Microsoft's ads doing damage to Apple: study

Comments

• Reply 101 of 178
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Why the f@ck would a consumer care about Apples market cap, or stock price?

AI should set up a parallel site, and herd into it all of the idiots who constantly reference Apple's financial figures -- as if they have any bearing on the user experience, or value of their products.

That is so true and one of the best posts I've ever read here.
  • Reply 102 of 178
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The economy and ads may lure them in, but the inferiority of the OS will undoubtedly cause them to make the switch.

- I started out on a cheap PC, too.
  • Reply 103 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

The economy and ads may lure them in, but the inferiority of the OS will undoubtedly cause them to make the switch.

- I started out on a cheap PC, too.

Most people don't even know what an OS is.
  • Reply 104 of 178
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Brand Index is a company that you can hire to do these types of surveys. I wonder who hired them to find this information out. A buck says that Microsoft is the client.

[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1419072]Even as critics have attacked Microsoft for bending the truth in its PCs-are-cheaper ad campaign, one firm's research shows that it might be working and turning the public minds, though not necessarily wallets, away from Apple.

After talking regularly with 5,000 people over the course of several months, ad trackers at BrandIndex discovered that Microsoft overtook Apple in value perception scores --
  • Reply 105 of 178
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Most people don't even know what an OS is.

I surely didn't. But after an army of viruses, constant crashes, and the infamous blue screens of death, I learned quickly. I was literally reinstalling Windows a couple of times every week.

• Reply 106 of 178
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Why the f@ck would a consumer care about Apples market cap, or stock price?

AI should set up a parallel site, and herd into it all of the idiots who constantly reference Apple's financial figures -- as if they have any bearing on the user experience, or value of their products.

This is a good question. Seriously.

The consumer should care for a number of reasons: (i) Companies that are doing poorly on the stock price (etc) front are doing so perhaps because they're selling poor quality products that do not result in a great consumer experience -- i.e., a low stock price is likely correlated with a whole host of underlying product-related issues; (ii) Companies that do well on that front can do more R&D, do better new product development, find the best suppliers to work with, attract better talent (both in the form of employees and software developers), and have a lower cost of capital; (iii) Companies that do poorly on that front have increased risk of financial distress, and therefore increased likelihood of not being able to deliver on implied warranties and promises for the future; (iv) Consumers are also often shareholders, through their retirement plans and such (or even through their personal investments): a company whose stock price does well is obviously better in that regard.

The bottom line is: a high (low) stock price can create a virtuous (vicious) cycle for all stakeholders, including consumers.
  • Reply 107 of 178
    These potential customers (if real at all) are obviously idiots and Apple is generally better off without them as they would be a senseless drain on valuable resources and generally lower the brand integrity as people would associated these idiots with the decision to buy Apple.

Overall this is a good thing.

Apple's next Campaign should be something along the lines of ;

Do you seriously believe Microsoft's 'No really, Vista's all fixed now that we've renamed it Windows 7'?

Do you seriously trust this company after all the crooked shit they've pulled over the years??

Are you really going to give money to these crooks?

Are you seriously incapable of ascertaining the true measure of quality?

If Yes, go immediately to PC store and buy cheap crap PC...

Though Apple has gone kind of quiet and a little bit sleepy lately...
  • Reply 108 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is a good question. Seriously.

The consumer should care for a number of reasons: (i) Companies that are doing poorly on the stock price (etc) front are doing so perhaps because they're selling poor quality products that do not result in a great consumer experience -- i.e., a low stock price is likely correlated with a whole host of underlying product-related issues; (ii) Companies that do well on that front can do more R&D, do better new product development, find the best suppliers to work with, attract better talent (both in the form of employees and software developers), and have a lower cost of capital; (iii) Companies that do poorly on that front have increased risk of financial distress, and therefore increased likelihood of not being able to deliver on implied warranties and promises for the future; (iv) Consumers are also often shareholders, through their retirement plans and such (or even through their personal investments): a company that well is obviously better in that regard.

The bottom line is: a high (low) stock price can create a virtuous (vicious) cycle for all stakeholders, including consumers.

Right and in a perfect world people should vote for their politicians based on their policies and not their personalties.

The bottom line: not gonna happen.
  • Reply 109 of 178
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimmy01 View Post

You really have to be an ignorant low class idiot to be a Windows user/deliberate PC buyer. There is no other way to put it. MS bet that 90% of the world population are imbeciles. Turns out they were right. Apple doesn't have to rule the world. We don't want that trash anyhow...MS can KEEP IT.

Dude, that was some awesome flamebait! It's been years since I saw flamebait this good that wasn't immediately deleted by the moderators, because it takes guts to say publicly that 90% of people are idiots. Lots of people think it, but it takes some real cajones to actually come out and say it.
  • Reply 110 of 178
    Okay, let's all be little automaton droids and believe everything we hear on TV.

But seriously, Apple's most appropriate response is an ad addressing TCO--Total Cost of Ownership--because let's face it, that PC will probably cost far more in the long run. want MS Office? it'll cost you hundreds of dollars. let's not forget that antivirus software you'll not only need to purchase, but pay for an annual subscription.

and so on.
  • Reply 111 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

These potential customers (if real at all) are obviously idiots and Apple is generally better off without them as they would be a senseless drain on valuable resources and generally lower the brand integrity as people would associated these idiots with the decision to buy Apple.

Do you seriously believe Microsoft's 'No really, Vista's all fixed now that we've renamed it Windows 7'?

Do you seriously trust this company after all the crooked shit they've pulled over the years??

