At what point is Jaguar necessary

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I can't believe you have just done it. Don't you know that 10.3 will be out soon and you will have to pay an upgrade fee. If you've been prepared to wait this long you might as well have waited another 2 months to get Panther. There are rumours that the finder has been re-written and that the whole user experiance will take a leap forward.

Well, probably more like another 3-4 months.

Still.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I can't believe you have just done it. Don't you know that 10.3 will be out soon and you will have to pay an upgrade fee. If you've been prepared to wait this long you might as well have waited another 2 months to get Panther. There are rumours that the finder has been re-written and that the whole user experiance will take a leap forward.

Yeah, I know that Panther is coming. But I figured that (assuming that they charge for Panther) they will have one price for those who upgrade from 10.1 and another, lower, price for those who upgrade from 10.2. (Actually, I am hoping that Panther will be nominally priced for those who bought 10.2, but we'll have to see about that.)

Even if I will get no price break on Pather, there were a couple of upgrades on 10.2 that I needed right away . The chief one was the improved ability to integrate my Mac onto a secure Windows network for my wife's access to her work from home. The particular software her firm uses requires 10.2 if you want to log in with a Mac. Previously she had been using Virtual PC to log in, but that was causing major, major, headaches.

Also, there were a couple of serious problems that I was having recently on 10.1.5 for which the only solution the people at Apple could find would have been a complete reinstall of 10.1 (starting, apparently, with my original 10.0 disk - ). Alternatively, they said, an upgrade reinstall with 10.2 would fix the problems. I was willing to pay the price of Jag - even at this late date - to avoid taking the step back to a complete reinstall of 10.1. (Thankfully, the installation of Jag does seem to have solved the problems.)

Finally, despite all the rumours of Panther coming, I really don't know how soon this will be. I needed Jag now and was willing to take the risk that I would get no price break when Panther came out.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Finally, despite all the rumours of Panther coming, I really don't know how soon this will be. I needed Jag now and was willing to take the risk that I would get no price break when Panther came out.

you will not get a price break... sorry...

10.3 has not been announced yet, so based on apple's past behavior they will not offer upgrade pricing until they do...

as for why you had to start with 10.0 instead of 10.1, it is because you got a free upgrade to 10.1, correct? this was an UPGRADE cd and (unless you made a hacked burn of the CD, which was not hard at all...) because of that fact could only be installed on 10.0.x systems... you could not start clean...

but it seems you made the right descision... you would have been better off just getting jag way back when tho...

out of curiosity, how much did you pay?
  • Reply 44 of 54
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    My installation went without flaw. Maybe other people were less lucky, but I HIGHLY recommend it. But with Panther on the horizon, I'd wait.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    Hi! ...if you're just looking for a little performace boost, a more sound investment might be to upgrade the memory. How much RAM do you have in that iMac?
  • Reply 46 of 54
    Aw, man! You should have waited for Panther. Now you'll be obsolete by August and all your friends will refuse to talk to you because you are not cutting-edge. YOU WILL BE SHUNNED FROM CIVIL SOCIETY? though, I am still running 10.1.5, almost got Jag? until my dad brought Panther to my attention. Whoo, close one?
  • Reply 47 of 54
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If only MY dad kept a watch on Apple trends for me, Dog almighty!
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Ahahah! So you got Jaguar? Ah, well, maybe 10.3'll be a free update, like 9.2, or something? probably, most likely not, but there's always pirating. C=
  • Reply 49 of 54
    Thanks for the comments, folks.

Re the price I paid. I paid Apple's list price. I don't recall what that was, but it is whatever is posted on the Apple Store site right now. I know that I could have shopped around and paid a bit less, but I just don't have the time.

Re the question on my RAM. I installed extra RAM from the time I started running OS X (Dec 2001). Trying to run OS X with the standard 128MB is a joke. I have 374MB and find that the overall speed of my machine on OS X is OK, even if I only have a G3 500. Would I benefit from even more RAM?

Re the price of Panther, I think that Apple should charge less for an upgrade from 10.2 compared to an upgrade from 10.1. I am not counting on it though.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:

At what point is Jaguar necessary?

At 10 point 2...

*giggles*
  • Reply 51 of 54
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Re the question on my RAM. I installed extra RAM from the time I started running OS X (Dec 2001). Trying to run OS X with the standard 128MB is a joke. I have 374MB and find that the overall speed of my machine on OS X is OK, even if I only have a G3 500. Would I benefit from even more RAM?

I am running Jaguar on an iMac G3/350. I had been running 9.2.2 up until August of 2002. After reading the Apple Insider Forums and posting a few questions, I decided to take a chance and upgrade to OS-X. Intially, I installed 10.1.4 on 192MB of RAM. It was slow, but the stability that OS-X adds was worth the longer load times.

A few weeks later, I upgraded my HD to a 100GB (my iMac came with a 6GB drive) and my memory to 512MB of RAM. I also upgraded from 10.1.5 to Jaguar (10.2). While my machine still ran a bit slower that I would like, there was a noticeable speed improvement. I had intended on buying a new Mac last Christmas, but after making those small upgrades, I was satisfied enough to hold on it a little while longer. If all goes as planned, I will be buying a new Mac later this year.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

Aw, man! You should have waited for Panther. Now you'll be obsolete by August and all your friends will refuse to talk to you because you are not cutting-edge. YOU WILL BE SHUNNED FROM CIVIL SOCIETY? though, I am still running 10.1.5, almost got Jag? until my dad brought Panther to my attention. Whoo, close one?

And as for you Dog, we will only teach you the secret handshake when you update to 10.2.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    pantherpanther Posts: 64member
    Quote:

At what point is Jaguar necessary?

At what point? First thing in the morning!
  • Reply 54 of 54
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Re the price I paid. I paid Apple's list price. I don't recall what that was, but it is whatever is posted on the Apple Store site right now. I know that I could have shopped around and paid a bit less, but I just don't have the time.

thats why we are here.... just ask what the best price is and within 2 hrs someone will post for the best price....

oh well, no biggie...