Online vendor claims sale of first third-gen iPhone parts (photos)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Are you that alone in the universe?

Seriously, I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would hang out with this person.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    This is what I'm hoping the higher speaker is for:

• Reply 43 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The Zune screen is a lower rez than Apple's screen, and by a fair amount. It's touted as being 16:9, which is 480 x 272. It's also a smaller screen at 3.3 inches which doesn't sound like much, but will be much smaller visually.

I'm not impressed.

This looks like a '90's techno design. It looks like some of my old PCMIA adapters. In fact, from the side and rear, it looks almost EXACTLY like one, except for being larger. Strange retro design.

1) The ppi is slightly higher than the iPhone. Does OLED have enough visual benefits to make the image look better even at about the same pixel density as an LCD?

2) Besides the smaller screen, I think the 16:9 aspect ratio is less attractive than the iPhone’s 3:2. I’m sure some will like the widescreen, but less screen height is not a plus to me when watching videos.

3) I quite like the design and have felt the Zune UI is a notch above Apple’s offerings in many regards.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Yes... my thoughts when hearing about the short topped bezel... hoping for a front-facing camera behind the newly extended glass.

:d

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post

This is what I'm hoping the higher speaker is for:

• Reply 45 of 62
    I'm still hoping for an OLED on the US/European models so maybe this is the display for the rumored Asian models or nano?
  • Reply 46 of 62
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

Well *you too *.

Here are two better links.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

A HD radio is still pretty obscure, and many people would have no clue what it is.

The term "HD Radio" seem unique to the United States. In the rest of the world, it's Digital Radio. Or DAB.

Zune DR does not have the same ring.

C.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

"Family Guy" episode pardoying the movie Shawshank Redemption.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    The updated artist rendition. Give me a break. You might as well post a photo of a lump of crap, because that is how valid this article is. Wow...photos of an iPhone bezel. Ooooh.

I don't know why most of you are getting excited about this. When the product is actually announced, all you do is find a reason to complain about what it should have been, based on the fake rumors and fantasies. But it is fun to read how gullible some people are.

There is an article about the Zune, so take all your posts about OLED screens and dump them in that forum. If the iPhone had an OLED screen, most of you would find a reason to complain about it.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

OLEDs have been on the market for cell phones and other devices for quite a while. Hell, the C6 Chevrolet Corvette has an OLED display in the instrument cluster for the Driver Information Center. The C6 Corvette has been around since 2005...

I don't understand why people are so quick to downplay the technology or its acceptance in the marketplace if it doesn't make into the iPhone this time around.

As for other devices using OLED screens, here's a five-page list:

http://www.oled-info.com/devices

So I don't want to hear anymore excuses. That being said, I'm crossing my fingers that the iPhone will come with an OLED screen. I'm definitely getting one to replace my iPod touch + el cheapo LG phone.

Corvette is certainly not a high seller, I think it's a nice car, but it's not a volume product. I didn't see any items in there that looked like were selling at a rate of 15+ million a year to show me there is enough capacity. Whatever Apple chooses, there absolutely needs to be sufficient capacity to make as many as they need. Apple sells big numbers of a small variety of products, Nokia, etc. sell smaller numbers each of a much larger variety of products. Also, the majority of those listings appear to be for very small screens.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It’s amazing that you still don’t see how Apple’s business reasons are not the same as your own selfish reasons. It’s quite important that you comprehend this very simple concept if you are ever going to understand the world at large.

Aren't business reasons also likely selfish reasons? It could be a bit of a word play to impugn one party more than another for what may well be the same kind of motivation. Apple tries to make decisions in their best interests, prospective customers or otherwise try to make decisions in their own best interests.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Aren't business reasons also likely selfish reasons? It could be a bit of a word play to impugn one party more than another for what may well be the same kind of motivation. Apple tries to make decisions in their best interests, prospective customers or otherwise try to make decisions in their own best interests.

Sure, we could even discuss how everything we do is selfish at its core, but that is not appropriate for this forum and it wasn?t the issue. I thought I clearly stated that what Apple wants is not what TeckStud wants in the sentence by specifically referring to ?Apple? and ?your own? in the aforementioned sentence. In other words, a specific user?s wants in not necessarily what Apple wants.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    OLED (imho) is not ready for bigger-screen prime-time. From many articles I've read over the past year, they still have problems with durability. Meaning, the screen will wear out before people stop using said product. In addition, beyond a certain size, they become way too expensive which is why most are limited to tiny cell-phone screens.

