Online vendor claims sale of first third-gen iPhone parts (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You just repeated what I wrote.

There is an entire sentence prior to my statement about people being upset so why take only last part that is qualified with an ?of course? to complete my statement about what HD aspects this Zune will have to focus on? I never said they would be upset my HD radio I stated they would be upset with the title of HD when the built-in display is not HD. I think most people won?t even care about HD radio.

1) I was just adding the point about it being able to output externally in full 720p with a dock -- I don't see you stating that in your post, just that the graphics chip itself could do 720p.

2) I wasn't the only one confused by your statement. The way it was worded, it made it seem like someone would be upset over HD radio. And looking at the other comments, I wasn't the only one confused
  • Reply 22 of 62
    jb85jb85 Posts: 33member
    i was just looking at my iphone thinking what it would look like with a black metallic bezel. i think it would look pretty cool. maybe even with a black metallic apple. highly unlikely but it would look pretty sweet. i do think that somebody has too much time on their hands. that or the article did say that china ontrade makes aftermarket parts for the iphone. maybe they are making custom aftermarket parts for the 3G or the next gen. (just a thought)
  • Reply 23 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I love it- you even come up with an excuse for Apple's excuses.

It?s amazing that you still don?t see how Apple?s business reasons are not the same as your own selfish reasons. It?s quite important that you comprehend this very simple concept if you are ever going to understand the world at large.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

It’s amazing that you still don’t see how Apple’s business reasons are not the same as your own selfish reasons. It’s quite important that you comprehend this very simple concept if you are ever going to understand the world at large.

If anybody wants anything from Apple that they don't currently offer- they're either selfish or a complainer.

And yet I'm the one who "doesn't understand the world at large"?

You're the one stuck in narrowmindeness. Why is a radio bad, why is matte, firewire bad too? I'm wasting my time becuase you used to say the same thing about MMS, MMS pics, video, 7- 11 inches, etc, etc.

And now my accused complaints and selfishness iarenow coming unto fruition.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    I hope rumors are wrong and Apple doesn't go with the same POS screens they been using for the last 3 years now. If rumors are true, the Zune HD is gonna look pretty sweet this holiday season no matter how many crappy apps the touch might have.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

The Zune HD?s OLED is not HD, but the GPU can output 720p HD which means that your 720p content can be loaded and played on the device?s 480x272 3.2? display and, of course, it has the HD radio receiver. That may upset a few people.

It needs an expensive dock to output the 720p, which will make people buying this device to less than happy.

HD radio is not very good. It rarely has a bitrate higher than 100Kb/s, and often no more than 64 Kb/s.

To me, that's not much of a feature. Here we are moving to 256Kb/s, and HD radio is far behind.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:

If anybody wants anything from Apple that they don't currently offer- they're either selfish or a complainer.

Teckstud being a troll again. He didn't use the word "selfish" in the way you are using it, so relax. Why the constant need to create polemics? Are you that alone in the universe?
  • Reply 28 of 62
    Quote:

Why would you think that Apple would need an "excuse"?

It seems to me that a "reason" would be more correct.

Perhaps Apple isn't satisfied with some aspect of the OLED's presented to them. Possibly they can't get one that is in the correct size/rez for their needs.

Other manufacturers might be willing to accept whatever manufacturers make. Apple could be much more resolved to maintain a standard. Would you find it hard to believe that Apple has likely been testing OLEDS?

We don't know. Why do you have to characterize it as an "excuse"?
  • Reply 29 of 62
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    We had a team of artists create an "artist's impression" of what an iPhone with such a bezel would look like:

http://twitpic.com/63yd6

Frankly, having done it, I am not 100% convinced. It's just not very Apple-ish to have a seam in the outside edge of a device.

C
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Teckstud being a troll again. He didn't use the word "selfish" in the way you are using it, so relax. Why the constant need to create polemics? Are you that alone in the universe?

Not trolling - only a realist. And since when does selfish have two diferrent meanings?

My requests benefit everybody not just my own.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why would you think that Apple would need an "excuse"?

It seems to me that a "reason" would be more correct.

Perhaps Apple isn't satisfied with some aspect of the OLED's presented to them. Possibly they can't get one that is in the correct size/rez for their needs.

Other manufacturers might be willing to accept whatever manufacturers make. Apple could be much more resolved to maintain a standard. Would you find it hard to believe that Apple has likely been testing OLEDS?

We don't know. Why do you have to characterize it as an "excuse"?

Ask solipism and Mazda 3s , not me. He's the one replying to another poster blaming Apple on excuses. He just came up with an excuse for the excuse accusation. I'm merely commenting as a bystander.

