iPhone Software 3.0 may offer voice control, dialing - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ByronVanArsdale View Post

The best part of this is talking to people with Blackberry's about iApp envy. Seems they'd happily trade voice activated commands just to have ANY user created apps. Brilliant stroke Apple - just brilliant. Thanks also to all the iPhone app developers!

Then WHY DON'T they? Simple- because their Blackberrys are usually corporate tools and their corporate owners a.) need a reliable carrier, b) want their phones easily serviced and 3) don't want clogware Apps on a corporate phone.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The first update in January 2008 was $20 and included a whooping 5 additional apps that could have easily been included with the original iPod Touch. This was still within v1.x.

For v2.0 they made the update $10. I am assuming they will make the next one $10, as well.

Wait a second, it cost money just to update the software? You're talking about just on the ipod touch right? Not the iphone as well?
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Steve's vision of an iPhone was to make it as simple as possible so that anyone and their grandmother can use it.

So typing in the phone number rather than speaking for the last 2 years is simpler?
  • Reply 24 of 89
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    The best is yet to come.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Then WHY DON'T they? Simple- because their Blackberrys are usually corporate tools and their corporate owners a.) need a reliable carrier, b) want their phones easily serviced and 3) don't want clogware Apps on a corporate phone.

As previously discussed many times, there are many companies shifting to the iPhone completely or allowing their employees to choose. The ones that are shifting completely are finding that it's cheaper than using RiM's expensive HW, expensive per unit licensing, and single point of failure for all data transmitted and/or the iPhone SDK is giving them opportunities they never had before.

Your comment about Blackberries needing a reliable carrier doesn't hold water as AT&T sells Blackberries. That is not to say that AT&T's network is perfect, is good in your area, or the best choice for everyone. But neither is Verizon, or Sprint or T-Mobile. There are pros and cons to everything, things are not so simple as to be black and white all the time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Wait a second, it cost money just to update the software? You're talking about just on the ipod touch right? Not the iphone as well?

Yes, just for the Touch.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Voice dialing is something I've missed since switching to iPhone. Now if they could only make a decent ring tone that is loud enough to hear when the phone is in my pocket. I've pretty much given up on ever answering calls since I don't hear them ring most of the time anyway. Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing...

I have this problem all the time as well, but even though I am not young myself I am pretty sure it's the iPhone at fault and not your hearing. As one gets older one loses the high frequencies, but you have to have some serious hearing issue to have the whole world go quiet.

One HUGE functional problem I have with the iPhone in this regard is that there are actually two volumes on it not one, but the iPhone only has a single volume control that decides on the basis of context which volume to adjust. This means that one can often turn down the volume of the ringer by mistake thinking one is turning down the overall volume or turn down the overall volume thinking one is merely turning down the ringer.

A second problem is that the "silent" switch is way too easy to trigger. Given that I don't go to many meetings, I basically never have a need to use this switch but I pick up the iPhone on a regular basis to discover that it's been switched on for who knows how long and that I've missed calls.

The silent switch is one of the few physical switches on the iPhone as a sop to business and to venues like movies where they want you to turn off your phone. Given how infrequently it's used by the average person it would be totally workable to have the switch in software only but it's a physical switch so that when a security guard or a cop walks up to you and asks you turn off your phone, that you can't use the excuse of not knowing where the switch is.

One more annoyance that results from our security obsessed, conflict-centred world.
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:

So typing in the phone number rather than speaking for the last 2 years is simpler?

Simpler for Apple to focus on their core first. This was there first phone, they were told by everyone they were going to fail. Same thing with the retail stores, but they started small and worked there way out as they got a handle on things. Making cut/copy/paste and voice dialing on a device with no buttons can't be easy to do from scratch. It's taken immolators over 2 years to blatantly copy the iPhone and they still aren't to market (I'm looking at you Miezu).

There is still an issue with how voice dialing would work the current model. I see no easy button to push to make it feasible for everyday use. I think they will need to add a button and I think they will be releasing a new BT headset and headphone/mic that has this capability.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:

The first update in January 2008 was $20 and included a whooping 5 additional apps that could have easily been included with the original iPod Touch. This was still within v1.x.

For v2.0 they made the update $10. I am assuming they will make the next one $10, as well.

In all fairness, the original $20 update was made long before the app store got going and we had an idea of the intrinsic value or the market-based worth of iPhone applications.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    Quote:

Voice dialing is something I've missed since switching to iPhone. Now if they could only make a decent ring tone that is loud enough to hear when the phone is in my pocket. I've pretty much given up on ever answering calls since I don't hear them ring most of the time anyway. Maybe I'm just getting hard of hearing...

Just make a good loud ringtone with GarageBand either from a song you like or from your own recording and have that for your ringtone. It works wonders for my father to have his screaming grandson calling hiim to answer quickly his iphone! In garagBand you can manually increase the output volume.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    Quote:

As previously discussed many times, there are many companies shifting to the iPhone completely or allowing their employees to choose. The ones that are shifting completely are finding that it's cheaper than using RiM's expensive HW, expensive per unit licensing, and single point of failure for all data transmitted and/or the iPhone SDK is giving them opportunities they never had before.

