Jobs to get another shot at demolishing "abomination" of a home

Comments

• Reply 81 of 144
    os11os11 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by russco View Post

he should just restore the house and be done with it....$13 mil would be like pocket change.

But on the other hand I don't agree with stupid power play council's who can't get there heads out of there asses

but it's not about the $13 million to restore it... it's about building a new house to his specs on that same land. he's offered it for $1 to anyone that will move it, but so far, no takers...

and i've done a bit more research and it's not the city council that is against it... it's this lady...

"Clotilde Luce"

http://www.miamibeachhistory.org/act...ilde_luce.html

--- her family owned the Jackling House in Woodside in the 1960's ... She remembers patting the walls and touching the cast-iron staircase of the 17,000-square-foot mansion. “It makes a real impression on you when you are 9 years old,” Luce said. ----

and even though she now lives in Miami Beach, she started a bogus "preservation" scheme through "UpHold Our Heritage" to try and defeat Jobs through the courts. you can read a quite a bit more here:

http://snipurl.com/gqejb

fortunately, the city council has denied her request to move up the next hearing, so it's this coming Tuesday... then hopefully it can be "legally" demolished.
  • Reply 82 of 144
    gary54gary54 Posts: 169member
    doesn't Job's simply buy a different property and build what he wants to? He bought the property with the house on it. Its not exactly as though the house was surprise. And his offer of giving it away if someone will take it is simply ludicrous. You don't just ... pick up and move sprawling 17,000 sq ft masonry structures.

The historic importance or value of the house has already been a court issue. Every single building of historic importance goes through a period of decay and ruin before being recognized for its worth and being restored. There are only a few around in large part because they get torn down by those who don't care about such things and only look at the short term worth to the existing owner.

Computer industry people have an entirely different mindset when it come to value and longevity and lifespan. Houses are not outdated or thrown away in a year. A large, significant well built structure will outlast many owners who are really just temporary users of something which has a lifespan of its own far long than their own.

Last I checked, Pyramids aren't exactly the latest fad in building design either. A good reason to tear them down?
  • Reply 83 of 144
    os11os11 Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

doesn't Job's simply buy a different property / And his offer of giving it away if someone will take it is simply ludicrous. You don't just ... pick up and move sprawling 17,000 sq ft masonry structures.

Computer industry people have an entirely different mindset when it come to value and longevity and lifespan. Houses are not outdated or thrown away in a year. A large, significant well built structure will outlast many owners...

problem is, he already owns THIS property, and if you look around the neighborhood, nothing else is for sale, so that's not an option. the idea of selling it for $1 is common and it wasn't his idea, the studies have already been done and it's entirely possible to move it. Go to the Barron's link above and there is a PDF of the steps needed to relocate the structure. The jackling house wasn't built well, and it's not historic. It's that lady that wants to keep her childhood memories that is getting in the way.
  • Reply 84 of 144
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

Is there an app for that too?

Best comment yet.
  • Reply 85 of 144
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Landmark Commissions wouldn't have anything to do if they couldn't find more structures and trees (in my neighborhood) to "protect". or create some district. Commissioners are appointed by elected city councils. The political appointees usually have an agenda that may not be related to historic significance such as being anti-development and homeless advocates. The cities pay their friends thousands to write biased reports. Appointees lack specific education. In California almost anything with a red tile roof is historic. I think that's hysterical not historic. To modify such a house, one could work many hours with an architect only to have a powerful and arrogant board member shoot from the hip that a color is wrong or the spacing of pickets is to close. You get extra scrutiny, extra expense for "experts", years of delay and the result is a badly compromised design.

I would love to see the house that Jobs plans to build. It would probably be instantly significant and worthy of preservation. These commissions often overlook great architecture because it's deemed "modern".
  • Reply 86 of 144
    "Uphold Our Heritage"

Oh God, how I can't begin to comprehend these type of organizations. In the 200,000 years of human existence, or even just the few thousand we have "recorded", to suggest something made in the last 100 is worthy of preservation - that it deserves the same effort as the pyramids of Giza, is nuts.

That's the appropriate catch-all word for that type of thinking, nuts. They're crazy, certifiable!

We have books, photographs and museums. Our towns and cities cannot fall to eras long over, they must rise to today! Or should we take out some more forest instead? For heaven's sakes, just let the man have his house!

AND FIND SOMETHING BETTER TO DO!

