Microsoft's ads doing damage to Apple: study

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 178
    pohlpohl Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    You can't bring down the GIANT.



    Now Microsoft will try with Windows 7. They listened to the customers and now the efforts are paying off.



    I wonder if it will pay off well enough for Microsoft to be brave enough to mention their own product in their ads. They've been a little sheepish about their current offering.
  • Reply 22 of 178
    manfrommarsmanfrommars Posts: 104member
    I'm not a PC fan but I'm thrilled that Microsoft is keeping Apple on its toes.



    Competition is good for Apple and it forces them to constantly strive to protect their market share by impressing their consumer base with better hardware and better software.



    In short, Apple has to work harder for us. That's not bad.
  • Reply 23 of 178
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    I've been a Windows user for around 8 years. Then, with much thought, jumped to the Mac bandwagon around 3 years back. And one thing is for sure, there's no going back! In 8 years of my Windows experience, i had to spend a lot more time fixing the damn thing than actually using it! Ever since i got a Mac, trust me, i've never had to force shutdown my laptop. I am pretty sure i am more than willing to pay extra for peace of mind, reliability, ease of use, speed and the looks of course!

    As far as these ads are considered, it'll only affect the immature minds. The minds that lack the logic to compare Windows and Mac and find out which one is better.
  • Reply 24 of 178
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    Probably...



    Just like Apple is trying very hard to get over the 10% marketshare in computers... Its taken how long? L>O>N>G!



    You can't bring down the GIANT.



    Now Microsoft will try with Windows 7. They listened to the customers and now the efforts are paying off.





    Mac will have to be that much better iMO to remain at or above 8%



    Could you at least try to be a good troll? Apple isn't directly competing with Microsoft. They are competing with the likes of HP, Dell, Acer, etc and they all happen to use Windows (not due to its superiority, but due to a lack of other options as Apple doesn't license its OS out). Given the limited number of computer models Apple produces, they do quite well compared to HP or anyone else. Individual mac computers are always at or near the top in total #'s sold on a model by model basis.



    Apple could increase market share by producing more computer models (for example, a traditional desktop) but the more models they produce, the less time they can spend on each model and build quality and the overall level of system wide integration would diminish. Personally, I am quite happy to pay more for a better computer (there is more to a computer than processor speed, ram and hard drive size), and if their market share stays low because they focus on making a few good PC's instead of a bunch of crap ones, I'm fine with that.
  • Reply 25 of 178
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manfrommars View Post


    I'm not a PC fan but I'm thrilled that Microsoft is keeping Apple on its toes.



    Competition is good for Apple and it forces them to constantly strive to protect their market share by impressing their consumer base with better hardware and better software.



    In short, Apple has to work harder for us. That's not bad.



    I don't think Apple needs a Windows-push to strive for development. Apple is a company that thrives on creativity and improvisation. Even if there was no Microsoft, Apple would still be as creative and good as it is now. Maybe it's in their company culture.
  • Reply 26 of 178
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    No one is to blame but Apple...



    For years Apple has poked at Microsoft. For years Microsoft stayed quiet.



    It was only a matter of time before they upset the GIANT...



    Now Microsoft is fighting back... I am surprised it took them this long...



    Apple will have to come out with new Ads as the current ones will not work with Windows 7.



    Dude you sound like a Microsoft fan boy what you Pre-Ordered Windows 7 already?
  • Reply 27 of 178
    le studiosle studios Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post


    F@#k Microsoft.



    I second that motion! I'm done with Micorosft crap! If there are bunch of dumb people that want cheap computers that going to get viruses and a faulty OS then let them do it. The 1st Amendment does covers a right to be a dumb a**!
  • Reply 28 of 178
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post


    I think, as usual, you are missing the point italiankid. Ads do not have to have a basis in fact to be effective. That is the whole premise of the MS campaign.



