Apple's iPod touch sales double, nearly on par with iPhone

123457

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:



    Here is why... what?
  • Reply 122 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post


    Nintendo will continue to sell games at $30, because people are still buying them in droves. The DS has over 20 titles that have sold in the 10-20 million range at the $30 price point. That's just in 5 years.



    I'm one of those guys who has had at least one of each gameboy and was even dumb enough to buy a DSi recently, so I love Nintendo. But "on the ground" around town I can really see the DS market starting to die a slow "casual" death. In some ways Nintendo itself has changed tack and has started to target the mass market/casual crowd. It's deliberately opened itself up to Apple IMO.



    Now the DSiWare "appstore" is interesting, I can see potential there but I doubt Nintendo have the vision or capability to execute what needs to happen VERY SOON: heaps of excellent low $$ games. The content put up so far just begs belief, it's so lame.



    The difference ? Apple has opened up their distribution channel and have an excellent developer SDK and program that it friendly and nice to use. The DSi is the best gameboy ever released, but they need to MOVE FAST on their appstore.
  • Reply 123 of 146
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Apple would be wise to drop the price of the entry level iPod Touch to around £99 and boot their marketshare even more. Also one of the best things about the Apps is that if you have multiple iPhones/Touches in the home you can sync them with the same iTunes account and share the downloads across all of your devices which is great for multiplayer titles.



    Apple is in business to make money. A $99 iPod touch won't help them make money.
  • Reply 124 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post


    Apple is in business to make money. A $99 iPod touch won't help them make money.



    I don't understand this about a lot of the forum posters. When a product is doing well and the ecosystem is growing at an already breakneck rate they suggest that Apple should slash prices until they lose money on each unit sold just to boost marketshare. It really doesn't seem to take much understanding of economics to know that such a thing can't easily be undone to consumer satisfaction once you lower the price point.
  • Reply 125 of 146
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Nintendo does not target 'just' under 12s.



    Nintendo has dominated the handheld industry since it entered. It may feel 'threatened', like I feel threatened by an eagle flying over head, but it's not going to die because a whole bunch of low-budget (no matter the quality) of games are downloaded from the app-store for a machine the far, far majority of people buy for other reasons. No matter what you might like to think.



    People here clearly do not understand the gaming biz.
  • Reply 126 of 146
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,271member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post




    People here clearly do not understand the gaming biz.



    I don't think we have to understand the biz. I give a rat's ass about understanding the gaming biz. What I do understand is that an iPod Touch is much more of a pragmatic choice for my family because it games well enough but also integrates with the rest of my computing setup.



    I don't think Nintendo is going to die but they'll catch a Flu here and there.
  • Reply 127 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post






    That thing is way too huge. All that wasted space around the display.



    Horrible! One of the ugliest things I've seen in a while.
  • Reply 128 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I don't understand this about a lot of the forum posters. When a product is doing well and the ecosystem is growing at an already breakneck rate they suggest that Apple should slash prices until they lose money on each unit sold just to boost marketshare. It really doesn't seem to take much understanding of economics to know that such a thing can't easily be undone to consumer satisfaction once you lower the price point.



    It's the DELL way. How could it go wrong?
  • Reply 129 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post


    Nintendo does not target 'just' under 12s.



    Nintendo has dominated the handheld industry since it entered. It may feel 'threatened', like I feel threatened by an eagle flying over head, but it's not going to die because a whole bunch of low-budget (no matter the quality) of games are downloaded from the app-store for a machine the far, far majority of people buy for other reasons. No matter what you might like to think.



    People here clearly do not understand the gaming biz.



    Not "just" under 12. but that's a very big part of their market.



    I see kids use them less as they get older.
  • Reply 130 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post


    Nintendo does not target 'just' under 12s.



    Nintendo has dominated the handheld industry since it entered. It may feel 'threatened', like I feel threatened by an eagle flying over head, but it's not going to die because a whole bunch of low-budget (no matter the quality) of games are downloaded from the app-store for a machine the far, far majority of people buy for other reasons. No matter what you might like to think.



