Microsoft's ads doing damage to Apple: study

Comments

• Reply 121 of 178
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this. The only way your statements are true is if you are the most incompetent computer user in the world and then insisted on running Windows on a failing hard drive (which would also make you incompetent).

Or maybe you shouldn't have picked up your copy of XP from a Torrent site.

After switching to Mac, I'm still incompetent - but my machine isn't.

And that, my friend, is no BS.
  • Reply 122 of 178
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

The PC trackpads are still too small, even if it's possible to enable multi-touch on them. The lack of physical buttons allows Apple to make theirs bigger, which gives me twice as much scroll space on one swipe of my finger.

Yeah, I see how that would feel more comfortable. It's what you've become accustomed to though, and the same can be said by people in the opposite situation. They might dislike the absent buttons. As far as scroll space goes, if you increase the mouse speed all the way like I did on my moms, it becomes much less of an issue.

If you're ever forced to use a pc laptop's track pad, just increase sensitivity and scroll speed to max and you'll be as comfortable as you can get on a pc (which unfortunately might still not be as comfortable as a macbook ;P)
  • Reply 123 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

Congratulations for sounding like you're part of that 90% you mentioned even if you are a Mac user.

It's arrogant, dumb a** comments like this make me never want to mention the fact that I own a Mac to people. I certainly don't want to be associated with pricks like you, but unfortunately your kind seems to be nearly half of the Apple using population.

I like u
  • Reply 124 of 178
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

As a user of 7, it's not bad but it doesn't come with anything in fact it comes with LESS than Vista or XP.

Maybe because its a beta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

As for the poll... I ran a poll with 5000 people and everyone sad MS sucked and they were never gonna use their stuff again... I ran it outside an office in Cupertino, does that matter?

My magic 8 ball says yes.
  • Reply 125 of 178
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

Hey now, WalMart has low prices, which means stupid poor people must shop there, which means it would lower Apple's "brand integrity" if they sold to these morons. Lets be realistic here. Stupid white trash that shop at WalMart have no place in the Apple community!

</sarcasm> (For those who don't understand it on the internet :P)

Next you'll be saying that fat people have no place owning thin computers.
  • Reply 126 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Probably...

Just like Apple is trying very hard to get over the 10% marketshare in computers... Its taken how long? L>O>N>G!

You can't bring down the GIANT.

Now Microsoft will try with Windows 7. They listened to the customers and now the efforts are paying off.

Mac will have to be that much better iMO to remain at or above 8%

What is it that you think is so great about Windows 7? It's still Vista, it just has a closer-to-Mac coating of paint. Is that what you are implying that the customers have been asking for? People on XP will still have the same issues moving to 7 as if they moved to Vista now. I've used 7 and I'm not really that impressed, at all. I was thinking about upgrading Vista right away but after using their "dockbar" (taskbar/dock monstrosity), seeing their poor implementation of the Finder's sidebar, and seeing what little there is to offer, I can't really find a reason to do so anymore, unless it is steeply discounted, which I doubt will happen.

At least with Snow Leo there will be some serious under-the-hood changes (Grand Central, Open CL, fully 64 bit, etc.)
  • Reply 127 of 178
    johnnashjohnnash Posts: 129member
    Apple basically brought this on themselves. Yes M$ has it's share of problems but Apple is just as guilty of spreading disinformation as M$ is, now it's coming back to them. Yes Vista was a horrible piece of crap in the beginning but it's stable now and was even before their ad campaigns began. M$ is just paying them back.

BTW not a M$ fanboy, posting this using my MBP, but I do run XP in Parallels.
  • Reply 128 of 178
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Apple basically brought this on themselves. Yes M$ has it's share of problems but Apple is just as guilty of spreading disinformation as M$ is, now it's coming back to them. Yes Vista was a horrible piece of crap in the beginning but it's stable now and was even before their ad campaigns began. M$ is just paying them back.

Lot's of truth in that. You play the game, you gonna pay the price.

