OPTi wins $19 million from Apple in patent lawsuit

Comments

• Reply 21 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

There is not much more to add when someone admits to their own idiocy.

I got nothing to hide.
  • Reply 22 of 95
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

I didn't read the boring article. I just saw that Apple was slapped with another fine lawsuit.

"Way to prove your ignorance on this subject as well as every other past and future subject matter. What a waste of space!
  • Reply 23 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Wait a minute....Apple is far more specific on its patents, and in many cases at least they have the ability to actually produce what they patent. In this case the patent holder deliberately patented an idea they could never produce, just to sit and wait for someone to produce it so they can show up at the door with their affidavit and hand out.

Actually, the timing of events don't support that. The AI opening article said that OPTi stopped their own manufacturing in 2003. The patent was originally filed in 2000 and granted in 2002, so the patent was filed and granted in a period when the company was actively designing and making stuff.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,405,291

I'm not an expert on caching algorithms or patents, but OPTi's patent doesn't seem too broad. It's specific to PCI bus mastering and talks about how different PCI clients and masters and cache line access should interact.

I think the patent itself has some legitimacy in that it isn't some broad fluff. At the same time, Apple may be correct that while the QPTi's technique is legitimate, it may not be unique enough to warrant a patent. Or it may well be that QPTi's patent is valid, but the Judge/Jury interpreted it's scope too broadly. ie. the patent is specific to PCI-bus mastering, but the Judge may have mistakenly extended it to other motherboard components or software.
  • Reply 24 of 95
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:

I got nothing to hide.

You do realize any small shred of credibility you may have been hanging on to is gone, right? At least we can all just ignore you from here on instead of having to put up with your useless, nonsensical rants about things you clearly and admittedly don't understand.
  • Reply 25 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

"Way to prove your ignorance on this subject as well as every other past and future subject matter. What a waste of space!

Yes I agree. I find it totally Obserbia.
  • Reply 26 of 95
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Apple loves to sue others and warn others of not to use their patents. Apple should listen to themselves. Glad they lost 19$ million.

You are a xxxxxxxx, as usual. As everyone else also confirmed.

EDIT:

Keep it down.
  • Reply 27 of 95
    Quote:

I didn't read the boring article. I just saw that Apple was slapped with another fine lawsuit.

Of course you didn't read it, because you are too stupid to know how to read. Ignorant is the only thing you have proven yourself to be.
  • Reply 28 of 95
    This court case is an example of how stupid the residents of Texas really are.
  • Reply 29 of 95
    Quote:

I got nothing to hide.

Of course you don't, your complete stupidity shines right on through, all the way down to your brilliant grammar skills. That is the only thing you have proven yourself to be...a complete retard. Thankfully, there is an IGNORE feature, which more members are using so we don't have to see how much more retarded you can become.
  • Reply 30 of 95
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    I think this is what happened... The Texas government encourages companies to file frivolous patents for ideas they can't even dream of making. Then these companies are to sit back and relax until someone unknowingly tread on a patent and then they collect money. The Texans then "pretend" to have a trial and make sure it looks legitimate enough so that their texan companies can win the trial, thereby getting lots of money. Now these so called companies must pay taxes on these revenues, so the state gains some money with minimal effort.

Therefore, I think this whole East Texas court scam should be brought to justice! Texans should not be allowed to rule a patent case and should not be allowed to hold a patent...
  • Reply 31 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

sorry you feel that way.
  • Reply 32 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Of course you don't, your complete stupidity shines right on through, all the way down to your brilliant grammar skills. That is the only thing you have proven yourself to be...a complete retard. Thankfully, there is an IGNORE feature, which more members are using so we don't have to see how much more retarded you can become.

Is this Apple Grammar school? NO.

Ignore what you wish. IGNORANCE IS BLISS!
  • Reply 33 of 95
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

This court case is an example of how stupid the residents of Texas really are.

You, sir, are a bigot and an ass.

It's always interesting to see what happens when some people get angry. Rather than try and understand the problem, determine its cause, and propose solutions, they start picking at their own festering sores. They single out the most obvious arbitrary demographic (which they probably already sneered at, for no more intelligent reason than not having belonged to it), and then voila, they're magically transformed into a most public tool.

Way to show us what you're made of, hillstones and zeromeus. In this day and age, doesn't it bother you just a little bit to be so publicly bigoted?
  • Reply 34 of 95
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

So then you're using the article headline to feed your confirmation bias? I've heard of people not looking too critically at what they agree with, but this is silly because you're basically admitting it here.

There may well be times where Apple deserves a smackdown, but I don't think it is the case here. Wanting Apple to be punished for something they probably didn't do wrong to cover for some things you think they do wrong is a poor way to do justice. Getting punished for doing something despite being innocent of that is a double insult and a good way to discourage corrective changes.
  • Reply 35 of 95
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

The scariest patents are those trying to patent the human DNA or genetically-modified food. They need to stop. This isolationism in Corporate America only hinders innovation.

This is happening all around the world.
  • Reply 36 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

It's irrelevant whether a patent infringer is aware of the fact or not.

Often, the company that has designed the product, Intel, for example, will indemnify the customers who buy their products and might otherwise be sued.

It's possible in this case, that Apple has written some code to facilitate this, so they would also be liable.
  • Reply 37 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

This is just a first result from a very patent-holder friendly district. It is meaningless first because it's what $19 million? That's nothing to Apple and defines the worst-case outcome of this case. More likely as the suit goes up through the appeals process and the not so patent-holder-friendly appeals courts get ahold of the invariable "judge screwed up interpretation of X, Y & Z items" and the case gets overturned.

The value is small enough Apple might just pay it to make it go away, but it is also small enough a drawn-out appeals process may make the plantiff settle for less out of court so they don't loose everything on the appeal legal fees, let alone loose the judgement too.

The decision on how this one goes forward has more to do with how Tim Cook's family life has been this past week than anything else really. If he's happy Apple probably pays up and moves on. If he's pissed, to-bad-so-sad this one goes to the wire on principle.

That's not quite correct. If this does hold up, as the article says, and it's correct there, Apple may have to pay royalties to use the patented product, if as I said earlier, Apple has contributed to it in some way.
  • Reply 38 of 95
    Quote:

I got nothing to hide.

Wow. Do you even read what you're responding to or are you typing and looking at the TV over your shoulder?
  • Reply 39 of 95
    Quote:

Of course you didn't read it, because you are too stupid to know how to read. Ignorant is the only thing you have proven yourself to be.

Please, we've gone through this before, keep the name calling to yourself.
  • Reply 40 of 95
    Quote:

This is the LAST time you are going to respond this way, correct?