    People here clearly do not understand the gaming biz.



    Neither do you obviously.



    I've been gaming since the first Pong appeared in a bar near my college in, I think it was, 1972.



    I've seen more dominating companies disappear in this business than you've played games.



    Nintendo can go under as well.



    I'm not saying it will, it's very good at what it does. But that doesn't mean that this time in the sun for it will last.



    The Wii is the first time they ever ended up on top in consoles, and that surprised even them.



    The Ds did well because it's been cheap. Cheap. Cheap. That was the main route to fame. The old ones sucked even back then.



    The new ones are much better, but they're basically the same old.



    The PSP is a good competitor, but it's not for kids.



    The iPhone appeals to both markets, and has much more important uses.



    While the Dsx series may stay on top, the iP/iT will come up close behind.



    It doesn't matter what kind of games are being played. What matters is who is playing them, and how many.



    Apple's products can take away from them, but they can't take away from Apple.



    All Apple has to do is to nip at them over time. As the iP/iT gains more users, the sheer number of people will have a serious effect on Nintendo's market.



    They will force Nintendo to drop the price of games significantly. That will put a major dent in their good profits. It will hurt them later on.



    Believe it.
  • Reply 131 of 146
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,991member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post


    Zen Bound, Edge, Rolando, iVampire, to name four.



    Fantastic graphics and sound.



    SIM City, EA Games



    Wolfenstein 3D, ID software



    A couple of nice PC ports.



    Katamari, Fieldrunners.



    Who could forget the Tap Tap series from Tapulous.



    Tap Tap Revenge, Tap Tap Revenge 2, Nine Inch Nails version, Tap Tap Dance, Tap Tap Coldplay.



    The tapulous guys must be driving Ferraris by now.
  • Reply 132 of 146
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Believe it.



    how can a company that created something as brilliant and masterful as mario teaches typing ever go under? IT CAN'T HAPPEN I TELL YOU. IT SHAN'T.
  • Reply 133 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    That thing is way too huge. All that wasted space around the display.



    Horrible! One of the ugliest things I've seen in a while.



    I know that D-pad attachments for the Touch/iPhone will be coming, but I hope they aren't as bulky as the Nokia in that pic above. A couple more ideas would be to have built in stereo peakers and a catridge system in the back like on the PSP and DS, but for exchanging rechargeable batteries. If they are Li-Poly they could be quite thin.



    There is an manufacturer's issue of having to make a version for each iPod Touch and iPhone on the market or waiting until the new ones arrive so they can make inserts. However, the staggered yearly releases does make it hard to keep up.
  • Reply 134 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I know that D-pad attachments for the Touch/iPhone will be coming, but I hope they aren't as bulky as the Nokia in that pic above. A couple more ideas would be to have built in stereo peakers and a catridge system in the back like on the PSP and DS, but for exchanging rechargeable batteries. If they are Li-Poly they could be quite thin.



    There is an manufacturer's issue of having to make a version for each iPod Touch and iPhone on the market or waiting until the new ones arrive so they can make inserts. However, the staggered yearly releases does make it hard to keep up.



    I'm not that concerned. But whatever they come up with, it will be removable. This isn't.
  • Reply 135 of 146
    Assassins Creed, Hero of Sparta, Sim City, Enigmo, Fast and Furious, Touchgrind, Cro-Mag Rally, Lightbike.
  • Reply 136 of 146
    Quote:

    Apple is a leader in MOBILE PHONE gaming. Let's be honest, the Nintendo DS is 5 years old and has an installed base of over 100 million, and their sales still are through the roof (even DSi sales are huge, and honestly "WHY?"). Developers can make tens of millions of dollars off of a successful DS title (Nintendogs alone sold over 20 million copies at around $30 a pop). I think that I read recently that the most successful iPhone game made hundreds of thousands for the developer (?). Not in the same league.



