IPhone is the first smart device that has actually grown on me. That is a positive thing as many devices never got more than a week or twos use. All the new software features aside I still think the big concern is speed. Speed of the apps, speed of the device during downlaods, and the many common tasks that cause the device to slow to a crawl. In some cases more RAM would help but a much faster CPU would help also.

Dave
  • Reply 42 of 71
    aakaaaka Posts: 17member
    Arrgh

All the goodies yet so far.

When is Apple going to release this thing or am doomed to die in frustration?

A
  • Reply 43 of 71
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaka View Post

Arrgh

All the goodies yet so far.

When is Apple going to release this thing or am doomed to die in frustration?

A

Hard to say. Has your doctor given you less than three months to live?
  • Reply 44 of 71
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Hmmm I noticed the scrubber the other day, just after the beta came out. Works like a charm - a bit of fun actually
  • Reply 45 of 71
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    all very good things. The scrubbing change function is great, i want to see more advance touch gestures across the phone.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    What the hell is music scrubbing in iTunes?

Apple should allow developers to plug-in data detectors that could be used throughout the entire iPhone interface.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    chwhalechwhale Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jboehle View Post

What the hell is music scrubbing in iTunes?

Apple should allow developers to plug-in data detectors that could be used throughout the entire iPhone interface.

Me too. I have no idea what music scrubbing is. Can someone shed some light? thanks
  • Reply 48 of 71
    conradconrad Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Data Detectors.

I'm really hoping that Data Detectors also covers the "Location" field in Calendar. Seriously, when you type in a location, you should be able to tap on it and launch Google Maps. Lemme reiterate. A location entered in Calendar should link with Google Maps. Integration, its a lovely thing.

I can't believe no one else commented on this. What an amazing idea. I think ANY app that has a 'location' field should tie in with maps. This could make life amazing.

EDIT: Scrubbing is just moving the time slider around to different points in a song/video/etc.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

(hardware) In my case it drives what is possible with software. Right now thatlittle ARM is running to the limit of it's capability...

I agree with what you're saying about hardware to a point. It definitely is the sort of final limit of what can be done on a device. My point was only that software can "make-up" for hardware to a large extent and really good software can make a device with poor hardware specs perform as well as a device that has better hardware but poor software. The example with the (purported) new Zune is that it has an FM radio, but that the (purported) new iPhone will have that capability which could easily be activated by third party software, even if Apple continues it's practice of purposely not including FM radio as an option on it's iPod line.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

iPhone is the first smart device that has actually grown on me. That is a positive thing as many devices never got more than a week or twos use. All the new software features aside I still think the big concern is speed. Speed of the apps, speed of the device during downlaods, and the many common tasks that cause the device to slow to a crawl. In some cases more RAM would help but a much faster CPU would help also...

Here I agree with you completely, but again I tend to think of this as more perception than objective reality. The iPhone certainly seemed fast enough when it came out even if the web specifically was still kind of a pokey experience on the platform. It also had the advantage, as slow as it was, of "sucking less" and being less slow than most of the dreck that preceded it.

My experience is that as I used the iPhone and got used to it, that only then did I start to really notice how slow it was. Once you recognise it's speed as the "norm" the fact that it blows away an old PocketPC or a SONY clie, is irrelevant. I'm sure the new version will be extremely fast and everyone will be talking about it for six months or so before the claims of slowness start to re-appear again for the new device.

I think that Apple would be foolish not to include a 4.0 version of Safari in the new OS and that hardware improvements like a much better processor and more system memory will allow Mr. Jobs to get up and say that it's 10 or a hundred times faster than the old one when it's introduced but it will still seem slow again a few months down the road.

I still remember dragging my XT out into the alley after bringing home my brand new 286 and thinking that it just couldn't get any faster than that.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chwhale View Post

Me too. I have no idea what music scrubbing is. Can someone shed some light? thanks

In the audio and video industries, "scrubbing" is a term that means moving through a clip at variable speed, audibly or visibly or both, via some form of direct control.