EVER TRY HELPING CHILDREN READ?
  • Reply 87 of 144
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

'Their' is the possessive pronoun of 'they', 'they're' is the contraction of 'they are' (as you are aware). The inclusion of 'are' is extraneous and makes no sense. Can you describe why the inclusion of 'are' is needed?

You're not incorrect. My eyes conjoined two lines into one. It is they.
  • Reply 88 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soundsgoodtome View Post

but he already *is* losing -- by not being able to build the house he wants where he wants to build it.

steve knows about compromise. every time a song or an app is purchased from itunes, amazon gets a cut, because amazon patented "1-click." in business, compromises become necessary. years are rolling by -- years that he could be living in the house he wants -- because he won't just go ahead and move the existing house, himself.

that, my friend, is losing.

how my friend, can one lose if the game is not finished?
  • Reply 89 of 144
    Quote:

I don't completely agree. The type of reporting done on tech websites and the type of reporting done in the past is a completely different strategy. The writers here don't have the luxury of sitting on a story. It's fast passed and the focus is geared toward being accurate with the technical details more than the grammatical details. That is not to say that it should be ignored, on the contrary, but we should give a little more leniency that we would in the past.

As an example, just the other day when Apple reached 1B App Store apps downloaded there were forum members wondering why AI hadn't posted an article on it when plenty of other sites blogged about it. With so many blog sites being able to report on quick little snippets of info and the internet becoming even more entrenched in our lives this problem will only increase, especially on tech sites trying to hold your attention for more than two paragraph report like AI.

you imply that speed is of importance today, yet there are plenty of cases of inaccuracies of reporting from other sites, skewed for effect, skewed against a company or group, when a little time taken to research would produce FACTS. I think if grammar is "allowed" to slip and then "FACTS" it ceases to become useful.

adherence to the rules of good grammar, IF IT IS A TOOL OF YOU'RE PROFESSION can only help. Erosion starts small.
  • Reply 90 of 144
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,088member
    "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission". In this case, very true.

I can certainly understand Jobs' predicament with a historical building that no one wants. Torch the darn thing. Whatever penalty Jobs is slapped with, it will be peanuts compared to the drama he is going through to make it legit. Or, get that house infested with termites or other wood-rotting organisms and let nature take care of it for him.

The council may think it has some kind of historic value but no one wants to do anything with it. It's just typical political nonsense for trying to keep alive something with no real value to anyone.

I own/live-in a San Francisco Victorian. I can totally appreciate history and would never do anything to change the history of my house. It's worth preserving. However, sounds like Jobs' structure is just an eyesore. I would have no problem going in one night and cutting all the support beams and letting the thing fall after a nice wind storm. The city is just being stupid.

</rant>
  • Reply 91 of 144
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teslacoil6603 View Post

What does this have to do with Macs or Apple? Maybe next week you can list the minutes at the council meeting.

throw some news at the fanboys and watch them defending Jobs even knowing nothing of the story's background. amazing.
  • Reply 92 of 144
    Quote:

The preservation society considers Jackling House too important to destroy as it reflects a Spanish Colonial Revival style that has few remaining examples left

That's what photographs are for. Technology today, they could take high res images for future use in virtual reality and in the mean time, carve a model of the place out of rock with a placard or something and place it on the site 'here once stood' etc.

This kind of thing does my head in, like many have said, if its just going to sit there fall derelict, if it isn't already, and eventually collapse, whats the point? If they really want to preserve it, then they should buy it, not dictate what a private owner can and cannot do with his/her own property. I watch Grand designs (Channel 4, UK), and this happens a lot, it really annoys me.

Quote:

personally, i feel before steve leaves us... let him build his dream house... it would be a historic site, far more worthy 200 years from now than one from a copper magnate (jackling) that hardly anyone has heard of...

I couldn't agree more, imagine what Apple's designers would come up with!
  • Reply 93 of 144
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:

I don't completely agree. The type of reporting done on tech websites and the type of reporting done in the past is a completely different strategy. The writers here don't have the luxury of sitting on a story. It's fast passed and the focus is geared toward being accurate with the technical details more than the grammatical details. That is not to say that it should be ignored, on the contrary, but we should give a little more leniency that we would in the past.