    The iPhone has "timewasters", games that are fun and pass the time. Unlike every gaming platform out there, the iPhone doesn't have a single game that someone would buy the platform just to play the game. I don't know that it ever will. That doesn't mean small developers can't make a buck, but I don't think anyone is going to sell 20 million copies of a game at $29.99 on the App Store any time soon.



    The amazing thing about the App Store is it's ability to help small developers make loads of money. In fact since February the independent iFart developer has raked in $245,000 in revenue! Even more impressive is that EA is raking in (approximately) $100,000 a day just for Sim City (Of course Apple will take 30% of this) but there's no doubting that the iThings are starting to creep up on DS sales.



    As for your argument about iPhone games being "Time Wasters" go check out Assassins Creed. It's a port of the DS version, and every single review has touted it as being better than the DS version because of upgraded graphics, sound and lower price point.
  • Reply 137 of 146
    Quote:

    You bring up a good point, though. It's rare that Apple finds purchases of good value



    I think it'd be more accurate to say that it's rare for Apple to public announce purchase. Just want to point out that they bought Final Cut Studio and developed that, and they bought eMagic which developed into Logic Studio and Garageband.



    That's a lot of important software.



    Apple likes to purchase small companies that have great usable products. In fact they just bought P.A. Semiconductor, who knows what they're going to use that for! But it'll play a vital role in some future product.
  • Reply 138 of 146
    I think the reason for the prices being so low is because of distribution. You don't have to pay for shipping, marketing, packaging, manufacturing of the chip. It's all done over the App Store, which is being supported by developers and Apple!



    EDIT: We also have to take into account updates. An iPhone App can be updated adding new levels, and with the next SDK loads of new features. With the DS games if you want to update you go out and buy then next version... if and when it comes out.
  • Reply 139 of 146
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post


    Of course Apple will take 30% of this) but there's no doubting that the iThings are starting to creep up on DS sales.



    Apple may take 30% off the top for all their expenses, but we need to consider the expenses of the a cartridge game. A few things off the top of my head are the physical media and packaging costs, the much higher distribution costs over downloadable media, the additional costs and time needed to debug a game. And then there is the cost of the SDK and the fees associated with being a DS or PSP developer. Are they higher than with the iPhone OS X SDK?



    One huge saving for developers and I think this will be a huge draw to the platform is that they can set up a game with a few levels very fast at a low rate. A relatively short time and low cost all around, and if the game is a hit they will be able to fund additional levels of play that can be purchased within the game itself. This is a win-win for large and independent developers alike as it involves very little risk.



    Pixelcruncher's argument that some DS games sold 20M units at $30 a pop means that the DS will continue to be a more successful platform doesn't hold water as the game developer doesn't get anywhere near that amount and with nearly 40M units sold already, or 40% of all the DS' sold in 5 years, and the iPhone platform already has many more games, if e are to believe that 1/3 are games and there are 35k apps on the App Store.



    This can only get better for Apple and the consumer, and we're already seeing Nintendo make the first steps with the DSi and their digital distribution method. I would never count Nintendo out as they are too big, too resourceful and have weathered many slums in popularity, but so far they are behind in this new movement. I think they really need to make their player a viable PMP for audio and video otherwise the majority of people who have both an iPod and DS may just go for the iPod Touch instead, especially sense it's considerably more powerful.



    edit: ipodrulz beat me to it.
  • Reply 140 of 146
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post


    I think it'd be more accurate to say that it's rare for Apple to public announce purchase. Just want to point out that they bought Final Cut Studio and developed that, and they bought eMagic which developed into Logic Studio and Garageband.



    That's a lot of important software.



    Apple likes to purchase small companies that have great usable products. In fact they just bought P.A. Semiconductor, who knows what they're going to use that for! But it'll play a vital role in some future product.



    They also purchased the software that became DVD Studio.
Sign In or Register to comment.