In the case of the iPhone, it means that you can move your finger along the playback timeline (at any speed you like) and either see the video or hear the audio go by at whatever rate.

This is different from the kind of random access that lets you jump forward or backward in the timeline but requires you to do it blindly.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    mfrydmfryd Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Battery indicators

Meanwhile, it appears that iPhone 3.0 will also introduce an option of showing you how much battery life you have left on your iPhone or iPod touch in a numerical percentage.

Resource files contained within the new version of the device's Springboard application include 22 new PNG files to facilitate this option. Half are numerical characters (and a "%" sign) in black typeface for representing healthy battery level percentages while the other half are in red typeface for when battery life falls bellow a certain threshold.

This is already in the iPhone 2.x software- There just isn't any supported way of turning it on.

My iPhone presents battery charge in the status bar as a numerical value. '100' when fully charged, '0' when empty (currently 88).

My original iPhone was jailbroken, and one of the available applications allowed me to set this option.

When I upgraded to the iPhone 3G, it installed the preferences from my old (jailbroken) phone.

Although, I no longer have any way of turning this preference on or off, the iPhone pays attention to it. I've been getting numerical battery status since the Phone 3G came out.

To be fair the implementation doesn't work 100% of the time, occasionally I see the battery icon. But it does work most of the time.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mfryd View Post

This is already in the iPhone 2.x software- There just isn't any supported way of turning it on.

My iPhone presents battery charge in the status bar as a numerical value. '100' when fully charged, '0' when empty (currently 88).

My original iPhone was jailbroken, and one of the available applications allowed me to set this option.

When I upgraded to the iPhone 3G, it installed the preferences from my old (jailbroken) phone.

Although, I no longer have any way of turning this preference on or off, the iPhone pays attention to it. I've been getting numerical battery status since the Phone 3G came out.

To be fair the implementation doesn't work 100% of the time, occasionally I see the battery icon. But it does work most of the time.

kew-el.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    This can also be found using the FreeMemory app, but you have to open it and scroll down.

As far as the guy who said it gave him no notifications of waning battery life, with the volume on you get an audible double-alert at 10%. At 20% you get a dialog, and if you're watching video, 2.2 added the extra step of pausing your video. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature, but it does get your attention.

I, for one, I'm totally excited about 3.0!! I've been wishing for variable scrub speeds for awhile now (but figured that would be fixed by a "scrub glass", kinda like the magnifying glass)
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

Data Detectors.

I'm really hoping that Data Detectors also covers the "Location" field in Calendar. Seriously, when you type in a location, you should be able to tap on it and launch Google Maps. Lemme reiterate. A location entered in Calendar should link with Google Maps. Integration, its a lovely thing.

Talking of using Google Maps from another app, it would be nice if when accessing Maps from Contacts, it did not use the United States as the default if the country field is blank. I can't be the only person who leaves the country blank if the contact is in the same country as me.

If it just left Maps to look up the address without any country it would be better than adding USA automatically (Maps would then find most of my addresses rather than almost none!). Otherwise, it should use my own country as a default...
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdhaag View Post

I also hope the data detectors work in the calendar for phone numbers. I have conference calls I need to be on through out the week and having those become links to just touch would be amazing. I am very excited about all the updates Apple is putting into iPhone OS 3.0 and look forward to the launch date.

I would really like to see not only your idea of the links, but also be able to pick the people/location for a meeting in the calendar or create a calendar event from the contacts.

For example, I call the carpet cleaning company, hang up and I would be able to click a button to create an appointment with the 'with whom' filled out, all I would have to do is pick the date and time.

A couple of days later when I am looking at the calendar and see that I need to reschedule the carpet cleaning I would be able to click the 'with whom' in the calendar event to jump to the contact info and dial the phone.

Thouhgts?
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Sorry man, don't know what to tell you.