As an example, just the other day when Apple reached 1B App Store apps downloaded there were forum members wondering why AI hadn't posted an article on it when plenty of other sites blogged about it. With so many blog sites being able to report on quick little snippets of info and the internet becoming even more entrenched in our lives this problem will only increase, especially on tech sites trying to hold your attention for more than two paragraph report like AI.

Exactamundo
  • Reply 94 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fast Fred 1 View Post

Probably have a glass staircase too.

I hate the glass staircases at the Apple Store. The steps flex under my gargantuan weight.
  • Reply 95 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

throw some news at the fanboys and watch them defending Jobs even knowing nothing of the story's background. amazing.

Groan. Another one.

Yeah, this is a 'fanboy' site. If you've got a problem with that, you should go elsewhere.
  • Reply 96 of 144
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    I have not seen or examined Jobs house, however the way we build houses in our country, in most cases, makes historic preservation difficult. Even in the case of big houses, all they do in set a floating slab, build a structure of 2x4 and 2x6 with nail guns. Add particle board walls and some plywood, Tyvek wrapping. Fake columns, decorative bricks, skinny stucco, all protected with rubber looking shingles. Very fake... vulnerable to termites, rot, fire, etc. How does anybody expect this junk to last more than a few decades?

Anybody who has travelled around to Europe, Asia will note that the structures are built of stone, reinforced cement concrete, etc. Even private houses last for centuries... though they do need renovation depending on the construction.

I am glad that Steve Jobs is healthy enough to contemplate building a new house... and has the fight to take on the city council. Most of these city councils, municipalities are blood sucking leeches, freeloading at the expense of the taxpayers. They hire their relatives, buddies and give their associates nice contracts. Now that the economy is weak, they are desperate.
  • Reply 97 of 144
    kerrybkerryb Posts: 270member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akhomerun View Post

While certainly this building is of historical value, I don't see historical societies have established such a grip on local governments. I don't understand how you can have your property rights taken away because you own something "historical."

If you think about it, this house was a McMansion at the time it was built. I'm sure hundreds of other millionaires of the day built the exact same style of home.

And honestly a house from 1925 isn't all that historical when you consider the fact that it's probably newer than a large percentage of European, African, and Asian buildings.

If he can't even give the house away for free the historical society needs to back off. Not everything from the past is worth saving. And like others have said, if they can't put up the cash to save it, then it's the owner's choice (or it should be).

I guess you don't know what a McMansion is, a over-sized cheaply made cookie cutter home built by contractors (not architects of any note) with middle class taste. Jobs' house does not fit that description and yes 6000 sq ft is a mansion in that time with rooms for live in servants showing how needlessly big today's homes are built. So called "bonus rooms" typlify the over consumption and waste of materials the US has indulged in the past 2 decades.

Back to Jobs' place he certainly has enough money to demolish his house and handle any fines or lawsuits that may come from that action. I haven't seen more than one picture of the building and can't say the preservationists are not over zealous or not. I agree with another statement posted here there has to be time limits on these things, if nobody wants the house for free then what is it really worth.
  • Reply 98 of 144
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I guess you don't know what a McMansion is, a over-sized cheaply made cookie cutter home built by contractors (not architects of any note) with middle class taste.

Supposedly the architect of the Jackling House was an artist and architect of note. I don't remember coming across the name of the architect of the replacement house.
  • Reply 99 of 144
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Whoa.

Besides the fight regarding this home. I have to say that it must be nice to even be in such a situation! My wife and I have a 1800sqft home that cost about $155,000 (Texas is cheap). It was the most we were able to easily afford.

17,000 sqft...6000sqft.....millions of dollars in ONE HOUSE. By the gods!!!
  • Reply 100 of 144
    I know this house rather well... I used to consume mass amounts of unmentionable substances in the ballroom (the pipe organ is no longer there). It was an impressive home for sure and original builders (Jacklings) had reason to be proud but ... it is by no means historic in the way that other Woodside homes are... such as Filoli (Heaven Can Wait, Dynasty), the Buck Estate (Little Miss Marple) and the Fleischaher estate. Just because a house is old and huge, doesn't make it historical.

http://gallery.me.com/macntek#100008

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OS11 View Post

The jackling house is 17,000 sqf... Steve wants to build 6,000 sqf... you have it flipped...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackling_House

personally, i feel before steve leaves us... let him build his dream house... it would be a historic site, far more worthy 200 years from now than one from a copper magnate (jackling) that hardly anyone has heard of...