Briefly: iPhone Software 3.0 taking better camera snapshots

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Beta versions of Apple's iPhone 3.0 software are consistently producing clearer, more detailed photos when running on the same iPhone 3G hardware as the latest public release of the software, new tests show.

The folks over at iPhones.ru ran a series of tests 30 times over in which they compared photos of the same objects or scenes taken on an iPhone 3G running iPhone Software 2.2.1 with another running a beta of iPhone Software 3.0.

They claim that in most cases, the iPhone running 3.0 produced photos with noticeably better quality and clarity than the iPhone running 2.2.1. A pair of comparison photos exemplifying their findings can be seen below.

Intrigued, Gizmodo followed up with a brief test of its own in a dark lighting scenario -- one of the iPhone camera's weak spots -- and similarly found the iPhone running 3.0 to have produced a much clearer snapshot with better detail in dark areas of the scene (seen, below, in the second pair of photos).

There's therefore some speculation that Apple may be making tweaks to the iPhone's Camera software that make it better at exposing bright light sources while reducing overexposure of photos taken in low lighting scenarios.

A handful of third-party iPhone apps have long attempted to address the iPhone's propensity to produce poor photos in dark lighting, like Night Camera, which leverages the handset's accelerometer to snap a photo the instant it feels the iPhone is most stable in the user's hand.

If Apple is indeed making improvements to the iPhone's camera app, those changes should benefit users of both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, both of which sport a 2.0 megapixel digital camera.

The company's next-generation iPhone hardware has been rumored to include a 3.2 megapixel camera. AppleInsider was also first to report in March that this new camera will be capable of taking video.

iPhone Software 3.0 is due out sometime this summer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 170
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Yep, they look better.
  • Reply 2 of 170
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yep, they look better.

Definitely.
  • Reply 3 of 170
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    I'm just waiting for 3.0...delta, not beta.
  • Reply 4 of 170
    801801 Posts: 271member
    A feature to improve video capture?
  • Reply 5 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    While it's interesting that they "look better" now, it also rather sad that 2 years later with the same camera only now produces better results. Video could have also been captured with the same camera- no doubt. In other words it's not the camera but the software that was lacking- as I've always stated but was struck down by the fanboyz.
  • Reply 6 of 170
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

A feature to improve video capture?

I thought I had read somewhere that the camera doesn't lend itself to video capture very well. I'm not able to find the article though.
  • Reply 7 of 170
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Sweet! That's quite an improvement indeed. I see it as proof that megapixel count is highly overrated, there's too many other factors at work.

I wonder if it's also able to snap closeups such as UPC symbols, etc. in better focus. I suspect not though as that's a limitation of the lens?
  • Reply 8 of 170
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

I thought I had read somewhere that the camera doesn't lend itself to video capture very well. I'm not able to find the article though.

Dude- a $29 no name brand cellphone can capture video if the software is there. Blame Apple on not having that for 2 years not the camera.
  • Reply 9 of 170
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It was quite clear when taking pictures that there was something wrong with the software as the image quality changes dynamically based on the light intensity. If you put an object on a dark background vs a light background, the iphone automatically corrects the overall image in software and can make the same object appear completely different.

Some color noise removal would have been a nice addition but you can see in the shadows that problem is still there. A Photoshop filter improves this but they could have implemented it directly on the phone.
  • Reply 10 of 170
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While it's interesting that they "look better" now, it also rather sad that 2 years later with the same camera only now produces better results. Video could have also been captured with the same camera- no doubt. In other words it's not the camera but the software that was lacking- as I've always stated but was struck down by the fanboyz.

Can't argue with you on that, but hey at least there is an improvement. Makes me feel that my 3G phone won't be completely obsolete!
  • Reply 11 of 170
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Dude- a $29 no name brand camera can capture video if the software is there. Blame Apple on not having that for 2 years not the camera.

Dude - If it's just software why isn't the jailbroken program good at capturing it? Cause it sucks.
  • Reply 12 of 170
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    I think it's cool they can make the camera better through better programming, but I don't think it's cool that they package it up and wait 2 years to attempt to do so. Maybe another 2 years from now they'll allow flash and that'll be just another little incentive not to jump ship when the contract expires.