Does anyone else here have a Touch?

Here's the scoop on the iPod Touch regarding battery indications etc. I'm running the iPhone OS (for iPod Touch) 2.2.1 (latest) on a 1st Gen. 32GB iPod Touch.

Apparently we do not have a "Usage" section in "Settings," however, the small battery icon on the right side of the info bar at the top of the iPod is the best way to judge battery levels. When the battery hits 20% remaining the iPod alerts you and the battery "juice" turns red (it alerts you again when it hits 10% remaining.) When you plug it in it chimes and the battery turns green (or white) with a lightning bolt telling you its recharging, when fully recharged it shows a plug instead of a lightning bolt. When you unplug the iPod it goes green (or white) w/no icon.

On the initial page ("Slide to Unlock") the big battery shows during recharge and the small battery icon is white, but still shows the lightning bolt and plug when appropriate.

And again the battery only shows the lightning bolt and plug when plugged in.

These are some of the differences between the Touch and iPhone, besides the obvious. \

Regards,

Nathanael
  • Reply 57 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGuy'91 View Post

Here's the scoop on the iPod Touch regarding battery indications etc. I'm running the iPhone OS (for iPod Touch) 2.2.1 (latest) on a 1st Gen. 32GB iPod Touch.

Apparently we do not have a "Usage" section in "Settings," however, the small battery icon on the right side of the info bar at the top of the iPod is the best way to judge battery levels. When the battery hits 20% remaining the iPod alerts you and the battery "juice" turns red (it alerts you again when it hits 10% remaining.) When you plug it in it chimes and the battery turns green (or white) with a lightning bolt telling you its recharging, when fully recharged it shows a plug instead of a lightning bolt. When you unplug the iPod it goes green (or white) w/no icon.

On the initial page ("Slide to Unlock") the big battery shows during recharge and the small battery icon is white, but still shows the lightning bolt and plug when appropriate.

These are some of the differences between the Touch and iPhone, besides the obvious. \

Regards,

Nathanael

Thanks. Very informative.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    probablyprobably Posts: 139member
    Yeah Apple strangely started using "scrub" in product language starting with iMovie/iPhoto.

It is 'Seek' to everyone else accustomed to a CD player/mp3 player.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In the case of the iPhone, it means that you can move your finger along the playback timeline (at any speed you like) and either see the video or hear the audio go by at whatever rate.

This is different from the kind of random access that lets you jump forward or backward in the timeline but requires you to do it blindly.

Are you sure that's what it does here? It looks like it just pauses and seeks around the media like the iPhone does now.

If you touch the nub and then drag your finger downward, THEN move it left to right on the current iPhone firmware it still moves with your finger. This looks like it adds (very naturally) the ability to move at dampened speeds if your finger drifts from the timeline. A smart application of functionality that already exists.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by probably View Post

Yeah Apple strangely started using "scrub" in product language starting with iMovie/iPhoto.

It is 'Seek' to everyone else accustomed to a CD player/mp3 player.

Are they using it for this feature? For iMovie and iPhoto editing I understand the use of scrub, but for a non-editing function seek is more apropos.

Quote:

If you touch the nub and then drag your finger downward, THEN move it left to right on the current iPhone firmware it still moves with your finger. This looks like it adds (very naturally) the ability to move at dampened speeds if your finger drifts from the timeline. A smart application of functionality that already exists.

That is how it appears to work on my iPhone. Not that I need it much for songs, but it should come in handy with some large audiobooks. BTW, audiobook now have some new features I don't recall previous to v3.0. The are for music where the Genius icon would be is replaced by an icon that will jump back 30 seconds and to the right end where the Shuffle is for music has a button to speed up or slow down the spoken audio.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGuy'91 View Post

Regards,

Nathanael

Thanks I knew it was a bit strange -I will check for the plug when plugged in next time. Gratefully this gets simplified with 3.0