Hasn't anyone here noticed why OLED is not yet available for the masses for televisions? Even small TV's?

If Apple were to introduce OLED screens in its current state, and they wear out prematurely, I can certainly see people screaming foul and a slew of class-action lawsuits filed against Apple b******g as to why Apple would use such technology that wasn't ready.

If Microsoft comes out with an OLED Zune in the size stated, I'm really curious as to how well it will perform in the long run. Let them be the guinea pig on this one since M$ is known for crappy products anyways. If it in fact works well, I see no issue with Apple upgrading their products. I bet Apple does have a few prototype devices in their skunkworks labs with OLED and stress-testing them.

But no, there are certain ego-inflated, selfish whiners on this forum (and you know who you are Teckstud), that always seem to escape the isolation of their parents' basement to claim they know better than any other person in the industry on how to run a business. For those people (Teckstud), I say - "Back to your parent's basement!"... We... will... not... miss... you....
  • Reply 53 of 62
    sandrosandro Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When it comes to the purported third-gen iPhone bezel, China Ontrade's claims become increasingly suspect. Most notably the bezel, which appears metallic black as opposed to silver like the current iPhone, ends abruptly just shy of where the iPhone's home button would lie. It would seem uncharacteristic of Apple, which is all about smooth, flowing edges, to introduce new seams on its product. However, the repositioning of the earpiece towards the top of the unit could clear the way for some additional sensors or a front-mounted camera.

Putting the earpiece on the top edge of the phone strikes me as stupid. I doubt Apple would do this. Besides screwing up the design of the iPhone, it makes no functional sense. When you hold a phone, you don't stick the edge in your ear. You can make room for a forward camera without putting the earpiece in such a crappy location. Until I see more proof, I am calling this bogus.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Sure, we could even discuss how everything we do is selfish at its core, but that is not appropriate for this forum and it wasn?t the issue. I thought I clearly stated that what Apple wants is not what TeckStud wants in the sentence by specifically referring to ?Apple? and ?your own? in the aforementioned sentence. In other words, a specific user?s wants in not necessarily what Apple wants.

That's true, but still, it is a loaded term, and it looked to me that its application was asymmetric, that's why I asked.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's true, but still, it is a loaded term, and it looked to me that its application was asymmetric, that's why I asked.

I see your point, but I had thought I qualified my statement well enough with the references to two specific entities. You are one of the most objective posters on this forum so if you don’t think it was specific enough I accept that i should write more clearly to Teckstud… or not at all.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Thanks for the second one, stompy
  • Reply 57 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Thanks for the second one, stompy

Fear not sir.... while your momentary dropping of the vocabulary standard was understandable considering the person whom which phrase was intended for (teckstud), we should all feel pity for an individual that was most likely dropped numerous times on his head as a baby and teenager, ran over while playing in his parent's driveway - twice - both forward and in reverse, froze his tongue on a winter pole, and can relate to the character "Sloth" from the movie "The Goonies".

You're forgiven.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    treestmantreestman Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by psychodoughboy View Post

Well, looks like it's not gonna have OLED. Hopefully they'll catch up on that front in next year's revision - if Microsoft can do it, surely Apple can afford to as well.

Keep in mind Microsoft is using a 16:9 screen, which is smaller than the iPhone's. It's also cheaper than its 16:10 counterpart.

Also keep in mind that Microsoft will not need anywhere near as many of these as Apple would. I wouldn't discount the possibility that Apple cannot get gaurantees on the quantity they'd need.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

"Family Guy" episode pardoying the movie Shawshank Redemption.

Good one, I needed that today
  • Reply 60 of 62
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The Zune screen is a lower rez than Apple's screen, and by a fair amount. It's touted as being 16:9, which is 480 x 272. It's also a smaller screen at 3.3 inches which doesn't sound like much, but will be much smaller visually.

I'm not impressed.

This looks like a '90's techno design. It looks like some of my old PCMIA adapters. In fact, from the side and rear, it looks almost EXACTLY like one, except for being larger. Strange retro design.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...-microsoft.ars

What everyone is missing out is - for such a small screen, colour rendition and dynamic range likely mean more than resolution. If OLED is really looking so much better than standard displays, perceived difference can justify HD moniker just fine.