I wish HTC would take a lesson from Apple and update their camera on the touch pro. It's a decent camera for a phone, but it definitely has much more potential.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Dude - If it's just software why isn't the jailbroken program good at capturing it? Cause it sucks.

This IS just software. People can say it's an artificial limitation, but it could also just be a planned upgrade. There is such thing as a software development life cycle, and some SDLC's last longer than others. Why hold back the release of a good phone because one piece of the software isn't finished?
  • Reply 13 of 170
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It was quite clear when taking pictures that there was something wrong with the software as the image quality changes dynamically based on the light intensity. If you put an object on a dark background vs a light background, the iphone automatically corrects the overall image in software and can make the same object appear completely different.

Some color noise removal would have been a nice addition but you can see in the shadows that problem is still there. A Photoshop filter improves this but they could have implemented it directly on the phone.

The noise can to some degree be put down to the sensor and the lens though can't it? This same software running on the newer, better hardware would produce excellent pictures. At least as good as your average Canon point and click IMO.

If as the rumour goes, Apple is coming out with a new iPhone and a new "video" iPhone, it wouldn't make sense for them to use the same hardware, otherwise why not enable video on the non video enabled iPhone? So if it's true that this is in the plans, then this would allow Apple to say that the picture quality has been improved across the board (even for 3G!), but that if you really want to you can go full HD, and full video by buying the new high end model.
  • Reply 14 of 170
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Hey Ballmer! It's the software, stupid!
  • Reply 15 of 170
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Why hold back the release of a good phone because one piece of the software isn't finished?

Thank you, iStink - well said. Now tell that to all the other haters who nitpick about individual features lacking from the iPhone while they neglect the "big picture." It's quite obvious that at least 17 million people are willing to overlook a small number of individual features in exchange for a superior overall experience.
  • Reply 16 of 170
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    the differences between pictures seem indeed to be introduced by digital processing. No cheating is seen.
  • Reply 17 of 170
    fezzasusfezzasus Posts: 36member
    The difference in photo quality looks suspiciously drastic for just a software upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if most of what the comparison photos are showing is grease on the lense of the iphone running 2.2.1
  • Reply 18 of 170
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Who knows what that machine is?

My guess Russian ATM???

So if thats the case Pussy & Money are the photographers subjects?

Woah.
  • Reply 19 of 170
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

Dude, there is this little thing called "time," and this other thing called "work."

Something being possible, does not equate to there being "no reason" why it can't be done. The first camera software was a fantastic achievement considering the pictures it produces are far better than any other camera with the same modest specs can produce. After years of hard work by lots and lots of people it's about to get a bit better, but you are critical of this? WTF?

I know I bug you sometimes by referring to your arguments as juvenile, but this goes to the heart of that. Apple is getting set to present you with this great present wherein the iPhone camera will take better pictures than it has before, it's FREE, and all you have to say is (effectively) "shoulda come sooner?"

And you wonder why people sometimes think of your statements as petulant or immature?

If someone invented an anti-gravity device tomorrow morning, would you just say "it's about time?" Or do you actually have any idea of the amount of hard work that goes into things like software development (and anti-gravity devices)?

Why don't you just buy an iPhone and get it over with? We all know you rarely criticise the Apple products you actually buy, just the ones you know nothing about.
  • Reply 20 of 170
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

Thank you, iStink - well said. Now tell that to all the other haters who nitpick about individual features lacking from the iPhone while they neglect the "big picture." It's quite obvious that at least 17 million people are willing to overlook a small number of individual features in exchange for a superior overall experience.

Well the only gripe I have about it is how they release the updates. Wouldn't it be better to release things as they're finished, and not bundle them up as one big release? For all we know this camera enhancement has been finished for the past 4 months, know what I mean? It doesn't matter much now because all that waiting will result in what people have been asking for, but if MMS was done at Christmas, imagine how many Christmas photos could have been sent lol.

But that's all speculation. Each development team could have just been given a deadline and some teams worked feverishly everyday to meet the deadline while others spread their work out and lollygagged because they knew they would be done in time no problem.

Ok, I'm done ranting