I can only imagine what's next- we'll see the Dell Dude (hair now dyed black, dressed like Justin Long) airheading about MAcs while the MIT grad & Corporate Banker show him that they prefer Windows. You'll see- payback is a BITCH.
  • Reply 129 of 178
    Quote:

Hey now, WalMart has low prices, which means stupid poor people must shop there, which means it would lower Apple's "brand integrity" if they sold to these morons. Lets be realistic here. Stupid white trash that shop at WalMart have no place in the Apple community!

</sarcasm> (For those who don't understand it on the internet :P)

Don't kid yourself, there are actually people who think like that...

Case in point:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmy01 View Post

You really have to be an ignorant low class idiot to be a Windows user/deliberate PC buyer. There is no other way to put it. MS bet that 90% of the world population are imbeciles. Turns out they were right. Apple doesn't have to rule the world. We don't want that trash anyhow...MS can KEEP IT.

• Reply 130 of 178
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

No. Because they haven't had an interesting, remotely compelling idea since Clippy.

That's hilarious.

And all too true.

But sadly the Borg lives on and on, having captured the mindset of IT departments worldwide decades ago, who continue to bow to Redmond whether they like it or not.

You see, always having something that constantly needs fixing and/or monitoring is what corporate IT is all about.

It's called job security....
  • Reply 131 of 178
    podikipodiki Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jawporta View Post

Instead of spending millions on those dumb I'm a Mac ads. just make the computers cheaper. There's no way that white MacBook should cost $999, it should be $600 tops. The top case cracks and the hard drive is crap.

The MacBook Air. $500. It's slow, has no ports and less parts than the MacBook.

You're forgetting to mention the crap screen...
  • Reply 132 of 178
    podikipodiki Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

By the way,

The Dell XPS in the Microsoft ads has a serious 'screen open blocks heat vent' issue that severely overheats the machine so much that it burns your legs.

It also has a drastically shortened battery life (because of the heat issue perhaps)

What sort of savings is that if the dam thing is going to fail sooner than expected? It actually costs more in premature replacement.

You're bashing Dell because of heat issues? Isn't that the number one issue with Apple laptops?
  • Reply 133 of 178
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

So let me get this straight. You're not a real M$ fanboy.... you just play one on the internet?
  • Reply 134 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

So let me get this straight. You're not a real M$ fanboy.... you just play one on the internet?

I know your comment was lighthearted but it actually sheds light on something that I find disturbing; For whatever reason, people choose to believe someone has to be either for or against a company like Microsoft or Apple. If I ever defend Apple in pc forums, I get called an Apple fanboy troll. If I defend Microsoft or speak out against Apple in anyway here, I get called a Microsoft fanboy troll.

johnnash is just speaking truth. Apple's ads are misleading when it comes to "informing" potential customers about their competition. It's misinformation. But in response to that, all I can say is, IT'S AN ADVERTISEMENT lol. How many axe commercials do you see before you're convinced you'll get your brains f***ed out after applying their scent to your armpits?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Listening to an Apple or Microsoft ad does not make someone an informed consumer. No matter how frustrating a Microsoft ad is to anyone here, they should take a look at Apple's ads and try to understand they are no better.

sry for the rant
  • Reply 135 of 178
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Yeah, right!
  • Reply 136 of 178
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I did not read every post, so I am not sure if someone said this....

Look at the graph, you can not draw any conclusion let alone correlation between what Apple maybe doing or what MS may be doing.

The graph starts at the beginning of the year and both were relatively the same and they both tanked as the economy tanked , then they both started to come back as the world was looking for any bright starts, then Apple tanked again as speculation about what Apple was going to do next and if Jobs was coming back and so on.

So does this measure people's value opinion of both companies or how they been feeling overall about the economy.

Again we have a group of MBA's doing some sort of data analysis and trying to show correlation where none may exist.