Your comment about Blackberries needing a reliable carrier doesn't hold water as AT&T sells Blackberries. That is not to say that AT&T's network is perfect, is good in your area, or the best choice for everyone. But neither is Verizon, or Sprint or T-Mobile. There are pros and cons to everything, things are not so simple as to be black and white all the time.

Well in NYC it does matter- as most corporate Blackberries used are from Verizon- it simply has a better track record here. Which companies allow employees to change carriers and/or phones if they have a corporate rate with another? RIM's hardware is more expensive than iPhone's? Where is that documented?
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

In all fairness, the original $20 update was made long before the app store got going and we had an idea of the intrinsic value or the market-based worth of iPhone applications.

The SDK was announced in October 2007 and stated to be available in February 2008, the five app iPod Touch update was available in January 2008 at MWSF, the SDK was delayed but made available in March 2008 and the App Store went live in July 2008.

Funny how in retrospect so little time has actually passed between the original iPhone release and the SDK announcement, but boy was it an area of contention for a long time.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

I'm so impressed- iPhone is finally getting all these phone features that everyone's had for years.

I'm not an Apple apologist by any means, but Apple is choosing to build a real mobile computing platform rather than just another phone built with whatever components and software happen to exist in the marketplace at the time.

It's the dedication to building something with an eye for the future, rather than creating throwaway technology, which tends to make new features take a bit longer. That and navigating the minefield of patents, as someone else mentioned.

I'm sure when voice control capabilities come to the iPhone/iPod Touch, they'll go far beyond simple voice dialing, and there'll be an easy way for application developers to take advantage of voice control in their apps. Likely with a way to add your own voice commands to the predefined set. Possibly even with a speech-to-text interface for message composition/email/notes. That's my wishlist anyways...
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

Well in NYC it does matter- as most corporate Blackberries used are from Verizon- it simply has a better track record here. Which companies allow employees to change carriers and/or phones if they have a corporate rate with another? RIM's hardware is more expensive than iPhone's? Where is that documented?

That is NYC. AT&T needs to up their network, which partly means more bandwidth and partly means using the better 850MHz spectrum over 700MHz. Or People that want to use Verizon's network won't be able to use the iPhone, but to suggest that people don't use Blackberries on AT&T isn't true. Anecdotal experiences often don't make for a sound argument regarding the whole.

RiM requires server-side HW to connect to a company's Exchange server. This server pushes for RiM to Canada and then to all Blackberries. This was a great setup years ago but it's a bit antiquated and expensive. In these economic times and with smartphones developing even faster these days, I foresee RiM having to change their business model and lower prices to stay competitive. They don't make their money on selling a few million handsets, it's from getting that data pushed to their handsets.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Have you seen the Blackberry site lately?

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/

I can't quite put my finger on it but something seems rather familiar.

Hmmm!

Quote:

Then WHY DON'T they? Simple- because their Blackberrys are usually corporate tools and their corporate owners...

...don't want clogware Apps on a corporate phone.

• Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you seen the Blackberry site lately?

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/

I can't quite put my finger on it but something seems rather familiar.

Hmmm!

I like RiM's site better than Apple's. Too much clutter on Apple's site.
  • Reply 36 of 89
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    They don't have one of these either.

Quote:

I like RiM's site better than Apple's. Too much clutter on Apple's site.

• Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvavvas View Post

Just make a good loud ringtone with GarageBand either from a song you like or from your own recording and have that for your ringtone. It works wonders for my father to have his screaming grandson calling hiim to answer quickly his iphone! In garagBand you can manually increase the output volume.

the problem with using any kind of loud ring-tone is that when you have a headset on and the phone rings it's like driving spikes into your eardrums. Even the "classic" phone ring offered by Apple as one of the choices is way too loud on a headset.

Personally I hate phone calls and "phoning" people, and much prefer email, text, or any of the more literary communication methods, but this volume problem is really an inherent flaw of the "my phone is also a media player" concept. As long as the phone needs to ring when laying on a table loud enough to be heard across the room, but also be used on a headset at a something like a tenth of that volume, the problem will always be with us.

I am hoping against hope that the next iPhone will use the second backlight notification system Apple recently patented so I don't have to actually answer the phone anymore and just have to remember to look at it every once in a while to see if anyone called.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dvavvas View Post

I have a ring tone which I made but exactly how do you install it on the phone?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

That's why I have my BT headset on all the time - I can't hear the phone while it's in my pocket... but in my case I KNOW I'm hard of hearing.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The voice synthesis and voice recognition will be an important part of GPS functionality.

Also, developers should be ready with their voice-to-text/text-to-voice synthesis apps. It would make "texting" someone as easy as speaking.