Jobs to get another shot at demolishing "abomination" of a home

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    i wonder if the house is haunted.

is this from when he was still living there?

• Reply 62 of 144
    os11os11 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

i wonder if the house is haunted.

is this from when he was still living there?

not sure what house that is from. he bought the jackling in 1984, that picture is from 1982. it's certainly possible it's the same house... perhaps before purchase? the ceiling looks consistent, but the floors and windows do not... if anyone knows for sure, please chime in.
  • Reply 63 of 144
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

If this house was so important, they should've gave it historical status before Jobs bought it, or before he expressed an interest in changing/demolishing, not years later after he wanted to rebuild. Even then he was approved until moneyed lawyers sued him. To me, these things out weight the other considerations. Historical homes are important, but so is private property. Home owners associations can be real power nuts.

It looks like the house fell to disrepair while under his ownership, and that he owned the thing for fifteen years before deciding it was an eyesore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

And honestly a house from 1925 isn't all that historical when you consider the fact that it's probably newer than a large percentage of European, African, and Asian buildings.

But at some point, all those buildings on those other continents were 70 years old too. If they were all razed at 70 we'd never have those buildings.

Quote:

If he can't even give the house away for free the historical society needs to back off. Not everything from the past is worth saving. And like others have said, if they can't put up the cash to save it, then it's the owner's choice (or it should be).

I do agree that the preservationists should be pitching in here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post

I say bulldoze it now and ask for forgiveness later!

I'm sure there would be penalties though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I choose to show possession in that manner above, but there are variances for the rule that are just as correct, depending on what country you are from. I believe it's more Britishish to use apostrophe 's' in all cases.

I've also heard that the usage varies depending on whether it's a person or proper noun having the possession. I'm not a fan of the dual rule so I'll stick with what the American public school system done taughted me.

I think we should compromise and do a digraph s apostrophe: Jobß'.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

What does this have to do with Macs or Apple? Maybe next week you can list the minutes at the council meeting.

exactly.
  • Reply 65 of 144
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Is there an app for that too?
  • Reply 66 of 144
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I have a car that was built in 1964 and that is considered historical...

Old and historical are too different things - if this is "one of the last remaining examples" then it sure sounds like no one was interested in preserving the rest of the lot.

Maybe Steve could get a remote controlled plane to do some aerial recon and accidentally crash into the house - then explain that since the Apple remote aircraft software wasn't quite done the plane was running windows when it crashed.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

You run an Apple website?and have for many years?yet you are unable to follow the rules of possessive proper nouns when writing Jobs' name. I assume it wasn't an accident, since you used "Job's" twice in this article.

You have two options:

Jobs'

Jobs's

Never Job's

I appreciate your eye for detail. I would be first in line to rave about the sexy ways of syntax, grammar, and semantics, but not in these forums. Do you have anything to say related to Apple?

• Reply 68 of 144
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

You run an Apple website?and have for many years?yet you are unable to follow the rules of possessive proper nouns when writing Jobs' name. I assume it wasn't an accident, since you used "Job's" twice in this article.

You have two options:

Jobs'

Jobs's

Never Job's

For goodness sake, don't be so pedantic. I am also fussy about grammar and spelling, but when posting on forums, people usually type in a hurry to respond to a particular comment, and as in this case, it's usually obvious what is meant.

This is not a life or death legal kind of site, it doesn't need to be that fussy, and I personally think the site administrators do an excellent job. Sounds like you must be a real bore.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OS11 View Post

personally, i feel before steve leaves us... let him build his dream house... it would be a historic site, far more worthy 200 years from now than one from a copper magnate (jackling) that hardly anyone has heard of...

Best comment yet.
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanbar View Post

For goodness sake, don't be so pedantic. I am also fussy about grammar and spelling, but when posting on forums, people usually type in a hurry to respond to a particular comment, and as in this case, it's usually obvious what is meant.

This is not a life or death legal kind of site, it doesn't need to be that fussy, and I personally think the site administrators do an excellent job. Sounds like you must be a real bore.