I love the way fanboyz rant and rave about "crooks" and "crap" and "trust'. Meanwhile the whole corporate world revolves around Microsoft. Not being a troll, only a realist.
  • Reply 112 of 178
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

I surely didn't. But after an army of viruses, constant crashes, and the infamous blue screens of death, I learned quickly. I was literally reinstalling Windows a couple of times every week.

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this. The only way your statements are true is if you are the most incompetent computer user in the world and then insisted on running Windows on a failing hard drive (which would also make you incompetent).

Or maybe you shouldn't have picked up your copy of XP from a Torrent site.
  • Reply 113 of 178
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Right and in a perfect world people should vote for their politicians based on their policies and not their personalties.

The bottom line: not gonna happen.

Really? Consider Apple and GM as two extreme examples. Which one of those four points I made would not apply? (Of course, in the case of GM, substitute 'component suppliers' for 'software developers').
  • Reply 114 of 178
    I've been a satisfied MacBook Pro owner for several months now (having used a MacMini and iMac before). Once in a while, I peruse the PC notebook section. The lousy trackpads alone put me off from every buying a PC notebook. I prefer the MacBook Pro trackpad to a mouse. On my Dell notebook at work, I absolutely have to plug in my mouse to use it. The trackpad is totally unusable.

I'm guess Apple must have thousands of patents on the trackpad, which is probably why nobody else has tried to replicated it. Hell, I don't know why PC makers can't just *increase* the size of their trackpads. They're too damn small.
  • Reply 115 of 178
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:

Sounds like bad hardware, user error, or complete bs. If you have the know how to reinstall Windows, you have the know how to install anti virus software.

Constant crashes and blue screens do point to bad ram or something though. If errors seem random, and the computer crashes randomly, I'd run memtest before pointing at Windows to blame. Even Macs have occasional hardware issues.

Postulant points out a problem with PC's though: If you're absolutely brain dead when it comes to this stuff, you're going to have a negative experience with Windows. Paying the premium price for a Mac comes with a much higher level of peace of mind. There's definitely a lot less hassle with the OS, but you get what you pay for. You get a system that the OS was built for, and you get an OS that isn't constantly under a barrage of virus attacks.

Here's what I see happening; Today, the number of young people who know their way around problems with PC's far out number the same group ten years ago. Computers are less confusing to those who grew up with them, and now we're seeing the "elementary school Windows 98 crowd" grown up, with jobs, making their own purchases based on what is most practical to them, and this will influence the market in different ways. As someone who's been building computers since 5th-6th grade, I won't discredit the potential a Mac has, but at the same time I'll defend the practicality of a PC any day.
  • Reply 116 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I've been a satisfied MacBook Pro owner for several months now (having used a MacMini and iMac before). Once in a while, I peruse the PC notebook section. The lousy trackpads alone put me off from every buying a PC notebook. I prefer the MacBook Pro trackpad to a mouse. On my Dell notebook at work, I absolutely have to plug in my mouse to use it. The trackpad is totally unusable.

I'm guess Apple must have thousands of patents on the trackpad, which is probably why nobody else has tried to replicated it. Hell, I don't know why PC makers can't just *increase* the size of their trackpads. They're too damn small.

I notice the same thing, and it was something my mom complained about with her new Asus notebook. I checked out the settings, and after increasing the mouse speed, and touch sensitivity, my mom was ecstatic. But why should anyone need to mess with these settings? The notebook they try out at best buy hasn't been configured this way either, which is why you notice it. It makes no sense to me, but configuring the touch settings is just something these companies assume people will understand.

Oh also, what amazed me was on her notebook, the asus multitouch stuff was disabled by default. Once I enabled it, she said it was like I gave her a whole new touch pad. Using two fingers to scroll up and down on webpages seems to be her favorite thing about it.
  • Reply 117 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? Consider Apple and GM as two extreme examples. Which one of those four points I made would not apply? (Of course, in the case of GM, substitute 'component suppliers' for 'software developers').

I not saying your points don't apply. I'm saying only that the average consumer could care less about them when they buy anything- period. That's why Apple has to invade WalMArt now - to go after those that don't follow any of your points.
  • Reply 118 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surferfromuk View Post

I almost didn't know if I should respond to this. This comment is so disgustingly ignorant it probably doesn't doesn't deserve attention from anybody. You say Apple is better off without stupid people, and yet here you are, saying things like this.
  • Reply 119 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

I notice the same thing, and it was something my mom complained about with her new Asus notebook. I checked out the settings, and after increasing the mouse speed, and touch sensitivity, my mom was ecstatic. But why should anyone need to mess with these settings? The notebook they try out at best buy hasn't been configured this way either, which is why you notice it. It makes no sense to me, but configuring the touch settings is just something these companies assume people will understand.

Oh also, what amazed me was on her notebook, the asus multitouch stuff was disabled by default. Once I enabled it, she said it was like I gave her a whole new touch pad. Using two fingers to scroll up and down on webpages seems to be her favorite thing about it.

The PC trackpads are still too small, even if it's possible to enable multi-touch on them. The lack of physical buttons allows Apple to make theirs bigger, which gives me twice as much scroll space on one swipe of my finger.
  • Reply 120 of 178
    Quote:

I not saying your points don't apply. I'm saying only that the average consumer could care less about them when they buy anything- period. That's why Apple has to invade WalMArt now - to go after those that don't follow any of your points.

Hey now, WalMart has low prices, which means stupid poor people must shop there, which means it would lower Apple's "brand integrity" if they sold to these morons. Lets be realistic here. Stupid white trash that shop at WalMart have no place in the Apple community!

</sarcasm> (For those who don't understand it on the internet :P)