Steve Jobs sounding "energetic" a month before return to Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Steve Wozniak had to opportunity to speak with Steve Jobs recently and said the Apple chief executive sounded ?healthy" and "energetic? a little over a month before he's scheduled to return to the company.

The Apple co-founder made the comments Wednesday from the sidelines of the Wall Street Journal's All Things D conference, where Jobs has been a guest of honor on many occasions (1, 2, 3, 4).

Although Wozniak admitted to having never asked Jobs about his health directly, he told representatives for the financial paper that his one-time pal ?doesn?t sound like he?s sick,? nor does he appear to be battling a dire health problem.

The upbeat comments contrast with those made by Jobs' real estate attorney Howard Ellman last month during a town council meeting to determine whether the chief executive should be free to demolish a historic but abandoned mansion he owns in the Woodside Hills.

"I don't think he would be strong enough if we were here until 1 a.m., and I think there's a strong possibility of that," Ellman said, referring to the time it would take for the local review board to hear all arguments on the matter.

Jobs said in January that he would take a medical leave from his daily role at Apple through the end of June in order to attend to health issues that turned out to be "more complex" than he originally thought.

Although he underwent successful surgery for pancreatic cancer in 2004, Jobs' health would again emerge as a topic of public concern when he appeared increasingly gaunt during Apple media events in 2007 and 2008.

Wall Street analysts have used recent quarterly conference calls to press members of Apple's leadership for an update on Jobs' health, to which they've responded by saying they still expect him to return at the end of June.

It remains unclear in what capacity Jobs will return to the company. Some analysts have speculated that if he does return, it will be in the form of a reduced role such as Chairman.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well.

• Reply 2 of 72
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Hope he lives and prospers for decades longer!

(Even more than Apple, I'd like to see what he does with his wealth: someone like him is likely to redefine the giving/philanthropy business as well, and I'd be really curious to see him address that business model).
  • Reply 3 of 72
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    H.e.l.l.o.

I a.m. S.t.e.v.e j.o.b.s. 2.0
  • Reply 4 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

(Even more than Apple, I'd like to see what he does with his wealth: someone like him is likely to redefine the giving/philanthropy business as well, and I'd be really curious to see him address that business model).

What makes u say that?
  • Reply 5 of 72
    striker_kkstriker_kk Posts: 246member
    Now the question is:

Where is the puck going to be?
  • Reply 6 of 72
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I was just in the Steve Jobs transporter at Fifth Ave NYC this afternoon and can only wish him a healthy return. We need his visionary talents.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Get well soon Steve.
  • Reply 8 of 72
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Hope he lives and prospers for decades longer!

Knowing how exacting he can be, I would like to see that too. However, I'm not sure Steve buys into philanthropy. It seems he would do that only after leaving Apple completely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

What makes u say that?

Because he's determined to be successful in whatever he puts his hand to? Even if he isn't successful the first time around? And because he thinks he can do it better?
  • Reply 9 of 72
    Quote:

What makes u say that?

He's redefined at least three companies -- and God only knows how many 'businesses' within those three, such as, say telephony versus computer software versus computer hardware versus multimedia in just one of those -- that we know of.

With that kind of a batting average, I see no reason why he would not transform the next business with which he chooses to get involved.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

...... I'm not sure Steve buys into philanthropy.......

Ah, you'd be surprised at what a heightened sense of mortality can do to folks...
  • Reply 11 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Because he's determined to be successful in whatever he puts his hand to? Even if he isn't successful the first time around? And because he thinks he can do it better?

Quote:

He's redefined at least three companies -- and God only knows how many 'businesses' within those three, such as, say telephony versus computer software versus computer hardware versus multimedia in just one of those -- that we know of.

With that kind of a batting average, I see no reason why he would not transform the next business with which he chooses to get involved.

What I mean is, what makes you think he'd become a philanthropist?
  • Reply 12 of 72
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Get well, get well soon, we want you to get well.

Ok, I see what you did there.
  • Reply 13 of 72
    Quote:

What I mean is, what makes you think he'd become a philanthropist?

See #11 above!
  • Reply 14 of 72
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Does this mean that we are going to see the other "Steve" compete in Dancing with the Stars next season?

• Reply 15 of 72
    I always enjoy hearing from Woz, even though he's mildly insane.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    woz is a joke, nobody listens to him anymore.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Meh, unless he's demoing a tablet I don't want him back
  • Reply 18 of 72
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

woz is a joke, nobody listens to him anymore.

Ease on Woz, he's done more than anyone on this forum will ever do combined.

It's good to know that Woz and Jobs are still friendly considering they both took sick leave from Apple at one point in their lives.

Steve, get well soon! Hopefully you'll be up and giving keynotes again real soon.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
  • Reply 20 of 72
    nano_tubenano_tube Posts: 114member
    Please Mr Jobs! Please!!! Quit Apple already... go home!

Let the younger generation take over.

Maybe then we will have a normal Mac desktop that is reasonably priced...

Not a mac mini, not an imac, not a mac pro - just a mac with normal hardware, normal price and the only reason why 99% of us buy macs in the first place - OS X!

Last but not least, I wish you Mr. Jobs all the best and a long healthy life.

Nano_tube