It is all FUD and I believe another attempt to manipulate the stock price
  • Reply 137 of 178
    Quote:

I know your comment was lighthearted but it actually sheds light on something that I find disturbing; For whatever reason, people choose to believe someone has to be either for or against a company like Microsoft or Apple. If I ever defend Apple in pc forums, I get called an Apple fanboy troll. If I defend Microsoft or speak out against Apple in anyway here, I get called a Microsoft fanboy troll.

johnnash is just speaking truth. Apple's ads are misleading when it comes to "informing" potential customers about their competition. It's misinformation. But in response to that, all I can say is, IT'S AN ADVERTISEMENT lol. How many axe commercials do you see before you're convinced you'll get your brains f***ed out after applying their scent to your armpits?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Listening to an Apple or Microsoft ad does not make someone an informed consumer. No matter how frustrating a Microsoft ad is to anyone here, they should take a look at Apple's ads and try to understand they are no better.

sry for the rant

Two words: w00t w00t!
  • Reply 138 of 178
    Quote:

I almost didn't know if I should respond to this. This comment is so disgustingly ignorant it probably doesn't doesn't deserve attention from anybody. You say Apple is better off without stupid people, and yet here you are, saying things like this.

Well the world is better off without mediocrity and yet that's what MS offers, and essentially what you are defending, what 90% of the world accepts, ( through manipulation - remember once a lot of very intelligent people thought smoking was good too!), and therefore contributing to the general stagnation of the planet.

Why not push inefficient V8 engines from fat American motor companies as well while your at it ?

Where's the future we were promised 30 years ago when man landed on the moon ? Never arrived did it because 90% of the world accept whatever shit get's wrapped in cellophane and called 'the greatest' by the most economically powerful...the only reason MS are even trying a litter harder is because of Apple....

Microsoft is the ruling hegemony - that's all it exists to perpetuate - NOTHING ELSE.

Time to Wake up and understand the world you actually live in, rather than the one the TV is telling you you live in...

There's a reason MS used the 'flat earth theory' in their ad's and that was because sooner or later people were going to realise they were the force keeping the world in the dark ages.

Don't get me wrong, I know Apple's not perfect - heck a long way from it, but they at least hold aspirations towards this elusive thing called quality...at least they have a 'dream' I can believe in and act accordingly...

P.S - the only thing I'm sorry about is that my post may read a little elitist, because I don't condone that...and it seems to exist because of the the one terrible thing about Apple : their high prices. I do hope one day they become the best and the cheapest because then the less financially fortunate can enjoy them too, however in a capitalist labour economy that's VERY hard to accomplish. And I'd like to clarify that I'm not suggesting 90% of the word is an idiot. just those swayed by those stupid MS adverts reffered to in this survey...

BUT 90% of the world HAS been conned....
  • Reply 139 of 178
    Advertising is usually misleading.

There is usually a little hyperbole.

But these Microsoft ads have been nothing but PURE BULLSHIT.

The HP v. MacBook type stuff, where they both have the same processor but the MacBook has 2GB of RAM and the HP 4GB of RAM, and the HP costs less.

As if that were all there was in the world!

1066MHz FSB (MacBook) v. 800MHz FSB (most HPs... STILL)

DDR3-1066 RAM (MacBook) v. DDR2-800 RAM (most HPs.... STILL)

What use is having the same processor if you cripple it?

Oh, and let us not forget that Vista is a freaking memory hog.

Never mind that all of these ads are focused on initial cost of the hardware and not cost over time, or additional software. Forget that Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student will set you back $99, $129 or $149 depending on where you buy it from while iWork would set you back $40 with a new Mac. Home and Student includes Word, Excel and Powerpoint. iWork includes Pages, Numbers and Keynote. I may prefer Office '08 for Mac, but the average user doesn't need anything more than iWork provides.

Side thought: Why the heck does it cost the same to get the Mac version of Home and Student when it includes more? You see the Windows version again only has Word, Excel and Powerpoint but the Mac version has Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Entourage.

What about the cost of service?

The ease of service?

The cost of virus software?

Media software? Nero and Photoshop Elements together is the closest to replicating iLife, that's $49 for Nero and and $85.99 for Photoshop Elements off Newegg.

That's just a few examples.

My God in heaven, do people not think?
  • Reply 140 of 178
    yoder54yoder54 Posts: 7member
    It is always nice to see evidence that the herd instinct is alive and well in America. Unfortunately, it comes at a cost...less critical thinking.