    Apple has also been doing this for a long time. I have to use Win XP at work and I have had multiple machines running for years in some cases without a blue screen or a virus. On the other hand, I've had 3 crashes this year with my iMac at home. It's always something to do with bluetooth, but non the less happened.
  • Reply 29 of 178
    jawportajawporta Posts: 140member
    Instead of spending millions on those dumb I'm a Mac ads. just make the computers cheaper. There's no way that white MacBook should cost $999, it should be $600 tops. The top case cracks and the hard drive is crap.



    The MacBook Air. $500. It's slow, has no ports and less parts than the MacBook.
  • Reply 30 of 178
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    It's dead easy for anyone to play the "we're cheaper" card during a recession. There's always a lot more of the lowest common denominator.



    Except it won't last.



    And people will realize just what Windows is after x number of hours of usage. And then we're back to the usual perspectives.



    Next.
  • Reply 31 of 178
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post


    Instead of spending millions on those dumb I'm a Mac ads. just make the computers cheaper. There's no way that white MacBook should cost $999, it should be $600 tops. The top case cracks and the hard drive is crap.



    The MacBook Air. $500. It's slow, has no ports and less parts than the MacBook.



    I'm sorry but $600 is a bit off. I don't think I could purchase a decent PC for that price that gives pretty fast graphics and FW400 powered.



    *&^(&) Microsoft !
  • Reply 32 of 178
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LE Studios View Post


    Dude you sound like a Microsoft fan boy what you Pre-Ordered Windows 7 already?



    None of his posts make sense.



    He's one of those masochistic types that chooses to live with Windows because of what's supposed to be in the NEXT VERSION. That's the Windows way. In 2000 they were bleating that ME was just an anomaly (as if 98 was actually good) and that XP will be "the one." Then XP was inflicted on those poor WIndows users and not only did the interface look like ass, but it also shipped with FIVE OPEN PORTS. Virus time!! Thanks, MS!! And this was in 2001, no less, when being online was a daily reality. But have no fear, Longhorn will save the day. Until it was canned and replaced by Vista. Then we were told that "Vista is going to rock!" All the testers seemed to have removed their brains from their heads while playing with the betas because inexplicably, mysteriously, Vista was a flop. In many ways worse than XP. And that's after what, 6 YEARS of development! Where did all the R&D money go? Oh, right, the Zune. Yeah, it reeealllly shows.



    And now . . . testers are again, as with Vista, tripping over themselves even more, since they're so hard up and desperate for a decent OS, hopefully sometime during this half-century. And they're willing to believe anything beyond belief that it's true.



    MS:



    "We know our OS is subpar . . . again . . . but really, just wait for the NEXT VERSION. This time we mean it. Really. Everything will be fine in the NEXT VERSION. Seriously, why can't you just wait patiently? Just look at the NEXT VERSION_$MOCKUPS until then. Relax, like your time and money is so important!"
  • Reply 33 of 178
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post


    Instead of spending millions on those dumb I'm a Mac ads. just make the computers cheaper. There's no way that white MacBook should cost $999, it should be $600 tops. The top case cracks and the hard drive is crap.



    The MacBook Air. $500. It's slow, has no ports and less parts than the MacBook.



    I love when people state what the prices should be on tech forums. While a lower price obviously attracts more customers a company in a free market can charge what they wish providing they are not illegally crippling the market.



    Since I?m sure your well thought out and stated prices for the aforementioned Macs are based on comparisons of other machines PCs we know that other machines are available at lower prices so Apple is not abusing any monopoly situation of that would not be possible. So?
    1. Why do you think the MBA should be $500 when the CPU along cost over $300?

    2. How do you justify the $300-$1000+ price for a netbook when you can get a 15-16? notebook with a faster CPU, more RAM, more HDD, running Vista over XP or Linux, with a lot more ports, a DVD burner for $400?

  • Reply 34 of 178
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post


    F@#k Microsoft.



    Word!
  • Reply 35 of 178
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Quote:

    The Dell XPS in the Microsoft ads has a serious 'screen open blocks heat vent' issue that severely overheats the machine so much that it burns your legs.



    Come on dude, its a Dell! just drill a couple extra holes in it wherever you think will help. Its not like it will change the aesthetics any.
  • Reply 36 of 178
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post


    I think, as usual, you are missing the point italiankid. Ads do not have to have a basis in fact to be effective. That is the whole premise of the MS campaign.