I would use something slightly more creative than "excuse".
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

I hope rumors are wrong and Apple doesn't go with the same POS screens they been using for the last 3 years now. If rumors are true, the Zune HD is gonna look pretty sweet this holiday season no matter how many crappy apps the touch might have.

The Zune screen is a lower rez than Apple's screen, and by a fair amount. It's touted as being 16:9, which is 480 x 272. It's also a smaller screen at 3.3 inches which doesn't sound like much, but will be much smaller visually.

I'm not impressed.

This looks like a '90's techno design. It looks like some of my old PCMIA adapters. In fact, from the side and rear, it looks almost EXACTLY like one, except for being larger. Strange retro design.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-microsoft.ars
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:

Not trolling - only a realist. And since when does selfish have two diferrent meanings?

My requests benefit everybody not just my own.

He used "selfish" as in each one's desires, demand vs supply 101 thing. You were using it as in "my desire, FO!"

Clearly they are different. But of course that for an absolutist like you this kind of ambiguity is impossible to happen.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

He used "selfish" as in each one's desires, demand vs supply 101 thing. You were using it as in "my desire, FO!"

Clearly they are different. But of course that for an absolutist like you this kind of ambiguity is impossible to happen.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/selfish

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inept
  • Reply 35 of 62
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

We had a team of artists create an "artist's impression" of what an iPhone with such a bezel would look like:

http://twitpic.com/63yd6

Frankly, having done it, I am not 100% convinced. It's just not very Apple-ish to have a seam in the outside edge of a device.

C

That's really nice looking!
  • Reply 36 of 62
    [ed: no personal attacks]
  • Reply 37 of 62
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

Well, it's very true, Apple do not normally add or omit a feature just for fun! Or because they are lazy. It's normally a well thought out tradeoff.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

2) I wasn't the only one confused by your statement. The way it was worded, it made it seem like someone would be upset over HD radio. And looking at the other comments, I wasn't the only one confused

While that is true the other was Teckstud, which isn?t exactly hard proof. You are very correct, regardless if my sentence is grammatically correct or not, the goal of any communication is to get one?s point across clearly and accurately. It?s easy to forget how much the internet as been able to group people from different cultures, learned backgrounds and ages so easily into the same forum. However, I do stand by my original statement. If I had meant for the last sentence to refer to only the last part of the previous sentence, and not the whole sentence, I would have separated that out into ?I think the HD Radio may upset a few people.?
  • Reply 39 of 62
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

The Zune HD?s OLED is not HD, but the GPU can output 720p HD which means that your 720p content can be loaded and played on the device?s 480x272 3.2? display and, of course, it has the HD radio receiver. That may upset a few people.

Quote:

Because maybe you need top learn to write in a clear manner- not ones that areopen to many interpretations that you can twist to your advantage like this one?

Having said that- your comment is preposterous. People will know it's not the screen because you cannot advertise that, if it is false. Unlike "Twice as Fast".

I think more people would care for HD radio than you think. In fact radio is a good idea- period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

1) I was just adding the point about it being able to output externally in full 720p with a dock -- I don't see you stating that in your post, just that the graphics chip itself could do 720p.

Hm, I had no problem understanding what solipsism meant. It was pretty obvious that the "upset" was in reference to the misleading naming of the product. Being upset about the inclusion of HD radio would be silly, and only if you were looking for something to criticize would you think that's what was meant. Including the HD radio bit was to help explain why it's called Zune HD despite not being able to diplay HD video.

And the original comment is not preposterous. Until I read this thread, I assumed the "HD" in Zune HD has something to do with HD video. HD radio is still pretty obscure, and many people would have no clue what it is. Calling it Zune HD is a pretty blatant attempt to mislead poeple. Remember, not everyone (in fact, very few people) are tech savvy and look at the detailed specs for the products they buy.

You can be sure the marketing will looks something like, "Zune HD - plays HD video and receives HD radio." All true, but the screen resolution will probably be some footnote on the page someplace, and a lot of poeple won't notice that the screen itself is not HD until after they've made their purchase. (Of course, I believe in "let the buyer beware" so it's their own damn fault for not understanding what they've purchased; but that doesn't change the fact that it's misleading.)

And in all the press releases and web postings I've seen, this was never explained. Thus my assumption that the HD was purely to do with video. So it's probably also an attempt to stall purchases of iPod touches, because people will think that MS is coming out with an HD video player. So people hold of making an Apple purchase, buying time for MS to get their sh@t together in the hopes they'll buy a Zune instead of an iPod.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    pairof9spairof9s Posts: 67member
    This isn't for the new iPhone. This is for the ChiPhone...the cheap ripoff phone that steals the iPhone's features and sells it as its own to a country so corrupt as to see benefit not complicity in such actions.