I think you're being too harsh. It is simply not too much to ask that some basics in decent written/spoken English be adhered to in a forum that is read and quoted worldwide. Sloppy writing often betrays -- and encourages -- sloppy thinking.

I say this as a non-native English speaker who tries hard to write and speak the language as correctly as possible (but may not always succed in that endeavor! ).
  • Reply 71 of 144
    russcorussco Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Then the council can pay to have it restored. What good is the house doing anyone just sitting there rotting?

No one wants to pay to have it restored so either the council should cough up a good chunk of money or let it be demolished.

I think for someone like Steve Jobs with a personal wealth in excess of 5 Billion in the bank he should just restore the house and be done with it....$13 mil would be like pocket change.

But on the other hand I don't agree with stupid power play council's who can't get there heads out of there asses
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Having been to Palo Alto many times, I have always been suprised that it has some of the most over-rated real estate in the world, in terms of its aesthetics (and some would say, price too). Houses and structures that one would consider rather pedestrian in many parts of the US seem to be venerated as rather fancy there.

This structure sounds to me like one of the many eyesores that one sees around that town.

Frankly, I think it is silly of the town fathers/mothers to object, given someone with the proven design and aesthetic sense of a Steve Jobs is saying he will put in place a house that is more worthy of that parcel of real estate.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think you're being too harsh. It is simply not too much to ask that some basics in decent written/spoken English be adhered to in a forum that is read and quoted worldwide. Sloppy writing often betrays -- and encourages -- sloppy thinking.

I say this as a non-native English speaker who tries hard to write and speak the language as correctly as possible (but may not always succed in that endeavor! ).

I don't completely agree. The type of reporting done on tech websites and the type of reporting done in the past is a completely different strategy. The writers here don't have the luxury of sitting on a story. It's fast passed and the focus is geared toward being accurate with the technical details more than the grammatical details. That is not to say that it should be ignored, on the contrary, but we should give a little more leniency that we would in the past.

As an example, just the other day when Apple reached 1B App Store apps downloaded there were forum members wondering why AI hadn't posted an article on it when plenty of other sites blogged about it. With so many blog sites being able to report on quick little snippets of info and the internet becoming even more entrenched in our lives this problem will only increase, especially on tech sites trying to hold your attention for more than two paragraph report like AI.
  • Reply 74 of 144
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Same with there and their. They are frequently misused.

Not really seeing as Steve's last name isn't Job, but Jobs and it's a matter of tense. Their and there are a matter of distinguishing between the following:
    • Their is a possessive of they are

• There signifies `in that place.'

• They're is a contraction of they are

• Reply 75 of 144
    Historical and preservations societies can be a nightmare. Apple got turned down twice to put up a brand new structure on 5th Ave in manhattan. It would of been modern but used much more stone than usual. Now there's some awful retail clothing store there and it still looks crappy. The screwed up thing is about half a block away from the flatiron building a giant ultramodern residential building has gone up that dwarfs almost everything except the Metlife clock tower.

There's no rhyme or reason.
  • Reply 76 of 144
    I thought their was possessive of they not they are.
  • Reply 77 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djchubakka View Post

I'm sure he just made a mistake and will correct it shortly.
  • Reply 78 of 144
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I have a car that was built in 1964 and that is considered historical...

Old and historical are too different things - if this is "one of the last remaining examples" then it sure sounds like no one was interested in preserving the rest of the lot.

That's not always the case. Sometimes only a few examples ever existed, and sometimes the other examples were damaged by accident or other such. Sometimes it's something not appreciated at the time but its importance was found later. A lot of buildings were just torn down in the name of urban renewal, everything that was old was simply considered bad regardless of its soundness, which was later regretted because of its architectural character was lost.
  • Reply 79 of 144
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djchubakka View Post

Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers. Excellent on the English language. I highly recommend it.
  • Reply 80 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Simon & Schuster Handbook for Writers. Excellent on the English language. I highly recommend it.

'Their' is the possessive pronoun of 'they', 'they're' is the contraction of 'they are' (as you are aware). The inclusion of 'are' is extraneous and makes no sense. Can you describe why the inclusion of 'are' is needed?