    If what Apple is doing is effective (and i think they probably are due for a change in direction) they can keep on slamming MS products as buggy, security problems, etc. as long as people still perceive them that way no matter how "wonderful" windows 7 will be.



    Keep in MIND windows 7 security is better ONLY, ONLY, ONLY because MS moved where things are stored! Virus's for 7 have already been developed and changed however are NOT being sent to the wild until Week 2 of release (depending on release take)... This was told to MANY MANY people who write stuff like that (not that I know any... I DO NOT take part-anymore).



    Old virus's modified for 7 will take effect in the same manner.



    And as a user of 7, it's not bad but it doesn't come with anything in fact it comes with LESS than Vista or XP. It's also having issues with LDAP in 2008... the PC goes to sleep and upon wakening will not reconnect to LDAP (LDAP is AD in 08') without a restart. This was the latest build (Public beta with 3 update).



    I still prefer to run Vista over 7.



    As for the poll... I ran a poll with 5000 people and everyone sad MS sucked and they were never gonna use their stuff again... I ran it outside an office in Cuppertino, does that matter?
  • Reply 37 of 178
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post


    Instead of spending millions on those dumb I'm a Mac ads. just make the computers cheaper. There's no way that white MacBook should cost $999, it should be $600 tops. The top case cracks and the hard drive is crap.



    The MacBook Air. $500. It's slow, has no ports and less parts than the MacBook.



    Find a PC laptop with aluminum and glass shell, 1066 bus, wireless N, bluetooth 2.0, under 5lbs with a 5hr battery life. You can include plastic shelled units if you like but keep the specs the same.



    Find a PC laptop under 3.2lbs that has a real CPU and is less than 1/2" thick CLOSED, then make your MBAir point.



    Then you can make your point. You want a quality PC, buy a Mac. You want creaky plastic running 2 year old high end parts buy anything else.
  • Reply 38 of 178
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post


    Sure, every company would love to see its market share grow but to equate market share percentage with business success is wrong. How else is Rolls Royce still around? It puts out a superb product and is not going to go with a laminated wood grain console to shave a few pennies so that it can increase its market share when it knows its customers want the real wood and pay more for the quality product.









    David did a number on Goliath! Didn't he?









    'Now MS will "try" with Windows 7'??? Doesn't sound like you have a whole lot of confidence in their new OS to place your bet. Perhaps it's time to fold your cards! If MS was listening to their customers, they would have dropped Vista sooner and stuck with "XP". Let's hope MS has got it right now for their customer base. It's taken how L>O>N>G and XP's support by MS will end in a round six years and that will be here before you know it. But what will those XP'ers do if Windows 7 blows and MS says this is it, take it or leave it until Windows 8, 9, 10, 11! Maybe then Mac market share goes up???







    Considering Microsoft efforts to bring a Mac like feel to their OS, I thought Macs were much better. If not, why would MS want to emulate after a loser!



    because they can lol
  • Reply 39 of 178
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    because they can lol



    No. Because they haven't had an interesting, remotely compelling idea since Clippy. And because they either don't know how or are unable to attract the best minds in the business. Those have all gone to Apple, where all the interesting and compelling things in the industry are actually happening in an environment which fosters the same.
  • Reply 40 of 178
    Soap powder advertising works too, brand x washes whiter. Much is down to what

    is fresh in the memory, most recent. Repeating stuff works too, most important.



    The survey was conducted by a marketing industry company, reported by an

    advertising mag and and the conclusion drawn is that marketing/advertising works.

    Does that pass the bullshit test?



    Can we see the other metrics on the tabs in the graph image?



    BrandIndex (YouGov) is an international internet-based market research firm so it's

    fair to suggest that the results mirror internet users perceptions rather than general

    public although no doubt YouGov will say weighting accounts for such things.



    They pay people for filling in surveys, would such people buy Macs anyway?

    Hardly matters really, the survey is about perception :-)



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouGov
Sign In or Register to comment.