Inside Steve Jobs' abandoned Jackling mansion (photos)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs stayed home last night to catch up on some much needed rest while his attorney made another go at convincing a local review board that he should be free to demolish a historic but abandoned mansion -- seen in these rare photos -- that has fallen into a state of disrepair.

Jobs has been petitioning for the right to raze the 14-room, 17,250-square-foot structure in California's Woodside woods for eight years so that he can erect a smaller, contemporary style home for his family.

The Jackling House, so it's called, was built back in 1925 for copper mining mogul Daniel Jackling. Preservationists have opposed Jobs' efforts, arguing that it represents one of the few remaining examples of a Spanish Colonial Revival style home and is therefore too historic to destroy. They also allege that Jobs, who reportedly lived in the house sometime between the 80's and 90's, intentionally let the house fall apart so that it would be easier to justify a case for tearing it down.

"I don't think he would be strong enough if we were here until 1 a.m., and I think there's a strong possibility of that," Jobs' attorney Howard Ellman told the Woodside Town Council on Tuesday, referring to the health issues that have forced the Apple co-founder into a temporary leave from his leadership role at the company through June.

Indeed, reports the Palo Alto Daily News, the review board was still hearing arguments at 10:30 in the evening from both preservationists like the Uphold Our Heritage organization, that has once overturned Jobs' permit to demolish the structure, as well as locals who side with his property rights.

As part of his latest effort to persuade the council on Jobs' behalf, Ellman presented a detailed cost analysis showing that it would take $13.3 million to restore the mansion, or more than $5 million more than it would cost Jobs to simply get rid of it and build a new one. An appeals board had previously suggested such a sum would be sufficient grounds for Jobs to move forward.

Still, preservationists and former residents maintained Tuesday that all resources to preserve the house haven't been exhausted. They're now proposing that Woodside commission an independent firm to draw up the costs of carefully dismantling the dilapidated structure so it can be relocated and then resurrected. A decision on the matter is expected at a later meeting.

A couple of years ago, photographer Jonathan Haeber stumbled upon the Jackling house to find its property gate ajar and the doors and broken windows to the house wide open. Below are a series of rare, and at times spooky, photos of the moldering mansion, which has now been abandoned for over a decade.Â*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 210
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    I hope that movie wasn't a rental.
  • Reply 2 of 210
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"I don't think he would be strong enough if we were here until 1 a.m., and I think there's a strong possibility of that," Jobs' attorney Howard Ellman told the Woodside Town Council on Tuesday, referring to the health issues that have forced the Apple co-founder into a temporary leave from his leadership role at the company through June.

He can't stay up 'til 1am? That's sure to ignite speculation. He's supposed to be back

at work in a month . . .

About the photos of the house, wouldn't the wandering photographer be guilty of

breaking and entering?

I kind of like the place, though! It's got personality!
  • Reply 3 of 210
    Hey, isn't that the house Schwarzenegger raided to save his daughter in Commando?

At least it comes with built-in house plants and creepy pipe organ.
  • Reply 4 of 210
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    These posts are getting creepy.
  • Reply 5 of 210
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

About the photos of the house, wouldn't the wandering photographer be guilty of

breaking and entering?

Yeah, but the Calif. statute of limitations for this violation has since passed.

K
  • Reply 6 of 210
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Common Jobs, turn that into a B&B for geeks and make another fortune.
  • Reply 7 of 210
    p3i2n1p3i2n1 Posts: 4member
    wow, brilliant photog's! however, i don't think i would want to live in a place that has had a serious mold infestation. Those don't just go away.
  • Reply 8 of 210
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    They should have photoshopped in a ghost-like figure playing the organ...
  • Reply 9 of 210
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I just love these people who think it is there mission to tell you what you can and can not do with your property. Another example of others dictating what they think is important. It is his damn property let him do with it as he likes, who cares it represents how someone built a house almost 100 yrs ago. If those people wanted to save it they should have bought it.
  • Reply 10 of 210
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Personally I think it looks like its ready to be featured in a episode of ghost hunters. Even better let the tv show supernatural shoot there and have them accidentally blow it up.

I think it is ugly and I have a big problem with this outside group stepping in and causing this delay. If they want to save it so badly pony up the bucks to move it. Otherwise fire up the bulldozers and let em rip!
  • Reply 11 of 210
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    He should just run a monster truck into it "accidentally". What're they gonna do? Arrest him?
  • Reply 12 of 210
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    i agree with jobs though, the place is pretty hideous.

i mean, historic and significant, but hideous.
  • Reply 13 of 210
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    One helluva reno job! Actually I like it the way it is. Why is there a light in the window, by the way? Bela Lugosi must be in.
  • Reply 14 of 210
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

I just love these people who think it is there mission to tell you what you can and can not do with your property. Another example of others dictating what they think is important. It is his damn property let him do with it as he likes, who cares it represents how someone built a house almost 100 yrs ago. If those people wanted to save it they should have bought it.

Yah, and while we are at it, we should be able to put our parents down when they get too old.
  • Reply 15 of 210
    lemcenlemcen Posts: 5member
    I want that organ!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 210
    thats what she said

hahahahaha

in all seriousness though, it is a sweet pipe organ.
  • Reply 17 of 210
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

There actually laws governing what you can and cannot do with your personal property - zoning laws, building codes, and such. And in condos or cluster homes there are home owners associations that limit your choices of exterior style and or color and mandate lawn care etc - of course in those cases you should know what you getting into before hand.

Since he got a legal permit to tear down that structure and build another one that should be the end of it. I had to laugh when I read that someone who once lived in that house was leading the charge against its destruction. It is these 11th hour folks who muck up the process - and are they really interested in saving that house or just getting free press for their cause.

I thought this country was founded on the belief that it is okay to have a difference of opinion and no one (or one group) can force its will on the population in general (ever heard of separation of church and state). But then of course we have bans on stem cell research and whatnot. I guess what we are best at now a days is preaching one thing and practicing another. A free market that is not free - separation of church and state that allows religious beliefs to dictate policy etc.
  • Reply 18 of 210
    helmsbhelmsb Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Yah, and while we are at it, we should be able to put our parents down when they get too old.

Not EVEN remotely the same thing. We are talking about private property that he rightly paid for. If they want to preserve it they should buy it from Jobs. Then they can do what ever they want with it.
  • Reply 19 of 210
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    That's more Sir Anthony Hopkins' "Silence of the Lambs" house then a Steve Jobs, Computer Genius, esq. house!

Steve should "rent" it out to Hollywood for all their horror movies genres!
  • Reply 20 of 210
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

was that the most brain dead response you could think of? tearing down an old house has nothing to do with killing your parents when they are too old... put the paint chips down, you aren't supposed to be eating them.